The Euro 2008 thread: Spain are European champions

madras
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My favorites are Switzerland and Porugal. I also think Russia will go into the the semifinals at least.

I don't want Germany to win and I don't think they will win. Their squad this year is too young and unproved. Some key players are missing too. (Bernd Schneider is missing and was always one of their best players)

On paper the Dutch look very good. Might have a cheeky bet on them to win it

They always look good on paper...

but football is played on grass as the old saying goes.

On paper the Dutch look very good. Might have a cheeky bet on them to win it

They always look good on paper...

True, but like the Spanish i'd never bet against them.

Sneijder, Robben, Van Persie, Huntelaar, Van Horseface, Van der Vaart, Babel - not bad!

has drenthe pushed on to getting a regular place or has he burnt out ?

My favorites are Switzerland and Porugal. I also think Russia will go into the the semifinals at least.

I don't want Germany to win and I don't think they will win. Their squad this year is too young and unproved. Some key players are missing too. (Bernd Schneider is missing and was always one of their best players)

Switzerland  :frantic: really? A one man attack of Alexander Frei coupled with a back four headlined by Phillippe Senderos doesn't seem particularly frightening to me. They've got some decent players and are tactically very sound but to me they're just not good enough.

Good point about Russia though. Never bet against a Guus Hiddink team.

Are you joking? Switzerland?

Switzerland  :frantic: really? A one man attack of Alexander Frei coupled with a back four headlined by Phillippe Senderos doesn't seem particularly frightening to me. They've got some decent players and are tactically very sound but to me they're just not good enough.

The Euro is in Austria/Switzerland, so I think they can play better than normaly... think about Japan in 2002. Almost nobody said before that they would go through the group stage...

I fancy France, despite their group.

would need quite a turn round in form.

Undoubtedly, but they've got a lot of big-match players in there with massive experience (spine of Thuram, Vieira and Henry is extremely well-proven) as well as some really top-class players around them (some with youth as well.) To me, and I know this is just on paper, they seem to have the right ingredients to have a real go. Wouldn't be surprised to see an Italy/France final again.

I think they might just turn it on a bit.

Guest alex

Switzerland v Austria final :D

can't happen (i think) due to the way the draw has worked out.

I thought all combos could happen (not sure like) because the half of the draw you would go into is affected by whether you come 1st or 2nd. They're both shite like, which could get in the way.

Guest alex

The Euro is in Austria/Switzerland, so I think they can play better than normaly... think about Japan in 2002. Almost nobody said before that they would go through the group stage...

Japan didn't win the World Cup mate.

Japan didn't win the World Cup mate.

Aye, and they didn't even do better than the other co-host :snod:

I thought all combos could happen (not sure like) because the half of the draw you would go into is affected by whether you come 1st or 2nd. They're both s**** like, which could get in the way.

git your wall chart out.

I thought all combos could happen (not sure like) because the half of the draw you would go into is affected by whether you come 1st or 2nd. They're both s**** like, which could get in the way.

git your wall chart out.

Czech Republic, Switzerland, Turkey, Poland, Austria, Romania, Greece, Sweden are the only ones without a prayer really. Yeah, that's half the field but still it looks like a relatively wide open tourney

Guest alex

git your wall chart out.

You're reet, they can't meet (in the final).

git your wall chart out.

You're reet, they can't meet (in the final).

told you so,i'm in the know.

it's why i've backed germany (easiest group and hopefully czech rep in the quarters then lay them off for a guarnteed profit)

has drenthe pushed on to getting a regular place or has he burnt out ?

He hasn't made the squad.

looked so good a little while ago.like heitinga. starts so well then dies off (i know heitinga is still making the national squad but he doesn't look near to what he was a couple of years back)