Chris Mort's departure confirmed. Derek Llambias is new Managing Director.

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

They got at least one thing wrong, he wasn't paid by the hour as he had a 12 month salaried contract reported to be worth £1 million.  Mort was on roughly a third of what Smith earned yet scored the same number of goals and was only about 2 shots on target behind him.

No comments on the fact that the new chairman gets twice as much as the old chairman got criticised for taking despite presiding over the club's worst season in the premiership, sacking a manager mid season without a replacement lined up, and failing to land any of the new manager's transfer targets (all things the old chairman would surely have been crucified for)?

So what happens when the first manager you approach knocks you back and tells his mates in the press about it? The current manager is left in an untenable position, knowing he could be replaced at any time. The club would (rightly) be a laughing stock and a source of constant speculation.

Precisely - take a look at wahts happening at Man City, i for one would hate that to be happening to us. I actually have very little issue with the appoinment process, including timings of sacking etc, my only concern at the time was that they appointed keegan, they seem to have vindicated that decsion for the time being so i cant really complain.

They got at least one thing wrong, he wasn't paid by the hour as he had a 12 month salaried contract reported to be worth £1 million.  Mort was on roughly a third of what Smith earned yet scored the same number of goals and was only about 2 shots on target behind him.

No comments on the fact that the new chairman gets twice as much as the old chairman got criticised for taking despite presiding over the club's worst season in the premiership, sacking a manager mid season without a replacement lined up, and failing to land any of the new manager's transfer targets (all things the old chairman would surely have been crucified for)?

So what happens when the first manager you approach knocks you back and tells his mates in the press about it? The current manager is left in an untenable position, knowing he could be replaced at any time. The club would (rightly) be a laughing stock and a source of constant speculation.

I'm not criticising any of those points myself per se (apart from the multiple failures in the transfer market), just pointing out the double standards of others who have criticised precisely these things in the past.

The toughest job for any kind of manager is to clean up someone else's mess.  Not only did he do that but it looks like he also rebuilt the foundation for the club for the foreseeable future.  Kudos to Chris Mort on a job well done.

I have to say, I fail to see what messes have been cleared up by Mort's chairmanship (as opposed to Ashley's cash). Theres a different structure at the top filled with jobs for the boys appointments so a few roles at the club have higher profiles than they used to, but we've yet to see whether these changes will be a help or a hindrance to the manager.

IMO the sooner we have a more permanent chairman in the better.

I think he done a decent job even if the club is only up one place in the league to what he found it.

I think a lot of the changes he's made at the club will become more noticeable over the next few years, bringing Keegan back was a risk that could have easily backfired but the majority of fans seem happy he's here now and see him as the man to move the club forward on the pitch, he's brought in someone to set up a scouting network to rival the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea which can only be beneficial to the club, he's also made moves to improve our youth academy which again we won't see for a few years.

Even small things like sitting down with fans and asking their opinion on how the club can go about making the matchday experience better for them shouldn't be ignored, apparently there's going to be a singing section introduced next season which will be a massive boost to what usually has been a shit atmosphere at SJP, allowing fans to pay for their season ticket over the past season with cup games thrown in free was a good idea as was allowing kids to purchase half season tickets for £25 which will hopefully introduce the next generation of fans to NUFC.

The downside has been missing out on Modric who I thought could have been a big player for us, I don't really blame him for Woodgate because as Keegan said we were trying to hijack the deal rather than ever being a serious contender to sign him, altogether though I think he's done a decent job and put down some good foundations for the club to use over the next few years.

Good luck to him in the future. O0

I'm not criticising any of those points myself per se (apart from the multiple failures in the transfer market), just pointing out the double standards of others who have criticised precisely these things in the past.

I think it's one of those things people will kick up about if it doesn't come off but will easily forget about if it does work out.

Bobby Robson being the perfect example of that.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Looks like I'm not the only one who's Mortified by this news, no pun intended. Has a new chairman been appointed already?

Most of those can be blamed on the appointment of the previous managers by the previous chairman though. Unless you want to blame Mort for the poor state Souness/Roeder/Allardyce left the club in?

not so bad as you make out. 2 years ago we were in the UEFA Cup, hardly a disaster. Anyway, we haven't landed some major players that both Allardyce and Keegan wanted. My feeling about Mort is he is too prudent and too conservative to run a football club the size of Newcastle United. Do you think that Keegans comments that brought about that meeting, were the result of his feelings about this, and do you not think that, whether he had a contract or not, this meeting has contributed to this announcement ?

Looks like I'm not the only one who's Mortified by this news, no pun intended. Has a new chairman been appointed already?

:nope: bet you've been dying to use that.

Most of those can be blamed on the appointment of the previous managers by the previous chairman though. Unless you want to blame Mort for the poor state Souness/Roeder/Allardyce left the club in?

not so bad as you make out. 2 years ago we were in the UEFA Cup, hardly a disaster. Anyway, we haven't landed some major players that both Allardyce and Keegan wanted. My feeling about Mort is he is too prudent and too conservative to run a football club the size of Newcastle United. Do you think that Keegans comments that brought about that meeting, were the result of his feelings about this, and do you not think that, whether he had a contract or not, this meeting has contributed to this announcement ?

I thought he was just Ashleys mouthpiece? Also what about the bids for Modric - we offered more how is that prudent? It undermines your entire argumetn and the rest of it is supposition.

The toughest job for any kind of manager is to clean up someone else's mess.  Not only did he do that but it looks like he also rebuilt the foundation for the club for the foreseeable future.  Kudos to Chris Mort on a job well done.

I have to say, I fail to see what messes have been cleared up by Mort's chairmanship (as opposed to Ashley's cash). Theres a different structure at the top filled with jobs for the boys appointments so a few roles at the club have higher profiles than they used to, but we've yet to see whether these changes will be a help or a hindrance to the manager.

IMO the sooner we have a more permanent chairman in the better.

Agreed, I only hope he understands how to succeed at football.

Mort was probably only here for Ashley's first season at the club, to help him find his feet . Seems like a great bloke, was funny seeing the video and pics of him in the clubs etc around the toon aswell, so he clearly enjoyed his time here, all the best.

Guest fraser

There isn't an option for: he did a good job here putting into place the owner's vision. Whether the owner's vision is the best one for the club, time will tell.

Seemed a well-motivated and personable chap, of high integrity who limited his self-interest to his salary.

Can't be accused of overstaying his welcome, at least.

Guest Knightrider

Mort was never really the chairman anyway, he just took on that overall role and did it very well too in my opinion, all things considered. He was brought in to legalise the club's accounts so to speak and get rid of very very nasty cobwebs left over by the old regime more than anything. He's obviously done that and while I won't go into details, I'm very thankful he has because this club was on the verge of a scandal or two which via Mort's expertise and experience, was avoided. There are very good reasons why FS and Co got barred from SJP and why the polis were sniffing around, not to mention why SJH was itching to get away, it was all going to collapse. When Mort spoke about financial ruin I believe that was a metaphor for something else...

I suppose you'll now put the records of our last two chairman’s first 12 months in a post so that we can compare them side by side.

Guest Knightrider

Worst season? Your opinion. My worst season was going from 2nd to 13th and losing the FA Cup Final.

Salary? Mort's wages are derived from Mike Ashley's pockets, no-one elses.

The old chairman was crucified for making mistakes, but in his first few years in control, got off quite lightly given he called our women dogs and us fans mugs on his way from taking us from number 2 in the country to mid-table which is a position we've stayed at ever since on average, while embarrassing himself and our club in a brothel to some cockney reporter that kind of gave birth to almost 10 years of downright bad press for this club thereafter which still goes on today. Mort on the other hand hasn't embarrassed anyone and has done a steady decent job in what was a caretaker kind role, brought in to clean up the mess of the previous mob.

Not that you don't recognise all this, you just want to stir the shite and attempt some petty tit for tat crap, quite sad really. Judge Mort not by previous chairman, but on what he has and hasn't done himself.

Mort was never really the chairman anyway, he just took on that overall role and did it very well too in my opinion, all things considered. He was brought in to legalise the club's accounts so to speak and get rid of very very nasty cobwebs left over by the old regime more than anything. He's obviously done that and while I won't go into details, I'm very thankful he has because this club was on the verge of a scandal or two which via Mort's expertise and experience, was avoided. There are very good reasons why FS and Co got barred from SJP and why the polis were sniffing around, not to mention why SJH was itching to get away, it was all going to collapse. When Mort spoke about financial ruin I believe that was a metaphor for something else...

Thats quite a substantial claim there. What are you basing this on? I thought Shep was banned because of the warehouse thing and that the police confirmed we got raided becasue we were victims not the perps. Its not like any of the old regime have been linked with the police dealings since.

Guest shearer_united

Does anyone know the REAL reason as to why he wants to leave the club - surely its not just to go back to london.

Does anyone know the REAL reason as to why he wants to leave the club - surely its not just to go back to london.

Why? That's his proper job and where his family are. His contract's up so he's done his job. Don't conjure up conspiracy theories, the press will do that for us.

Thats quite a substantial claim there. What are you basing this on? I thought Shep was banned because of the warehouse thing and that the police confirmed we got raided becasue we were victims not the perps. Its not like any of the old regime have been linked with the police dealings since.

So HTT are you going to expand on what you said or just leave us hanging there ?

Guest Alan Shearer 9

My mate's dad is good mates with a guy who's mates with someone who works for the club, and he said that Mort couldn't stand KEGGANS LIES!!!"!"!!

My mate's dad is good mates with a guy who's mates with someone who works for the club, and he said that Mort couldn't stand KEGGANS LIES!!!"!"!!

Wow that's some ITK credentials there !

Why? That's his proper job and where his family are. His contract's up so he's done his job. Don't conjure up conspiracy theories, the press will do that for us.

Exactly what I was afraid of. The club still hasn't responded to the news and now it's beginning to seem a bit weird. Already people on here are speculating. The papers tomorrow will be unbearable.