Amara Diane off to Qatar

Willow

Guest Stephen927

Harsh comment to mark regarding Diane. Solano cost roughly the same in 1998, just 10 years ago. Was quite cheap but was a quality player.

EDIT: For the record, never seen Diane play.

Bargain buys? Hardly, this isn't 500k for an Irish centre back. It's a decent signing that will provide other options. As for potential, if you don't think buying for the future is a good idea then I don't want to be a fan of your football club, look at Arsenal how many players do they take and develop at their academies, it's the future simple as, we can't go and buy World Cupwinners and what have you.

I'm wary of signing so many Africans for the sole reason we saw what happene to Pomepy this January.

I don't care about Arsenal.

Wenger is a one off.

Like I said, manu and chelsea don't do it, you show me Wenger, and I will show you Ferguson and Mourhinho and tell you they buy the best players. Before them, Liverpool bought the best players. Clough broke transfer records. Revie broke transfer records. Keegan the first time bought the best players.

Its a signing that is hoped to be a "bargain" buy. Like it or not, this is the truth. Coming on the back of losing top targets to the likes of Spurs, if you think this sort of standard is good enough for NUFC, its your problem.

They won't succeed if they throw all their eggs into this ridiculous "bargain" idea. And they won't succeed if they operate tight financial restraints when trying to sign the best players. Money talks in any walk of life. I understand why people are rejecting this, but at the end of the day, they are paranoid, clueless and should apply common sense and look at these other clubs and accordingly observe how they get success.

Why don't you think we can't buy World Cup winners ? We have signed a few of those over the last 16 years or so, so why not now ?

Cos like John Carver pointed out, our global standing has since plummented. Top and recognised/famous players will not join us. Diane could jolly turn out to be as successful as Wenger's African contingent

That`s what I was thinking until I saw Andrea Barzagli (Italian international who won the 2006 World Cup) signing for a  below average German side (Wolfsburg) a few days ago.....I wish we had signed the lad.........but I know what you mean

Fair enough I would consider this a missed opportunity. Not sure what the fee was?

Harsh comment to mark regarding Diane. Solano cost roughly the same in 1998, just 10 years ago. Was quite cheap but was a quality player.

For every Solano there are 10 Bassedas'.

Faye > Bramble

Cacapa > Moore

Rozenhal > Onyewu

Enrique > Babayaro

Beye > Solano @ RB

Barton > Parker

Smith > (injury prone) Dyer

Geremi > Pattison

Viduka > Sibierski

Allardyce > Roeder

Improvements throughout, Europe here we come. What could possibly go wrong?

For every Solano there are 10 Bassedas'.

Faye > Bramble

Cacapa > Moore

Rozenhal > Onyewu

Enrique > Babayaro

Beye > Solano @ RB

Barton > Parker

Smith > (injury prone) Dyer

Geremi > Pattison

Viduka > Sibierski

Allardyce > Roeder

Improvements throughout, Europe here we come. What could possibly go wrong?

mackems.gif

He's s***, I've never seen him play but he must be s*** if he's going for £2.75 million.

Like most of the s*** signıngs Arsenal make of players most have never heard of . ;D

Don't think Barton is better than Parker tbh, or Smith better than Dyer.

Without the benefit of hindsight, I think most on here would have said Barton would be a bit better than Parker.

I knew people would pick up on the Smith - Dyer comparison, but the vast majority were happy to see Dyer leave, and thought Smith would be a bit more effective. (Do you think we'd have done better last season hanging on to him?)

He's s***, I've never seen him play but he must be s*** if he's going for £2.75 million.

Like most of the s*** signıngs Arsenal make of players most have never heard of . ;D

How many 25 year olds have Arsenal signed for <£3m like?

Without the benefit of hindsight, I think most on here would have said Barton would be a bit better than Parker.

I knew people would pick up on the Smith - Dyer comparison, but the vast majority were happy to see Dyer leave, and thought Smith would be a bit more effective. (Do you think we'd have done better last season hanging on to him?)

The vast majority? I think that's stretching it.

I think we'd have been better off if Dyer had stayed, plenty of times this season we've seen a team that's been crying out for more pace which he would have offered us, he also had a decent understanding with Martins when they played up top together, people didn't like him though because he didn't work hard which is kind of funny really since he was replaced by a bloke who offers nothing apart from charging around and working hard to close people down.

Fair enough Dyer wanted to leave but not replacing him with a player of similar pace and the ability to stretch games was the first nail in Allardyce's coffin for me.

Many people were glad to see Dyer go as he was a injury prone wanker who was supposedly making an absolute fortune in wages and had been for a long time.

I think anyone with a brain will admit he was a pretty good footballer.

Oh so now it's only 25 year olds is it, when the entire point everyone was making was about the relative unknowns and had nothing to do with age?  And now it's capped out at 3m when no one set a cap? 

For what it's worth here are the notable Arsenal transfers under 3m from the last 10 years, age ignored.  Not that I expect it will change your mind about anything seeing as how you missed the entire point in the first place.

2006/2007

Alexandre Song 1m

Diaby  2m

Eboue 1m

2003/2004

Robin Van Persie 2.75m

Phillipe Senderos 2.5m

Gael Clichy 500k

2002/2003

Pascal Cygan 2.1m

2001/2002

Kolo Toure 150k

1998/1999

Freddie Ljunberg 3m

Jermaine Pennant 2m

I think we'd have been better off if Dyer had stayed, plenty of times this season we've seen a team that's been crying out for more pace which he would have offered us, he also had a decent understanding with Martins when they played up top together, people didn't like him though because he didn't work hard which is kind of funny really since he was replaced by a bloke who offers nothing apart from charging around and working hard to close people down.

Fair enough Dyer wanted to leave but not replacing him with a player of similar pace and the ability to stretch games was the first nail in Allardyce's coffin for me.

I put "(injury prone) Dyer" for a reason. Now admittedly no-one could have predicted a broken leg, but even if he'd not been out the whole of last season with that, there's every chance he would have broken down in some other way. That was a large part of why most were not sorry to see him go.

Regardless, ignore Smith & Dyer, I just put them in for completeness anyway. Unless you want to put the performance of the team last season down to 1 player, the basic point of my post was - you don't improve a team by replacing your average players with slightly better average players. You need to replace your average players with quality players, and that is why I find this proposed signing completely underwhelming.

Oh so now it's only 25 year olds is it, when the entire point everyone was making was about the relative unknowns and had nothing to do with age?  And now it's capped out at 3m when no one set a cap? 

Well it wasn't the point I was making, his age was integral to my point - ie that he's unlikely to develop any further as a player. What you see now is what you'll get. If he we're 19 or 20 it's a completely different proposition, and I'd be happy that the club was willing to pay that much for someone they thought had potential.

I put "(injury prone) Dyer" for a reason. Now admittedly no-one could have predicted a broken leg, but even if he'd not been out the whole of last season with that, there's every chance he would have broken down in some other way. That was a large part of why most were not sorry to see him go.

Regardless, ignore Smith & Dyer, I just put them in for completeness anyway. Unless you want to put the performance of the team last season down to 1 player, the basic point of my post was - you don't improve a team by replacing your average players with slightly better average players. You need to replace your average players with quality players, and that is why I find this proposed signing completely underwhelming.

I didn't say I was putting last seasons poor performance down to one player although I think we would have been better off if he had stayed, similar to how you thought we would have been better under Roeder the season before last if Owen wasn't out all season.

Unfortunantly the club isn't in a position to go out and buy 8 players for £10 million each, so it will have to look at bringing in cheaper players that the club think are good enough to help boost the squad, that's not to say we won't go out and buy some quality first teamers as I think we will but that doesn't mean we shouldn't add depth to the squad, it's staggering that you're writing a player off because he doesn't cost much even though you've never seen him play.

I do find it funny that you've always gone on about how Shepherd backed the mangager etc yet admit in this thread that the majority of the squad he left was average, surely all of his signings were big money buys?

Well it wasn't the point I was making, his age was integral to my point - ie that he's unlikely to develop any further as a player. What you see now is what you'll get. If he we're 19 or 20 it's a completely different proposition, and I'd be happy that the club was willing to pay that much for someone they thought had potential.

That's the thing, you've never seen him play so you don't know what we're going to get.

Btw any idea how much Blackburn paid for Benni McCarthy and Roque Santa Cruz?

For what it's worth here are the notable Arsenal transfers under 3m from the last 10 years, age ignored.  Not that I expect it will change your mind about anything seeing as how you missed the entire point in the first place.

2006/2007

Alexandre Song 1m

Diaby  2m

Eboue 1m

2003/2004

Robin Van Persie 2.75m

Phillipe Senderos 2.5m

Gael Clichy 500k

2002/2003

Pascal Cygan 2.1m

2001/2002

Kolo Toure 150k

1998/1999

Freddie Ljunberg 3m

Jermaine Pennant 2m

Wasn't Van Persie about 9m?

He sounds like squad filler like Rozenhal last season.

id take him if hes a squad filler- we need squad fillers our squad is small. just because we havent signed any big names yet doesnt mean this guy will be the pinnacle of our signings this summer.

Bargain buys? Hardly, this isn't 500k for an Irish centre back. It's a decent signing that will provide other options. As for potential, if you don't think buying for the future is a good idea then I don't want to be a fan of your football club, look at Arsenal how many players do they take and develop at their academies, it's the future simple as, we can't go and buy World Cupwinners and what have you.

I'm wary of signing so many Africans for the sole reason we saw what happene to Pomepy this January.

I don't care about Arsenal.

Wenger is a one off.

Like I said, manu and chelsea don't do it, you show me Wenger, and I will show you Ferguson and Mourhinho and tell you they buy the best players. Before them, Liverpool bought the best players. Clough broke transfer records. Revie broke transfer records. Keegan the first time bought the best players.

Its a signing that is hoped to be a "bargain" buy. Like it or not, this is the truth. Coming on the back of losing top targets to the likes of Spurs, if you think this sort of standard is good enough for NUFC, its your problem.

They won't succeed if they throw all their eggs into this ridiculous "bargain" idea. And they won't succeed if they operate tight financial restraints when trying to sign the best players. Money talks in any walk of life. I understand why people are rejecting this, but at the end of the day, they are paranoid, clueless and should apply common sense and look at these other clubs and accordingly observe how they get success.

Why don't you think we can't buy World Cup winners ? We have signed a few of those over the last 16 years or so, so why not now ?

Wengers a one off, explain Ajax, Psv, now Juventus, Milan, all teams that at one stage often their most productive used home grown lads. Wenger is not a one off, he's just smart, and adopting his techniques is very good. Look at Charlie 120k now worth £10m. The fact your willing to dismiss a team thats won more leagues and cups than us makes me question why were bothering this discussion. For as good as "Buying the best players" is we are not at their level yet, and constant spending is not a maintainable structure.  Stop thinking because Ashley is a billionaire he will throw money at the club.

I'm not saying throw it all in the bargain basket ,but don't be so naive as to dismiss the concept of buying young and cheap like Krul, Soderberg and Zamblera. The reason we can't attract WCW is because we haven't finished in the top half for 3seasons and aren't in Europe either.

I'm not thinking because Ashley is a billionaire he will throw money at the club. I'm pointing at how Liverpool, Chelsea and Manu have operated over many years, decades in the case of 2 of them.

I'm also pointing out how successful clubs in England have always operated.

Nobody is dismissing finding the odd top player on their way up in the game, I'm pointing out the simple FACT that the big boys buy the best players, not the pompeys etc.

Ignore this if you like. But you won't have consistent success in the game through over emphasis on "bargains". For further proof, we operated like this ourselves all the way through the 1970's and 80's - if you don't have first hand experience of this, or are too naive to even try to understand, you'll have to take my word for it.

Quite amazing that you pick out one or two clubs temporarily above their place to emphasise a point, and ignoring the rest.

For the young, and "bargain", players like the ones you mention, why not mention Chopra, Bramble, Jenas, Ambrose, Viana, Dyer, Griffin, Gavilan, Ameobi, Bernard, Hughes.........and going back further, Bogie, Dyson, Brayson, Wharton, Lormor, Conrwell, Stephenson, Tinnon.........there are plenty more.

So don't make out the club has never been down these particular roads either, because they have, and here are some of the names to show it.

Oh, and one more thing, pompey are 20m quid in the red. What shit directors eh  :kasper: and that is before they start building a new stadium. Still, I'm sure you and others will call that "positive thinking".

What a joke.

You mean the Dyer, Bernard and Jenas who were instrumental in achieving Champions League football? (Along with notable contributions from Griffin, Hughes, Ameobi)

Champions League football ?

You don't say.

Here's me hearing everybody saying what a shit recent history we've had.

Thanks for pointing out that it hasn't been so bad after all, and indeed confirming that what the current lot are doing isn't so new either.

So NE5 are we not allowed to sign anyone under £x m?

Simple yes or no will do.

I wont hold my breath though.  ;)

If they're not £20m each he doesn't want to know.

fredbob gets sillier all the time Dave, fancy you agreeing with him  bluelaugh.gif