Three Quarters of you wanted Roeder....

Guest Phil K

I love being patronised by fans from 12,000 miles away like. Have a word with yourself. You're defending the indefensible tbh. Most right-minded Toon fans are praying the takeover goes through being so sick of the bloke in charge that they are willing to risk the unknown.

Most right minded toon fans would like to have a better board without a doubt, but deluded ones say what you say above, despite being told the huge risks involved, based on looking at our own past, and many current clubs at the moment if you look around, that will be watching us with envy when we play in europe - again - next week. 

Any thoughts on the excerpt from SBR's biography in the other thread?

A biography is by definition a one-sided thing, is it not, sponger?

If you were going to matches :) (if you can do it, so can I) during the seasons when we finished 4th, 3rd and 5th you should have noticed that from the latter stages of the season we finished 3rd the performances were dropping.  During the season we finished 5th there were posts week after week from people moaning about the player underperforming, you've probably forgotten of course. Anyway, the performances were on the slide for about 18 months before Robson finally went. He should have gone earlier but Fred made a mistake there. Moving him on turned sour because the replacement was the wrong man, but moving him on per se needed to be done. There were problems off the field and most of us should at least agree with that, Robson had lost the players, or it looked like it on the pitch. Don't forget that Liverpool got rid of Hoolia from a strong position of winning 5 trophies because they wanted to do more in the league. I think that's what Fred wanted, the intent was correct, but the appointment of Souness was terrible and we're paying for it still.

Don't expect you to agree, sponger.

I'd agree with most of that but I tend to believe what Robson said too (haven't heard Shepherd refute those claims either). Neither what you say or what Robson says show Shepherd and the way he runs the club in a particularly good light though. To put it mildly.

Never said he does, as I have no idea because I'm not a club insider like you seem to be and most others on this forum must be too. ;)

What I've said is Fred backs managers with cash to build their team which is what he should do. Then the manager is judged by the performance of the players in relation to amount he's spend. The fact is, Robson did spend millions even taking into account what came back from sales. If the manager fails to deliver the goods then it's the duty of the Board to get a new one in. Obviously, 4th, 3rd and 5th wasn't good enough for the new found ambition of the club that started in 1992, which I'm glad to see.

How a manager is actually removed from a job is often moaned about by departing managers. It's not difficult to work out why.

.......... and if a board can back their manager to the tune of him putting together a side that finishes in the top 5 for 3 consecutive seasons and has a good run in the Champions League, then it is obviously good enough to win the FA Cup or the League Cup within that period and they have done their part. So from that point on, the blame is with the managers and the players. Can anyone explain why Bobby Robson chose to play reserves in the early rounds of the League Cup or the team played shit in FA Cup ties ? Or are they going to blame the board .....

There is a reasonable chance that a takeover would result in a decent Manager being appointed, its always a risk we know that but we are going, and will continue to go, no where fast with the current set up.

Of course there are some on here who will defend Shepherd to the ends, these are the ones who disappear when there is another defeat. He has made money available admittedly, more often than not it has not been used wisely by his appointed men. 

The most damaging fact is Shepherd has appointed 4 unsuccessful Managers out of 5. You cant get away from that, the last two in particular being laughable. No amount of sarcasm or talking down to people can change that. :winking: :winking: :winking: :winking:

I haven't disappeared from supporting this club for 42 years John, no matter where I've lived, which has been all over the UK, I've travelled and I've been there.

Even when we were shit.

Did you forecast that a manager with 4 league titles, 2 FA Cups and 3 manager of the year awards would "fail", and his successor who won the FA Cup and left his club in the top 3 in the league would also "fail" ? What standards do you set if you consider these to be bad appointments ?

During my time supporting the club, I also waited 22 years to reach a Cup Final. We got there twice in succession with the 2 men you say "failed". Just thought I'd point it out like.

I have already answered this a while back. The cup runs involved a lot of luck in the draw, in fact in one of them we did not meet  a quality side until the semis.

In case you forgot in both cases we then proceeded to give an embarrassing cup final performance. just did not turn up on the day.

The overall assessment of success for a supposed big club is the League title. The last time we achieved this was in the 1920's.

Its not a case of forecasting who would fail. The fact is 4 out of the last 5 Managers have failed and two have been sacked and one walked out.

The current appointment is a joke IMO, as was the previous one.

I also answered you. I gave you a list of a whole load of easy sides who beat us in those 22 years, if they were so easy, please explain how it took us 22 years to beat them and get to a Final again.

I am unlike to forget the performances, as I was there, on every occasion.

Lastly, I am asking you your criteria for selecting managers, as you appear to be saying that you knew Dalglish and Gullit weren't good enough and would have chosen other people. Serious and reasonable question.

As for Bobby Robson, one minute he is successful and one he isn't with you. Which is it ?

bump

Management has of course changed enourmously fro the day of Joe Harvey threatening physical violence to his own players. These days the managers are overqualified and the players overpaid and underworked.

Thik of the board as your prospective employer. You are well qualified, have good references, get the job with decent terms. Three months later you are sacked. Is it your fault or did you fail to organize, motivate, achieve with your team. In other words did they want to work for you? We have had a few managers in recent years who the players did not want to work for. Who'se fault? Answers on a post card to FS.

You are using that as a basis for backing Shepherd for appointing Roeder??

overqualified? - hasnt even got his badges.

good references? relegated two teams.

Aye I see your point now like, well done Fred!

A biography is by definition a one-sided thing, is it not, sponger?

If you were going to matches :) (if you can do it, so can I) during the seasons when we finished 4th, 3rd and 5th you should have noticed that from the latter stages of the season we finished 3rd the performances were dropping.  During the season we finished 5th there were posts week after week from people moaning about the player underperforming, you've probably forgotten of course. Anyway, the performances were on the slide for about 18 months before Robson finally went. He should have gone earlier but Fred made a mistake there. Moving him on turned sour because the replacement was the wrong man, but moving him on per se needed to be done. There were problems off the field and most of us should at least agree with that, Robson had lost the players, or it looked like it on the pitch. Don't forget that Liverpool got rid of Hoolia from a strong position of winning 5 trophies because they wanted to do more in the league. I think that's what Fred wanted, the intent was correct, but the appointment of Souness was terrible and we're paying for it still.

Don't expect you to agree, sponger.

That "one sided thing" contained plenty of quotes that were put down as coming from people who have not denied them, I wonder why the quotes weren't denied?

Alex

You state you are prepared to accept the unknown. At least you have a position. Most of the other negative comments are just that.

Another comment on this subject concerns the likely restructuring if Belgravia took over. Positive.

In fact there are a number of positive attitudes shown in these threads but, by the same token a lot of jerking knees.

Patronising. Hardly. If I'd agreed with your comments that would have been patronising. I might be 12000 miles away but my relatives are all season ticket holders, my family has supported the club since its inception and I've supported this lot since 1950. As far as I'm concerned I have the same right of comment as you. No more no less. Distance is irrelevant.

Guest The Fox

More nonsense from HTL, normally quick to come on here after a win but disappears back into the woodwork when his hero Shepherd gets flak.

I'm as much asupporter as you are HTL, its just you are stuck in memory lane. You do not have to attend matches, in fact many due to location and not being season ticket holders cant, to support the club.

Its also anybodys option to criticise what they dont like about the set up, if they were not interested in the welfare of the club they would not bother. Better than having their head up their backside like you. And before you come out with your usual drivel, there are numerous occasions when I have praised performances and decisions when they merit it.

As for NE5, you obviously have trouble reading, Ii've answered your question numerous times.

A successful appointment is one that brings success. Dalglish did not.

Comprehend you toothless twosome :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Alex

You state you are prepared to accept the unknown. At least you have a position. Most of the other negative comments are just that.

Another comment on this subject concerns the likely restructuring if Belgravia took over. Positive.

In fact there are a number of positive attitudes shown in these threads but, by the same token a lot of jerking knees.

Patronising. Hardly. If I'd agreed with your comments that would have been patronising. I might be 12000 miles away but my relatives are all season ticket holders, my family has supported the club since its inception and I've supported this lot since 1950. As far as I'm concerned I have the same right of comment as you. No more no less. Distance is irrelevant.

Apologies for the 'patronising' comment. Probably more in annoyance with Shepherd than yourself. With reference to the knee-jerk comments, football fans by their very nature are fickle.  However, I think that the anti-Shepherd movement is (in general) as a result of people getting sick of him over a significant period of time. That's certainly the case as far as I'm concerned.

More nonsense from HTL, normally quick to come on here after a win but disappears back into the woodwork when his hero Shepherd gets flak.

I'm as much asupporter as you are HTL, its just you are stuck in memory lane. You do not have to attend matches, in fact many due to location and not being season ticket holders cant, to support the club.

There are people who over years have been going to every match both home and away, they are better supporters than I am. They are certainly better supporters than you are too. And so it goes on.....

Its also anybodys option to criticise what they dont like about the set up,

Aye, as I've already said to Alex about his response to Kiwi. ;) You do preach the obvious, don't you?

if they were not interested in the welfare of the club they would not bother. Better than having their head up their backside like you. And before you come out with your usual drivel, there are numerous occasions when I have praised performances and decisions when they merit it.

If I just posted links to your negative posts I'd be here all day and produce a post longer than the efforts of grassroots at his worst.

As for NE5, you obviously have trouble reading, Ii've answered your question numerous times.

Comprehend you toothless twosome :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

:roll:

You don't appear to have the wit to realise that an appointment can only be determined as successful in hindsight. There is no guarantee of success. Ever.

You said my comment was ironic rather than preaching the obvious (is that the same as stating the obvious by the way?). Make your mind up. If you respond in red to this, does that mean I've angered you?

Guest The Fox

There are people who over years have been going to every match both home and away, they are better supporters than I am. They are certainly better supporters than you are too. And so it goes on.....

Its also anybodys option to criticise what they dont like about the set up,[/quote]

Aye, as I've already said to Alex about his response to Kiwi. ;) You do preach the obvious, don't you?

if they were not interested in the welfare of the club they would not bother. Better than having their head up their backside like you. And before you come out with your usual drivel, there are numerous occasions when I have praised performances and decisions when they merit it.

If I just posted links to your negative posts I'd be here all day and produce a post longer than the efforts of grassroots at his worst.

:roll:

You don't appear to have the wit to realise that an appointment can only be determined as successful in hindsight. There is no guarantee of success. Ever.

Did not expect much else from you.

Firstly if people attend every match home and away it does not make them better supporters than you or I. In terms of location it may well be easier and more financially viable to do so, particularly if they have a season ticket. The other thing is you dont know peoples hours of work, this could infringe on the number of times they go.

Secondly what you call negative, I call being realistic and the history of the club in terms of achievement would mean that I have been more so than your good self. Plenty of positive posts as I said when it merits it, not just for the sake of it. Its all about opinion and your opinion is miles apart from mine and seems to be based onwhere we were pre 92, rather than how we have gone downhill since Keegan departed. The current side would have been murdered by Keegans lineup.

Thirdly its better than having no wit. Of course if listed your condescending, talking down to people posts I would need an army of volunteers.

You might like to list the merits of any success that Dalglish, Gullit, Souness and Roeder have brought to the club. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

If you cannot conduct an argument based on fact that dont bother posting. All this nonsense that you and NE5 come out with regarding posts that I have never made and claims you cant back up does not do any favours.

If you want a realistic debate outside of this forum email me, else keep your personal comments to yourself or I'll cry.

Its also anybodys option to criticise what they dont like about the set up, if they were not interested in the welfare of the club they would not bother. Better than having their head up their backside like you. And before you come out with your usual drivel, there are numerous occasions when I have praised performances and decisions when they merit it.

John I have rephrased the question in the other thread to make it easier for you.

I know a few lads who are long term supporters, one of which is a mate of one of them and writes for the club programme, called Fink.

Fink has not missed a game in about 30 years, home or away, so i am led to believe. I have absolutely no qualms whatsoever in saying he is a better supporter than me. How can't he be.

Even though I spent years living away from Tyneside and contributes to the fact he has seen more games than me, it changes nothing, it has absolutely nothing to do with it. When I was away I went to matches as often as possible, more than a lot of people living in Newcastle too, especially because the team was shit, and 30000 weren't interested. But Fink is the best supporter I know of, period.

Anyone who lays down their cash and time to follow the club, if they are in a position to do so, is a better supporter than one who chooses not to. Whats more, the club recognises it too. You see, the next time we play a big all ticket game, those fans will be at the front of the queue. And rightly so.

John I have rephrased the question in the other thread to make it easier for you.

I know a few lads who are long term supporters, one of which is a mate of one of them and writes for the club programme, called Fink.

Fink has not missed a game in about 30 years, home or away, so i am led to believe. I have absolutely no qualms whatsoever in saying he is a better supporter than me. How can't he be.

Even though I spent years living away from Tyneside and contributes to the fact he has seen more games than me, it changes nothing, it has absolutely nothing to do with it. When I was away I went to matches as often as possible, more than a lot of people living in Newcastle too, especially because the team was shit, and 30000 weren't interested. But Fink is the best supporter I know of, period.

Anyone who lays down their cash and time to follow the club, if they are in a position to do so, is a better supporter than one who chooses not to. Whats more, the club recognises it too. You see, the next time we play a big all ticket game, those fans will be at the front of the queue. And rightly so.

When did you live away from the North East?

When did you live away from the North East?

I've lived all over the UK. Before 1985, the London Branch of the Supporters Club, run by a lad called Harry Rodden, who is not with us anymore, used to do a carriage on the 9am train every saturday mornings from Kings X to every home game. Thatcher stopped it when she tried to ban football after the Heysel disaster. This train cost 9 quid a head, afterwards it went up to 20-something. All you did was ring Harry up to the tuesday before and he bought all the tickets and you met him at the station on the saturday morning. i did this for years, and after the price went up, until I moved to jockland.

Overall I lived away for years, and got to most home games and anything up to about 10 away games. The only time I didn't was when I spent a couple of years out of the country a lot.

I then went up to jockland when the scottish fuckpig was at Rangers and Alex Ferguson was at Aberdeen [he was just about to leave for manu during this time so only for a short while but they were beating Rangers and Celtic on merit], and saw how good Ferguson was and what an arse Souness was from close up, and bought my season ticket back in the late 1980's, which I first bought in 1973.

You said my comment was ironic rather than preaching the obvious (is that the same as stating the obvious by the way?). Make your mind up. If you respond in red to this, does that mean I've angered you?

Why would anything you say annoy me, Alex? I generally couldn't give a toss what you say, tbh.

Why would anything you say annoy me, Alex? I generally couldn't give a toss what you say, tbh.

HTL!  The "ill thought out" jibe cut me deep so I took time over this...

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php/topic,30872.msg592494.html#msg592494

No thoughts?

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php/topic,30872.msg592494.html#msg592494

No thoughts?

Yeah. It's a very good post.

No thoughts?

Yeah. It was a good post.

blueeek.gif

:(

No thoughts?

Yeah. It was a good post.

blueeek.gif

:(

Ok, I just did an edit.

Ok, I just did an edit.

I wasn't milking it, I wanted some abuse, I love it when you talk down to me.  :winking:

Not sure why you think I'd give you abuse over that post. Not sure why you think I'd post abuse anyway, I generally post contrary opinions to the juveniles, they just interpret any opposing opinion as abuse.

Ok, I just did an edit.

I wasn't milking it, I wanted some abuse, I love it when you talk down to me.  :winking:

Not sure why you think I'd give you abuse over that post. Not sure why you think I'd post abuse anyway, I generally post contrary opinions to the juveniles, they just interpret any opposing opinion as abuse.

You big bully.

Because apparently not much makes you laugh more than my ill thought out posts and I understand even less about football than I do ID cards.