The Andrei Arshavin thread

Guest NUFC4
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

f****** hell man, people came for the money before so I'm sure they'll do it again. Calm down.

I am calm.

But I am also very disappointed by this.

KK has made a great impact with his "we are 2nd tier only" speech.

He has caused a great deal of (long-lasting, if hopefully not permanent) damage to our club.

No he hasn't man. Get a grip ffs.

As I said earlier - I wish you were right.

Sadly (as we will all come to realise soon) you are not right.

Oh man, let it go...

Guest alex

I get your point MP but I disagree completely. Honestly, the way some people overreact to things. I don't think his comments were particularly wise, purely because of the song and dance the press were bound to make out of them, but he said nothing anyone with half a clue, inlcuding the players we may or may not be targetting wouldn't have known anyway.

Guest alex

f****** hell man, people came for the money before so I'm sure they'll do it again. Calm down.

like Alan Smith .....

:D

There's a canny few good players we've signed in the last ten years or so who probably didn't think we were a top four or potential top four side. As though there were all these top players out there who were willing to sign for us but now won't because of KK's recent post-match comments.

Yeh your right i really think signings will be put off by the comments with the money and the right players why cant we not have a go at trying to break the top 4 but for now we need to build for a start getting into europe which is a major factor in helping us attracting the top players

I apologise if English isn't your first language but I honestly can't grasp what you're trying to say without you adding some punctuation.

How bipolar is manorpark? The other week he was telling us all that we could do anything.

Strange guy. Mentioned ten times that opinions might be different on the matter, but then made his point clear again, that there is no way that good footballers will join us after KKs comments?!?!?

Only time will tell.

I am calm.

But I am also very disappointed by this.

KK has made a great impact with his "we are 2nd tier only" speech.

He has caused a great deal of (long-lasting, if hopefully not permanent) damage to our club.

Not really.

He was just saying what we all were thinking.

We have slipped off the pace.

Souness and Sam have set us back even further, sure we were good 10 years ago, but players want to come for the here and now, and with no europe I can see many disappointed toon fans.

We need to be realistic, we need to build this year, get our arses back where we belong, then we can look at higher reputation players.

Can't disagree with most of that.

We had slipped off the pace, and it was becoming tricky to pick it back up again.  The most recent years since we were last in the top four and last qualified for the CL Group stages, have caused us a lot of harm.

But, we were always 'one of the few' who were always likely to bounce back (because of all the natural advantages we have, that I listed earlier).

Now, KK made it "sound like" were were no longer "temporarily out of the current top four places" we were "rightfully out of the top four places and aiming for our 'rightful' position of 5th only . . . "

That is the message he clearly sent around the football world, and with the implicit agreement (NON-disagreement) of the London press - the football world will be agreeing with him.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=49160.msg1166430#msg1166430

You are either a "big" club or you are not. We have always been a big club for over 100 years, that will not change.

In these modern 'finance-oriented' days, we are an even bigger club than in the past. For 15 years we have been the 5th biggest in England (except when we were 4th biggest) and our financial status in Europe has altered between 9th and (the current) 13th.

Now, with an English Multi-Billionaire as our owner, we have his wealth to add to our own - and the sky is the limit.  Remember "our own wealth" (produced annually from our business activities) will be huge now, with no interest to pay on debt repayments. Ashley will not, probably, need to top us up "Abramovich style" by very much at all - he already did it by paying off the debt!

I never know what people mean by a 'big' club, anyway?

Some people do not mean the club at all, whether they know it or not, they are really talking about 'the team', rather than the club.

Others are talking about success on the field. Currently there are four clubs in England doing better than any of us. That will, of course, change around, though there are a fair few people (mainly younger people) who think it is 'permanent' (for some reason)!

Others are only referring to the very-transient CURRENT (whenever 'current' may be) situation.  EG - "We are not a big club because CURRENTLY (right now) "we are not in Europe" / "we are not in the Champions League" / "we are not in the top six / top four / top 10" (or . .  whatever!!)

BIG CLUB STATUS IS SOMETHING THAT DOES NOT FLUCTUATE SO EASILY AS THAT!!

Anyway, our status will be confirmed over the next few years (even to the "inferiority-obsessed" young-uns on here!!!) by the Ashley / Mort / Keegan / Shearer? "new era" that is about to unfold.  SO exciting. So VERY exciting!

In my opinion, all this is, of course.

Couple of comments by Keegan and it does fluctuate as easily as that, it seems.

Guest BigAl2

Arshavin is fantastic he will end up at one of the big 4 in the prem or at Barca, Real Madrid or one of the Milan sides.

perhaps kev was just trying to shake a bit of the media attention off for next season? granted it might have backfired, but if nobody is expecting us to finish higher than 5th, and he added a few good signings and got the players we have now pulling their finger out a lot more and we did manage to crack the top 4 it would be a great achievement

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=49160.msg1166430#msg1166430

You are either a "big" club or you are not. We have always been a big club for over 100 years, that will not change.

In these modern 'finance-oriented' days, we are an even bigger club than in the past. For 15 years we have been the 5th biggest in England (except when we were 4th biggest) and our financial status in Europe has altered between 9th and (the current) 13th.

Now, with an English Multi-Billionaire as our owner, we have his wealth to add to our own - and the sky is the limit.  Remember "our own wealth" (produced annually from our business activities) will be huge now, with no interest to pay on debt repayments. Ashley will not, probably, need to top us up "Abramovich style" by very much at all - he already did it by paying off the debt!

Some people do not mean the club at all, whether they know it or not, they are really talking about 'the team', rather than the club.

Others are talking about success on the field. Currently there are four clubs in England doing better than any of us. That will, of course, change around, though there are a fair few people (mainly younger people) who think it is 'permanent' (for some reason)!

Others are only referring to the very-transient CURRENT (whenever 'current' may be) situation.  EG - "We are not a big club because CURRENTLY (right now) "we are not in Europe" / "we are not in the Champions League" / "we are not in the top six / top four / top 10" (or . .  whatever!!)

Anyway, our status will be confirmed over the next few years (even to the "inferiority-obsessed" young-uns on here!!!) by the Ashley / Mort / Keegan / Shearer? "new era" that is about to unfold.  SO exciting. So VERY exciting!

:-)

Get Arshavin in while we're at it get David Villa as well. No way would we get him. As for Kev's speech he said the truth the fact that the media jumped on it, and stirred it in to something that it wasn't doesn't mean keegan is aiming for 6th place. He will obviously try to get use as high in the league as possible. If he said we will be top4 next season and we come 6th people would complain so now he has said we won't be top 4 and then come 6th people can't complain

Manorpark is mental.

Takes one to know one ;)

I'll take that comment seriously and try to respond.

I am a life-long supporter of this football club, I am a realist and I am (at the same time) a visionary about things that are important to me, like NUFC, and I am not particularly stupid. (Neither am I 'mental' - as you mean it).

The fact is - KK has made things SO much more difficult, and it is (personally) saddening to realise that someone in his position actually DOES think like this.  OK, there are always the 'inferiority complex' supporters around - but not since the SJH takeover has someone in power at the club said what KK has just said.

You have to have ambition to succeed.  KK seems to now have lost this.  Totally.

Manorpark is mental.

Takes one to know one ;)

I am a life-long supporter of this football club, I am a realist and I am (at the same time) a visionary about things that are important to me, like NUFC, and I am not particularly stupid. (Neither am I 'mental' - as you mean it).

The fact is - KK has made things SO much more difficult, and it is (personally) saddening to realise that someone in his position actually DOES think like this.  OK, there are always the 'inferiority complex' supporters around - but not since the SJH takeover has someone in power at the club said what KK has just said.

You have to have ambition to succeed.  KK seems to now have lost this.  Totally.

Only joshing mate, relax.

You're completely wrong mind.

One swallow does not a summer make.  :pow:

Guest alex

Manorpark is mental.

Takes one to know one ;)

:lol: By trying to prove his point?

if we couldn't get arshavin, what would you fellas think of maybe benayoun or pablo aimar? we definitely need some midfield creativity, and the treatment room at st james is fast becoming 'the emre suite' formerly 'the kieron dyer lounge'

Newcastle have been credited as being long-term admirers and Arshavin's signature would likely sate a St James' Park crowd that craves entertainment.

Arshavin concedes that he is flattered by talk of Newcastle's interest.

"Of course I would like to play in England," he told the Daily Mirror.

"In Russia as well as England they are talking about Newcastle being interested in me and there has been no concrete offer.

"In principle if they made an offer I would be interested."

So he was apparenty interested in playing under Allardyce. Can't see how Keegan would have less of a chance, tbh.

Yes, as I have (now) said a few times in this thread - in the past I would NEVER have agreed with the "he won't come here" crowd. The number of blinkered inferiority complexes on here, used to really get me down.  Cant they see that we are a big club??????????????

NOW - we have been (please excuse the melodramatic language) 'stabbed in the back'.  Things have changed somewhat, because a person - WITH INFLUENCE - who is supposed to (because he always has) "think and speak the same way as me" has specifically used his influence to say exactly the opposite.  

When he speaks (KK) like this - it has an impact.

OK - it MAY (may, may, may) not be permanent, but at the moment it will have the same impact as if it was permanent - as if it was (as the 'inferiority complex' types have always said) a permanent FACT.

Guest alex

if we couldn't get arshavin, what would you fellas think of maybe benayoun or pablo aimar? we definitely need some midfield creativity, and the treatment room at st james is fast becoming 'the emre suite' formerly 'the kieron dyer lounge'

Depends how we're going to play. How many PL teams employ a genuine creative 'luxury' playmaker like that?

Guest alex

Yes, as I have (now) said a few times in this thread - in the past I would NEVER have agreed with the "he won't come here" crowd. The number of blinkered inferiority complexes on here, used to really get me down.  Cant they see that we are a big club??????????????

NOW - we have been (please excuse the melodramatic language) 'stabbed in the back'.  Things have changed somewhat, because a person - WITH INFLUENCE - who is supposed to (because he always has) "think and speak the same way as me" has specifically used his influence to say exactly the opposite.  

When he speaks (KK) like this - it has an impact.

OK - it MAY (may, may, may) not be permanent, but at the moment it will have the same impact as if it was permanent - as if it was (as the 'inferiority complex' types have always said) a permanent FACT.

Go and have a lie down in a dark room mate.

Manorpark is mental.

Takes one to know one ;)

:lol: By trying to prove his point?

Sorry??