Keegan/Wise/Jimenez

Mr Logic

How does everyone picture the signing of a new player unfolding? What would be a timetable of events from start to finish assuming a successful signing?

1: Keegan and Wise talk about players.

2: Keegan has final say, I want 'X' and 'Y'.

3: Wise tells Jimenez.

4: Jimenez goes to work, negotiating length of contract, salary and other perks based on guidelines set by Mort/Ashley.

Is that it do you think, or is that too simplistic?

The reason for my post is I see there is a lot of speculation and/or confusion over peoples roles, and I'm certainly no wiser..

if Keegan is not involved in the later part of the process I think the club is missing out in not utilising the best salesmen the club has. Also it's difficult to see Keegan being happy with it. Surely the club would recognise the potential Keegan has in such a role so it can't be as laid out above, can it?

Certainly if I was a player I would expect to talk to the man who would be giving me my day to day instructions. So maybe it's more like this..

1: Keegan and Wise talk about players.

2: Keegan has final say, I want 'X' and 'Y'.

3: Wise tells Jimenez.

4: Jimenez goes to work, making contact and arranging meeting between player and Keegan

5: Player meets Keegan, all goes well, everyone smiling.

6 Jimenez goes to work, negotiating length of contract, salary and other perks based on guidelines set by Mort/Ashley.

Second scenario sounds better/more likely?

Possibly more like the latter. It would be hard to see a signing being made without the player meeting and having some form of discussion with the manager. That would be the case at any club. It's not just a case of using KK as a salesman, but for him to get a feel for the guy on a personal level, and find out if he'll be able to work with him...

I think it depends entirely on what type of player is being signed. Wise and Keegan will have a meeting, certainly, but I would imagine both would go in with an armful of files and a box of DVD's.

Keegan's first team needs are paramount, and one would think the first discussions would be on strengthening the gaps - KK might say "I looked at the DVD's of those French boys Diane and Gomis you told me about, lets go for them" for instance. After the meeting, Wise would tell both Mort and Jimenez, with Jimenez attempting to negotiate a fee with the opposition club.

Wise might then say "We're looking at this Dutch boy for the academy, here's the file. Still raw but quick and tricky..." I imagine this wouldn't be an "asking" Keegan, but "telling" him (not saying that's a good thing, just how I feel it is)

There are also impromptu targets - one can imagine Keegan getting a conference call from Jimenez and Wise saying "We've got Barcelona on hold, they're offering us Deco for a good price, do you want him?" One would hope that Keegan's recommendation is taken 10 times out of 10 in these cases.

Once the fee is negotiated with the club and time comes to agree personal terms with the players is where it gets tricky. There are those who feel Keegan does not have enough influence in this area, and I fear those concerns are well founded. A manager must have the chance to look his prospective employee in the eye and guage what sort of man he is and whether he can work with the player. And indeed, when the player is wavering, Keegan can win the day in a way that Wise, Jimenez, Mort, Vetere and Ashley combined can't do...

Guest Deep456

This is the definate structure.

1) Keegan was brought in as a fan's figureheard.

2) Wise/Jimenez are doing all the transfers.

3) Keegan must agree to all the transfers that Wise/Jimenez are proposing. However, Keegan manages team matters and can recommend players to the pair.

Guest Slippery Sam

3) Keegan must agree to all the transfers that Wise/Jimenez are proposing. However, Keegan manages team matters and can recommend players to the pair.

Definite shite.

Keegan wont have to agree to anything. Anyone who knows anything about Kevin Keegan will know this as fact.

Not like you to talk shit...

Guest Jawesome

I think Dennis Wise has a bigger role to play other than messenger from Keegan to Big Tony J.

Guest Stephen927

Definite s****.

Keegan wont have to agree to anything. Anyone who knows anything about Kevin Keegan will know this as fact.

Couldn't agree me. People are too quick to paint a bad picture of the current system in place, saying Keegan was only brought in to appease the fans and hold the ship until Wise takes over.

Er.. ok.. why would Ashley be paying Keegan such a lucrative contract to be sitting on his hands all summer?

Of course Keegan has a big role at the club. I have every faith that he is very much involved with transfers and identifying players, Wise, Jiminez, Vetere are there for contacting other clubs, organising fees, recommending players, bringing in youth, balancing the books etc etc.

We've got a damn good system in place. Now we just need to get the league positions to really allow this system to flourish.

I would like to think the chairman is leading the deal making process as he is the owners top henchman. I would also like to think the Acadmeny Diretor has input into kids who he & his team coach's will be training for the aim of first team football.

I would like to think the chairman is leading the deal making process as he is the owners top henchman.

He won't be becuase he has already said he doesn't know enough about football. That's why we have Jimenez.

Definite s****.

Couldn't agree me. People are too quick to paint a bad picture of the current system in place, saying Keegan was only brought in to appease the fans and hold the ship until Wise takes over.

Er.. ok.. why would Ashley be paying Keegan such a lucrative contract to be sitting on his hands all summer?

Of course Keegan has a big role at the club. I have every faith that he is very much involved with transfers and identifying players, Wise, Jiminez, Vetere are there for contacting other clubs, organising fees, recommending players, bringing in youth, balancing the books etc etc.

We've got a damn good system in place. Now we just need to get the league positions to really allow this system to flourish.

Especially seeing as the same sort of system is in place at other clubs & they are praised for it

I would like to think the chairman is leading the deal making process as he is the owners top henchman.

He won't be becuase he has already said he doesn't know enough about football. That's why we have Jimenez.

As he is coming up to year in charge of running a football club I would like to think he knows something.  David Gill was an accountant yet he seems quite capable of running Man Utd? Do you think Mort is out of his depth dealing with contracts?

Guest Stephen927

Definite s****.

Especially seeing as the same sort of system is in place at other clubs & they are praised for it

I gurantee you this is the truth. Also at no point did I say Wise would talk over. Wise is the guy who is handling all the transfers with Jimenez.

No, I know you didn't say it. It's just something I've heard from other supposed ITK's. ;)

Keegan is also handling transfers.

Deep everyone knows you are a little kid who knows f*** all. Stop boring us with your s***.

Shut up and get a life. You know what a forum is? Stop posting comments which aren't relevant. Kthxbai.

A forum isnt a place that you just post any random shit that comes into your bored little mind and pass it off as fact.

Dont know if im an old romantic but i would just love it if KK was selling the club  with his enthusiasm  to a player ,but time will tell if this works or not with the current set-up.

As he is coming up to year in charge of running a football club I would like to think he knows something.  David Gill was an account yet he seems quite capable of running Man Utd? Do you think Mort is out of his depth dealing with contracts?

Taken straight from Wiki...

Gill joined Manchester United PLC in 1997 as Finance Director. In August 2000, he was promoted to Deputy Chief Executive whilst retaining his Finance Director responsibilities. In July 2001, Nick Humby was appointed Finance Director of Manchester United PLC, so Gill was promoted again this time to the title of Group Managing Director, allowing him to concentrate on managing the day-to-day operations of the business (including sponsorship & marketing, business development, financial services, conference & catering, ticketing & membership and group property).

In September 2003, after the departure of previous Chief Executive, Peter Kenyon, to rival club Chelsea F.C., Gill was promoted yet again to Chief Executive of Manchester United PLC. In 2005, he was appointed Chief Executive of the private limited company, Manchester United Ltd, that succeeded Manchester United PLC after the takeover by Malcolm Glazer.[1]

Gill is vice-chairman of the management committee of G-14, an organisation of leading European football clubs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gill_%28executive%29

Seems as though David Gill had years of experience at a massively successful football club before being made chief exec. Mort is still very much learning the business and that is why he is surrounding himself with, what he considers experts, i.e. Wise, Jimenez, Vetere etc. (In my opinion anyway...)

They need to reintroduce the cane at Haberdashers.

Cane for what? Saying the truth. You may not like to hear the truth but its the fact. There is further evidence that even Keegan's tone has changed dramatically over the transfers.

For being a lying twerp with incorrectly perceived self-importance.

Guest Stephen927

Deep everyone knows you are a little kid who knows f*** all. Stop boring us with your s***.

Shut up and get a life. You know what a forum is? Stop posting comments which aren't relevant. Kthxbai.

A forum isnt a place that you just post any random s*** that comes into your bored little mind and pass it off as fact.

Well firstly a forum is to voice your opinion and in that matter you do post what comes into your mind and secondly I know for a fact this is true. You have no proof to say otherwise.

And you don't have any proof to back up your claims.

A forum isnt a place that you just post any random s*** that comes into your bored little mind and pass it off as fact.

Well firstly a forum is to voice your opinion and in that matter you do post what comes into your mind and secondly I know for a fact this is true. You have no proof to say otherwise.

But everyone knows you are full of shit. How many of your "I know for a fact its true" comments have ever turned out correct? Bore off, haven't you got some homework to do or something?

Cane for what? Saying the truth. You may not like to hear the truth but its the fact. There is further evidence that even Keegan's tone has changed dramatically over the transfers.

What do you want me to do? Take a picture with Matthew Mort and his dad and post it on here?

Well that would make you an untrustworthy twerp with incorrectly perceived self-importance.

Guest Stephen927

And you don't have any proof to back up your claims.

Yes I agree with you that I can't back up my claims enough to make you believe me. But I can only give you my word which I am.

Similarly we could have someone else who claims they know Chris Mort, and his claims are the complete opposite to yours. Who then do we believe? That's why so many people have a problem with these "ITK" claims, because many of them contradict each other and it turns out that no one can provide any proof.

I don't have a problem with you, I just don't believe Keegan has no input in transfers. He would have walked by now if he wasn't involved.

But everyone knows you are full of s***. How many of your "I know for a fact its true" comments have ever turned out correct? Bore off, haven't you got some homework to do or something?

So which ones have been totally full of shit?

Every single one of them :lol:

Mods/Admin, can we not introduce a 5 thousands posts before you can post rule? ;)

What do you want me to do? Take a picture with Matthew Mort and his dad and post it on here?

mackems.gif

Aye, that'll do.

:crazy2:

Even if you do know the lad, why would anyone believe that daddy tells him the intricate workings of one of the richest football clubs in the world? Jesus H Christ the kid cracks me up...

:rolleyes: