The Shola Ameobi thread

Crumpy Gunt

Guest KeithKettleborough

I suppose his record in this division isn't too bad but I don't complain whether he plays or isn't in the team now. When I feel ok about  him he has a stinker (like last night) and when I say, "Oh no Crappyolas playing", he scores. Kinda immune now but certainly wouldn't boo him (or an other in the team for that matter)

What I would maintain is that if he does play, then keep him out of our penalty area when we are defending corners etc. He causes more problems than he solves and isn't that great in the air anyway, if he actually does do the right thing.

he does fuck all for me. he cant head, trap the ball, cant tackle gives away free kicks all the time, cant run cos hes too big, but dosent compensate by putting that size to any effective use. the ball bounces off him all over the place. poor last night. I used to rate him, and think one day the competetive chip would kick in with him, it never has. doubt it ever will. big lazy clumsy bastard.....Dave...what was it Keegan said about him?

The Man is fucking shocking....he is completely ineffective against a strong centre half as Olsson was last night..His touch is shocking he is either offside or fouls repeatedly which for a guy of 28 who has been in the game a long time is nothing short of abysmal..His heading ability is nil due to the fact he has a head like a coconut and as far as pace goes i think usian bolt could run quicker through wet cement.When he does something thats completely shite he just grins like some looky looky man trying to sell you shite jewellrey.Looking at that last night WBA were streets ahead of us in footballing terms and i now fear that the team we put out there will die on its legs and blow any chance of promotion

The Man is f***ing shocking....he is completely ineffective against a strong centre half as Olsson was last night..His touch is shocking he is either offside or fouls repeatedly which for a guy of 28 who has been in the game a long time is nothing short of abysmal..His heading ability is nil due to the fact he has a head like a coconut and as far as pace goes i think usian bolt could run quicker through wet cement.When he does something thats completely s**** he just grins like some looky looky man trying to sell you s**** jewellrey.Looking at that last night WBA were streets ahead of us in footballing terms and i now fear that the team we put out there will die on its legs and blow any chance of promotion

This - absolutely. Apart from SOMETIMES pulling the defence, Ameobi is not up to the required standard, and at 28, is past it from a Prem point of view. I would have sold him at least 4 years ago.

He's no Shearer, but hes the best we're going to get at the moment and he wants to play for the club, so if he can do the job he's put on the field for; then fine by me. If he can keep up a decent strike rate (which at the moment is better than a goal every other game) them fair play to the man. But we will need a classy striker if and when we go up.

Some of you dont half exaggerate. He was more in the game than Loven & his touch was good most of the game. He took the ball down several times & was often fouled when he didnt.

Bang on, but you are fighting a lost cause here. Rather than look at the real problems, it's easier to have a go at Shola, who while not a quality striker, doesn't deserve half the  flak he's getting on last nights performance. Similar to the crap Dyer used to get, now here we are in the championship.

Some words from Shola from .com. Funny that he once wanted to be Shearer's successor  :lol:

"Five years ago I had big ambitions. I wanted to be Alan Shearer’s successor, wear the number nine shirt, play for England, go to the World Cup – so no my career is not fulfilled. I accept that.

“Five or six years, ago if someone said this would be my career, I would be disappointed. I would be first to admit I have not fulfilled my potential or scaled the heights I thought I would.

“That is down to me, you can talk about injuries and make all sorts or excuses, but the harsh truth is I have not reached the heights I set myself. But I have just turned 28 and there is still time.

“Anything can happen in football, I have learnt that over the last ten years. It is something I am trying to put right now. Still setting myself tough goals.

“I have always said if I am playing on a consistent basis, I will always score goals and that is the key, getting into a position where the manager is playing me week in, week out.

“There is gap between the two leagues, a big one. I believe I can still score goals in Premier League, I have done, look at the records - when I had regular runs, I was averaging a goal every other game.

“It is not a question of do I think I can do it, I know I can because I have done in it. And I have to say that when a manager does really believe in me, it helps. I am definitely someone who needs that. It brings the best out of me.

“My best times were with managers who rated me. Sir Bobby Robson rated me and often told me that. Glenn Roeder, Joe Kinnear as well. It gives you great confidence knowing the manager has faith.

“But when you think you need to score a goal to keep your place, or that if you haven’t scored in 60 minutes you are coming off, that is hard.

“I’ve been out for four months, but Chris Hughton has faith and it was great to hear him call me his number one striker.

“I have had it all from them (Newcastle fans), they have sung my name, booed me, cheered me, jeered me. It’s been a love hate relationship at times, I understand their frustrations.

“I know I have not reached my potential and they do as well. They are allowed to voice their opinion. I understand that.

“There have been many (players) in the past come here and not been able to deal with it. I think I have been strong enough to deal with it. Yes, of course, it has hurt at times – but I am still here.

“It makes me more determined. They know I care about this club, have grown to love this club and it will always be close to my heart.”

Guest Stephen927

So the only manager worth his salt to rate him is one who thought, like most did, that he would turn into a decent player when he was younger.

His "I will become great very soon, promise" are also part of his routine.

Make no mistake he will be here next season. He "won't fancy" any of the probable Champ clubs that will come in for him.

Dave...what was it Keegan said about him?

It was one of the lowest points of my career when Kevin Keegan, who is a fans’ hero, comes back and makes it pretty clear I was right down the pecking order.

The mugs on here who reckon he's miles ahead of any of our other forwards want their heads f***ing looking at.

He's a better finisher than anyone we've got here, by a fair distance. But when he's lumbering round like the embarrssing carthorse he was last night, it counts for virtually nothing.

Hope we get Harewood back. Shola makes him look very mobile.

The mugs on here who reckon he's miles ahead of any of our other forwards want their heads f***ing looking at.

He's a better finisher than anyone we've got here, by a fair distance. But when he's lumbering round like the embarrssing carthorse he was last night, it counts for virtually nothing.

How many of Lovenkrands' 4 goals in the last week do you think Shola would have put away?

Guest The_Scoreboard

How many of Lovenkrands' 4 goals in the last week do you think Shola would have put away?

not the one last night for sure, maybe the right foot one from plymouth. he started to change my thinking about him with his good start to the season, but the old shola is back. Can't anticipate a header - jumping way too early, lazy as fook, unable to control 95% of passes and his inability to fend off challenges really grips my shit. as for someone saying he tired in the second half - utter bollocks, he was fooked after the first quarter of the game. No way should he be starting games for us if we go back up, not now he has a comfortable 3 year contract safe in the bank.

Nothing has changed. Last night we came up against a side who simply defended/fouled better than most we've played. He'll soon be scoring and be seen to be class again, the faults from yesterday have been there all season. Doesnt matter as much when you get goals which he has been.

How many of Sholas goals would Loven put in anyway? Different types of player.