the press and transfer rumours

madras

I'd prefer it if people didn't make pointless threads.

whats pointless about it ? i can understand in politics about leaks being for the public good in some cases but in this field it seems a lot more for sensational headlines to boost sales and blatant shit stirring.

Guest elpapi

I'd prefer it if people didn't comment in pointless threads if they think it's pointless, not saying that I don't agree with that statement  :razz:

I'd prefer it if people didn't comment in pointless threads if they think it's pointless, not saying that I don't agree with that statement  :razz:

I'd prefer it if people didn't make pointless comments in pointless threads.

I agree with what you're saying.  But sport journalism in the UK seem to think they can throw around unnamed sources and informants like every transfer rumour or takeover is Watergate.  It isn't journalism, but I can't see it stopping until someone decides to call their bluff and sue one of the papers. 

I agree with what you're saying.  But sport journalism in the UK seem to think they can throw around unnamed sources and informants like every transfer rumour or takeover is Watergate.  It isn't journalism, but I can't see it stopping until someone decides to call their bluff and sue one of the papers. 

journalists don't name sources as a rule. if they had to, they'd never receive information in the first place. a journalist isnt going to say 'newcastle are close to signing david bentley, sources suggest. the blackburn man will arrive on tyneside tomorrow to discuss terms. sheila the club secretary told me all this, hope she doesnt get sacked for leaking confidential info"

i bet those little snippets of shite you read in the people or daily sport are literally just made up on the spot, but from the others they probably have a real source somewhere down the line. think of the kind of ITK shite that goes round the pubs, taxis and forums, and multiply it by 100, and you have the kind of stuff Journos get. i'm sure most of it is bollocks and most of it never reaches print, whereas other stuff does.

Guest JamesyJazz

whats pointless about it ? i can understand in politics about leaks being for the public good in some cases but in this field it seems a lot more for sensational headlines to boost sales and blatant s*** stirring.

Weapons of mass destruction.45 mins to hitting us.

Compared to?

Kinda pales into thin ether bud!.

journalists don't name sources as a rule. if they had to, they'd never receive information in the first place. a journalist isnt going to say 'newcastle are close to signing david bentley, sources suggest. the blackburn man will arrive on tyneside tomorrow to discuss terms. sheila the club secretary told me all this, hope she doesnt get sacked for leaking confidential info"

i bet those little snippets of s**** you read in the people or daily sport are literally just made up on the spot, but from the others they probably have a real source somewhere down the line. think of the kind of ITK s**** that goes round the pubs, taxis and forums, and multiply it by 100, and you have the kind of stuff Journos get. i'm sure most of it is bollocks and most of it never reaches print, whereas other stuff does.

But as a journalist the real reason you wouldn't credit Sheila the Club Secretary is because you know full well that she isn't a legitimate source.  How many of these insiders a) exist and b) have any credible knowledge of what is going on?  I would bet that half of them are agents or middle men, calling journalists because a story linking their client with Newcastle helps his negotiations on contract talks or something similar.  Rumours aren't supposed to be the basis of journalism.  Compare the number of times you see business or political journalists relying on "unnamed sources" in order to print something.  Not that often...and when they do, they are usually pretty damn sure of the source because their job is on the line.  They report fact - things that have happened.  If sports journalists did that they wouldn't sell papers, so they lie instead.

I've got no problem with having some fun in the summer with the wild gossip about transfers, but some of it is disgraceful.  The Martins to Arsenal stories for example...they don't have a source.  We know this, they know this, they know that we know this, but they get away with printing their own wishful thinking and getting obscene salaries for doing so.  If they actually printed fact (as in "my mate Steve reckons we should sign Obafemi Martins and his mate in the club shop agreed") then they would be out of a job.

I'd prefer it if that sentence made any sense.

We'd all prefer it if you didn't post in threads full stop.

I agree with chicago_shearer. Its only going to change if some kind of law is altered or set in place to enforce real facts to be included. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see the cheeky bastards get sued but these so-called journalists tend to know exactly how to bend the rules and get away with it.

I really don't agree with the stories that have zero quotes whatsoever and no sources provided, they're pathetic and utterly pointless.

whats pointless about it ? i can understand in politics about leaks being for the public good in some cases but in this field it seems a lot more for sensational headlines to boost sales and blatant s*** stirring.

Weapons of mass destruction.45 mins to hitting us.

Compared to?

Kinda pales into thin ether bud!.

the majority of political leaks are from a legit source and are relevent...football ones seldom seem to be eh bud ?

Guest NUFC4

at first glance i thought that this thread was pointless and not worth anyones time.  but now i'm giving it a second chance and i still think it's pointless i just felt the need to type it this time round

Wullie (I think) had a link to show how many of the stories they got write when writing rumours about Newcastle transfers. It was something like 148 wrong with 28 right or something like that. Never believe a paper ever.

Best thing is when people on here claim to know a journalist and then start giving out all sorts of ITK info, without realising that they're regurgitating the shit that didn't even manage to make the gossip column of the Daily Star.

That bloke on the Blackburn forum's a scream.

I've always found with paper rumours, the best ones always seem to come in the Times or the Guardian, where there will be some kind of objective article about current events using quotes and all that malarkey, and then they'll slip in a new link in the final paragraph claiming interest in a player, yet not feeling the need to make a completely speculative quoteless article about it.