What are our player acquisition people actually doing?

Guest Brazilianbob

Guest Brazilianbob

Brazilianbob strikes again

Really constructive stuff this.  What an inspiration to us all!  Bravo!

If you don't like a topic don't comment unless you have a worthwhile contribution to make. 

It's not difficult and is what I do, which is probably why I hardly ever post these days considering some of the purile drivel I read.

Most of you are incapable of having a debate without it developing into a slanging match.  I challenge you to find a topic on this board that hasn't degenerated into a personal attack at some stage or other.

This board and its forerunners used to have some really sensible posters who could debate subjects sensibly.  I mention Dr Gloom as one, but that was way back in the year 2000/2001.  He clearly got fed up with the insults and left, probably a wise choice.

Guest Stephen927

If he's signed for Wolves, I would guess our scouting team didn't feel he was up to much at the moment. I haven't seen much of the player, so I can't really comment.

If you don't like a topic don't comment unless you have a worthwhile contribution to make. 

It's not difficult and is what I do, which is probably why I hardly ever post these days considering some of the purile drivel I read.

Most of you are incapable of having a debate without it developing into a slanging match.  I challenge you to find a topic on this board that hasn't degenerated into a personal attack at some stage or other.

This board and its forerunners used to have some really sensible posters who could debate subjects sensibly.  I mention Dr Gloom as one, but that was way back in the year 2000/2001.  He clearly got fed up with the insults and left, probably a wise choice.

Bah I've been around as long as that and its always been like this, part of the craic. I don't expect any signings for a few weeks yet. Our scouts have been out and about, just relax a bit and eventually something will happen. :)

Guest Brazilianbob

I didn't say I was expecting signings before the transfer window opened.  The evidence was that Wise was very very keen to get Vokes on board.  So why do we suddenly find he has signed for Wolves.  This is all basic PR stuff.  If we didn't want to pay what his agent wanted, fine just say so!  But to let it look like Wolves stole a march on us isn't what I expect to see, and must surely undermine future negotiations with other young prospects we want to sign.

I didn't say I was expecting signings before the transfer window opened.  The evidence was that Wise was very very keen to get Vokes on board.  So why do we suddenly find he has signed for Wolves.  This is all basic PR stuff.  If we didn't want to pay what his agent wanted, fine just say so!  But to let it look like Wolves stole a march on us isn't what I expect to see, and must surely undermine future negotiations with other young prospects we want to sign.

Wise doesn't make the signings.

Guest Brazilianbob

Bah I've been around as long as that and its always been like this, part of the craic. I don't expect any signings for a few weeks yet. Our scouts have been out and about, just relax a bit and eventually something will happen. :)

Is that supposed to impress me?  If you have been around that long, why have you changed your username? I don't recall seeing your current "handle" on any of the previous boards.  What were you known as in your previous existence(s).

on a wider point than vokes, bobs right - the modric move suggested to me we had targets and would move for them quickly in order to not lose out

i'm not being at all alarmist but what the fuck is stopping us like?  people have mentioned the papers, well i've always wondered what all this bullshit like "club X is preparing a bid for player X" and that, how hard is it to prepare a bid? 

"hello, galatasary?  yeah we'd like turan, 18m you say?  hm, how about 10m?"  repeat til fee agreed then meet player and start again

our powder can never have been drier...and someone mentioned earlier keegan said "everyone" is on holiday for a few weeks - if dennis bastard wise can take time to go and see chelski in moscow the stunted little fucker can take time with his other cohorts to sign some players

if the club don't know who they're going after or what we're willing to pay for targets now somethings wrong, if they don't know who we're going after something is very wrong indeed

there's such a thing as playing the transfer market but i'd ask anyone to point me to an example of when playing it cool and waiting SAVED the club money, and that's the only reason i could accept for us not to be moving fast

Is that supposed to impress me?  If you have been around that long, why have you changed your username? I don't recall seeing your current "handle" on any of the previous boards.  What were you known as in your previous existence(s).

Been round since nufc.nu

Dunno if you were one of the toontastic bunch like.

Gone under several names:

Number 23, Worksop Mag, Leeds Mag and now SpinS.

Not that it matters like.

Guest Sniffer

Maybe the mood will change after the first signing, but at this time I see no reason to think that next season will be any different to last season.

From top to bottom we still seem to be one step from imploding yet again. It's like just waiting for it to happen because you know it will. It's just a case of when.

Maybe the mood will change after the first signing, but at this time I see no reason to think that next season will be any different to last season.

From top to bottom we still seem to be one step from imploding yet again. It's like just waiting for it to happen because you know it will. It's just a case of when.

I see what you mean, this summer is going to be incredibly important and could help make or break the next 2 years for us........I hope Ashley spends some serious cash correctly....can't be arsed with another mediocre season, gets so depressing

Guest Daishi

if dennis b****** wise can take time to go and see chelski in moscow the stunted little f***r can take time with his other cohorts to sign some players

Gee.  Maybe he's on, you know, like his six weeks summer holidays, and decided to go and watch a team he used to play for in one of the most prestigious matches of the season.

Did we see lots of Republic of Ireland supporters complain when Bobby Robson was at St James regularly?  I can assure you it wasn't to track the progress of Stephen Carr for the national team.

I'm assuming you were watching the match to know he was there? Presumably on time off from work? Should you not have been preparing for the next fiscal year at wherever you are employed?  Bah.

if dennis b****** wise can take time to go and see chelski in moscow the stunted little f***r can take time with his other cohorts to sign some players

Gee.  Maybe he's on, you know, like his six weeks summer holidays, and decided to go and watch a team he used to play for in one of the most prestigious matches of the season.

Did we see lots of Republic of Ireland supporters complain when Bobby Robson was at St James regularly?  I can assure you it wasn't to track the progress of Stephen Carr for the national team.

I'm assuming you were watching the match to know he was there? Presumably on time off from work? Should you not have been preparing for the next fiscal year at wherever you are employed?  Bah.

nice bit of taking something out of context there pal, the point was we employed these people in january and it's not like we've been making them solder circuit boards for 18 hours a day is it?

his job is to scout players for the club, am i wrong?  who the fuck would he be scouting in that game we don't know anything about?  no-one

were there any other games in the world he could have been at watching players for us?  i've not researched it but i'm guessing yes

when he's done something positive for the club, well anything actually would be a start, i'll be able to accept holidays to watch his beloved chelski...we pay his fucken wages now, his loyalty should be with us

(when i refer to wise i refer to all of the scouting staff by the way)

So was there some other game on that night that he should have been watching?

Seems a bit of a daft complaint – that one of our directors shouldn't put in an appearance at one of the major events on the football calendar. And who knows who he met/talked to on the trip. Or, indeed, what he's doing the rest of the time?

Scraping the barrel for something to whine about here, tbh.

Seems a bit of a daft complaint that one of our directors shouldn't put in an appearance at one of the major events on the football calendar. And who knows who he met/talked to on the trip. Or, indeed, what he's doing the rest of the time?

fux sake, i refer youback  to "(when i refer to wise i refer to all of the scouting staff by the way)"

what i'm saying is ostensibly it seems to me they've done sweet fuck all since being employed on very generous wages...go back to the post that wasn't out of context - it was about them being on holiday, fuck them being on any type of holiday til they've done some type of job for the club

NOW is the time fo these people to be earning their wages, not being on holiday - it's not that hard a concept to grasp is it?  but then i suppose since employing so-called experts in their field we can make the same mistake of sitting back doing nothing til the window opens by which time EVERYONE is looking at the same players...far be it from me to think these people might actually think making early moves might have some benefit to their employers

[i always get tripped up by this on here, you have to spoonfeed people every facet of your opinion otherwise they can't understand it, no-one seems able to make a leap]

p.s. that's an excellent point about the CL final, i agree, who knows who wise met and spoke to?  so lets see that as a positive then, i agree

Seems a bit of a daft complaint – that one of our directors shouldn't put in an appearance at one of the major events on the football calendar. And who knows who he met/talked to on the trip. Or, indeed, what he's doing the rest of the time?

fux sake, i refer youback  to "(when i refer to wise i refer to all of the scouting staff by the way)"

what i'm saying is ostensibly it seems to me they've done sweet fuck all since being employed on very generous wages...go back to the post that wasn't out of context - it was about them being on holiday, fuck them being on any type of holiday til they've done some type of job for the club

NOW is the time fo these people to be earning their wages, not being on holiday - it's not that hard a concept to grasp is it?  but then i suppose since employing so-called experts in their field we can make the same mistake of sitting back doing nothing til the window opens by which time EVERYONE is looking at the same players...far be it from me to think these people might actually think making early moves might have some benefit to their employers

[i always get tripped up by this on here, you have to spoonfeed people every facet of your opinion otherwise they can't understand it, no-one seems able to make a leap]

p.s. that's an excellent point about the CL final, i agree, who knows who wise met and spoke to?  so lets see that as a positive then, i agree

Maybe they have 10 superstars just waiting to sign and they will do so when the transfer window opens?

Guest Daishi

We haven't signed anyone? 

Nor has anyone else.  A few clubs have agreed to sign players once the transfer window opens in 4 weeks, but that number is very small. 

Not having an insight into the working operations of our annoying little gnome of a Director (football) or whatever he has stencilled on the door of whatever toadstool he is using as an office, i'm unaware of how much work he (and indeed the rest of the scouting team) have or have not put into making enquiries about players.

We know that we were in for Modric, and Spurs beat us to his agreement to sign, but other than that, there's very little concrete information about anyone. 

I'm also hoping that we get a little more transfer action this summer than we have seen recently, but you can't honestly expect that every hour of every day is devoted to transfers?

Let's play along, and take a look into the possibilities of where he could have been on that night?

<results from skysports.com>

20 May 08 - Tues 
Turkey		1 - 0	Slovakia
Scotland U21	1 - 4	Norway U21
Dundalk		0 - 0	Longford Town
Limerick F.C.	1 - 3	Sporting Fingal
Shelbourne	2 - 0	Monaghan Utd
Waterford	1 - 1	Athlone Town

21 May 08 - Wed 
Manchester United	1 - 1	Chelsea
Man Utd win 6-5 on penalties

22 May 08 - Thu 
Ivory Coast	1 - 1	Paraguay
Dundee United	0 - 1	Celtic
Aberdeen		2 - 0	Rangers
Hibernian		0 - 2	Motherwell

Hmm, there's no other match that night.  Maybe Tony Jiminez was at the Ivory Coast match the following day. I'm not sure, i didn't catch it, but there's not a huge amount of other matches taking place.

Maybe Wise was discussing the transfer of SWP to newcastle over a stolichnoya with Abramovich in a nice restaurant before the Champs League Final.  Maybe he was discussing the purchase of Christopher Eagles from Man Utd. We don't know.

Until we see who we've bought, who we've gone in for, and who we've missed out on, I'll reserve judgement on whether he could have spent 3 hours on a wednesday night in a better fashion for the benefit of our club.

Nor has anyone else.  A few clubs have agreed to sign players once the transfer window opens in 4 weeks, but that number is very small. 

Not having an insight into the working operations of our annoying little gnome of a Director (football) or whatever he has stencilled on the door of whatever toadstool he is using as an office, i'm unaware of how much work he (and indeed the rest of the scouting team) have or have not put into making enquiries about players.

We know that we were in for Modric, and Spurs beat us to his agreement to sign, but other than that, there's very little concrete information about anyone. 

I'm also hoping that we get a little more transfer action this summer than we have seen recently, but you can't honestly expect that every hour of every day is devoted to transfers?

Let's play along, and take a look into the possibilities of where he could have been on that night?

20 May 08 - Tues 
Turkey		1 - 0	Slovakia

21 May 08 - Wed 

22 May 08 - Thu 
Aberdeen		2 - 0	Rangers

Hmm, there's no other match that night.  Maybe Tony Jiminez was at the Ivory Coast match the following day. I'm not sure, i didn't catch it, but there's not a huge amount of other matches taking place.

Maybe Wise was discussing the transfer of SWP to newcastle over a stolichnoya with Abramovich in a nice restaurant before the Champs League Final.  Maybe he was discussing the purchase of Christopher Eagles from Man Utd. We don't know.

Until we see who we've bought, who we've gone in for, and who we've missed out on, I'll reserve judgement on whether he could have spent 3 hours on a wednesday night in a better fashion for the benefit of our club.

Oh dear ... another ITK wannabe.

SWP and Chris Eagles is it? Yeah, yeah believe it when I see it pal.

Seems a bit of a daft complaint that one of our directors shouldn't put in an appearance at one of the major events on the football calendar. And who knows who he met/talked to on the trip. Or, indeed, what he's doing the rest of the time?

You haven't a clue what these people are doing, or not doing, so why get your knickers in a twist about a series of unfounded assumptions?

20 May 08 - Tues 
Turkey		1 - 0	Slovakia

21 May 08 - Wed 

22 May 08 - Thu 
Aberdeen		2 - 0	Rangers

I reckon you've missed the point of his post entirely. Or maybe I have.

I know who my money's on though.  O0

20 May 08 - Tues 
Turkey		1 - 0	Slovakia

21 May 08 - Wed 

22 May 08 - Thu 
Aberdeen		2 - 0	Rangers

i'm not gonna argue this down to the bones with you mate, i'm just not...but lets say for argument someone could have been at the turkey game the night before or the ivory coast game the night after, such venues might have prevented his attendance in moscow due to travel time etc...?

but it's not the point, i don't really care

because other clubs haven't signed anyone means we shouldn't does it? 

you're right though, maybe we've got deals all lined up and the players ready to dance june first

personally i'm expecting another half-arsed transfer fiasco...just more annoying 'cause we're now paying 3 new people to fuck it up

20 May 08 - Tues 
Turkey		1 - 0	Slovakia

21 May 08 - Wed 

22 May 08 - Thu 
Aberdeen		2 - 0	Rangers

I reckon you've missed the point of his post entirely. Or maybe I have.

I know who my money's on though.  O0

Whooooooosh!

I was just messing with him  :razz:

20 May 08 - Tues 
Turkey		1 - 0	Slovakia

21 May 08 - Wed 

22 May 08 - Thu 
Aberdeen		2 - 0	Rangers

i'm not gonna argue this down to the bones with you mate, i'm just not...but lets say for argument someone could have been at the turkey game the night before or the ivory coast game the night after, such venues might have prevented his attendance in moscow due to travel time etc...?

but it's not the point, i don't really care

because other clubs haven't signed anyone means we shouldn't does it? 

you're right though, maybe we've got deals all lined up and the players ready to dance june first

personally i'm expecting another half-arsed transfer fiasco...just more annoying 'cause we're now paying 3 new people to fuck it up

Easier to get to Moscow from Istanbul than it is from Newcastle :lol:

At the end of the day, there are more scouts than just Wise and Vetere. There are several officially employed by the club, and many more who will work for us freelance (Zola apparently).

Fact is that you don't know who is watching who, so it is unfair to make such comments.

Besides, Keegan, Wise et al joined in January by which point summer plans have been made. The world doesn't revolve around NUFC 24/7.

If Keegan is happy for people to be on holidays before Euro 2008, I trust him. After all, we have been looking at players for a few months now, and lets face it, the majority in the Euros won't join a club beforehand. Most the players will already be on an agent ban by now anyhow.

I certainly remember signing the best player at Euro 96 after the tournament.