Mario Gomez

bodson

Funny the way a player is either not good enough to play for us or we are incapable of attracting him.

I'd never heard of Gomez until we were linked with him, now i'm not doubting he's a huge talent but "too big" for this club.... f*** off.

Every year the same drivel about how we can't attract big/good players anymore.

Bundesliga player of the year last year --- and you never heard of him.

Come on, I couldn't imagine a better prospect than Modric will choose a club who even cannot play in UEFA cup. Counter this statement please.

sad indictment of the way some look at the game. yes those attributes are nice but don't go even half way to making a good player. nouse,poise and technique are all greater attributes.

Certainly, but for a striker or a forward nowadays, you need to be physically outstanding in order to make it in the highest level. A good example is Eto'o, who has lost his exploding pace after injury and has been extremely s***. If Spurs sign him for 24m it will be a heaven like news for us --- a even worse signing then Bent.

Gomez is great in finishing. I wouldn't say he is technically better than Klose but he is a lot more consistent. To be fair I rate him same as Klose as a goal threat, but he is only 22 years old and is already doing wonders. He also has the physique to make it and that's the reason why he has a very promising future, unlike Podolski.

you don't need to be physically outstanding. even with his lack of pace michael owen would be in the top 4 if he played more games. raul isn't phsically outstanding nor eduardo. torres isn't as tall as most of the defenders marking him and doesn't have the pace of bellamy or martins.

Funny the way a player is either not good enough to play for us or we are incapable of attracting him.

I'd never heard of Gomez until we were linked with him, now i'm not doubting he's a huge talent but "too big" for this club.... f*** off.

Every year the same drivel about how we can't attract big/good players anymore.

Bundesliga player of the year last year --- and you never heard of him.

Come on, I couldn't imagine a better prospect than Modric will choose a club who even cannot play in UEFA cup. Counter this statement please.

I'm glad you challenged me ;)

Counter No1

In case you hadn't noticed the standard of the Bundesliga is terrible. Not bad, not quite awful but terrible (barring 2 perhaps 3 teams). However, i do understand that it means he beat players such as Podolski, Klose etc which is commendable but winning Bundesliga player of the year does not automatically make you a great player.

On the same note, i'm not going to allow anyone to use the "well he's scored this many goals in this many games". The reason why this doesn't make you a great player is underlined by the failures of, Shevchenko, Kezman and Kuyt (as a goalscorer) in this league.

Counter No2

In your opinion, he's a better prospect than Modric but this sort of statement can only be built on opinion. However, i agree it would be in his best interests to join a club that is playing in europe but i will never accept that if he had to choose between us and Everton (example) he would choose Everton (only because their playin in the UEFA cup) especially when we have so many overriding qualities on them.

After all that i do want to point out i think he would be a very good addition to our squad and a success in this league. I'm just sick of hearing "we don't have the same attraction anymore" something i've been hearing for the last 4 years.   

you don't need to be physically outstanding. even with his lack of pace michael owen would be in the top 4 if he played more games. raul isn't phsically outstanding nor eduardo. torres isn't as tall as most of the defenders marking him and doesn't have the pace of bellamy or martins.

Owen is an exceptional case. He is simply brilliant. His scoring instinct is still probably the best in EPL. You are right on this.

Eduardo and Torres are outstanding imo. Yes they don't have the pace of Bellamy or Martins but I can bet you that they both dribbles faster than Bellamy and Martins. This is especially true for Torres.

I have watched over 30 matches for Real Madrid this season and to be honest Raul scored a lot because of Guti. Without Guti Raul will never bounce back, and that's the strongest argument why Raul shouldn't be picked. 

Owen is an exceptional case. He is simply brilliant. His scoring instinct is still probably the best in EPL. You are right on this.

Eduardo and Torres are outstanding imo. Yes they don't have the pace of Bellamy or Martins but I can bet you that they both dribbles faster than Bellamy and Martins. This is especially true for Torres.

I have watched over 30 matches for Real Madrid this season and to be honest Raul scored a lot because of Guti. Without Guti Raul will never bounce back, and that's the strongest argument why Raul shouldn't be picked. 

i'm talking about raul even in his prime of a few years ago.

torres can dribble fast...thats technique not pace.

So we know Mario is a physically imposing striker but what else?

What are his good points. Does he hold the ball up well and bring others into play? Is his touch good? His vision? Is his technique good? Dribbling?

Just because he is a big strong striker with pace does not automatically make him a grea player. Heskey had these attributes but he reall wasn't anything special.

Can you tell us a bit more about Gomez?

I'm glad you challenged me ;)

Counter No1

In case you hadn't noticed the standard of the Bundesliga is terrible. Not bad, not quite awful but terrible (barring 2 perhaps 3 teams). However, i do understand that it means he beat players such as Podolski, Klose etc which is commendable but winning Bundesliga player of the year does not automatically make you a great player.

On the same note, i'm not going to allow anyone to use the "well he's scored this many goals in this many games". The reason why this doesn't make you a great player is underlined by the failures of, Shevchenko, Kezman and Kuyt (as a goalscorer) in this league.

Counter No2

In your opinion, he's a better prospect than Modric but this sort of statement can only be built on opinion. However, i agree it would be in his best interests to join a club that is playing in europe but i will never accept that if he had to choose between us and Everton (example) he would choose Everton (only because their playin in the UEFA cup) especially when we have so many overriding qualities on them.

After all that i do want to point out i think he would be a very good addition to our squad and a success in this league. I'm just sick of hearing "we don't have the same attraction anymore" something i've been hearing for the last 4 years.   

1. Bundesliga is a mediocore league, which I agree, but that doesn't prevent their national team from being one of the best national team in the world. This is different. For example, I would believe "Berbatov will join Newcastle from Leverkusen after a few brilliant seasons" but not "Gomez, currently the best striker for Germany, will join Newcastle from Stuggart". Can you get the difference?

And to be honest, Gomez will not be sold before Euro08. At that time, unless he is injured, he will be a proven striker in Europe and the chance will be even slimmer. Of course I do hope he performs bad and we get a chance to sneak him but...sounds strange right?

2. I am also sick of those statements before but unfortunately it is right for this summer. We have no UEFA spot, we seems to have not much financial  backing from the chairman which I hope not, we have a tight wage bill, we have a bad reputation for changing managers frequently (Sam is shit doesn't mean players will appreciate frequent changes). We do have a reputable manager now but it is not enough.

Next summer probably we can restore our attraction again, but not this summer I reckon.

i'm talking about raul even in his prime of a few years ago.

torres can dribble fast...thats technique not pace.

When Raul is in his prime, which is before his injury, he is a lot faster.

A combination of both imo. You have to have a great acceleration before you can dribble fast.

What are his good points. Does he hold the ball up well and bring others into play? Is his touch good? His vision? Is his technique good? Dribbling?

Just because he is a big strong striker with pace does not automatically make him a grea player. Heskey had these attributes but he reall wasn't anything special.

going off what i've read (only seen him play once and he never stood out) he is the full package. technique,pace,strength. acn go alone and bring others in and feed off. good in the air and on the deck.

going off what i've read (only seen him play once and he never stood out) he is the full package. technique,pace,strength. acn go alone and bring others in and feed off. good in the air and on the deck.

Damn ... sounds like a fitter, faster and stronger Viduka.

Would be a dream come true for us.

I finally found the magazine which shown the comparison: Kicker.

A strange rating system, which 1 is the best, while 6 is the worst.

Gomez              Toni

Teachnique                      2.5                  2.5

Future                                1                    2 

Experience                        2.5                  2

Scoring Instinct                1.5                  1

Teamwork                        2.5                1.5

Importance                      1.5                1.5

Professionalism                1.5                  2

Pace                                  1                      2.5

Heading                            2                      2

Fitness                              2.5                    3

Overall                              18.5                20

I can see there is over hyping though.

I finally found the magazine which shown the comparison: Kicker.

A strange rating system, which 1 is the best, while 6 is the worst.

Gomez              Toni

Teachnique                       2.5                  2.5

Future                                1                     2 

Experience                        2.5                   2

Scoring Instinct                 1.5                   1

Teamwork                         2.5                 1.5

Importance                       1.5                 1.5

Professionalism                 1.5                   2

Pace                                  1                      2.5

Heading                             2                      2

Fitness                              2.5                    3

Overall                              18.5                 20

I can see there is over hyping though.

Interesting ...

Having watched him play though, what could you tell us about his style of play?

Interesting ...

Having watched him play though, what could you tell us about his style of play?

Complete package, but not Viduka's type. Instead of excellent at holding up ball, he is better at running into space and score.

I would say instead of Viduka, Gomez is an all-around version of Torres. A right footed pacy striker but not a traditional holding-up type striker.

Of course he is not currently better than Torres but he could be.

Do have little problems on injury though.

You think Elano has a higher profile just because he played a handful of decent games in England for City at the start of the season? Wow.

As for Petrov: He wasn't a regular at Atletico anymore when he left and they wanted to get rid of him as much as the player wanted to go. When we signed Luque, Deportivo had missed out on European football, while Newcastle had not and were willing to massively increase his wages. Totally different scenarios.

Of course there is nothing wrong with going to try to sign players like Gomez. I am all for this. All what I am saying is that the chances of signing these players are incredible slim. And in case of Gomez I am not basing this on some hypothetical scenario, but on direct quotes from the player about his future plans.

where do you live?  the english PL, whether you want to believe it or not, has a higher profile than the german bundesliga and spanish PL...ergo elano will get more exposure for his "handful" of decent games (jesus)

good insight on petrov, perhaps because of the lack of exposure i get to the spanish league (ahem) i still thought he was the pacy, tricky, quality left winger spurs were looking to pay 10m for and who turned to out to do a decent job in england in the end

your point about luque only backs me up - you really think a player would leave deportivo where he played in the CL semis and challenged for the spanish title simply 'cause they missed europe and we were in the uefa qualifying rounds?  get a grip man

Luque never wanted to come here. He's said as much.

Depor were up shit creek financially and when he sat down and had talks with Fat Fred he asked for an astronomical amount in the hope we'd say no. But this was Fat Fred and we didn't.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Stephen927

Smith would have scored there.

Smith wouldn't have been in the right position for it to be fair.

As disappointing as Gomis. Even if we've no chance of getting either, it'd have been nice to see them live up to their billing in any way, shape or form.

At least it will mean no clubs sign them based on their Euro performances alone, only those that have extensively scouted them will know the true quality.

And more disappointing than Gomis imo.

I'd still snap their hands off if we were offered him, it's not the first time a player has looked complete shit in a tournament. What matters is what he does week-in week-out at club level.