Danny Guthrie signed from Liverpool on 4 year deal

Guest Redcar Mag

Personally I wouldn't say the likes of Inler (how many people on here knew about him before Euro 2008) and Larsson (decent squad player maybe) would improve our team, especially if we were to lose Emre and Barton (for a while anyway). I would have hoped we are setting our sights higher than this.

The loss of Emre will have no negative effect on the team, he's either injured or ineffective so getting rid of him is a plus as far as I'm concerned.

He may have been all that, he is/was also our best midfielder in terms of natural ability..

When has he ever shwon that natural ability? Certainly not in his set-pieces.

He may have taken some shitty corners, he has also taken some of our best free kicks in recent years.

He may have been all that, he is/was also our best midfielder in terms of natural ability..

I've rarely seen anything from Emre to give him the tag "best midfielder" other than past reputation; he's been a terrible signing for us.

Personally I wouldn't say the likes of Inler (how many people on here knew about him before Euro 2008) and Larsson (decent squad player maybe) would improve our team, especially if we were to lose Emre and Barton (for a while anyway). I would have hoped we are setting our sights higher than this.

The loss of Emre will have no negative effect on the team, he's either injured or ineffective so getting rid of him is a plus as far as I'm concerned.

He may have taken some shitty corners, he has also taken some of our best free kicks in recent years.

Can't think of many tbh, the winner in 3-2 against mackems was aboslutely brilliant but apart from that none stick out. Not that it matters anyway as we'd only get 10 or so games out of him so all this talk is redundant.

Guest JamesyJazz

Quite right in your assumptions.

Give the guy some time to settle in and play for a place.

Can't think of many tbh, the winner in 3-2 against mackems was aboslutely brilliant but apart from that none stick out. Not that it matters anyway as we'd only get 10 or so games out of him so all this talk is redundant.

His goal against Reading to win it for us 3-2 was pretty magical as well. 

Was Barry Venison the last Liverpool cast off we bought ? That didn't turn out too bad, did it ?

Barry Venison was hardly a Liverpool cast off or at the same stage of his career as Guthrie was . Kenny D used to pick Barry every time he was fit which was rare some seasons.

Guest Brazilianbob

Rather underwhelmed by this signing.  Ashley seems to have adopted the policy the club and the rest of the top flight teams had back in the 60's and 70's - signing Liverpool reserve/fringe players, the reasoning being that as the Liverpool first team was so far ahead of the rest, i.e. numerous league titles, domestic and european trophies, their reserves must by default be at least top flight quality.  You wait, it will be Evans from Manu next then perhaps an Arsenal reserve and dare I say it?  perhaps a spurs cast off too!!!

Dont really know the lad....but sounds like a ok signing....if we havent paid more than 2 mill.

I think this season will be average (midtable again) and i really dont mind if kk and mike gets things right once for all.....we need to clean out everywhere and get a strong foundation to build on. many things to sort out from the past....we need to build a squad and get the contracts right....starting with Owen.....i know its difficult with owen because personally hes our best man (if he stays fit) but he is also overpaid considering his former fitness problems and he is not getting younger. On the other hand i also think he is an important figure to attract other quality signings!

The squad is small but we still have to get rid of players like: smith, viduka (past it...cant stay fit for a whole season), cacapa, duff, emre, geremi. It will take time to rebuild....so please do it right for once!

A frustating thing is also that we or at least i dont know what formation kk will practice....4-3-3 0r 4-4-2....this makes it difficult to see where we need new players.

really looking forward to watch beye and enrique.....they should be settled for this season and therefore i expect both to perform well.

players i would like us to sign: van der vaart, huntelaar (not happening), lennon, vicente & swp (if 4-4-2), COLOCCINI, Diego, chr. poulsen, zigic, kershakov, drenthe, diarra (R.M) and forlan (i know all of these would be difficult to catch)

Guest MaetihS

I've rarely seen anything from Emre to give him the tag "best midfielder" other than past reputation; he's been a terrible signing for us.

thats how bad our midfield is considering Emre is not all that and yet our best CM in terms of creativity. another sign that there is a lot of work to be done in our midfield which resembles a relegation threatened one.

Anyone else sick to death of 'undisclosed' fees?

What the hell is going on?, In this day and age of corruption everything to do with transfers should be made available in the public domain, particularly the fee.

LOL - so the press can speculate that Keegan is only getting 10/15/20million* to spend in order to rebuild the squad?

*whichever sum is closest to the amount spent already

Would anyone have preferred Sidwell given a straight choice? Considering their age and probable wages?

Keegan said last summer somewhere that Sidwell was Readings best player - when they were about to lose him - so I expected him to make a move for him to be honest.

Assuming he decided to go for Guthrie at the price he did over Sidwell, I'm more than prepared to trust his judgement.

I agree that his judgement should be backed and trusted. But the question that all of us must be asking and you and others must know this deep down but won't admit it is, is it because he's being restricted. Comments and actions so far that have came out of the club suggest this is in fact the case but only time will tell if they are true, but how long will it be ?

Unless we sign another midfield player, considering he'll be competing against geremi, emre presumably gone and Barton still adjusting to life on the outside, I'd say that there is a good chance Guthrie will start in central midfield.

I think we'll sign at least one more midfielder.  Inler or Larsson in as a first teamer, Derdiyok as "cover" for Viduka, a two footed fullback and a big trophy signing midfielder to keep everyone happy and shift some replica shirts.  That would suit me.

That would suit you? It would mean we would fall further behind our rivals who either already have stronger squads and first teams or will show much more ambition than bringing in some decent Premiership and promising foreign youngsters and one signing to really strengthen the first team, which is what you mean when you refer to a siging as a trophy signing, i.e. somebody with a bit of class about them?

Class post.

thats how bad our midfield is considering Emre is not all that and yet our best CM in terms of creativity. another sign that there is a lot of work to be done in our midfield which resembles a relegation threatened one.

Emre wasn't or (at this time) isn't our best midfielder, he's done nothing to be given that tag.  N'Zogbia, Geremi and Milner have all done a better job for us than he has.

Emre has been little more than an enigma since signing for the club.

Guest stankydanky

New to this board so easy lads. 

The Guthrie signing could turn be okay at 2mil and in todays transfer market it's pretty low risk.  We still desperately need PROVEN quality in the middle of the park with or without him.  We were overran by the better sides in the league last season.  Guthrie, Butt and Barton would provide depth but as far as I'm concerned the #1 priority this summer is the central midfield.

Seb Larrson? Kind of falls into the category of the aforementioned players we currently have on our books, granted we don't have European football, but a fairly average player who couldn't even break into a terrible Sweden squad at the euros does not convince me.  We need to forget him and move towards players like Stephan Appiah who would be absolute quality in the middle of the park, don't know if Fener would let him go, but a quality attacking midfielder alongside him would instantly make us a top eight side.

Only time will tell who we sign, but if players like Larsson and Guthrie are being relied upon to pick us up after a terribly disappointing season then it is not a good sign.

The Guthrie signing could turn be okay at 2mil and in todays transfer market it's pretty low risk.  We still desperately need PROVEN quality in the middle of the park with or without him.  We were overran by the better sides in the league last season.  Guthrie, Butt and Barton would provide depth but as far as I'm concerned the #1 priority this summer is the central midfield.

Seb Larrson? Kind of falls into the category of the aforementioned players we currently have on our books, granted we don't have European football, but a fairly average player who couldn't even break into a terrible Sweden squad at the euros does not convince me.  We need to forget him and move towards players like Stephan Appiah who would be absolute quality in the middle of the park, don't know if Fener would let him go, but a quality attacking midfielder alongside him would instantly make us a top eight side.

Only time will tell who we sign, but if players like Larsson and Guthrie are being relied upon to pick us up after a terribly disappointing season then it is not a good sign.

thats my thoughts. i see guthrie as a squad player with time to improve (very keeganesque signing actually,eatock,jeffrey,guppy,holland,robinson) and hopefully more proven quality will be through the doors before ther end of august.

I don't think too many, if any are happy with our midfield.  Personally I would like to see us bring in a quality replacement for Butt and I would like to see us bring in a midfielder who can split defences with one pass that can put us through on goal.

Guest LucaAltieri

Another one in through the door. Has proven he can hold his own in the Premiership. Cheap. Good signing.

I don't think too many, if any are happy with our midfield.  Personally I would like to see us bring in a quality replacement for Butt and I would like to see us bring in a midfielder who can split defences with one pass that can put us through on goal.

this is my theory which will probably get shot down....but i think most players can play those sort of passes but very few players have the movement and timing to make the runs to make it happen . sometime the absolute slide rule pass is used but a lot less often than to make the player capable a necessity.

fire away.

Twelve of his 28 Bolton starts came in central midfield, the rest coming on either wing. He scored one goal, in a League Cup tie, and received five yellow cards. As well as versatility, Guthrie brings enthusiasm, a quality sadly lacking in N’Zogbia at present.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/07/12/new-arrival-may-hasten-charles-exit-61634-21329731/

Guest stankydanky

In all honesty I'd love to see Zog stay, but if he thinks he's going to get more playing time at the Arse or Yids then he's pissin in the wind