Mario Gomez

bodson

Now this is a signing i can see mike splashing the cash for. He meets all the supposed criteria, under 24 etc etc. and tbh isnt really a risk. This has alot more legs than people are giving credit for. And i am sure money and clauses can be pushed in such a way that he would come here.

everything fits from our viewpoint.....what about his ?

Now this is a signing i can see mike splashing the cash for. He meets all the supposed criteria, under 24 etc etc. and tbh isnt really a risk. This has alot more legs than people are giving credit for. And i am sure money and clauses can be pushed in such a way that he would come here.

Premier league. Wages. Michael Owen.... now it gets hard

so you have a sexual thing for michael owen....why would that persuade a young german forward to choose us over europes best ?

Liverpool and Arsenal are also interested.

Now, I can see him not going to Liverpool, due to a lack of funds they'll have if DIC don't take over, but with the other interested parties, I can't see us getting him.

Wouldn't hurt to put a bid in though.

so you have a sexual thing for michael owen....why would that persuade a young german forward to choose us over europes best ?

I consider having the oppurtunity to play with michael owen to be drawcard for signing a contract here.

If mike was serious about his supposed transfer policy, he should be "out bidding" liverpool and arsenal for this signature imo. And when i say outbid i mean make an offer they cant refuse and get to contract negotioations beofre they even have a sniff.

I consider having the oppurtunity to play with michael owen to be drawcard for signing a contract here.

would be but look at the personnel at other clubs...not impossible but unlikely...........i'd be very happy with it mind

Just dont see Arsenal putting £20m+ on the table to be honest, even though this would be the summer to do so.

I personally think he'll be at Barca or Madrid.

This is most likely outcome - there is no way players of this calibre are going to come to SJP until we make a huge improvement in our status ; that is why Wise & Co have to earn their corn - they need to spot the potential in young players BEFORE they become as sought after as Gomez..

All this stuff is just aimed at selling papers to gullible fans of any club mentioned - I would have thought NUFC fans would have learned their lesson by now, we are in a mess when it comes to attracting top talent, esp when it has matured.

Come to think of it - wasn't Gomes the name of the father in the original 'Adams Family'....!!??

Just dont see Arsenal putting £20m+ on the table to be honest, even though this would be the summer to do so.

This is most likely outcome - there is no way players of this calibre are going to come to SJP until we make a huge improvement in our status ; that is why Wise & Co have to earn their corn - they need to spot the potential in young players BEFORE they become as sought after as Gomez..

All this stuff is just aimed at selling papers to gullible fans of any club mentioned - I would have thought NUFC fans would have learned their lesson by now, we are in a mess when it comes to attracting top talent, esp when it has matured.

Come to think of it - wasn't Gomes the name of the father in the original 'Adams Family'....!!??

Has this been mentioned in the press though? I've only seen it mentioned on .com.

Has this been mentioned in the press though? I've only seen it mentioned on .com.

will stay that way till spurs sign him imo  :smiley6600:

No chance at all. If he goes it will be for a big club and most likely to be Spain (as his father is Spanish).

Maybe so, but the Premiership is a big lure for foreign players these days. So many big clubs were linked with Modric but he ended up choosing between us and Spurs.

I also believe that Mort and Ashley won't mind paying big wages for genuine emerging stars as opposed to over-the-hill celebrities like Henry.

Of course the Premierleague is a big lure. But the attraction is considerable higher for someone from the Croatian league compared to someone who already earns good money in Germany. Gomez will leave Stuttgart. But this will most likely to be next year and most likely  to be a club with a much bigger reputation than Newcastle who Gomez would see as a step down or sidestep, despite the lure of the Premierleague.

I think this is possible too. Big clubs more often than not tend to go for the 100% established players for the most part. For example if this guy were to have a phenomenal Euro 2008 I could then see them clamouring for him. However, right now I think we would be in with a chance.

Berbatov was at Leverkusen for years and he was a known commodity but still there was that uncertainty, but they would all have him now wouldn't they?

Gomez will go to Madrid to replace Van Horseface. That is my prediction. Half Spanish, and the Madrid coach is German, nailed on. Makes perfek sense.

Rather than risk a Gomez at this point, I believe Madrid are more likely to go after a Berbatov or Fabiano.

No chance at all. If he goes it will be for a big club and most likely to be Spain (as his father is Spanish).

Maybe so, but the Premiership is a big lure for foreign players these days. So many big clubs were linked with Modric but he ended up choosing between us and Spurs.

I also believe that Mort and Ashley won't mind paying big wages for genuine emerging stars as opposed to over-the-hill celebrities like Henry.

Of course the Premierleague is a big lure. But the attraction is considerable higher for someone from the Croatian league compared to someone who already earns good money in Germany. Gomez will leave Stuttgart. But this will most likely to be next year and most likely  to be a club with a much bigger reputation than Newcastle who Gomez would see as a step down or sidestep, despite the lure of the Premierleague.

You could be right, but I just think that younger foreign players are more likely to be enthusiastic to test their mettle in the Premier given the opportunity. It might be possible to earn good money in Germany or Holland say, but the best players in the world aren't usually playing in those leagues these days. I don't think it's an outrageous idea that we could bid for him at least believing we have a chance of securing the player.

You could be right, but I just think that younger foreign players are more likely to be enthusiastic to test their mettle in the Premier given the opportunity. It might be possible to earn good money in Germany or Holland say, but the best players in the world aren't usually playing in those leagues these days. I don't think it's an outrageous idea that we could bid for him at least believing we have a chance of securing the player.

There are less good players playing there, but still the likes of van der Vaart, Diego, Ribery, Toni plus the majority of the German national team players. Of course the English league is the better and more attractive one, but teamwise that more or less only applies to the top teams, i.e. the so called big four. The rest are not more attractive than the top clubs from the domestic league. People who think that a club like Newcastle is more attractive just because it is playing in a more attractive league are really blinkered.

What could Newcastle offer a player like Gomez to be a stepping stone (or the likes of Diego or van der Vaart who hilariously get named here as possible signings again and again)? They know that their performances get noted at their clubs, they play in European competitions and already earn good money. All that they are waiting for are offers from top European clubs, but not from mediocre ones.

In German TV he said he wants to wait until the european championship is over and after this he will look for a new club. He also said that he wants to play in the Champions League next season. -> So no chance for him I think...

"There are less good players playing there, but still the likes of van der Vaart, Diego, Ribery, Toni plus the majority of the German national team players. Of course the English league is the better and more attractive one, but teamwise that more or less only applies to the top teams, i.e. the so called big four. The rest are not more attractive than the top clubs from the domestic league. People who think that a club like Newcastle is more attractive just because it is playing in a more attractive league are really blinkered.

What could Newcastle offer a player like Gomez to be a stepping stone (or the likes of Diego or van der Vaart who hilariously get named here as possible signings again and again)? They know that their performances get noted at their clubs, they play in European competitions and already earn good money. All that they are waiting for are offers from top European clubs, but not from mediocre ones."

were manchester city a bigger draw than atletico madrid when petrov signed for them? were we a bigger draw than deportivo when luque signed for us?

this european competition bullshit is getting blown out of all proportion - you agree an acceptable fee with the club they'll let him leave, you pay the guy enough and convince him you're trying to build something he'll come

i agree that the fact newcastle are in the PL isn't a massive draw in itself but if we agreed a fee for a 21 year old and brought him to SJP, showed him around, he meets the likes of owen etc...and we spin him a line of bullshit about how much we're gonna do and he's the first building block then why wouldn't he come?  we might be in the gutter but it shouldn't stop us looking at the stars my friend...

you don't offer enough of a fee or enough wages you don't get the player, end of story...

one final question, out of van der vaart and elano who do you think had the higher profile across europe/worldwide this year given the nature of exposure the german and english leagues get respectively?  i know where my money would be

You think Elano has a higher profile just because he played a handful of decent games in England for City at the start of the season? Wow.

As for Petrov: He wasn't a regular at Atletico anymore when he left and they wanted to get rid of him as much as the player wanted to go. When we signed Luque, Deportivo had missed out on European football, while Newcastle had not and were willing to massively increase his wages. Totally different scenarios.

Of course there is nothing wrong with going to try to sign players like Gomez. I am all for this. All what I am saying is that the chances of signing these players are incredible slim. And in case of Gomez I am not basing this on some hypothetical scenario, but on direct quotes from the player about his future plans.

You think Elano has a higher profile just because he played a handful of decent games in England for City at the start of the season? Wow.

As for Petrov: He wasn't a regular at Atletico anymore when he left and they wanted to get rid of him as much as the player wanted to go. When we signed Luque, Deportivo had missed out on European football, while Newcastle had not and were willing to massively increase his wages. Totally different scenarios.

Of course there is nothing wrong with going to try to sign players like Gomez. I am all for this. All what I am saying is that the chances of signing these players are incredible slim. And in case of Gomez I am not basing this on some hypothetical scenario, but on direct quotes from the player about his future plans.

what isegrim says is right but there have been occasions when it did happen.......if we can afford it stick a bid in and see what happens.