Danny Guthrie signed from Liverpool on 4 year deal

Guest Redcar Mag

I rate N'Zogbia put he is replaceable for the correct price and correct buyer.

Hopefully 7-8m to West Ham would be nice, i doubt Spurs etc will be keen anymore. I'd prefer to ship him to the continent if we had to.

Guest stankydanky

New to this board so easy lads. 

The Guthrie signing could turn be okay at 2mil and in todays transfer market it's pretty low risk.  We still desperately need PROVEN quality in the middle of the park with or without him.  We were overran by the better sides in the league last season.  Guthrie, Butt and Barton would provide depth but as far as I'm concerned the #1 priority this summer is the central midfield.

Seb Larrson? Kind of falls into the category of the aforementioned players we currently have on our books, granted we don't have European football, but a fairly average player who couldn't even break into a terrible Sweden squad at the euros does not convince me.  We need to forget him and move towards players like Stephan Appiah who would be absolute quality in the middle of the park, don't know if Fener would let him go, but a quality attacking midfielder alongside him would instantly make us a top eight side.

Only time will tell who we sign, but if players like Larsson and Guthrie are being relied upon to pick us up after a terribly disappointing season then it is not a good sign.

I don't think too many, if any are happy with our midfield.  Personally I would like to see us bring in a quality replacement for Butt and I would like to see us bring in a midfielder who can split defences with one pass that can put us through on goal.

this is my theory which will probably get shot down....but i think most players can play those sort of passes but very few players have the movement and timing to make the runs to make it happen . sometime the absolute slide rule pass is used but a lot less often than to make the player capable a necessity.

fire away.

In Owen and Martins we have two of the best forwards in the game movement wise, if I was an out of favour attaking midfielder with an eye for a pass then I would be salivating over that potential combination.  Don't forget we also need someone who can win the ball and pass it when playing the better sides, hence the desperate need for a quality defensive midfielder.  The ammount of times we couldn't keep the ball because Butt was a half step behind the better players in the leauge had me tearing my hair out

The Guthrie signing could turn be okay at 2mil and in todays transfer market it's pretty low risk.  We still desperately need PROVEN quality in the middle of the park with or without him.  We were overran by the better sides in the league last season.  Guthrie, Butt and Barton would provide depth but as far as I'm concerned the #1 priority this summer is the central midfield.

Seb Larrson? Kind of falls into the category of the aforementioned players we currently have on our books, granted we don't have European football, but a fairly average player who couldn't even break into a terrible Sweden squad at the euros does not convince me.  We need to forget him and move towards players like Stephan Appiah who would be absolute quality in the middle of the park, don't know if Fener would let him go, but a quality attacking midfielder alongside him would instantly make us a top eight side.

Only time will tell who we sign, but if players like Larsson and Guthrie are being relied upon to pick us up after a terribly disappointing season then it is not a good sign.

I don't think too many, if any are happy with our midfield.  Personally I would like to see us bring in a quality replacement for Butt and I would like to see us bring in a midfielder who can split defences with one pass that can put us through on goal.

this is my theory which will probably get shot down....but i think most players can play those sort of passes but very few players have the movement and timing to make the runs to make it happen . sometime the absolute slide rule pass is used but a lot less often than to make the player capable a necessity.

fire away.

In Owen and Martins we have two of the best forwards in the game movement wise, if I was an out of favour attaking midfielder with an eye for a pass then I would be salivating over that potential combination.  Don't forget we also need someone who can win the ball and pass it when playing the better sides, hence the desperate need for a quality defensive midfielder.  The ammount of times we couldn't keep the ball because Butt was a half step behind the better players in the leauge had me tearing my hair out

owen yes martins i aint so sure about. he has great timing for ball from deep through the middle and the control to go with it in that situation however his other movement and control are open to debate.

adde to that i'm never sure we play martins correctly or if he could play the way i envisage.

Guest stankydanky

fire away.

owen yes martins i aint so sure about. he has great timing for ball from deep through the middle and the control to go with it in that situation however his other movement and control are open to debate.

adde to that i'm never sure we play martins correctly or if he could play the way i envisage.

Martins has the pace obviously to make darting runs that split defenses.  It is just the fact that since he's arrived with the exception of Emre (who hardly played) we have not had a single solitary player, who can look up, instantly spot the run and deliver a perfect pass right on his boot or into space.  The number of times last season when I say Martins attempt to move into space and find a pass either behind him or too far in front of him was incredibly frustrating.  Movement wise he has the ability, I would actually doubt what you said about his control, he simply cannot at the moment use his pace and dribbling to consistantly beat his man.

fire away.

Martins has the pace obviously to make darting runs that split defenses.  It is just the fact that since he's arrived with the exception of Emre (who hardly played) we have not had a single solitary player, who can look up, instantly spot the run and deliver a perfect pass right on his boot or into space.  The number of times last season when I say Martins attempt to move into space and find a pass either behind him or too far in front of him was incredibly frustrating.  Movement wise he has the ability, I would actually doubt what you said about his control, he simply cannot at the moment use his pace and dribbling to consistantly beat his man.

Mmmmmm not so sure. one of the main criticisms of martins inside the ground is his poor movement when we have the ball in their half. he seems more to react to where the ball is going rather than making the move to give the impetus to the player with the ball.

Guest stankydanky

fire away.

Mmmmmm not so sure. one of the main criticisms of martins inside the ground is his poor movement when we have the ball in their half. he seems more to react to where the ball is going rather than making the move to give the impetus to the player with the ball.

Fair play, but if you had Nicky Butt, Joey Barton and Geremi playing balls to you, and kept making lung busting runs up the middle or into space if nothing came of it following the ball would be the only option.  I understand what your saying, but I think once we get a true attacking midfielder in with an eye for a pass who can also keep up with the pace of the game over here will actually reveal whether this is true or not.  I still think the biggest weakness in Martins game is the fact that he cannot beat his man and use his breakaway speed when he has the ball effectively enough.

fire away.

Fair play, but if you had Nicky Butt, Joey Barton and Geremi playing balls to you, and kept making lung busting runs up the middle or into space if nothing came of it following the ball would be the only option.  I understand what your saying, but I think once we get a true attacking midfielder in with an eye for a pass who can also keep up with the pace of the game over here will actually reveal whether this is true or not.  I still think the biggest weakness in Martins game is the fact that he cannot beat his man and use his breakaway speed when he has the ball effectively enough.

i think he is too polite...knows he can do anyone for pace but sees it as unsporting to do so.

fire away.

The player who can play a slide rule pass isn't a necessity but would make a massive difference to us rather than the hit and hope balls that we play far too often and usually in desperation.

When a game is tight a player who can do this can often change the game.

fire away.

The player who can play a slide rule pass isn't a necessity but would make a massive difference to us rather than the hit and hope balls that we play far too often and usually in desperation.

When a game is tight a player who can do this can often change the game.

Sadly Emre had the ability but not quite the brain (which i supposed could be argued mental ability). What's irritating is that we have not had someone down the middle, with that capability in a long time. I don't believe anyone in the premiership who is available with that sort of talent.

Rather underwhelmed by this signing.  Ashley seems to have adopted the policy the club and the rest of the top flight teams had back in the 60's and 70's - signing Liverpool reserve/fringe players, the reasoning being that as the Liverpool first team was so far ahead of the rest, i.e. numerous league titles, domestic and european trophies, their reserves must by default be at least top flight quality. 

Well, it makes a change from us signing Chelsea reserve/fringe players. 

fire away.

I'm sorry but Martins off the ball movement is piss poor, usually moving after the pass is made. The guy lacks vision tbh. Agree about owen though.

Personally I wouldn't say the likes of Inler (how many people on here knew about him before Euro 2008) and Larsson (decent squad player maybe) would improve our team, especially if we were to lose Emre and Barton (for a while anyway). I would have hoped we are setting our sights higher than this.

The loss of Emre will have no negative effect on the team, he's either injured or ineffective so getting rid of him is a plus as far as I'm concerned.

He may have been all that, he is/was also our best midfielder in terms of natural ability..

When has he ever shwon that natural ability? Certainly not in his set-pieces.

He may have taken some shitty corners, he has also taken some of our best free kicks in recent years.

Can't think of many tbh, the winner in 3-2 against mackems was aboslutely brilliant but apart from that none stick out. Not that it matters anyway as we'd only get 10 or so games out of him so all this talk is redundant.

His goal against Reading to win it for us 3-2 was pretty magical as well. 

Yes it was, not a free kick though.

i think some people are forgetting that this player will be hungry to suceed, someone who will put effort it

its a great opertunity at a big club thats in the press often, so he obviously has ambition

we need hungry work hard players who've got something to prove, who want to make a mark

not some overpriced has-been or a high reputation player from the fringes of the top four

decent signing  :clap:

I will hold onto my excitement over this signing until I have seen him play for us a good few times.

And by doing that you're not writing him off, unlike some people.

i think some people are forgetting that this player will be hungry to suceed, someone who will put effort it

its a great opertunity at a big club thats in the press often, so he obviously has ambition

we need hungry work hard players who've got something to prove, who want to make a mark

not some overpriced has-been or a high reputation player from the fringes of the top four

We´ve got ourselves a low reputation player from the fringes of the top four! We´removing up in the world..  :celb: (just joking before some of you have another fit)

I will hold onto my excitement over this signing until I have seen him play for us a good few times.

And by doing that you're not writing him off, unlike some people.

Can you point me to some posts of people writing him off Mick?

Agree with the sentiments of that post. I'd much rather have young, hungry players who are desperate to prove themselves than the likes of Duff, Smith, Carr etc who know they've already made it and are on huge wages. If he's good then great, if he's cack then at least he's not cost us much and will still be a good age when his contract runs out. This isn't to say we don't need immediate first-teamers - we do - but to complain at this deal for the supposed £2m is mental.

[/NOT A CRITICISM OF THE OLD BOARD]

:lol:

Go to the first page in the thread. 

That was before we actually signed him man! Don´t you know he´s a good squad player now he´s signed for us, and a great piece of business from the club?

That was before we actually signed him man! Don´t you know he´s a good squad player now he´s signed for us, and a great piece of business from the club?

Who's changed their minds like?

You asked me to point to some posts of people writing him off and I've told you where to find some, whether it was before or after we signed him makes no difference, he was written off.

My thoughts are that he could be a good squad player and a good piece of business, I'll know better when he's actually been here a while rather than before he's kicked a ball, unlike some who have already decided that he's not good enough.

Agree with the sentiments of that post. I'd much rather have young, hungry players who are desperate to prove themselves than the likes of Duff, Smith, Carr etc who know they've already made it and are on huge wages. If he's good then great, if he's cack then at least he's not cost us much and will still be a good age when his contract runs out. This isn't to say we don't need immediate first-teamers - we do - but to complain at this deal for the supposed £2m is mental.

I think a lot of the misunderstanding is due to the fact that people have different views of how we should build a good squad as quickly as possible (which IMHO we do need to as we are losing ground and have been for a few years). There is a camp that look at our current squad and conclude it is both small and not very strong. The best way to get it up to scratch is by buying some (doesn´t even have to be more than 3 or 4) very good players and move current first teamers to be squad players (the likes of Butt, Geremi, Taylor). There seems to be another camp that wants us to build from the ground up and don´t seem too concerned about the timing aspect (doesn´t have to be this upcoming season) as long as we slowly move in the right direction.

In my mind, the second approach would suit a club with limited financial means and a good manager. In my opinion we are a club with a good manager that should be able to compete financially, like we have done for years and especially now we have a billionaire owning the club. I just don´t quite understand why we are taking chances on players who haven´t shown as far as I am aware extraordinary potential or quality unless we really need to. Luckily, we all seem agreed we need better quality transfers before the window shuts, so here´s hoping it happens and I can read my own posts back and laugh at my own impatience. For now though, I haven´t seen much to suggest that will happen. You can point at the club keeping its cards close to its chest and claim we don´t know anything, but I will point out that they have played their first two cards on the table already, and I have yet to be impressed.

I think a lot of the misunderstanding is due to the fact that people have different views of how we should build a good squad as quickly as possible (which IMHO we do need to as we are losing ground and have been for a few years). There is a camp that look at our current squad and conclude it is both small and not very strong. The best way to get it up to scratch is by buying some (doesn´t even have to be more than 3 or 4) very good players and move current first teamers to be squad players (the likes of Butt, Geremi, Taylor). There seems to be another camp that wants us to build from the ground up and don´t seem too concerned about the timing aspect (doesn´t have to be this upcoming season) as long as we slowly move in the right direction.

In my mind, the second approach would suit a club with limited financial means and a good manager. In my opinion we are a club with a good manager that should be able to compete financially, like we have done for years and especially now we have a billionaire owning the club. I just don´t quite understand why we are taking chances on players who haven´t shown as far as I am aware extraordinary potential or quality unless we really need to. Luckily, we all seem agreed we need better quality transfers before the window shuts, so here´s hoping it happens and I can read my own posts back and laugh at my own impatience. For now though, I haven´t seen much to suggest that will happen. You can point at the club keeping its cards close to its chest and claim we don´t know anything, but I will point out that they have played their first two cards on the table already, and I have yet to be impressed.

i have a foot in both camps.

Who's changed their minds like?

Here´s one

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=53602.msg1389869#msg1389869

vs

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=53602.msg1362850#msg1362850