Chris Mort's departure confirmed. Derek Llambias is new Managing Director.

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This is just the natural state of the forum. It's inevitable, really. And we all love it.

Then why can't the same thing happen to the Arda Turan thread then ??

I see ne5's truce with the board lasted long.

nowt wrong with saying Mort is no big miss is there ?

Neither's Freddy Shepherd but you don't hear me wittling on about it like an old woman.

didn't really want to do this, but all I've ever did is point out the Champions League positions, and the european qualifications, and only an old woman  ie like you would dismiss stone cold facts and kid yourself it never happened like you had Alzheimers

You can wittle on about any "opinion" you like but I'll stick with the facts if thats alright.

Back to the topic now ..........

Do we have a smillie for a slapped wrist  bluelaugh.gif

So that "I'm giving up rattling on about Freddy Shepherd 24/7" topic from the other day was just bullshit then?

I'm shocked.

no Dave.

I put the relevant dates forward earlier, and explained that even if there is some "disagreement" as to the representation of them, my main concern stems from the departing chairmans own comments as well as the actual missed transfer targets and the actions and comments of his 2 managers that have been here during his time in office.

I see ne5's truce with the board lasted long.

nowt wrong with saying Mort is no big miss is there ?

Neither's Freddy Shepherd but you don't hear me wittling on about it like an old woman.

didn't really want to do this, but all I've ever did is point out the Champions League positions, and the european qualifications, and only an old woman  ie like you would dismiss stone cold facts and kid yourself it never happened like you had Alzheimers

You can wittle on about any "opinion" you like but I'll stick with the facts if thats alright.

Back to the topic now ..........

Do we have a smillie for a slapped wrist  bluelaugh.gif

So that "I'm giving up rattling on about Freddy Shepherd 24/7" topic from the other day was just bullshit then?

I'm shocked.

Quite simply, Wullie lad, you mentioned him and asked about him.

I replied to you.

Simple eh ?

no Dave.

I put the relevant dates forward earlier, and explained that even if there is some "disagreement" as to the representation of them, my main concern stems from the departing chairmans own comments as well as the actual missed transfer targets and the actions and comments of his 2 managers that have been here during his time in office.

So you admit you were wrong when you blamed Mort and Ashley for missing out on Sidwell?

'Ashley - and Mort - had control of the club when Sidwell went to Chelsea' was what you said.

I know your overall point, I was merely pointing out the facts.

they stayed up. You are losing sight of what it takes to succeed now, a point which UV is making quite well in fact.

Please spell out for me where I said those words. 

Or, because you will fail to do so as I never said such a thing, please explain the logical mis-conclusions you reached through reading my one post that led you to the belief that I am losing sight of what it takes to succeed.

We are worlds apart as clubs when it comes to Sunderland.  You know that, I know that.  Comparing one summers worth of gross overspending on average players by the dog wanker to one summer where we didn't break the bank means nothing.  That was the entire poing I was making. 

no Dave.

So you admit you were wrong when you blamed Mort and Ashley for missing out on Sidwell?

'Ashley - and Mort - had control of the club when Sidwell went to Chelsea' was what you said.

I know your overall point, I was merely pointing out the facts.

howay Dave, just admit you love this  ;D

they stayed up. You are losing sight of what it takes to succeed now, a point which UV is making quite well in fact.

Please spell out for me where I said those words. 

Or, because you will fail to do so as I never said such a thing, please explain the logical mis-conclusions you reached through reading my one post that led you to the belief that I am losing sight of what it takes to succeed.

We are worlds apart as clubs when it comes to Sunderland.  You know that, I know that.  Comparing one summers worth of gross overspending on average players by the dog wanker to one summer where we didn't break the bank means nothing.  That was the entire poing I was making. 

we certainly aren't worlds apart from the mackems mate, no way.

No, you were already whining about Ashley and Mort before I said a word. Nice try though.

the thread is about Chris Mort, so I mentioned Chris Mort  bluelaugh.gif

Comprehend ?

No, you were already whining about Ashley and Mort before I said a word. Nice try though.

Comprehend ?

Yes, you think they're shit because they haven't qualified for the Champions League within one season and because they failed to sign a player you said was inadequate. We get it, you've mentioned it before.

Comprehend ?

Yes, you think they're shit because they haven't qualified for the Champions League within one season and because they failed to sign a player you said was inadequate. We get it, you've mentioned it before.

hypocrisy..............as UV said.

Lets take it as given Freddie Shep signed a few players. Morty boy has put a transfer policy on the manager ffs but no one says a word in fact it is positive for many. Not sure why he has got stick for transfer failings, if anyone is to blame at NUFC it would be Wise & Jimenez. He was the chairman that voted for game 39 & I will also hold that against him.  Overall he did a good job in a short space of time, although SHOCK HORROR a few/lot ideas came from the simplistic approach of listening to the customer.

Would be (sort of) hilarious if thanks to Mort's hard work behind the scenes prior to leaving, top players sign under the stewardship of Derek Llambias, and despite effectively being the same regime, the NE5 history books will note the shambolic failure of the Mort regime based on no-one of note joining the club.

We all think Llambias is going to get the chairmans job but Ashley has not yet replaced the Sports Direct Chairman who walked out on him about 11 months ago.

Mike has been busy in the last week: Mort out, Swiss bank Credit Suisse has stepped down as corporate broker at Sport Direct & Dunlop/Slazenger sign a deal with the LTA to be official equipment supplier.

which was the players that "Mort missed out of" then?

Sidwell.

Modric.

Woodgate.

You have 2 managers who have expressed dissatisfaction with the support given to them by officials at the club.

Allardyce complained of them not moving quick enough etc etc

Keegan made the comments he made 2 weeks ago

Still, you know best

NE5 didn't sidwell sign for chelski very early last summer, before the club had even changed hands?

anyways a wider point here i think you seem to sidestep is, in my opinion, mort was never brought in to be the type of chairman you expect him to be - and that's not a dig, what i mean is the historic english chairman who does all the transfer deals you know?

personally i reckon ashley has identified that in the past people brokering the deals in football were lacking expertise in both football and legal/negotiating/financial matters and he's brought in a team he believes will benefit the club to take care of all that

i think they've been intentionally cautious in the market as part of this overall strategy - i mean i'm actually glad they didn't come in gung-ho 'cause if they'd let fat sam blow 50m i think we'd all be a lot unhappier now?

anyway all that said i can forgive a period of cooling off as they surveyed what was around them, i can forgive it no more; it's time to stop the headlines about boardroom appointments and joey bartons gaol time and start the headlines about players

SHOW ME THE MONEY MIKE!!!!!

Sidwell joined Chelsea on 1 July 2007 following the expiry of his contract with Reading

On June 7, 2007 it was confirmed that chairman Freddy Shepherd had agreed to sell his 28% share to Ashley, which left Ashley free to take control of the club.[17]

As of June 15, 2007, Ashley owned a 77.06% stake in Newcastle United and was on course to withdraw the club from the stock exchange having surpassed the 75% threshold required.[18]

both statements taken from wikipedia

whatever the impact or otherwise of these dates [which shows the Ashley - and Mort - had control of the club when Sidwell went to Chelsea] its the comments from Mort which are more alarming to me. Allardyce complained about them not understanding how things work in football, so has Keegan the other week.

I've always said that the first thing you want from a chairman is the desire to punch the clubs weight. It doesn't matter how nice a bloke he may be, if they don't do that they are a waste of time.

Hope Mort does OK as he seems like a nice bloke but I'm not bothered he's left the club. If his successor is the same, then its Ashley's desire to run the club like a tight ship, and believe me, unless you compete with the big boys you won't get in amongst them. This is obvious, and is so obvious I just don't understand how people keep making excuses.

We will find out soon enough.

You can make good decisions and bad decisons, but if you have to atttempt it. If you don't buy a ticket you don't win the raffle.

other people have pulled the sidwell facts, and isn't it accepted knowledge that we offered more in fees and wages for modric than spurs?  woodgate was a last minute job wasn't it and he'd already agreed to go to spurs?  i stand to be corrected on the second two mind

anyway back to point, i think you've made my point for me "I've always said that the first thing you want from a chairman is the desire to punch the clubs weight." - because you say it doesn't make it true, you've made the role of chairman at NUFC that of punching the clubs weight in the transfer market, it might not be part of his remit under ashley in reality

it's perfectly clear to me why mort was brought in and it wasn't to go out and broker deals to bring the best players in the world to SJP so i can't understand your criticism of him i guess...i'll guarantee if you got an audience with ashley he'd tell you the guy did exactly what he was brought in to do

your criticism of him is almost like me criticing beye for not scoring double figures - it's not strictly speaking in his job description but i've decided he should be doing it so why isn't he? (petty i know dude)

which was the players that "Mort missed out of" then?

Sidwell.

Modric.

Woodgate.

You have 2 managers who have expressed dissatisfaction with the support given to them by officials at the club.

Allardyce complained of them not moving quick enough etc etc

Keegan made the comments he made 2 weeks ago

Still, you know best

NE5 didn't sidwell sign for chelski very early last summer, before the club had even changed hands?

anyways a wider point here i think you seem to sidestep is, in my opinion, mort was never brought in to be the type of chairman you expect him to be - and that's not a dig, what i mean is the historic english chairman who does all the transfer deals you know?

personally i reckon ashley has identified that in the past people brokering the deals in football were lacking expertise in both football and legal/negotiating/financial matters and he's brought in a team he believes will benefit the club to take care of all that

i think they've been intentionally cautious in the market as part of this overall strategy - i mean i'm actually glad they didn't come in gung-ho 'cause if they'd let fat sam blow 50m i think we'd all be a lot unhappier now?

anyway all that said i can forgive a period of cooling off as they surveyed what was around them, i can forgive it no more; it's time to stop the headlines about boardroom appointments and joey bartons gaol time and start the headlines about players

SHOW ME THE MONEY MIKE!!!!!

Sidwell joined Chelsea on 1 July 2007 following the expiry of his contract with Reading

On June 7, 2007 it was confirmed that chairman Freddy Shepherd had agreed to sell his 28% share to Ashley, which left Ashley free to take control of the club.[17]

As of June 15, 2007, Ashley owned a 77.06% stake in Newcastle United and was on course to withdraw the club from the stock exchange having surpassed the 75% threshold required.[18]

both statements taken from wikipedia

whatever the impact or otherwise of these dates [which shows the Ashley - and Mort - had control of the club when Sidwell went to Chelsea] its the comments from Mort which are more alarming to me. Allardyce complained about them not understanding how things work in football, so has Keegan the other week.

I've always said that the first thing you want from a chairman is the desire to punch the clubs weight. It doesn't matter how nice a bloke he may be, if they don't do that they are a waste of time.

Hope Mort does OK as he seems like a nice bloke but I'm not bothered he's left the club. If his successor is the same, then its Ashley's desire to run the club like a tight ship, and believe me, unless you compete with the big boys you won't get in amongst them. This is obvious, and is so obvious I just don't understand how people keep making excuses.

We will find out soon enough.

You can make good decisions and bad decisons, but if you have to atttempt it. If you don't buy a ticket you don't win the raffle.

other people have pulled the sidwell facts, and isn't it accepted knowledge that we offered more in fees and wages for modric than spurs?  woodgate was a last minute job wasn't it and he'd already agreed to go to spurs?  i stand to be corrected on the second two mind

anyway back to point, i think you've made my point for me "I've always said that the first thing you want from a chairman is the desire to punch the clubs weight." - because you say it doesn't make it true, you've made the role of chairman at NUFC that of punching the clubs weight in the transfer market, it might not be part of his remit under ashley in reality

it's perfectly clear to me why mort was brought in and it wasn't to go out and broker deals to bring the best players in the world to SJP so i can't understand your criticism of him i guess...i'll guarantee if you got an audience with ashley he'd tell you the guy did exactly what he was brought in to do

your criticism of him is almost like me criticing beye for not scoring double figures - it's not strictly speaking in his job description but i've decided he should be doing it so why isn't he? (petty i know dude)

I see your point. Fair comment. Its a slight play on the word "chairman" again, which in this case, I've done myself too. We all know that Ashley is the owner and so the chairman will do his bidding for him, so it is maybe wrong to say "Mort". This means that if Mort has done what Ashley wanted, then his replacement will also do the same ?

Agreed ?

It therefore follows that if this theory is correct, nothing will change under the new chairman, whoever it is ?

So whoever the new chairman is, Ashley will have to raise his game, if this theory is correct. He will have to learn that some of the comments made by Mort [on behalf of Ashley] are not ones which a progressive football club should be making, nor is it a path they should be following. I don't agree that the chairman should be saying in November that we won't be making signings in January unless they are young players for the future, when the team aren't doing too well. We were incredibly fortunate Keegan found a way to keep Owen fit, and a system to play him, Martins and Viduka or we would have been in serious relegation trouble.

And it also follows that if the new chairman is given a different role to one that Mort had, what was Ashley doing by not giving Mort the same power he may give the new man ? This has not been fair to Mort if this is the case ?

We will see.

NE5 have you worked out the difference between what people say and do. yes mort said that but the only player we know they  actually went for (woodgate) doesn't really fit into that does it ?

sometimes people put far too much into interviews, disecting each sentence and making out they are hard and fast rules.