Amara Diane off to Qatar

Willow

Just found this quote from Andrew Flintoff on here at the start of January.

Not quite on-topic, but Amara Diané knocked a couple more in today for PSG. He's quality, in a team of utter s****. We should get him in here to do the exact same thing.

Maybe he's our chief scout. :lol:

We have made a bid apparently.

MERCATO : Newcastle offre 3,5 millions pour Diané29 mai 2008 Par JeBaY (Source : INFOPSG)

Selon nos informations, Amara Diané, l’attaquant ivoirien du Paris Saint-Germain discutera prochainement avec son agent d’une proposition faite par le club anglais de Newcastle.

Un fax est en effet arrivé ce matin au Parc des Princes faisant foi d’une offre de transfert de 3,5 millions d’euros pour l’attaquant parisien.

A l’heure de la reconstruction, Paul Le Guen ne souhaiterait plus bénéficier des services du joueur africain. Acheté 3,5 millions d’euros à Strasbourg, Diané fait donc l’objet d’une offre semblable aujourd’hui même.

Reste à savoir si le joueur acceptera le contrat proposé, mais surtout si le PSG jugera l'offre valable.

At least we now seem to be moving in the market

This is a classic, people are knocking a player they know nothing about, who hasn't even signed based solely on the price.

Not knocking the player, questioning the ambition of the club. Do you honestly think this is a player who will be challenging Owen or Martin's place in the 1st team?

You're pre-empting the whole summer transfer merry go round. We really need to see where we are at the end of July/early August.

I didn't think I was pre-empting anything. I thought I was commenting on this potential transfer, and noting that this transfer would be the type of transfer an unambitious club would make.

I'll make a note to try and not have any opinions on anything until the transfer window is closed.

Edit: Actually, that's not fair really, I shouldn't comment until after the end of next season to see how the new transfers work out.

Edit 2: Actually, that's not fair either I shouldn't comment until after the new chairman has had a few years in charge to make his mark.

Edit 3: Actually, even that's not fair, he didn't appoint Keegan did he. I'll wait until the next manager has had a few years.

This is a classic, people are knocking a player they know nothing about, who hasn't even signed based solely on the price.

Not knocking the player, questioning the ambition of the club. Do you honestly think this is a player who will be challenging Owen or Martin's place in the 1st team?

You're pre-empting the whole summer transfer merry go round. We really need to see where we are at the end of July/early August.

I didn't think I was pre-empting anything. I thought I was commenting on this potential transfer, and noting that this transfer would be the type of transfer an unambitious club would make.

I'll make a note to try and not have any opinions on anything until the transfer window is closed.

Edit: Actually, that's not fair really, I shouldn't comment until after the end of next season to see how the new transfers work out.

Edit 2: Actually, that's not fair either I shouldn't comment until after the new chairman has had a few years in charge to make his mark.

Edit 3: Actually, even that's not fair, he didn't appoint Keegan did he. I'll wait until the next manager has had a few years.

Suddenly I'm feeling really sleepy.

Guest MaetihS

I am familiar with French football. Me wife is a PSG fan and i watch french football as much as English football. Like i said earlier, an average player or maybe slightly above one at stetch. Admittedly, a not bad impact player when subbed on. But we can always hope he blossom with regular starting football. Can finish brilliantly but also miss the simplest of chances. Technique wise i would say 14/20. At times, he can control the ball or hit the ball ala Zizou, other times cannot even control the ball properly. Considering the current circumstances, not too disappointed with this potential signing even though more leaning towards hopeful. like i say at least he looks good at times so a sign he can perform if only he is more consistent.

Guest MaetihS

Bargain buys? Hardly, this isn't 500k for an Irish centre back. It's a decent signing that will provide other options. As for potential, if you don't think buying for the future is a good idea then I don't want to be a fan of your football club, look at Arsenal how many players do they take and develop at their academies, it's the future simple as, we can't go and buy World Cupwinners and what have you.

I'm wary of signing so many Africans for the sole reason we saw what happene to Pomepy this January.

I don't care about Arsenal.

Wenger is a one off.

Like I said, manu and chelsea don't do it, you show me Wenger, and I will show you Ferguson and Mourhinho and tell you they buy the best players. Before them, Liverpool bought the best players. Clough broke transfer records. Revie broke transfer records. Keegan the first time bought the best players.

Its a signing that is hoped to be a "bargain" buy. Like it or not, this is the truth. Coming on the back of losing top targets to the likes of Spurs, if you think this sort of standard is good enough for NUFC, its your problem.

They won't succeed if they throw all their eggs into this ridiculous "bargain" idea. And they won't succeed if they operate tight financial restraints when trying to sign the best players. Money talks in any walk of life. I understand why people are rejecting this, but at the end of the day, they are paranoid, clueless and should apply common sense and look at these other clubs and accordingly observe how they get success.

Why don't you think we can't buy World Cup winners ? We have signed a few of those over the last 16 years or so, so why not now ?

Cos like John Carver pointed out, our global standing has since plummented. Top and recognised/famous players will not join us. Diane could jolly turn out to be as successful as Wenger's African contingent

Guest MaetihS

Bargain buys? Hardly, this isn't 500k for an Irish centre back. It's a decent signing that will provide other options. As for potential, if you don't think buying for the future is a good idea then I don't want to be a fan of your football club, look at Arsenal how many players do they take and develop at their academies, it's the future simple as, we can't go and buy World Cupwinners and what have you.

I'm wary of signing so many Africans for the sole reason we saw what happene to Pomepy this January.

Wenger is a one off.

Like I said, manu and chelsea don't do it, you show me Wenger, and I will show you Ferguson and Mourhinho and tell you they buy the best players. Before them, Liverpool bought the best players. Clough broke transfer records. Revie broke transfer records. Keegan the first time bought the best players.

Its a signing that is hoped to be a "bargain" buy. Like it or not, this is the truth. Coming on the back of losing top targets to the likes of Spurs, if you think this sort of standard is good enough for NUFC, its your problem.

They won't succeed if they throw all their eggs into this ridiculous "bargain" idea. And they won't succeed if they operate tight financial restraints when trying to sign the best players. Money talks in any walk of life. I understand why people are rejecting this, but at the end of the day, they are paranoid, clueless and should apply common sense and look at these other clubs and accordingly observe how they get success.

Why don't you think we can't buy World Cup winners ? We have signed a few of those over the last 16 years or so, so why not now ?

Wengers a one off, explain Ajax, Psv, now Juventus, Milan, all teams that at one stage often their most productive used home grown lads. Wenger is not a one off, he's just smart, and adopting his techniques is very good. Look at Charlie 120k now worth £10m. The fact your willing to dismiss a team thats won more leagues and cups than us makes me question why were bothering this discussion. For as good as "Buying the best players" is we are not at their level yet, and constant spending is not a maintainable structure.  Stop thinking because Ashley is a billionaire he will throw money at the club.

I'm not saying throw it all in the bargain basket ,but don't be so naive as to dismiss the concept of buying young and cheap like Krul, Soderberg and Zamblera. The reason we can't attract WCW is because we haven't finished in the top half for 3seasons and aren't in Europe either.

Spot on

I love how it's now become accepted fact that shepherd never signed any player for less than megabucks.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good argument.

It wasnt that long ago that Bobby was trumpeting his own idea of buying young players - Viana, Bellamy, Jenas, Ambrose etc

He was fortunate to have Speed, Shearer, Solano, etc already there. We simply don't have that quality in the current side. The younger lads were helped along by the older, established pros back then.

We need some pace, strength, guile and some youth to be honest but I think the policy has its strengths and weaknesses. Its more a case of trying to get value for money AND buying for the positions required.

What we dont need is chaff like Bassedas, Cordone or indeed average players like Acuna (and he was never better than steady despite one or two claims to the contrary). Nor do we need young players like Gavilan. The standard of the league has risen of late, we have to as well.

Pointless anyway. At the minute its speculative nonsense and we wont be any wiser until the players walk through the door and perform on the pitch. Then we'll all say 'told you so'.

Guest Spark

There's been some shite posted in this thread like. How does the signing of one player dictate our whole summer transfer policy? We have a small squad. We need some squad players. Like others have said, if this Diane is our biggest signing at the end of the window then we can start worrying, but we were close to signing Modric, after all. Hardly a "bargain" player. And isn't this whole thing just a rumour?

based on youtube alone, he looks like a player who can take the ball round people very well, with a bit of pace and power as well. looks good for £3 million, looks good in the video but partly because of the dross around him. looks like he sets up a few goals as well, which idiots have just blasted over after his good work. ill be very happy if keegan signs him for £2.75m

There's been some s**** posted in this thread like. How does the signing of one player dictate our whole summer transfer policy? We have a small squad. We need some squad players. Like others have said, if this Diane is our biggest signing at the end of the window then we can start worrying, but we were close to signing Modric, after all. Hardly a "bargain" player. And isn't this whole thing just a rumour?

is it that unreasonable to think a club in our position would move for their primary targets first rather than aiming to get squad players in?  squad players are not exactly our priority are they?  we've got plenty of average, we need some above average-very good players

can see how some would assume that a move for this guy might be setting a "spending tone" so to speak

not saying i do

Brummie made a very good point in the thread about Sebastian Larsson, regarding whether a player is going to take the club to the "next level".

I can see how this would apply here, if he's better than what we've got (Shola), then he makes us into a better side, and he would worth spending some money on.

Don't know why everyone is panicking, we put a very hefty bid in for Modric, so we know there's money available, but we will need these kinds of signings too to improve our overall squad.

There's been some s**** posted in this thread like. How does the signing of one player dictate our whole summer transfer policy? We have a small squad. We need some squad players. Like others have said, if this Diane is our biggest signing at the end of the window then we can start worrying, but we were close to signing Modric, after all. Hardly a "bargain" player. And isn't this whole thing just a rumour?

is it that unreasonable to think a club in our position would move for their primary targets first rather than aiming to get squad players in?  squad players are not exactly our priority are they?  we've got plenty of average, we need some above average-very good players

is it unreasonable to think that we can do both at the same time, or is it accepted transfer etiquette to make all your big signings first and only at the end bring in squad players? 

can see how some would assume that a move for this guy might be setting a "spending tone" so to speak

not saying i do

I see your point, but I thought we went for Modric first.

Wenger is a one off.

Cos like John Carver pointed out, our global standing has since plummented. Top and recognised/famous players will not join us. Diane could jolly turn out to be as successful as Wenger's African contingent

That`s what I was thinking until I saw Andrea Barzagli (Italian international who won the 2006 World Cup) signing for a  below average German side (Wolfsburg) a few days ago.....I wish we had signed the lad.........but I know what you mean

Guest MaetihS

Wenger is a one off.

That`s what I was thinking until I saw Andrea Barzagli (Italian international who won the 2006 World Cup) signing for a  below average German side (Wolfsburg) a few days ago.....I wish we had signed the lad.........but I know what you mean

If this is true, we must really question our transfer system and policy!!!!

Guest Heneage

worth a pop for £2.75m. he's got 11 goals in 25 starts (13 sub) last season, which isn't really that far behind oba.

i know it's a different league but he could prove to be a good signing at that price.

Torres rarely didn't hit more than 15 in LA Liga.

Guest MaetihS

He's s***, I've never seen him play but he must be s*** if he's going for £2.75 million.

He is not shit just really inconsistent and in and out of the team. Reasonable price for a player that cannot command a certain and cement place in the first 11 but occasionally show brilliance and goals. a bit like Lua Lua for us.