Arda Turan?

Guest hindu times

At the moment im not fully sold on him - ill be honest what ive seen of him is purely youtube (so my opinion is pretty invalid) but it hasnt impressed me hugely, no doubt he's a good player and shows some good bits of skill which are difficult for any players to apply in a match some but i find that he seems to cut back alot becasue he lacks blistering pace to get away from his man, which slows up play alot. Alot of the defending is pretty shambolic as well - although wether thats to his credit i dont know.

He just reminds me of a slightly better Milner...id prefer a winger with raw pace who can get beyond the full back into spaces and create space for our forwards.

I didnt really see much of his play through the centre so i cant really judge him as a CM but as a winger he doesnt overly impress me.

Should have stopped there tbh.

Really?

Ill stick to my opinion - thought it would be dismissed but i guess this is another online attitude towards youtube where apprently its impossible to draw out anything from a compilation.  :rolleyes:

Like i say, its down to my preference of winger which is pacy and a good dribbler who can get beyond the full back, think its vitally important with 2 midgets in our attack to have someone who can cross on the floor into the box.

Everytime Turan seems to get away from someone he usually cuts back in - like Milner does and that gives the oppositon team a bit of time to gather themselves again. As a winger he'd be poor on the counter attack - much like milner.

His crossing seems good though and he's got a bit more vision about him so he might be alrite as a central playmaker - however as a winger he;s not my cup of tea.

He can only be judged on what he does when he's here at the end of the day - if he comes, of course.

So many players have looked good before and after Newcastle but been dog-dirt here and by the same token there've been a lot who have had their best years in black-and-white and never looked the same elsewhere.

You definitely can't make a proper assessment over YouTube though, whether it be a positive or negative one.

I'll stick with my "online attitude towards youtube" as opposed to deciding a player's not good enough judged on ten minutes of replayed clips if it's all the same.

And ill concede to that "online attitude to youtube" if you fancy telling me where i said he wasnt good enough... :rolleyes:

He can only be judged on what he does when he's here at the end of the day - if he comes, of course.

So many players have looked good before and after Newcastle but been dog-dirt here and by the same token there've been a lot who have had their best years in black-and-white and never looked the same elsewhere.

You definitely can't make a proper assessment over YouTube though, whether it be a positive or negative one.

Very true.

Amazing how many people become experts on players who a month earlier they'd probably struggled to name what team they played for.

Should point out that I wasn't having a go at you Fred with that comment, was very general indeed, just my take on the matter. In fact, if anything, it was refreshing to see somebody NOT getting giddy over a YouTube compilation.

Yeh i'd agree with that - dont get me wrong im not saying he's a crap player or he's an amazing player but i have my opinion on what we need as a winger and at the moment from what little i saw he struck me as a differnt type of winger to the one i have in mind.

Should point out that I wasn't having a go at you Fred with that comment, was very general indeed, just my take on the matter. In fact, if anything, it was refreshing to see somebody NOT getting giddy over a YouTube compilation.

:thup:

Yeh i'd agree with that - dont get me wrong im not saying he's a crap player or he's an amazing player but i have my opinion on what we need as a winger and at the moment from what little i saw he struck me as a differnt type of winger to the one i have in mind.

So you wouldn't want Bentley or Joe Cole playing out wide for us then?

Milner?

From that youtube clip I see someone with more awareness and subtlety than Milner has ever shown imo. Looks like he has more class. He creates space for himself to deliver the ball and shoot it far more effectively.

All Milner does is that step over which really doesn't get him by anyone, but hey it looks fancy I guess. Even worse is that he just does it to do it, as he doesn't use it at the right times a lot of the time. A lot of times he will try to do it when he is too close to his defender who just pokes a leg out to knock the ball away and send Milner sprawling. Contrary to popular belief Milners lack of ability to get into dangerous positions is due less to his lack of pace and more to his lack of know how.

Prime example is Bentley who is no quicker than Milner and might actually be slower. However, he has some delightful little cut backs and feints that get him into enough space to be a threat and cause problems for the other team. Bentley is another player who just has more class and know how.

I don't really want to get into Milner bashing mode, but let's just say I don't rate him that much. Besides i think Turan will play in our diamond midfield anyway.

It's funny though, because will we even be playing with wingers next season? That's why I'm not sure what sorts of player we're after, to me the likes of Turan and Modric are not "wingers" by definition, certainly not in the traditional Keegan mould of Sellars, Ginola, Fox, Gillespie... (fuck me, what a brilliant little quartet of players)... they seem to be more comparable to the likes of Hleb and Rosicky who play "wide" for Arsenal but aren't really wingers, much like Ljungberg and Pires weren't.

I have no clue what style of football we're going to play next season after this new formation has been brought in and been a relative success, so I struggle even more to make any judgements about how a player will do for us!

If we're playing 4-3-3, we don't want wingers, we want someone who can get down the flank but will also put in a shift in the middle like Barton and Geremi have been doing. Last thing we need is someone who will hug the touchline and leave the other two alone in midfield.

It's funny though, because will we even be playing with wingers next season? That's why I'm not sure what sorts of player we're after, to me the likes of Turan and Modric are not "wingers" by definition, certainly not in the traditional Keegan mould of Sellars, Ginola, Fox, Gillespie... (f*** me, what a brilliant little quartet of players)... they seem to be more comparable to the likes of Hleb and Rosicky who play "wide" for Arsenal but aren't really wingers, much like Ljungberg and Pires weren't.

I have no clue what style of football we're going to play next season after this new formation has been brought in and been a relative success, so I struggle even more to make any judgements about how a player will do for us!

Aye, very true, to be fair i havent really taken that into account at all. I was just comparing him to my view of a winger as i said in the first post. Its difficult to predict the right type  of player to play in the 3 man midfield - the only type i can be certain of is the DM but i aside from that im not entirely sure what to look for in the other 2.

If we're playing 4-3-3, we don't want wingers, we want someone who can get down the flank but will also put in a shift in the middle like Barton and Geremi have been doing. Last thing we need is someone who will hug the touchline and leave the other two alone in midfield.

Bingo.

The likes of Modric and Turan appear to be this type of player so it looks like this is what Keegan might have in mind.

Milner?

From that youtube clip I see someone with more awareness and subtlety than Milner has ever shown imo. Looks like he has more class. He creates space for himself to deliver the ball and shoot it far more effectively.

If you watch one of the Milner clips on Youtube, you'll see a player with an amazing awareness, an accurate cross, and a fierce shot. You see, they tend to take away the boring parts when making tribute videos.

Doesn't look like anything new mate.

At a Swedish forum anyone said that this had been said in the Turkish news (and maybe this it is)

- Keegan has been in Turkey and met the chairman.

- Newcastle has offered £11m but the club does´t want to sell because a few Germany clubs want him so the new asking price for him is £16m, not £12m.

Doesn't look like anything new mate.

At a Swedish forum anyone said that this had been said in the Turkish news (and maybe this it is)

- Keegan has been in Turkey and met the chairman.

- Newcastle has offered £11m but the club does´t want to sell because a few Germany clubs want him so the new asking price for him is £16m, not £12m.

That would only make sense, if the German clubs offered a higher fee, something I very much doubt...

That would only make sense, if the German clubs offered a higher fee, something I very much doubt...

16m pounds for a German Club? That's record breaking fees right?

They are talking 16m euros though. old news.

Exactly, why would they quote or offer in £'s?  On the Keegan meeting the chairman - no chance, he does not get involved with transfers now!!!!!!  One of the others maybe, not Keegan.