Pablo Aimar joins Benfica

morgs

Guest Sniffer

I know next to nothing about aimar  but I'm always leery that any player who leaves it late on  can adjust to the premier league. He's pushing 29 now, and if he turns out to be one of these foreigners that needs a year to settle he's just about over the hill. How can he be worth about the same as Lampard? Maybe 2-4 mill but that's all, surely.

Guest Sniffer

Lampard is a class player who scores goals in the premier league and has done it all where it matters.

Aimar is 29 in Nov, Lampard was 30 in June. Not much in it.

It's all about the contracts.

Also it's not like Aimar has never done anything, he is twice a spanish champion and has over 50 caps for Argentina. The only reason things have gone down hill for him is injuries.

Also it's not like Aimar has never done anything, he is twice a spanish champion and has over 50 caps for Argentina. The only reason things have gone down hill for him is injuries.

He was also instrumental in those two La Liga titles.

OK injuries ...that's not too important then is it?

I really don't get your point. You've been given the reason Lampard is going cheaply, it's his contract. Does that not make sense?

Guest Sniffer

My initial point is that I'm wary of relatively old players making a switch to the premier league as I said in my initial post.  Perhaps you can understand that point kimbo as it's quite simple.

My initial point is that I'm wary of relatively old players making a switch to the premier league as I said in my initial post.  Perhaps you can understand that point kimbo as it's quite simple.

We were talking about why Lampard and him are allegedly available for the same price. Whether he will adapt or not doesn't affect the price.

Have we learnt nothing? Signed Duff after an injury ravaged year and he's subsequently hardly played and never regained that high standard. Emre, Dyer and Viduka have laso been perma-crocks over the last few seasons. The last thing we need is an aging player with a poor injury record. We've seen with Emre that even if you have the footbaling talent if you can't get n the pitch then your useless.

Lampard is a class player who scores goals in the premier league and has done it all where it matters.

Aimar is 29 in Nov, Lampard was 30 in June. Not much in it.

Its a difference of 1 and a half years, not much in general terms I agree, but in Football terms its significant.  The difference in contract lengths is the most significant part though.

Guest MrSundlofer

Is he really injury prone?

If you read his statics you can see he has played around 30 games/season in the league over the last seasons...

Gotta wonder about a player who "was" deemed potentially world-class, that at the age of 28 finds himself at Zaragoza. Would prefer us going for players who are hungry and have a point to prove. just seems like another Emre type signing, A player who hardly plays, has questionable commitment and is maybe not suited to this league. Got Gamble written all over it at a time when I dont think we can afford one.

Gotta wonder about a player who "was" deemed potentially world-class, that at the age of 28 finds himself at Zaragoza. Would prefer us going for players who are hungry and have a point to prove. just seems like another Emre type signing, A player who hardly plays, has questionable commitment and is maybe not suited to this league. Got Gamble written all over it at a time when I dont think we can afford one.

What would you have said to signing Shearer (assume you are not Newcastle) in 2000 for £7-10m.

World Class, approaching the same age, at a provincial club, had a few injuries.

Zaragoza were tipped to push for a CL place in La Liga, last season. Their under-performance (and relegation) came as a massive surprise, IIRC.

Aimar is also not their only quality player they were so exciting to watch towards the end of last season

Dont think we will sign Aimar dont even think we are in for him

What would you have said to signing Shearer (assume you are not Newcastle) in 2000 for £7-10m.

World Class, approaching the same age, at a provincial club, had a few injuries.

lacking motivation or hunger is not something you can associate with Shearer, with Aimar had he kept the consistency that he started with at River and Valencia - The chances of us even being linked with him would be nil.

Player on the decline, Shearer at the same age however even with injuries would have been no gamble

Probably just as well you aren't running the Toon, then.    ;D

Aye we would be better of going for players like Nolan or keeping Butt and Geremi together coz we know they are really creative no point taking a risk on a player with massive ability