Amara Diane off to Qatar

Willow

We seem to be linked with a lot of African players btw.

And European players. Strange...

Not really considering the hassle of losing them all when the ANC comes around every two years.

Or was that your attempt at sarcasm?

Baggio, Director of NEGATIVE football and co founder of the "bring back sam" campeign. Who cares if hes african or not depends on him doing the job

Simmer down, shit lips.

Just means we gotta sign more players to cover the players we'll lose every 2 years. Its affected us already this year, will continue to affect us if the players turn out to be key.

Diane didn't even make the Ivory Coast's Cup of Nations squad in January so I don't see what the problem is.

If he comes here and plays well then he's likely to get a call up though don't you think considering he was dropped when they cut the squad down.

Just means we gotta sign more players to cover the players we'll lose every 2 years. Its affected us already this year, will continue to affect us if the players turn out to be key.

We lost 4 this past January and we've been linked with Diane, M'Bia, Sessegnon, Emana and Ebami.

scouting for bargain buys, kids and "potential"

One in ten makes it.

Complete shite and 2nd rate policy I'm afraid.

If it worked, manu and Chelsea would be doing it.

End of.

Guest Heneage

Bargain buys? Hardly, this isn't 500k for an Irish centre back. It's a decent signing that will provide other options. As for potential, if you don't think buying for the future is a good idea then I don't want to be a fan of your football club, look at Arsenal how many players do they take and develop at their academies, it's the future simple as, we can't go and buy World Cupwinners and what have you.

I'm wary of signing so many Africans for the sole reason we saw what happene to Pomepy this January.

Depends.  If he's playing well enough to force out Drogba, Arouna Kone and Kalou then it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.  Geremi wouldn't be that much of a loss (if he's still at the club in 2 years), Beye would be getting on, and it doesn't look like Martins' international career is going that well to be banking on playing for Nigeria in 2010 (www.nufc.com).

Double cross that bridge when we get there I suppose, but I wouldn't be worried at the moment.

We seem to be linked with a lot of African players btw.

And European players. Strange...

Not really considering the hassle of losing them all when the ANC comes around every two years.

Or was that your attempt at sarcasm?

Sorry, just didn't understand the point you were making. It is a consideration, the ANC.

Bargain buys? Hardly, this isn't 500k for an Irish centre back. It's a decent signing that will provide other options. As for potential, if you don't think buying for the future is a good idea then I don't want to be a fan of your football club, look at Arsenal how many players do they take and develop at their academies, it's the future simple as, we can't go and buy World Cupwinners and what have you.

I'm wary of signing so many Africans for the sole reason we saw what happene to Pomepy this January.

I don't care about Arsenal.

Wenger is a one off.

Like I said, manu and chelsea don't do it, you show me Wenger, and I will show you Ferguson and Mourhinho and tell you they buy the best players. Before them, Liverpool bought the best players. Clough broke transfer records. Revie broke transfer records. Keegan the first time bought the best players.

Its a signing that is hoped to be a "bargain" buy. Like it or not, this is the truth. Coming on the back of losing top targets to the likes of Spurs, if you think this sort of standard is good enough for NUFC, its your problem.

They won't succeed if they throw all their eggs into this ridiculous "bargain" idea. And they won't succeed if they operate tight financial restraints when trying to sign the best players. Money talks in any walk of life. I understand why people are rejecting this, but at the end of the day, they are paranoid, clueless and should apply common sense and look at these other clubs and accordingly observe how they get success.

Why don't you think we can't buy World Cup winners ? We have signed a few of those over the last 16 years or so, so why not now ?

Baggio, Director of NEGATIVE football and co founder of the "bring back sam" campeign. Who cares if hes african or not depends on him doing the job

Simmer down, s*** lips.

hook line and sinker made my morning :)

Guest VegasToon

We need a bigger squad and with Shola most likely leaving, why not take a chance for the price.

sorry,  I just don't understand why people are holding up clubs like pompey, Blackburn etc as role models.

Is this the height of your ambition for Newcastle ?

Why not consider the fact that pompey, Blackburn etc are also competing at the level of teams like Fulham, Birmingham, Bolton.

Simple fact is, if the club DOES  compete at the level of these smaller clubs you will be bleating your heads off.

An FA Cup will do me thanks.  :coolsmiley:

But to answer your question, no...signings like Diane (if he's coming) aren't the height of my ambition.  But this is a squad signing.  When you have a small squad not every signing has to be astounding.  Just a bit more depth and quality in one position for a reasonable amount of money.  The big names and big money can be spent elsewhere (a creative midfielder hopefully).

If and when we are in a position to challenge the top 4, we can have a summer like Chelsea.  But until then we have to be realistic.

Guest VegasToon

sorry,  I just don't understand why people are holding up clubs like pompey, Blackburn etc as role models.

Why not consider the fact that pompey, Blackburn etc are also competing at the level of teams like Fulham, Birmingham, Bolton.

Simple fact is, if the club DOES  compete at the level of these smaller clubs you will be bleating your heads off.

I will agree with you after the transfer window closes and Diane is consider a major signing. 

I don't think anyone will be happy come September if the best the club can come up with is Diane, however most are looking at him as a decent signing who won't set the World alight but adds more depth to our attack where Oba Martins is the only one with pace.

We all know that we need better in certain positions, some are confident we'll get it and some are not but we won't be able to judge until the transfer window closes.

Guest Heneage

Wenger is a one off.

Like I said, manu and chelsea don't do it, you show me Wenger, and I will show you Ferguson and Mourhinho and tell you they buy the best players. Before them, Liverpool bought the best players. Clough broke transfer records. Revie broke transfer records. Keegan the first time bought the best players.

Its a signing that is hoped to be a "bargain" buy. Like it or not, this is the truth. Coming on the back of losing top targets to the likes of Spurs, if you think this sort of standard is good enough for NUFC, its your problem.

They won't succeed if they throw all their eggs into this ridiculous "bargain" idea. And they won't succeed if they operate tight financial restraints when trying to sign the best players. Money talks in any walk of life. I understand why people are rejecting this, but at the end of the day, they are paranoid, clueless and should apply common sense and look at these other clubs and accordingly observe how they get success.

Why don't you think we can't buy World Cup winners ? We have signed a few of those over the last 16 years or so, so why not now ?

Wengers a one off, explain Ajax, Psv, now Juventus, Milan, all teams that at one stage often their most productive used home grown lads. Wenger is not a one off, he's just smart, and adopting his techniques is very good. Look at Charlie 120k now worth £10m. The fact your willing to dismiss a team thats won more leagues and cups than us makes me question why were bothering this discussion. For as good as "Buying the best players" is we are not at their level yet, and constant spending is not a maintainable structure.  Stop thinking because Ashley is a billionaire he will throw money at the club.

I'm not saying throw it all in the bargain basket ,but don't be so naive as to dismiss the concept of buying young and cheap like Krul, Soderberg and Zamblera. The reason we can't attract WCW is because we haven't finished in the top half for 3seasons and aren't in Europe either.

Guest optimistic nit

Wenger is a one off.

Keegan and fergie also made their fair share of bargin buys to be fair, christiano ronaldo being a prime example. Blackburn have also showed what you can bring in for 4-5 million or less. if you want to challenge for europe though, you need to spend big as well, and going for players like modric suggests we are trying too. not every signing we make can be over 10million.

that said i'm really not impressed by Dianne. he seems to be an average player for a poor club in an average league who hasn't proved himself to be a regular scorer. quite frankly i don't want him anyway near this club. if we sign him and are tempted not to sign another striker, then it's going to be another shit season next year, even at squad level, i'd rather we signed either young players with lots of potential or older players who have proved that they can perform at this level. we're signing a player in his prime, for 2.75million playing for a club at the bottom of the french league, and for once spurs aren't interested. if we are signing squad players, i want to be confident that we're signing players capable of challenging for a first team place, and i wont be comfortable seeing him in the first XI next year.

also what is our fascination with the french league, i'd rather we paid more attention to seri a and la liga personally.

i just see another faye/ rozental here, maybe we'll sign him and he'll score 20 goals and prove me wrong, but i doubt it.

i've also got to say with our wages at what they are, i wouldn't be suprised if we had a couple of low spending seasons until that is sorted out. it may well be crippling the club.

Wenger is a one off.

Wengers a one off, explain Ajax, Psv, now Juventus, Milan, all teams that at one stage often their most productive used home grown lads. Wenger is not a one off, he's just smart, and adopting his techniques is very good. Look at Charlie 120k now worth £10m. The fact your willing to dismiss a team thats won more leagues and cups than us makes me question why were bothering this discussion. For as good as "Buying the best players" is we are not at their level yet, and constant spending is not a maintainable structure.  Stop thinking because Ashley is a billionaire he will throw money at the club.

I'm not saying throw it all in the bargain basket ,but don't be so naive as to dismiss the concept of buying young and cheap like Krul, Soderberg and Zamblera. The reason we can't attract WCW is because we haven't finished in the top half for 3seasons and aren't in Europe either.

I'm not thinking because Ashley is a billionaire he will throw money at the club. I'm pointing at how Liverpool, Chelsea and Manu have operated over many years, decades in the case of 2 of them.

I'm also pointing out how successful clubs in England have always operated.

Nobody is dismissing finding the odd top player on their way up in the game, I'm pointing out the simple FACT that the big boys buy the best players, not the pompeys etc.

Ignore this if you like. But you won't have consistent success in the game through over emphasis on "bargains". For further proof, we operated like this ourselves all the way through the 1970's and 80's - if you don't have first hand experience of this, or are too naive to even try to understand, you'll have to take my word for it.

Quite amazing that you pick out one or two clubs temporarily above their place to emphasise a point, and ignoring the rest.

For the young, and "bargain", players like the ones you mention, why not mention Chopra, Bramble, Jenas, Ambrose, Viana, Dyer, Griffin, Gavilan, Ameobi, Bernard, Hughes.........and going back further, Bogie, Dyson, Brayson, Wharton, Lormor, Conrwell, Stephenson, Tinnon.........there are plenty more.

So don't make out the club has never been down these particular roads either, because they have, and here are some of the names to show it.

Oh, and one more thing, pompey are 20m quid in the red. What shit directors eh  :kasper: and that is before they start building a new stadium. Still, I'm sure you and others will call that "positive thinking".

What a joke.