1st place for most yellow cards: 13 - Nicky Butt

13th place for most yellow cards: 9 - Alan Smith

4th place for amount of fouls conceeded: 80 - Alan Smith

20th place for amount of fouls conceeded: 60 - Nicky Butt

1st place for amount of tackles lost: 43 - Nicky Butt

Most goal attemts created: No newcastle player in top 35

5th place for total passes: 1630 - Nicky Butt

9th place for accurate passes: 1221 - Nicky Butt

75 percent completion rate compared with 83 percent completion for Michael Carrick and and 86 percent for Flamini, 80 percent for Gerrard. etc.

Team Rankings

Most Goals Scored: 12th Newcastle - 45 goals

Most Goals Conceeded 3rd Newcastle - 65 goals (1 is Derby, 2 is Reading 4 is Birmingham City) bit worrying that bit.

Most Yellow Cards: 7th Newcastle - 63 yellow cards

Most Fouls conceeded: 14th Newcastle - 483 (Butt and Smith accounted for 29 percent of these)

Total Shots: 13th Newcastle - 359

Pretty clear that Butt and Smith are causing many more problems than they solve and puts some backing to the arguments that both are crap. It also shows that we need to improve in 2 areas. 1 the most important is midfield creativity. We need better passers and more creative players. The other is conceeding goals. We cannot afford to be in the bottom 3 in that category. If the midfield improves there wil be pressure taken off the defence. So these two problems go hand in hand.

Guest ObaStar

Smith has scored once in the last 3 years in the league and has 4 assists over those 3 years. Number of appearences in the last 3 years = 63

Guest LucaAltieri

Smith = crap

Butt = crap under Allardyce, alright under Keegan.

3rd Most Goals Conceeded, but under Keegan we picked up a good few clean sheets once we got going.

It's hard to judge a season just looking at the numbers.

Premier League Stats

13th place for most goals: 11 - Michael Owen

15th place for most assists: 7 - Geremi

75 percent completion rate compared with 83 percent completion for Michael Carrick and and 86 percent for Flamini, 80 percent for Gerrard. etc.

Team Rankings

Most Goals Conceeded 3rd Newcastle - 65 goals (1 is Derby, 2 is Reading 4 is Birmingham City) bit worrying that bit.

Most Fouls conceeded: 14th Newcastle - 483 (Butt and Smith accounted for 29 percent of these)

Pretty clear that Butt and Smith are causing many more problems than they solve and puts some backing to the arguments that both are crap. It also shows that we need to improve in 2 areas. 1 the most important is midfield creativity. We need better passers and more creative players. The other is conceeding goals. We cannot afford to be in the bottom 3 in that category. If the midfield improves there wil be pressure taken off the defence. So these two problems go hand in hand.

How many of these were less than 10 yards and backwards tho!

Thing is the performance of individual players (excluding Smith, who was shit throughout) has fluctuated so much based on manager, form, confidence, tactics etc. that it's difficult to judge anyone based on aggregate statistics.

Although I think it's fairly obvious regardless that Butt and Smith need to go.

Premier League Stats

13th place for most goals: 11 - Michael Owen

15th place for most assists: 7 - Geremi

Team Rankings

How many of these were less than 10 yards and backwards tho!

1221 were less than ten yards. 409 were attempted Hollywood passes to no one.

Guest ObaStar

we should give west ham a call see if they are interested in a bargain of 9 mill for smith. we could throw in shola for another 3 mill

Butt winds me right up. I don't like him much, but he's had some outstanding games - even recently.

Think I'm yet to get over Cardiff, if I'm honest.

Butt winds me right up. I don't like him much, but he's had some outstanding games - even recently.

He can't pass and doesn't have that engine anymore. He still has excellent positional awareness though.

He can't pass and doesn't have that engine anymore. He still has excellent positional awareness though.

His passing improved immeasurably during our good run, when the pressure was taken off him a bit and shared between Barton and Geremi as well. Or maybe Barton and Geremi just made his passes look better? I suppose the fact the team actually started passing as well, and moving a bit, helped him.

I dunno, but I'm his biggest critic, and he silenced me recently. His passing used to drive me mental, an' all. The cunt.

Butt has his uses, but I think Geremi is the better all round player of the two.

Also, when others talk about Owen not working half as well in a 442 as in a 433, I think they should be pointing their finger at Butt for this before they turn on our Number Ten.

Butt has his uses, but I think Geremi is the better all round player of the two.

Also, when others talk about Owen not working half as well in a 442 as in a 433, I think they should be pointing their finger at Butt for this before they turn on our Number Ten.

The second bit is right, but the first bit I can't agree with. Geremi as a footballer has been incredibly average all season, despite his statistics. I'd love to see our midfield in a race like. I'd bet they take 20 seconds to do 100m.

This. and other midfielders as well, generally were all crap in 442

Guest LucaAltieri

This. and other midfielders as well, generally were all crap in 442

Exactly, the reason the 4-3-3 worked is because we had more outlets on the pitch... Viduka able to hold up the ball and knock it to Oba or Owen. Owen coming deep to collect. Oba's pace. The odd driving run from Barton.

In the 4-4-2 the strikers were isolated and no one in midfield is a strong enough player to create anything going forward.

3rd Most Goals Conceeded, but under Keegan we picked up a good few clean sheets once we got going.

It's hard to judge a season just looking at the numbers.

Surely our goals conceded is slightly inflated by 4 games (Pompey, Villa, ManUtdx2) in which we gave up 30% of our season's conceded goals.  Admittedly, the defense needs sorting, but perhaps it doesn't need the overhaul some people think.

I wouldn't want Smith as a squad player.

I was hoping the fucker who caught his shirt at Goodison would chuck it straight back to him.

That or we could pass them off as Alan Smith and get them in the squad instead, surerly couldn't have been any worse.

The second bit is right, but the first bit I can't agree with. Geremi as a footballer has been incredibly average all season, despite his statistics. I'd love to see our midfield in a race like. I'd bet they take 20 seconds to do 100m.

As I see it:

Ability to burst forward: Both poor

Tackling: Butt better

Defensive positioning: Geremi better

Interceptions: Geremi better

Offensive positioning: Butt better

Shooting: Butt better

Physical ability: Butt slightly better.

Set pieces: Geremi best in squad in some areas of the pitch, other areas both poor.

Passing accuracy: Butt better

Range of passing: Geremi better

Usefulness of passes: Geremi better

As overall players they are of similar ability albeit with different strengths.

My main gripe with Butt is his passes is really the same gripe I have with Smith's passing, so maybe it is possible that playing for Manchester United has destroyed that area of both players game. At Manyoo, it didn't matter if Butt passed the ball to good foot, bad foot, into space, forwards, backwards, sideways, fast or slow as the likes of Giggs, Ronaldo, Scholes etc are gifted players who could make the most of whatever, Butt just needed to hit the target, and the recipient would do all the hard work. Hence today, Butt's passes are considered 'accurate.'

However, at Newcastle, a lot of his passes are just target practice. He gets the ball to the player, but it goes away from the player's run, or onto their bad foot, or going to fast to easily control. Hence we lose possession, and though it doesn't look like he's lost the ball he has lost it by putting his team mate under pressure.

Compare this to Geremi. A larger percentage of his passes are received in ways their team mates want to receive it. Even his criticised sideways passes often allow a team mate to run forward onto the ball in space, hence forward momentum isn't lost.

Smith has scored once in the last 3 years in the league and has 4 assists over those 3 years. Number of appearences in the last 3 years = 63

Who made the most of our attempts on goal?

Can't find stats for the last 16 (Keegans) games and I'm not working it out myself, but in the last 8 games....

Scored 14 (5th best)

Conceded 8 (4th best)

Points 14 (5th best)

That's all that I'm bothered about.  I know stats from Allardyce's time were bad, that's why he got sacked.