6 + 5 = 2012

Crumpy Gunt

They will be granted an exemption for the good of the sport.

Looks like they're beginning to panic at the sight of rich English clubs winning the CL every year.

I doubt it very much and if they are then that exemption will be challenged and will be overturned, you can't have it co-existing alongside the free  movement of people in other industries. the PFAs and footballers themselves and even the PL clubs are not short of a penny to  challenge it thorugh the courts.

I just feel the game is going to the dogs...why stop hear..next it will be against EU laws for Celtic & Rangers and Milan etc to be restriceted to trade only in their own countires. Let them join the PL. That is were the money is at. Why bother with Hull Stoke WBA..in fact lets just scrap relegation...

When you look at the stats what is the point in the EPL.. or some of the other top leagues?

Surely the idea was we have some sort of affinity with our clubs and the countries they are based in?

Maybe I'm a dreamer but a 3 way split of a team to HAVE to include local/same nationality/foreign would be the soultion. Touches all bases. Makes it more interesting. Bigger connection. And more importantly takes money slightly more out of the equation...which long term is what football needs to be doing.

1st thing I would change/trial for a ten year spell. Reverse prize money. EPL winners get nothing...zilch...just the trophy and the trappings that come with it. 2nd get the next least amount of money and so on. Leaves the relagated teams with less chance of finacial ruin/freefall which is happening more and more to the the last few EPL clubs.

There seems to be a rather fundamental flaw in that plan.

Lol yes, could you imagine, the number of own goals scored on the last day of the season. Why finish 12th when we could finish 13th if we lost today :)

Nothing is perfect..but lets face it...in over 25yrs of follwing NUFC I can count on 1 hand the importance of last games of the season...and that is when money is up for grabs for improved postion..so it works both way....

What I am trying to get at is that money should be the last factor when competing in sport...not the biggest...and the only way I can see that happening is to balance out finances as evenly as possibly and help teams at the lower end catch up.

The EPL is a stome throwaway from the SPL I'm affraid.

How about no pize money...? I don't know.....I'm just fed up of all the repetiton of it all...and I have a feeling KK is not the only thinking this.

The only way to remove money from the equation is to make it an amateur sport, do you really want that?

Mmm.. interesting...Quick question....what would be the downside?

I'm just thinking of a few plus point alound while you do...

Less cheating

Less corruption

Cheaper ST's

Less Hype

Less overpayed diss-loyal s**ts who want to walk out on 4yr contracts within 6month etc

Almost no need for agents

Greed

Money for failure

Southern/North West media spin (debatable)

Mmm.. you could be on to something here.

But to answer your question... I'm not sure.. would it be such a bad thing..?  I suppose all the shite I've mentioned above makes it what it is... I just feel when your team is a million miles from the peak of it or live in the North East of England... all that shite can leave a very bitter taste.

Why don't you go and watch your local amateur team?

I'm guessing it's because they're shite.

There's your answer.

Even how much I love PL and English football I can´t understand some people her. Like it is now your are hurting both PL and football in general and I rather see Brambles and Ramages in my English team than 11 Oba Martins (non english player). and I can say I am not a racist.

Really don´t understand what EU has to do with football. For me it is a sport, even if you earn a hell lot of money. I am sure you can get some kind of exception for sport or something.

Sure English player would be more expensive but isn´t they it now? have anyone heard of youth development?

I hate all the oligarchs in the football and I would rather see some kind of limitation of foreign than the direction we are going against now. I love sport for it basics, to compete.

If you love the competition, wouldn't you prefer the English player to work harder and compete for a spot on the top teams, rather than having it guaranteed to him?

Because its the ENGLISH premier league..and we are in England ...and our league is meant to reflect the qualities and defficiencies of England. They would still have to work hard for it.

Man Utd almost meet the quota... we are not talking about a major swing here...just a re-addressing of the balance which I think would benefit football and football fans in general.

Look at how much Man Utd have spent on English players alone in the last few years.

27m on Rooney

18m on Carrick

30m on Ferdinand

20m on Hargreaves

How many clubs can compete with that?

Forcing teams to field a certain number of domestic players may only increase the gap between the rich teams and the poor ones.

Guest LFEE

Nothing is perfect..but lets face it...in over 25yrs of follwing NUFC I can count on 1 hand the importance of last games of the season...and that is when money is up for grabs for improved postion..so it works both way....

What I am trying to get at is that money should be the last factor when competing in sport...not the biggest...and the only way I can see that happening is to balance out finances as evenly as possibly and help teams at the lower end catch up.

How about no pize money...? I don't know.....I'm just fed up of all the repetiton of it all...and I have a feeling KK is not the only thinking this.

It's professional sport, money is a huge part of it, like it or not. It's all well and good being idealistic and going back to days when football was just a game and Jackie Milburn worked down the mines to make a living. But those days will never return, this is the reality of the situation at the moment and money talks.

Sure there are ways that things can improve and we see a more competitive PL and hopefully those in power are putting plans in place to help achieve that.  But this particular idea will not help at all.

Can you suggest some things that would make the EPL more competitive. I am interested in hearing your (and anyones) views on this.

P.S. Great thread/debate everybody.

Looks like they're beginning to panic at the sight of rich English clubs winning the CL every year.

I doubt it very much and if they are then that exemption will be challenged and will be overturned, you can't have it co-existing alongside the free  movement of people in other industries. the PFAs and footballers themselves and even the PL clubs are not short of a penny to  challenge it thorugh the courts.

I just feel the game is going to the dogs...why stop hear..next it will be against EU laws for Celtic & Rangers and Milan etc to be restriceted to trade only in their own countires. Let them join the PL. That is were the money is at. Why bother with Hull Stoke WBA..in fact lets just scrap relegation...

When you look at the stats what is the point in the EPL.. or some of the other top leagues?

Surely the idea was we have some sort of affinity with our clubs and the countries they are based in?

Maybe I'm a dreamer but a 3 way split of a team to HAVE to include local/same nationality/foreign would be the soultion. Touches all bases. Makes it more interesting. Bigger connection. And more importantly takes money slightly more out of the equation...which long term is what football needs to be doing.

1st thing I would change/trial for a ten year spell. Reverse prize money. EPL winners get nothing...zilch...just the trophy and the trappings that come with it. 2nd get the next least amount of money and so on. Leaves the relagated teams with less chance of finacial ruin/freefall which is happening more and more to the the last few EPL clubs.

Lol yes, could you imagine, the number of own goals scored on the last day of the season. Why finish 12th when we could finish 13th if we lost today :)

The only way to remove money from the equation is to make it an amateur sport, do you really want that?

Less cheating

Less corruption

Cheaper ST's

Less Hype

Less overpayed diss-loyal s**ts who want to walk out on 4yr contracts within 6month etc

Greed

Money for failure

But to answer your question... I'm not sure.. would it be such a bad thing..?  I suppose all the s**** I've mentioned above makes it what it is... I just feel when your team is a million miles from the peak of it or live in the North East of England... all that s**** can leave a very bitter taste.

I'm guessing it's because they're s****.

There's your answer.

don´t think it would be funny to remove all the money and get some kind of amateur league. agree go and watch the local team :pow:. but do you really need to earn £50k/week? a get around £1k month and I live...

I don't know if EU free-movement-of-labour regulations would affect this, to be honest. Clubs could still employ whatever players they wanted; the FIFA rule would only affect who they could play in any given match.

fair enough if that is possible

Guest LFEE

Less cheating

Less corruption

Cheaper ST's

Less Hype

Greed

Money for failure

But to answer your question... I'm not sure.. would it be such a bad thing..?  I suppose all the s**** I've mentioned above makes it what it is... I just feel when your team is a million miles from the peak of it or live in the North East of England... all that s**** can leave a very bitter taste.

I'm guessing it's because they're s****.

There's your answer.

That is because they are compared to professional footballers....surely the question was 100% amateur..therefore no comparsion can be made surely?

Like I keep say...my thinking is long term... not a 1 to 5 years..wonder where the game and NUFC will be in 5yrs..any predictions.? ok save it for another thread.

Guest LFEE

Even how much I love PL and English football I can´t understand some people her. Like it is now your are hurting both PL and football in general and I rather see Brambles and Ramages in my English team than 11 Oba Martins (non english player). and I can say I am not a racist.

Really don´t understand what EU has to do with football. For me it is a sport, even if you earn a hell lot of money. I am sure you can get some kind of exception for sport or something.

Sure English player would be more expensive but isn´t they it now? have anyone heard of youth development?

I hate all the oligarchs in the football and I would rather see some kind of limitation of foreign than the direction we are going against now. I love sport for it basics, to compete.

If you love the competition, wouldn't you prefer the English player to work harder and compete for a spot on the top teams, rather than having it guaranteed to him?

Because its the ENGLISH premier league..and we are in England ...and our league is meant to reflect the qualities and defficiencies of England. They would still have to work hard for it.

Man Utd almost meet the quota... we are not talking about a major swing here...just a re-addressing of the balance which I think would benefit football and football fans in general.

Look at how much Man Utd have spent on English players alone in the last few years.

27m on Rooney

18m on Carrick

30m on Ferdinand

20m on Hargreaves

How many clubs can compete with that?

Forcing teams to field a certain number of domestic players may only increase the gap between the rich teams and the poor ones.

Again...I'm thinking long term.... Change your thinking that there is just a top 4 or a Man Utd at the pinicle of the game..look beyond it. That is the whole point...ways of re-addressing the balance.

Like I said earlier and I know it was shot down with what some could see as an obvious floor when it comes to the final stages...but how rich would Man Utd be if they had received no prize money everytime they won a league/FA Cup/Champions league etc...?

How much money could they are the likes of Real Madrid command when touring the world when they are limited to a similar amount of star players when any team in the EPL could offer such a roadshow?

The game needs some longterm ideas/changes

Again...I'm thinking long term.... Change your thinking that there is just a top 4 or a Man Utd at the pinicle of the game..look beyond it. That is the whole point...ways of re-addressing the balance.

Like I said earlier and I know it was shot down with what some could see as an obvious floor when it comes to the final stages...but how rich would Man Utd be if they had received no prize money everytime they won a league/FA Cup/Champions league etc...?

How much money could they are the likes of Real Madrid command when touring the world when they are limited to a similar amount of star players when any team in the EPL could offer such a roadshow?

The game needs some longterm ideas/changes

I have to disagree. Changing this rule doesn't address the balance of the league.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but if your team is lucky enough to unearth a young English gem, what's going to keep him from running off to a major team now that he is guaranteed first team football? The bigger teams wouldn't have to do any real scouting anymore. They'd just wait for the better players to separate themselves from the crowd.

As fans of the game and of the clubs, we like to think that everyone involved in the sport is shares our love of the game itself, but you take prize money out of the equation and who in the world is going to actually invest in the team? What's the point? You're going to be rewarded for failure.

The game does need some longterm changes, but this isn't it.

I hope this never happens, it would be a sad day for football.

Only the rich would prosper from this, as it's not only the English players prices that would rocket, every home-grown talent in any other country would also rocket in price. Wages would also be ridiculous for domestic-players, considering they're bargaining-power, "give me what I want, or I'll leave, leaving you with too few domestic players".

It would also harm the game, as not the best players available would be on the pitch and it would also make it less competitive, as you would be almost guaranteed a starting place as long as you're half-decent and from the country where you're playing.

Thank f*** for the E.U that will no doubt make sure this stupid idea never happens.

Where could they leave to exactly?? They could not go dashing off abroad easily as the rule would be the same their... and other teams would not sign so hastlity as they would want to balance their quota correctly and would not pay big money  for someone they could mnaybe not play all the time...and if the rule has the desired effect of making teams more equally competitive...then surely the will stay put more often than not as the top 4 phrase would become redundant.

Prices would go up, not just for English players, but for all players, making the game even more about money than it is today. It's very obvious that if a team is unwilling to let a homegrown player leave in todays market, imagine how much they would demand for him in a shortage of supply?

It's simple economics, the players would "monopolice" themselves, leaving the supply of players short, making it so that just the richest teams will afford to buy them (they will be the ones that have a reservation price higher than the one that has been set for the more expensive players).

Guest LFEE

I hope this never happens, it would be a sad day for football.

Only the rich would prosper from this, as it's not only the English players prices that would rocket, every home-grown talent in any other country would also rocket in price. Wages would also be ridiculous for domestic-players, considering they're bargaining-power, "give me what I want, or I'll leave, leaving you with too few domestic players".

It would also harm the game, as not the best players available would be on the pitch and it would also make it less competitive, as you would be almost guaranteed a starting place as long as you're half-decent and from the country where you're playing.

Thank f*** for the E.U that will no doubt make sure this stupid idea never happens.

Where could they leave to exactly?? They could not go dashing off abroad easily as the rule would be the same their... and other teams would not sign so hastlity as they would want to balance their quota correctly and would not pay big money  for someone they could mnaybe not play all the time...and if the rule has the desired effect of making teams more equally competitive...then surely the will stay put more often than not as the top 4 phrase would become redundant.

Prices would go up, not just for English players, but for all players, making the game even more about money than it is today. It's very obvious that if a team is unwilling to let a homegrown player leave in todays market, imagine how much they would demand for him in a shortage of supply?

It's simple economics, the players would "monopolice" themselves, leaving the supply of players short, making it so that just the richest teams will afford to buy them (they will be the ones that have a reservation price higher than the one that has been set for the more expensive players).

But prices could not go up if you read my original thread....6+5 + max transfer budget/wage size + Max squad size.

These are the 3 key areas needing looking at.

A players value could only get so high before teams would look elsewhere as they would have to stick to a budget/limit whether they could afford it or not. They could also only offer certain wages due to budget...so again... less onus on players going for the highest penny.

They could neither buy up everyone and park them as again they would be limited.

Get away from the "richest" clubs thinking... which would happen if these changes were made allowing more chance of things being won on a more sporting level.

Stupid idea, the spainish system of only 6 non EU players is good, and seems quite effective. Blatter is a tit like, next season if real madrid barca and villareal (unlikely but just for example), got to the semis of the champs league would he be making such a fuss. The prem league makes loads of money thus the clubs can buy who they want, whats he going to do next limit the income they can get from the TV rights so they don't have as much money to spend. Also the point someone made about a massive rise in transfer fees is very valid.

Guest kevin carrs gloves

I dont understand this illegal thing. They are not limiting the amount of non home grown players can be employed just the amount that can be on the pitch at any one time.

Guest optimistic nit

your right, in the sense that there does need to be more done to encourage teams to bring up and coming brittish players through, but this is a completely obsurd way of doing it.

Guest optimistic nit

no

but as it is now every team are so rich that you almost can by who ever you want and why play youngsters when you can buy a swede, dutch, Nigerian etc. youngsters will never get the chance and young people will my lose idols or don´t even start to play because they want have a chance. Not saying that it is going to happened but I hate the idea.

I forgot to mention one thing in my post. and that is that I rather, exactly, would have some kind of salary budget or something like NHL. both to make the leagues more competitive and to stop the silly money. it is insane that Owen earns over 1 million in the week to kick on a ball. We normal guys that work for the society?

my conclusion is that something has to be done. what and how I don´t really matter but I hope something. I just hate the ideas of some kind of super league there the top league in the country don´t think it is funny any more or that they don´t get what they want. I want to be competitive.

and the idea of have a 39th league game and sell the games over the world. in what fucking direction are we heading?!

Probably didn´t answer your question so well. but this is just what I think.

quite frankly watching nesta in the premiership would be enough to convince me to want to play as a centreback, watching ramage playing in the premiership will make me think "do i really want to assosiate with that retard". if you really think giving the likes of ramage a chance will motivate kids then you're deluded. kids get motivated by skill, not nationality, and a better premierleague will motivate kids better. grassroots is where we're failing them atm.

end of the day this is the fan's game, and a clear majority of fans will be unhappy about this. things need to be done, but while i'd say a high majority of fans would support a 50-60K wage cap, and other better ways of dealing with the problem, fifa are fucking donkeys.

that reverse prize money would be mental, smaller teams would be begging to get relegated so they could go down swimming in cash, spend a bit of that to get back up and then repeat

for smaller clubs there would be far less incentive to stay up!!!

the idea of "local" kids/players being part of the quota appeals to me though...might be a very good way of levelling the playing field as long as you stop kids moving about between certain ages

from 16-21 (arbitrary but off the top of my head) a kid has to stick with the club he signed for, can't be bought, AND you impose a number of home grown players on clubs in the matchday squad that would have an effect, say 5?

that way you're not breaking the law by limiting foreigners, you're imposing something that must be present in a squad rather than denying someone the opportunity to be there...the other 13 players in a match day squad could be foreign in this instance

the idea of "local" kids/players being part of the quota appeals to me though...might be a very good way of levelling the playing field as long as you stop kids moving about between certain ages

I can't see any way that would be workable. What counts as "local"?  How would it work in, say, Birmingham or Stoke? For which team could Owen Hargreaves play?

I can't see any way that would be workable. What counts as "local"?  How would it work in, say, Birmingham or Stoke? For which team could Owen Hargreaves play?

how should i know, i don't work for fifa, i just said i liked an idea - why the snipe?

for arguments sake though either anyone signed up at 16 in a clubs academy or anyone signed from abroad before a certain age (say 16 again?) can qualify as "local" or "home grown" players...anyone outwith that is either senior & english or senior & foreign

you need to have 5 "local" or "home grown" players in your match day squad - a senior player bought from another english club couldn't be counted

don't see the downside...bigger clubs couldn't sign anyone between say 16 & 21 from another english club, if they tried to to sign someone from south america for instance they'd not get a work permit, if they sign them and send them to belgium or something they'd be classed as foreign when they arrive not home grown

work the rest out yourself, it's not my manifesto or anything, idea just appealed

Stupid idea, the spainish system of only 6 non EU players is good, and seems quite effective.

So limiting the number of players based on their nationality is a stupid idea, but limiting the number of players based on their nationality is good, and seems quite effective.

Quite brilliant.  :cheesy:

that way you're not breaking the law by limiting foreigners, you're imposing something that must be present in a squad rather than denying someone the opportunity to be there...the other 13 players in a match day squad could be foreign in this instance

I don't see the (legal) difference.

As others have said, is it actually against EU law if the employment of the players is not restricted, just their ability to work on a particular day? I can see how it may be (as it is discriminatory), but it's less clear cut and doesn't seem to be covered by the EU Regulation quoted earlier in this thread..

I don't see the (legal) difference.

As others have said, is it actually against EU law if the employment of the players is not restricted, just their ability to work on a particular day? I can see how it may be (as it is discriminatory), but it's less clear cut and doesn't seem to be covered by the EU Regulation quoted earlier in this thread..

neither do i, but then i'm not a solicitor

anyways making clubs field home grown players might be a sensible answer to levelling the playing field - yank style draft systems, wage caps etc.. i just don't see working

I don't know if EU free-movement-of-labour regulations would affect this, to be honest. Clubs could still employ whatever players they wanted; the FIFA rule would only affect who they could play in any given match.

yeah i know what you're saying, seems that the law to oppose it would more likely be a discrimination law. at the end of the day the ruling wouldnt be saying the foreigners aren't free to ply their trade.