Favourite ever goal? *Please don't post clips!*

Chris_R

OK, it's possibly been done before but I can't recall seeing it and the front page is full of so much sh#t that's about 2 years old that a bit of new life in here wouldn't go amiss.

So as the title asks, what's your favourite ever goal?

I'm setting no criteria here. It doesn't have to be anything famous, it doesn't have to be something you even witnessed yourself, it doesn't have to be a Newcastle goal. All I ask is that you explain why it's your favourite. It could be the brilliance of the strike or the significance of the moment or any other criteria you can think of.

Myself, I'm going to go with Andy Cole's 40th against Aston Villa to break Hughie Gallacher's record for goals in a season. I was tempted to go with Shearer's 200th V Portsmouth for similar reasons as they're both record-breaking goals I've been lucky enough to see first-hand, but I'm going for Cole's as I think the whole atmosphere about the place was better then (I don't mean atmosphere as in noise, I mean there was optimism and we believed, incorrectly as it turned out(!), that we were on the brink of winning things).

The celebrations when he scored were immense and the rendition of "Andy Andy Cole" that followed seemed to go on forever with everyone from the Gallowgate to the Platinum Club up and singing.

Anyway, enough from me. Over to you.

aesthetically. ?....i'll have to have long long hard think.

We have plenty of time. According to the doom-merchants there'll be no transfer activity to clog these boards up for about another 91 days anyway.

Guest NUFC4

a goal from off the corner of the 18 box, upper 90 off the far post, back across the goal line, one bounce, off the inside of the near post and into the net.  the crowd in emporia, ks went nuts for me and at probably 14 i could barely even put on my socks and shoes by myself

Guest mrainey

That Ibrahimovic goal (against Breda I think?) when he took on four or five defenders and then slotted it past the keeper. The ease with which he shifted his balance despite his height and how many times feints he performed was just brilliant. I remember laughing my ass off the first time I saw that one. Great stuff.

Euro 96 England v Holland. Gazza ( If my hazy memory serves me right) to Sheringham who lays it off to shearer who blasts it in. I pick this goal because we were the host nation and playing well. The nation was really behind the team and we had a genuine chance to win the tournament.

Edited for explanation of pick.

Guest Supersylt

*No Youtube clips, Christ on a bike*

This goal is from the Norwegian cup final back in 1984. The score is 2-2 when Fredrikstads central defender Per Egil Ahlsen decides to try his luck with a free kick from a distance of around 35 meters.

FWIW, I also like ludicrously hard volleys, so obviously Shearer's but, also, unfortunately, focussing purely on the goal, Rooney's volley against us. Nearly took the net off.

Placing a penalty in the top corner the last time we played Citeh at Maine Road. It may have been against their mascot 10 minutes before kick off and in a small goal but having the strong geordie away section cheer as though we'd scored properly was class. Getting back to my seat and having random blokes going "get in Pete" then actually seeing my first away victory capped off a great day.

As for proper football, it would probably have to be one of Robert's peaches against spurs. He had no right to score either but somehow did.

Who did Henry score against when the ball came to him on the edge of the box with his back to goal, he chipped it up, spun and arrowed it into the goal? My old brain is failing me today.

Who did Henry score against when the ball came to him on the edge of the box with his back to goal, he chipped it up, spun and arrowed it into the goal? My old brain is failing me today.

Manure.

That's right. Beautiful goal.

Man united i think it was-- class goal

edit- too late

Manure.

The one against West Ham was better IMO.

Manure.

The one against West Ham was better IMO.

Aye, another smashing goal.

Guest derek sausage

As I live down south and dont get to many home games, I thoroughly enjoyed our third by Viduka against Reading

this season . Great build up play. :clap2: