The Euro 2008 thread: Spain are European champions

madras
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

don't know if there's been one started.

any predictions,discussion etc about the championships in here.

particularly interested to hear from isegrim and parky about how the locals view germany's chances.

Portugal would be favorites if they had even one out-and-out striker capable of preforming on the international level, as opposed to the rotating bunch of white Ameobis they've got.

Spain have an excellent team on paper but they're notoriously good at bottling major tournaments, so I guess France for me.

Even though I'm not English I feel that it's a real shame that England didn't qualify. Would have been very interesting to see how the young talent we see every week in the Premiership (Young, Bentley, Richards etc.) performs on the international level.

On the bright side, at least Owen won't be breaking his leg again. (I distinctly remember screaming and chucking my remote at the television screen at 3am during England v. Sweden two years ago.)

Even though I'm not English I feel that it's a real shame that England didn't qualify. Would have been very interesting to see how the young talent we see every week in the Premiership (Young, Bentley, Richards etc.) performs on the international level.

On the bright side, at least Owen won't be breaking his leg again. (I distinctly remember screaming and chucking my remote at the television screen at 3am during England v. Sweden two years ago.)

we didn't deserve to get there and long term it was possibly a good thing.

Young and Bentley wouldnt have played

They were both called up and capped during the qualifying stages and Capello has had them in his squads. Surely based on recent form they'd be up for consideration if England was picking a team for Euros.

Guest alijmitchell

Italy or Germany to win it I think. Spain don't have the mentality for it, Portugal don't have the firepower, and I don't fancy France to do very well.

Germany, have the big tournament mentality, and key players, like Ballack are bang in form. Would love Spain to win it, but despite having a strong squad, I think they are a little unbalanced in certain areas, and weak defensively.

On paper the Dutch look very good. Might have a cheeky bet on them to win it

I think the dutch are much weaker than they look. A lot of their first team squad plays in the Dutch or German leagues, and remains unproven at the top level. They also lack any "flair" superstars that can really impose themselves on the game. (I suppose Van Persie being the closest thing...)

Similar problem with the Germans. A lot of their players are shit/unproven otuside of the Bundesliga, and some of their mainstays have been in shockingly bad form even within their domestic leagues lately.

They were both called up and capped during the qualifying stages and Capello has had them in his squads. Surely based on recent form they'd be up for consideration if England was picking a team for Euros.

I think Capello partly has them in his squads because of the fact we aren't at Euro 2008, so he is planning for the future. Bearing in mind that he wouldn't even be manager if we hadn't failed to qualify.

Yeah but if we qualified we'd have to put up with Steve McLaren's dodgy team selections, shite football and hideous gurning face.

At least this way Capello has a few months to mould the team, which will hopefully mean we stand a better chance in the world cup.

They always look good on paper...

but football is played on grass as the old saying goes.

but football is played on grass as the old saying goes.

True, but like the Spanish i'd never bet against them.

Sneijder, Robben, Van Persie, Huntelaar, Van Horseface, Van der Vaart, Babel - not bad!