Comolli Sucks

KaKa

Football's very short-term and it is all about perceptions. There's no way we're perceived as a 'big' club at the moment. On the other hand, Spurs have finished above us for the last few seasons, been in Europe (and did okay) and have a manager who's highly reputable. Spurs aren't a 'big' club but they sure as hell are perceived as being bigger than we are at this moment of time.

If you can't see that then you're highly ignorant of the way the footballing world works now.

So you're not too impressed with Ashley and Morts "plan" to find all these 17 year old Gazza's then instead of getting back asap ?

Neither am I. And significantly, neither is the manager.

I always agreed with you over that point (in fact I think we were the only ones making it in one thread). However, we did go for Modric, and Woodgate, so the argument doesn't really work anymore. Unless you think they weren't real bids, like the Rooney one?

Lets put it this way. I can understand a player choosing manu before us, but I don't understand them choosing Spurs.

Have a look at the reaction to the JImmy Greaves comments about Newcastle not being as big as Spurs last month ? Thats some turnaround, the amount of people now saying that they are ..........

Currently, Spurs are better than us. They finished above us in the league and won a cup. Next season might be different, but I suspect most footballers are looking at a short term approach these days, seeing how easy it is to get transferred.

IN that case, the sooner we make some sort of statement of intent the better, wouldn't you agree ?

Absolutely. If only the £22m bid for Modric had come off eh.

of course, just like the bid for Rooney, but we weren't in competition with Manu for Modric though.

We offered more money. What else were we supposed to do? If wages don't attract the player, then it's the job of the manager to sell the club to him. Where did we fail with the Modric bid in your opinion?

agreed. This has been discussed. Keegan wasn't involved, the grand new "negotiating team" tried to do it. I don't know if we offered more money for him. The board say they did, but they also said they didn't offer the managers job to Redknapp while he says they did. They are hardly going to tell us they allowed Spurs to outbid us are they ?

I'm just not taking anything for granted until I see the intent and the ambition first.

I so wish we'd been able to get Modric. At least then we'd all be able to move onto the next thing the new board haven't done yet.

I think the next thing a chairman is supposed to do after a year in charge is slag off fans and players to the "cockney media" in a Spanish brothel.

Did we even speak to Modric? Some papers say he came over and had a look around the training ground but the Dinamo chairman said he didn't and only him and the players agent came over (who are brothers funnily enough)

I don't usually believe theory's but the one about Modric being told where he's going is convincing.

£1m for Rose

£2m for Taarabt

£1m for Parret

Dunno about the others.

And have any of those broke the first team.

Taarabt is 18 and has made his first team debut, Rose is 17 and has been on the bench twice, Parrett is 16 and not old enough to sign a professional contract.

But to imply "gems" means they have like Mr N'Zogbia starred in the first team and performed. Adel Taarbet is close, but to denote 3 as gems is very premature, and as for Lennon don't get me started VASTLY over-rated sprinter.

As for Spurs being the bigger club not at all. Is it 4 seasons they've been above us, as to my knowledge it's 3 they've never been in the Champions League, and their stadium is tiny. Just because their manager won the UEFA cup twice I don't think rates him. Rememeber they faced Middlesborough in the final the second time, what brilliant competition.

If you look at alot of Spurs signings, Huddlestone, Zokora, Davis, Mendes, Parmarot, Gardner, Kaboul, Chimbonda, Lee, Robinson, Bent, Rasiak. They have a lot of flops, some are bigger money than others. They have ruined a lot of England prospects likes of Davenport and Huddlestone spring to mind, Davis was highly rated in his Fulham days, and Routledge with palace. I think we are either on par or slightly better than Spurs. The Carling Cup is a mickey mouse tournament and I will not consider it a "Major trophy" even if we won it tomorrow.

We may never know the true reason why Modric chose Spurs, or joined them depending on your opinon, but the noises made from him mde it look weird when he then joined Spurs.

Cracking post.

£1m for Rose

£2m for Taarabt

£1m for Parret

Dunno about the others.

Taarabt is 18 and has made his first team debut, Rose is 17 and has been on the bench twice, Parrett is 16 and not old enough to sign a professional contract.

But to imply "gems" means they have like Mr N'Zogbia starred in the first team and performed. Adel Taarbet is close, but to denote 3 as gems is very premature, and as for Lennon don't get me started VASTLY over-rated sprinter.

As for Spurs being the bigger club not at all. Is it 4 seasons they've been above us, as to my knowledge it's 3 they've never been in the Champions League, and their stadium is tiny. Just because their manager won the UEFA cup twice I don't think rates him. Rememeber they faced Middlesborough in the final the second time, what brilliant competition.

If you look at alot of Spurs signings, Huddlestone, Zokora, Davis, Mendes, Parmarot, Gardner, Kaboul, Chimbonda, Lee, Robinson, Bent, Rasiak. They have a lot of flops, some are bigger money than others. They have ruined a lot of England prospects likes of Davenport and Huddlestone spring to mind, Davis was highly rated in his Fulham days, and Routledge with palace. I think we are either on par or slightly better than Spurs. The Carling Cup is a mickey mouse tournament and I will not consider it a "Major trophy" even if we won it tomorrow.

We may never know the true reason why Modric chose Spurs, or joined them depending on your opinon, but the noises made from him mde it look weird when he then joined Spurs.

Cracking post.

It misses the point though for me. Why should we be on par with Spurs for potential players at the moment? The post outlines numerous points that Spurs are achieving more than us in nearly every department at the moment. The point about champions league is null because it has been a long time since we were there too. Stadiums hardly seem like the biggest thing on the common players mind do they? I am not surprised in the slightest players are choosing spurs ahead of us at the moment.

£1m for Rose

£2m for Taarabt

£1m for Parret

Dunno about the others.

Cracking post.

It misses the point though for me. Why should we be on par with Spurs for potential players at the moment? The post outlines numerous points that Spurs are achieving more than us in nearly every department at the moment. The point about champions league is null because it has been a long time since we were there too. Stadiums hardly seem like the biggest thing on the common players mind do they? I am not surprised in the slightest players are choosing spurs ahead of us at the moment.

The true fact of the matter is probably down to the geography of the clubs.London is a huge magnet for this quality of player,and if their agents,or even the players themselves believe what the Southern press write about Newcastle,then it becomes apparent why these players choose to go to Southern or London clubs.What we need is Kev to make a Ferdinand type signing,ie a big name signing,leaving London to come to Newcastle,and maybe that will encourage others that London isnt the be all and end all tbh.

Guest kingdawson

i don't think it is as simple as saying Modric chose Spurs cos they are a better prospect, european football, more high profile manager. from everything i've read it seems he had little to no part in where he ended up and the negotiations were done by the Mamic brothers who represent both Dinamo and the player himself.

Modric himself said "On Friday, the president of Dynamo Zagreb called me to tell me he had agreed a deal with Tottenham that was perfect for me. At first, I was very surprised, then a few seconds later, I was proud over the prospect of coming to England." hardly sounds like he made the decision based on the above criteria, more like he had the decision made for him by other people for other reasons.

I wouldnt bother - apparently you'd be kidding yourself into thinking that this transfer was anything else but clear cut....

You see, there you go getting it wrong again.

I honestly dont know how the deal was conducted but one thing im near enough certain about, is that Modric does not have a minimum release clause in his contract. Hardly any club in the premiership operates in that way, and our stingy owners wont have that one bit.

Guest kingdawson

£1m for Rose

£2m for Taarabt

£1m for Parret

Dunno about the others.

We ruined Huddlestone?? thats some next type of drugs you're on.

It's embarassing that some of our fans have to make up ridiculous claims in their head to justify why Modric chose Spurs over us. It's pretty simple, man. They're just a better prospect than we are at the moment and you're living in the clouds if you think that being in Europe and having a reputable manager like Ramos doesn't make a difference.

And this is not defeatist of me to admit this as well. In fact, the sooner we all realise this, the sooner we can try to fix our problems (instead of ignoring it) and improve the club as a prospect instead of merely saying 'oh yeah, that player signed for them only because of that clause and this clause'.

Spot On.

It's refreshing that a player moves for his career ambition and the chance of European football and a better coach, rather than moving to the club that offered him the better salary. Even if it is annoying that it's Spurs he is moving too.

The ONLY area where they score, is that they are in London, and not every player would see this as the be all and end all.

having won silverware this season and being in the uefa cup next season must count for something, surely?

Well, Cardiff have just appeared in the FA Cup Final, and pompey have won the FA Cup. Are you saying both of those clubs, especially the winners, are also bigger and better than us ?

no i'm not, you're the one bringing those two clubs into the thread, not me. the thread is about spurs, who have just won silverware and are in the uefa cup next season, and that has to be a draw for a player, sorry like, it seems beyond obvious to me.

Well, so have pompey.

Correct or not ?

eh? you want me to validate whether you're statement 'portsmouth have won silverware this season and qualified for europe next season' is correct or not? why?

spurs and pompey aredifferent clubs, different reputations, different managers, different squads and more importantly different locations. we all know going to london is a big draw for a lot of players, especially foreigners.

the only reason i entered the discussion was to counter your belief that the ONLY area in which spurs 'scored' over nufc was that they're in london, i dont agree. recent silverware and uefa cup football + london team=bigger draw than us at present, pretty obvious imo.

i mean, whats your point anyway? spurs aren't a bigger draw than us? its just that mort and ashley are so shit they cant find a pen to seal the modric transfer?

It's embarassing that some of our fans have to make up ridiculous claims in their head to justify why Modric chose Spurs over us. It's pretty simple, man. They're just a better prospect than we are at the moment and you're living in the clouds if you think that being in Europe and having a reputable manager like Ramos doesn't make a difference.

And this is not defeatist of me to admit this as well. In fact, the sooner we all realise this, the sooner we can try to fix our problems (instead of ignoring it) and improve the club as a prospect instead of merely saying 'oh yeah, that player signed for them only because of that clause and this clause'.

Spot On.

It's refreshing that a player moves for his career ambition and the chance of European football and a better coach, rather than moving to the club that offered him the better salary. Even if it is annoying that it's Spurs he is moving too.

The ONLY area where they score, is that they are in London, and not every player would see this as the be all and end all.

having won silverware this season and being in the uefa cup next season must count for something, surely?

Well, Cardiff have just appeared in the FA Cup Final, and pompey have won the FA Cup. Are you saying both of those clubs, especially the winners, are also bigger and better than us ?

no i'm not, you're the one bringing those two clubs into the thread, not me. the thread is about spurs, who have just won silverware and are in the uefa cup next season, and that has to be a draw for a player, sorry like, it seems beyond obvious to me.

Well, so have pompey.

Correct or not ?

eh? you want me to validate whether you're statement 'portsmouth have won silverware this season and qualified for europe next season' is correct or not? why?

spurs and pompey aredifferent clubs, different reputations, different managers, different squads and more importantly different locations. we all know going to london is a big draw for a lot of players, especially foreigners.

the only reason i entered the discussion was to counter your belief that the ONLY area in which spurs 'scored' over nufc was that they're in london, i dont agree. recent silverware and uefa cup football + london team=bigger draw than us at present, pretty obvious imo.

i mean, whats your point anyway? spurs aren't a bigger draw than us? its just that mort and ashley are so shit they cant find a pen to seal the modric transfer?

point is that Newcastle United are a bigger club than Spurs - as everyone said when Jimmy Greaves said the opposite - so I don't accept that - in spite of them being slightly better for the past few years [for the first time in a while] we can't beat them to our transfer targets. There is obviously a problem with how we are selling the club. As for Modric being told he had to sign for Spurs, thats a load of crap, no big money players like that sign for clubs they don't want to sign for. He preferred Spurs to us for some reason, or his club preferred Spurs' cash instead of ours.  People are making out that Spurs are more well known than us. Well, they aren't. We have played in europe far more than they have in the last 15 years. We have signed big players, played in the Champions League, bought a player once who broke the world Transfer record, and have a manager who is well known everywhere.

Yes, I can see it now. 

Modric: "Hmmm, Spurs are offering me European football and life in London, which I like.  However Newcastle once broke the world Transfer record and are historically a 'bigger' club.  F**k it that's settled then, make a Geordie out of me."

Yes, I can see it now. 

Modric: "Hmmm, Spurs are offering me European football and life in London, which I like.  However Newcastle once broke the world Transfer record and are historically a 'bigger' club.  F**k it that's settled then, make a Geordie out of me."

ok, you don't believe in the club, and you're happy with mediocrity and 2nd rate standards.

Hope you put on record you agreed with Jimmy Greaves the other week, and all the other London journos who agree with him.

Spot On.

Well, so have pompey.

Correct or not ?

i mean, whats your point anyway? spurs aren't a bigger draw than us? its just that mort and ashley are so s*** they cant find a pen to seal the modric transfer?

point is that Newcastle United are a bigger club than Spurs - as everyone said when Jimmy Greaves said the opposite - so I don't accept that - in spite of them being slightly better for the past few years [for the first time in a while] we can't beat them to our transfer targets. There is obviously a problem with how we are selling the club. As for Modric being told he had to sign for Spurs, thats a load of crap, no big money players like that sign for clubs they don't want to sign for. He preferred Spurs to us for some reason, or his club preferred Spurs' cash instead of ours.  People are making out that Spurs are more well known than us. Well, they aren't. We have played in europe far more than they have in the last 15 years. We have signed big players, played in the Champions League, bought a player once who broke the world Transfer record, and have a manager who is well known everywhere.

Thing is, despite all this being correct, on the continent Spurs are still very often considered to be the bigger or more "glamorous" club. At least that is my experience. It's really strange how often I had myself to point out to people what kind of club Newcastle is and justify myself to support such a club.

Yes, I can see it now. 

ok, you don't believe in the club, and you're happy with mediocrity and 2nd rate standards.

Hope you put on record you agreed with Jimmy Greaves the other week, and all the other London journos who agree with him.

****'s sake, give it up NE5 - you're a broken record, but more importantly, you don't have any perspective on things: do you still think we're in 95/96?  NUFC and THFC are pretty similar in terms of 'who is the bigger club'?  In post-war times, we have the bigger stadium/fanbase etc, they have the better trophy record.  Yes, we were bigger than them from the early/mid 90s up to a few seasons ago.  They were bigger than us in the 80s - by your logic of believing that clubs are only as big as their last 10 years, why weren't all the Spuds moaning about how they weren't beating us to players in the mid 90s?

The fact is, we had a great period in the mid-to-late 90s, but within the last 3 or 4 years the pendulum has swung slightly back in their favour again - that's not to say that it won't come back round to us in future (or that we shouldn't do everything we can to get that swing happening asap), but if you think that 1) we're a more attractive proposition than Spurs at the minute, or 2) we're a lot bigger than them overall, your black-and-white specs have been welded to your face.

There's nothing to say that having ambition to get back to the top has to be mutually exclusive with realistically realising that we're slightly below them in the pecking order at the moment, or indeed that either NUFC or THFC can definitively claim to be a bigger club (in general, not at a specific point in time) in the modern era.

Spot On.

Well, so have pompey.

Correct or not ?

i mean, whats your point anyway? spurs aren't a bigger draw than us? its just that mort and ashley are so s*** they cant find a pen to seal the modric transfer?

Thing is, despite all this being correct, on the continent Spurs are still very often considered to be the bigger or more "glamorous" club. At least that is my experience. It's really strange how often I had myself to point out to people what kind of club Newcastle is and justify myself to support such a club.

Airbus here is packed with em.

Yes, I can see it now. 

****'s sake, give it up NE5 - you're a broken record, but more importantly, you don't have any perspective on things: do you still think we're in 95/96?  NUFC and THFC are pretty similar in terms of 'who is the bigger club'?  In post-war times, we have the bigger stadium/fanbase etc, they have the better trophy record.  Yes, we were bigger than them from the early/mid 90s up to a few seasons ago.  They were bigger than us in the 80s - by your logic of believing that clubs are only as big as their last 10 years, why weren't all the Spuds moaning about how they weren't beating us to players in the mid 90s?

The fact is, we had a great period in the mid-to-late 90s, but within the last 3 or 4 years the pendulum has swung slightly back in their favour again - that's not to say that it won't come back round to us in future (or that we shouldn't do everything we can to get that swing happening asap), but if you think that 1) we're a more attractive proposition than Spurs at the minute, or 2) we're a lot bigger than them overall, your black-and-white specs have been welded to your face.

There's nothing to say that having ambition to get back to the top has to be mutually exclusive with realistically realising that we're slightly below them in the pecking order at the moment, or indeed that either NUFC or THFC can definitively claim to be a bigger club (in general, not at a specific point in time) in the modern era.

Spot on. that's how I see it.

During the 90s I thought it probably was a German thing and Klinsmann was to blame for the Spurs hype. But we always have some foreign workers or students playing in my pub team, especially from France, and I realised it's them as well. I use to play in my '96 Toon top and at best people are recognising it (and not asking me if I am a Juve fan), but when the discussion start about why I support Newcastle and not one of the more well known clubs it is often really puzzling.

During the 90s I thought it probably was a German thing and Klinsmann was to blame for the Spurs hype. But we always have some foreign workers or students playing in my pub team, especially from France, and I realised it's them as well. I use to play in my '96 Toon top and at best people are recognising it (and not asking me if I am a Juve fan), but when the discussion start about why I support Newcastle and not one of the more well known clubs it is often really puzzling.

Always wondered why that was Wolfgang btw mate? I know you're a huge Keegan fan, was that something behind it?

Always wondered why that was Wolfgang btw mate? I know you're a huge Keegan fan, was that something behind it?

Keegan was my first idol as a kid. So yes, I am literally a KBJ. The style of football and the fact that Beardsley and Waddle, two other players I really liked, were (ex-) Newcastle players helped, too.