The Andrei Arshavin thread

Guest NUFC4
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

news on him tomorrow according to the journo on the blackburn forum.

he's hit and miss with his info though, with more misses than hits.

i guess he's the craig bellamy of journo's.

interesting all the same though

Nicko just writes for a paper doesn't he? Doesn't that mean the only ITK knowledge he'd have would be what's in the papers tomorrow rather than anything that might happen?

I usually don't get over excited on players...but my word, he was class.

His first pass of the game was a diagonal hit driven ball that showed alot of confidence.

He was constantly talking to his players and pointing where to pass, and its funny that they listened too! And when they didn't, Arshavin let them know, and was great to see them look like they were apologizing...

He doesnt have to look to like hes running himself into the ground to look like hes not unlazy - to me, he looked a player totally aware of waht was going on the pitch and where the ball needed to go.

I'd be chuffed to bits and peices if we signed him - The hell with Modric, this guy may be 5 years his senior, but he looked class in my book. Russia were a different side with him in.

he was lacking work ethic for me and i cant see where he would fit in. doesnt run enough for a cm but cant really fit him in a front 3/2 either. good passing though but is 27 whereas arda has all that and is 21.

Taking the piss, surely?

The only time he was lacking worth ethic was extremely late in the game, and that might have something to do with the fact that he was knackered (you know, not having played in over a month and stuff).

He'd fit in behind the front 2, or on the wing. Quite simple.

Look, I'd be happy with either Arshavin or Turan (or both ;)), but if a choice had to be made I'd go with Arshavin every day of the week.

Uncomplimentary to us as usual but he gets a glowing report from the BBC:

Arshavin would grace Premier League

Andrei Arshavin made a delayed entry into Euro 2008 - but Russia's little master delivered a performance that was well worth the wait.

Guus Hiddink's young side needed inspiration to get the victory over Sweden that would give them a quarter-final against Holland on Saturday and the return of Arshavin after suspension was perfectly timed.

The man who master-minded Zenit St Petersburg's Uefa Cup triumph delivered the sort of display that underscored why he is coveted by clubs in the Premier League.

Arshavin first came to my attention seriously on a freezing night at Goodison Park in December when Everton beat Zenit in a Uefa Cup group game.

He may have been on the losing side, but there was no doubting his pedigree and it was no surprise he swiftly became a transfer target for David Moyes.

Arshavin was swift of thought and limb, and while his finishing was wayward he made light of his slight frame to illuminate the game.

Andrei Arshavin

Everton's interest, as so often, has been talked about without materialising into fact and after he destroyed Sweden I suspect he may have more illustrious clubs on his trail.

Sorry to sound cruel Everton fans, but I am afraid that falls into the harsh but fair category. I do not see why Arshavin would end up at Everton.

Newcastle United and Manchester City have also been linked, but gone are the days when the riches of the Premier League can prise away the pride of impoverished Russian clubs.

Zenit are cash rich and the word is that Arshavin is on £50,000-a-week - limiting the clubs who will move seriously for a player who has been catapulted to prominence in recent weeks.

Newcastle is hardly a mouth-watering prospect. Arshavin will not earn that much more money in the current round of belt-tightening at St James' Park and why should he entertain a club that cannot even offer him European football next season?

Nope. I would imagine he would be happy to give Everton and the Toon Army the swerve, even if they somehow conjured up enough cash to even be granted an audience with him.

Manchester City have shown an interest in Arshavin along with CSKA Moscow's Brazilian striker Jo, and he may be worth more of a gamble than splashing £200,000-a-week on the fading Ronaldinho, who I believe is past his best and will not be motivated to re-ignite his career in the unlikely surroundings of Eastlands.

He may carry the element of a gamble - I well recall how Sergei Rebrov was a sure thing when Spurs paid £11m to sign him from Dynamo Kiev. He was a player who looked to have all the elements of a world star, but was awful at White Hart Lane.

But Arshavin looks made of sterner stuff, and when a man of Hiddink's pedigree claims he is the cleverest player he has ever managed, that's good enough for me.

There is always a danger in buying a player after a big tournament, but Arshavin looks the real deal.

A classic number 10 playing just off the front man and setting traps for the opposition all over the pitch, I would love to see Arshavin in the Premier League - and a few of his team-mates for that matter.

What about Aleksandr Anyukov? He is another Zenit star and a raiding defender who has looked outstanding.

And Yuri Zhirkov - the "Russian Ronaldinho". I could go on and probably would given half a chance.

Russia have been transformed from a side that struggled against Spain to looking a very dangerous and confident team - and I fancy them to give the Netherlands a real run for their money in Basel.

Hiddink's tactics will be fascinating. We have seen how the Dutch love to kill on the counter-attack and Russia showed the instincts to go forward with pace and in numbers to outclass Sweden.

Will Hiddink alter Russia's game plan against his native country or will he let Arshavin pull the strings?

I can't wait to see how it unfolds - but Russia's Euro 2008 campaign looked to be gathering ominous momentum against Sweden and the Netherlands will need to be on their guard.

............... and a player who plies his trade in a harsher weather climate as well. Naturally suited to the North East winter months, where others - ie. from Italy & Spain for instance, basically the Sthern European leagues - would likely go missing in action.

Guest Coubury

Bollocks!

We could offer him 80k a week no problem if wise etc convince Ashley hes worth it which imo he is

yes we are tryingto cut the wage bill but thats to get rid of the cunts who are overpaid and not worth the money they are earning.

He impressed in patches, caused their back four problems at times but I dunno if he is what we need, I think there are better options out there, mind we have no hope anyway if Wenger wants him..

He impressed in patches, caused their back four problems at times but I dunno if he is what we need, I think there are better options out there, mind we have no hope anyway if Wenger wants him..

Better options which might want come to the Toon??? Tell me...

Better options which might want come to the Toon??? Tell me...

Fair point, but I doubt he would here anyway.

Guest teepee

i also doubt we'll be able to attract him right now - seems to be one of the hottest players around.

but we do need to give it a go anyway - put in a bid asap and see if it works out. if arse or another big club comes in there is nothing we can do anyway. my only fear is that one of the clubs we'll be competing with getting him, the likes of spurs, city, everton.

Maybe the best option would have been to have got him signed up the Euros started.  He had been linked with Newcastle for quite a time, the management must have realised there was likely to be more competition for his signature/his price would go up once he showed his ability in the tourno.

Maybe the best option would have been to have got him signed up the Euros started.  He had been linked with Newcastle for quite a time, the management must have realised there was likely to be more competition for his signature/his price would go up once he showed his ability in the tourno.

You are not allowed to say that here, remember, plenty of time, nobody else is signing players before the Euros, wait and see..blah, blah, blah

You are not allowed to say that here, remember, plenty of time, nobody else is signing players before the Euros, wait and see..blah, blah, blah

sad but true... :-(

Guest MaetihS

Lets move on. we had our chance when he is not so well known. Now we will never get him. Our obsession with the rising stars of tomorrow like Turan and Arshavin is just going to lead to unrest, disapointment and disillusion/bitter/gloom and this is not healthy as the start of the season draws nearer. Hope the board is not putting all their 100% efforts in these players and have back-up second tier players in mind or we will be fooked when both sets of players are not attained. Lets go get the Larrsons, Kapos, Barnes and Zarates....these players are more than realistic targets of quality albeit much lesser quality than the Turans and Arshavins. But who are we to demand and expect that quality by default? we shall earn it in season after season of consolidation in the top6-10.

Lets move on. we had our chance when he is not so well known. Now we will never get him. Our obsession with the rising stars of tomorrow like Turan and Arshavin is just going to lead to unrest, disapointment and disillusion/bitter/gloom and this is not healthy as the start of the season draws nearer. Hope the board is not putting all their 100% efforts in these players and have back-up second tier players in mind or we will be fooked when both sets of players are not attained. Lets go get the Larrsons, Kapos, Barnes and Zarates....these players are more than realistic targets of quality albeit much lesser quality than the Turans and Arshavins. But who are we to demand and expect that quality by default? we shall earn it in season after season of consolidation in the top6-10.

Agree with you ,but all is not lost maybe we can sabourtage Arsenals communications network with a gremlin ie Dennis Wise and get Arshavins before they repair it .seriously though we have to aim high and see what happens its been said time and time again we are not able to offer much to top players apart from selling them a vision ,so live in hope .

Its from the Mirror...

Arsenal to make £10million bid for Andrei Arshavin

Mirror.co.uk, UK - 7 minutes ago

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is ready to make a £10million bid for Russia's Euro 2008 star Andrei Arshavin. Wenger has already spoken to Zenit St Petersburg ...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/06/19/arsenal-to-make-10million-bid-for-andrei-arshavin-89520-20613151/

Its from the Mirror...

Arsenal to make £10million bid for Andrei Arshavin

Mirror.co.uk, UK - 7 minutes ago

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is ready to make a £10million bid for Russia's Euro 2008 star Andrei Arshavin. Wenger has already spoken to Zenit St Petersburg ...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/06/19/arsenal-to-make-10million-bid-for-andrei-arshavin-89520-20613151/

I've never been a fan of paying over the odds for players but on this occasion I'd fuck Arsenal over by offering £15m for him.

I doubt Wenger would match that given the Nasri is nearly through.