Toronto wants Ameobi

Kaizero

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_3593921,00.html

Former Newcastle coach John Carver has admitted he would love to bring Newcastle striker Shola Ameobi to Toronto FC.

Carver, who worked as Sir Bobby Robson's first-team coach at St James' Park, has been in charge of the Major League Soccer side since February.

He is searching for a new forward and has set his sights on the player he helped to bring through the Academy ranks on Tyneside.

"I need some firepower up front and I am looking for new players, especially a striker," Carver explained.

"I have got my side organised now and have made Toronto difficult to beat, but

I need to sign players in that area.

"Shola is a kid I brought through the system at Newcastle United, and a kid I know an awful lot about.

"If I can get Shola into this football club he would be a huge, huge asset for us."

Ameobi fell down the pecking order at Newcastle under Kevin Keegan and ended the season on loan at Stoke.

He could now decide to cross the Atlantic and join a Toronto side that already includes former Magpie Laurent Robert.

Robert praise

Carver has been impressed by the Frenchman, adding: "Newcastle fans know what Robert's ability is about.

"From what I have seen in the short space of time he has been here, he has some desire back.

"He has had a couple of wayward years and he actually seems to want to prove a point.

"He's not here on holiday, he's working hard and he's a great professional."

We still have the so called "designated player" position open. I think Toronto could afford him. I would love to see him here, personally. Actually, I'll take all the washed up Newcastle players!

He would do well in the MLS, no doubt, and would fit well into Toronto's system.

Would be a good sign that the mls is actually an attractive option and alternative to england, spain or italy. think he would do very well over here, i dont think he will harm himself by coming over his stock is already low, a confidence building year amoungst a few familiar faces and fans that would idolise him over here could easily propel him back into a mid/lower premier team later on.

If Toronto come back in for him towards the end of August they could snap him up for around £1 million because he's no good to us and will be available on a free in 12 months.

Surely they cant afford him? wages might not be a problem but the transfer fee surely would! did they win again tonight? they have been looking good under carver.

I doubt it. What salary is Shola on here? 20k+ a week?

this is the salaries Toronto players on in Dollars (from a Toronto FC forum)

Robert Laurent M 319,800.00

Robinson Carl M 315,000.00

Guevara Amado M 260,000.00

Cunningham Jeffrey F 245,000.00

Brennan Jim D 157,500.00

Dichio Daniel F 157,500.00

Marshall Tyrone D 150,000.00

Sutton Greg GK 150,000.00

Tebily Oliver D 150,000.00

Ricketts Rohan M 150,000.00

Dunivant Todd D 104,737.50

Edu Maurice M 75,000.00

Harmse Kevin M 72,000.00

Velez Marco D 60,000.00

Wynne Marvell D 47,500.00

Edwards Brian GK 36,000.00

James Julius D 36,000.00

Phelan Pat M-D 33,000.00

Total 2,519,037.50

Why do Americans refer to clubs as singular when we refer to them as a group?

'Wants' my arse.

They speak American English. From a technical standpoint, they're probably right, tbh.

Why do Americans refer to clubs as singular when we refer to them as a group?

'Wants' my arse.

I've wondered the same but in reverse  ;D

I think it's because we can look at the club as both singular or plural.  Most clubs are commonly referred to by their nickname, more so than the city so it depends on how the club is referred to that defines how the verb is handled.  For instance:

New York wants blah blah

The Mets want blah blah

I'm no english major but I think you guys always see it the same while we Americans will vary depending on if the name is pluralized or not.

Guest Stephen927

He'd risk being forgotten about in England, especially the Premiership if that's where he wants to be, if he moved to MLS.

If he got homesick down in Stoke, I can't see him lasting in Toronto.

Guest Heneage

He'd risk being forgotten about in England, especially the Premiership if that's where he wants to be, if he moved to MLS.

If he got homesick down in Stoke, I can't see him lasting in Toronto.

Well he has Boro thats it. Unless he fancies Gateshead Darlo Harltepool or Benfield.

f***ing hell if Carvers looking at getting in all ex players then they'll have to change their name to Torontoon!

Buy Smith while you're at it Carver please!

You had me all the way with that first part.

Alan Smith? No thank you.

With Carver there, it seems like an ideal opportunity to set up a link between the two clubs. Somewhere to offload the likes of Ameobi, Duff, Smith etc aswell as a place to send some of the kids such as Edgar to get experience.

With Carver there, it seems like an ideal opportunity to set up a link between the two clubs. Somewhere to offload the likes of Ameobi, Duff, Smith etc aswell as a place to send some of the kids such as Edgar to get experience.

I doubt that Keegan and Wise would want their young players playing on the artificial turf day in and day out.

As for the money issue, every MLS team has a "designated player" slot that falls outside of the salary cap, and I beleive that the league pays part of the salary while the club pays the other part. All the players are actually paid by the league, if I remember correctly.

TFC sells out every game and pushes a lot of merchandise. They could probably afford to offer Ameobi competitive wages. I doubt that anybody will offer him what he's making at Newcastle, though.