Danny Guthrie signed from Liverpool on 4 year deal

Guest Redcar Mag

Eagles will be joining Watford as far as I know. When I went looking for a job in the club store earlier, the fella reckoned we'd made a bid. He's a local lad. Not even that great. Not good enough for you.

Guthrie will be reliable and decent for you with potential to improve. :)

A bit O/t but this guy i know went to school with Eagles and said he's (or was) a total nut job. Amongst other things, he told me about the time he had a wank in class then rubbed the substance in one girls hair.

I went to the same school as him, played football with him even quite a few times. He used to be alright but since he's been at Man Utd he's turned into a complete tosser. Never heard about that incident though. :lol:

Don't be excited, but the thing is we need squad players, not every signing is going to be a superstar. Not every signing CAN be a superstar.

Exactly.  When the extent of your central midfield options are Geremi (30), Nicky Butt (34 next year), and a player that may or may not be out of prison in time for the season then you need more than one quality signing to compete.  Signing a young 21 year old with Premiership experience strengthens the team. 

I think we have enough squaddies. We need someone with class on the ball. This has been mentioned throughout the whole of the last season. We've got enough hardworking players in the team. If we sign some class players, those hardworkers who were playing will be relegated to the bench anyway, and our squad will fill out. I hoped that we would sign someone who gets the pulse racing. Gutierrez - pacey, Argentine international and highly rated - is someone I'm excited about. This player - £2m, can't get in the Bolton team, the Bolton fans are glad they're not buying him, the Liverpool fans think he'll never start for them, mentioned as being slow - doesn't excite me.

I still hope that we will sign some better players. But like I said, I'm not excited about this signing.

And who is more suited to commenting on Guthrie? How about the fans of the team he played 30 games for last season?

content with the signing, young, decent amount of potential and not too expensive.

However, in no way does it ease the worry that there is a distinct lack of real quality in the starting 11.

I think we have enough squaddies. We need someone with class on the ball. This has been mentioned throughout the whole of the last season. We've got enough hardworking players in the team. If we sign some class players, those hardworkers who were playing will be relegated to the bench anyway, and our squad will fill out. I hoped that we would sign someone who gets the pulse racing. Gutierrez - pacey, Argentine international and highly rated - is someone I'm excited about. This player - £2m, can't get in the Bolton team, the Bolton fans are glad they're not buying him, the Liverpool fans think he'll never start for them, mentioned as being slow - doesn't excite me.

I still hope that we will sign some better players. But like I said, I'm not excited about this signing.

And who is more suited to commenting on Guthrie? How about the fans of the team he played 30 games for last season?

I've never heard so much shite in one paragraph.

1) "Can't get in the Bolton team" followed by..... "played for them 30 time last season" the contradiction speaks for it's self.

2) "Bolton fans are glad they are not buying him"..... evidence please? Funny enough the Bolton board clearly were impressed enough to try and sign him permenantly.

3) "The Liverpool fans think he will never start for them" Very true but half the players in the league couldn't get a game for them with Gerrard, Alonso and Mascherano in their midfield, therefore a rather irrelevant comment.

4) "We have enough squaddies" What the fuck is a squaddie? If your reffering to the size of our squad then it is nowhere near big enough. Personally i'd rather have good young players who still have hunger on the bench than players who's best days are behind them.

5) Excitement is irrelevent.

Not sure about the lad but remember what everyone said when we signed Bellamy and apart from being a C**K the lad did well for us, wait and see  :thup:

optimism of the highest degree.

Not everybody hadn't heard of Bellamy, one or two people were very happy to buy him. Like me.

Guest 22bnw

We've been sh*t for quite a while now and it's about time we started rebuilding with low profile young players like Gutierrez and Guthrie. Well done to them.

From a Liverpool fan on another football forum following the announcement of Guthrie joining Newcastle:

"Danny did ok at Bolton but never quite looked up to the job for us. Good player in the right team, though not one who will tear up any trees."

We've been sh*t for quite a while now and it's about time we started rebuilding with low profile young players like Gutierrez and Guthrie. Well done to them.

Gutierrez is an argentine international and was valued at 12m before we nicked him for nowt.  Harldy 'low profile'.

content with the signing, young, decent amount of potential and not too expensive.

However, in no way does it ease the worry that there is a distinct lack of real quality in the starting 11.

Depends what area you are talking about. In the final third of the pitch, i'm happy with Owen, Viduka and Martins for starters.

In defence, i'm content with Beye, Faye and Enrique.

The midfield is the real area of concern, which i'm positive we will be addressing.

Guest Guinness

I've not seen much of him so I can't really comment on the signing, can't see what harm it's doing at £2m considering he's only 21. We've got a tiny squad and as such need additions like this providing we also look for more established players to immediately displace the likes of Butt and Geremi.

1) "Can't get in the Bolton team" followed by..... "played for them 30 time last season" the contradiction speaks for it's self.

2) "Bolton fans are glad they are not buying him"..... evidence please? Funny enough the Bolton board clearly were impressed enough to try and sign him permenantly.

3) "The Liverpool fans think he will never start for them" Very true but half the players in the league couldn't get a game for them with Gerrard, Alonso and Mascherano in their midfield, therefore a rather irrelevant comment.

4) "We have enough squaddies" What the fuck is a squaddie? If your reffering to the size of our squad then it is nowhere near big enough. Personally i'd rather have good young players who still have hunger on the bench than players who's best days are behind them.

I'm saying nothing. Apisith is one of the people who take sense sometimes on here. Quite amazing people are defending the record in the transfer market of this club in the last year. Astonishing.

I've not seen the guy play so can't really comment for myself, but a lad I work with is a Saints supporter who rates him quite highly and believes he is well worth the £2m that's been mentioned.

All in all he's not a signing to blow you away but might aswell wait and see what happens and hopefully he'll turn out to be a bargain.

Guest 22bnw

Gutierrez is an argentine international and was valued at 12m before we nicked him for nowt.  Harldy 'low profile'.

Fair point, but many of us hadn't heard of him. He's only got 2 apps for Argentina (so far) - many players have only a handful of appearances for their country and could be considered low profile.

I'm saying nothing. Apisith is one of the people who take sense sometimes on here. Quite amazing people are defending the record in the transfer market of this club in the last year. Astonishing.

Thought you were saying nothing?

I wish you wouldn't.

you're stance is becoming increasingly indefensible, sadly

Maybe a few years of this and the penny will drop

You talking to me.

As far as i'm aware i've made about three posts in this thread, hardly enough to warrant a stance?

So what shall we talk about, Bellamy or Freddy?

Can't get in the Bolton team = 21 league starts for them. That's just over half the possible starts. Are you excited?

The total number of games includes coming on as a substitute, and of course playing in league cup games and fa cup games. The fact that he only started about half of their league games says a lot to me.

Am really really surprised by this. Guthrie didn't impress me at all. He came on the scene last season and looked very good, but he never had a good game from October to May. I really can't believe Newcastle have signed him.

Seen him play on a dozen occasions and I didn't really rate him, too much of a headless chicken and no end product.

True, the size of the squad isn't big enough. But if we fill it with average players, we'll have an average squad. I hope that we'll end up signing quality starters so that Geremi and Butt are relegated to the bench, and then we'll have a big enough squad and it'll have some quality. The odds are that Geremi and Butt will still be starting if we continue to sign these players. That's not good enough for us, even if our current state.

Excitement isn't irrelevant. I want to be excited about our team. I want to look forward to games. I want to see us play good football. If you're not excited about your own football team, about the future, then you may as well not support it. It shouldn't be a chore nor an obligation to support your own team.

I am excited about next season, but that's because of Kevin Keegan. I would be even more excited if we signed some players who have shown their class, but that's not to say that this boy won't come good. Just saying, he doesn't exactly get your pulses racing, does he?

Guest neesy111

well spending buying luque and owen, made the team worse not better and that almost bankrupted us

we need some squad players and finally instead of going for overpaid past it players, getting determined hard working players not on 60k a week

the club can never when with you NE5 ffs

I was right then. Whinging idiot.

you're wrong. The club is going nowhere if they don't sign players to immediately improve the first team. If thats whinging, then you're soopa optimistic Dave, to the point of being completely blind I'm afraid.