Er

Dave

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/06/13/toon-stars-are-told-to-pay-for-their-club-suits-72703-21068921/

Toon stars are told to pay for their club suits

Jun 13 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

THE Newcastle United players will have to dig into their deep pockets and pay for their club suits in the new season.

This is one of the decisions being made by Mike Ashley as the club owner tries to cut costs at St James’s Park.

The players have yet to be informed of the decision, confirmed by a club insider, and some of them may not be happy at the move.

And certainly this is an innovation as far as football clubs are concerned and it will be a talking point in the game.

But Ashley will not care about that as he tries to make his club a more viable proposition.

Indeed, the United owner will be hero in the eyes of some supporters, even though his decision will raise an eyebrow or two up and down the country.

However, it is unlikely that any United player will go public and complain about it, and there will not be a peep from the £3m a year men – and there are plenty of them at St James’s Park.

Most pointless story of the year so far, or worrying precident? :lol:

And what's the craic with the Shields Gazette having the same stories as the Chonicle almost word for word btw? Is 'Miles Starforth' Oliver's ghost name?

1 second later, cos I was fannying on with the formatting... you've skimped on the formatting and won the day. Disgraceful.

Dunno what the craic is with that to be honest. He's either THAT desperate for a story or it is actually true, just because of the random nature of it.

If it is true, then colour me puzzled. Gonna save a whopping £20-50k there, surely no more than that?

Maybe it's about not wasting that money, rather than what he can do with it. Just prudency.

I hope some of them take the piss and get really extravagant suits.

I could see Martins going for a bling-tastic one, tbh, with "MARTINS 9" on the back in diamonds.

If it is true, then colour me puzzled. Gonna save a whopping £20-50k there, surely no more than that?

Maybe it's about not wasting that money, rather than what he can do with it. Just prudency.

A prudent billionaire. My mam has always told me that the richer you are the tigher you are like, maybe she was right.

If the money is put towards a worthy cause then I'm all for it.

Should give the hard up bastards an option though, get your own or the club will provide you with one. Just happens to have Sport's Direct blazed across it at all angles and sizes.

Why pay the players their (real world) ridiculous wages AND then pay for their clothing? Makes no sense, you're effectively paying them twice.

If that money - however small an amount it is - goes on something more worthwhile (transfer fees would be nice :razz:) then it's worth doing.

No doubt some will moan though.

Guest elbee909

They're not exactly assets the company can re-use, are they?  If that player leaves, they'll keep the suit.  In which case why shouldn't they pay for them?

I'm really sure if i understand this fully.

If by club suits it means that they all have matching suits sourced by the company for them to wear on match days, then that is effectively a uniform and the club should pay for it.

If however it means that players are required to wear a suit (of their choice) on match days, then that is a dress code and they are right to make the players buy their own.

What if we get to the FA Cup though? Will the club pay for the suits then?

If by club suits it means that they all have matching suits sourced by the company for them to wear on match days, then that is effectively a uniform and the club should pay for it.

If however it means that players are required to wear a suit (of their choice) on match days, then that is a dress code and they are right to make the players buy their own.

I know a lot of companies where the staff have to pay for their uniforms. No different to me having to buy a suit or shirt and trousers.

The matchday shirts get sponsored don't they - a shrewd player would get his suit sponsored also

I'm going to pop in to the club shop on my way to work and see if the players are the queuing up to have their names put on the back of their shirts.

What players?

[/obvious]

Taking the story seriously for a second, seems fair enough tbh. It's not like they're short of a few bob is it?

If we're being serious, then (if true) this kind of trivial cost saving will put out a feeling of the club being "cheap" to current and potential players. The players will just laugh it off and pay it of course, but they'll still be a bit pissed off about it no matter how insignificant the cost is to them. I have first hand experience of this kind of thing working for a company which is cutting and cutting staff perks; the gain to the company and the loss to the staff is trivial, but workforce morale is shot to shit. Any financial cost saving the company makes is far outweighed by the time wasted by everyone whinging about it, and reduced motivation to do a good job. It probably doesn't matter much in companies like Sports Direct where staff motivation is probably so low it can't get any worse and trivial savings mount up across a large number of stores, but at a football club keeping the playing staff happy and motivated is a very important thing.

If it was a reasonably significant cost saving then it may be worth it, but this just seems stupidly petty.

I know a lot of companies where the staff have to pay for their uniforms. No different to me having to buy a suit or shirt and trousers.

The matchday shirts get sponsored don't they - a shrewd player would get his suit sponsored also

But you can wear your suits, shirts, smart shoes for other things. You could hardly turn up to a christening in a McDonald's uniform.

If a company insists that you wear a company uniform then they should supply it free of charge.

I know some companies insist that their employees pay for uniforms but they're generally shit, tight-arsed companies that no-one really wants to work for.

Taking the story seriously for a second, seems fair enough tbh. It's not like they're short of a few bob is it?

If we're being serious, then (if true) this kind of trivial cost saving will put out a feeling of the club being "cheap" to current and potential players. The players will just laugh it off and pay it of course, but they'll still be a bit pissed off about it no matter how insignificant the cost is to them. I have first hand experience of this kind of thing working for a company which is cutting and cutting staff perks; the gain to the company and the loss to the staff is trivial, but workforce morale is shot to shit. Any financial cost saving the company makes is far outweighed by the time wasted by everyone whinging about it, and reduced motivation to do a good job. It probably doesn't matter much in companies like Sports Direct where staff motivation is probably so low it can't get any worse and trivial savings mount up across a large number of stores, but at a football club keeping the playing staff happy and motivated is a very important thing.

If it was a reasonably significant cost saving then it may be worth it, but this just seems stupidly petty.

I'm not sure the players will really give a toss myself, but fair enough. Perhaps the players should never have been paid for their suits in the first place...? ;)

It'd make more sense if this was part of an business-wide cost-cutting exercise where the club is trying to minimise money spent unnecessarily. As with the season ticket pricing structure, there are obviously many changes going on. It's pretty clear that not many positive stories are being published right now though.

But you can wear your suits, shirts, smart shoes for other things. You could hardly turn up to a christening in a McDonald's uniform.

If a company insists that you wear a company uniform then they should supply it free of charge.

I know some companies insist that their employees pay for uniforms but they're generally s***, tight-arsed companies that no-one really wants to work for.

Team suits are sharp though and can certainly be worn to other events. They're not track suits you know.