Danny Guthrie signed from Liverpool on 4 year deal

Guest Redcar Mag

Rather underwhelmed by this signing.  Ashley seems to have adopted the policy the club and the rest of the top flight teams had back in the 60's and 70's - signing Liverpool reserve/fringe players, the reasoning being that as the Liverpool first team was so far ahead of the rest, i.e. numerous league titles, domestic and european trophies, their reserves must by default be at least top flight quality.  You wait, it will be Evans from Manu next then perhaps an Arsenal reserve and dare I say it?  perhaps a spurs cast off too!!!

missed this one, but its spot on based on what we've seen so far. Quite amazing how some people continue to choose not to recognise it just because it means ackonwledging the old board actually did something right and soopa Mike might not be so soopa after all.

Are you suggesting we never signed reserve/fringe players from the top clubs under the previous board? Think carefully before you answer.

We also signed top notch players and paid the going rate, which is how we qualified for the Champs League and europe so often.

Competing at the level of the likes of pompey and Blackburn isn't really how I think NUFC should be run. Stand by for years of real mediocrity if thats what you want Dave. The truth is that clubs like Blackburn are currently doing the best of about 40 or 50 teams competing at that level, thats all. Newcastle are bigger than that.

I didn't spot an answer in there.

If this is the only type of player we sign you'll have a point. As it is, we've also signed a player Portsmouth wanted for £8m and there's six weeks of the window left.

Wtf.. They clearly didn´t or he would have been playing there wouldn´t he Dave? You are aware that was Mallorca´s asking price and no club was willing to match it, so how does that make him worth that amount? You seemed to understand this very same principle in the Arshavin thread..

Mallorca rejected an £8m bid for him in January from Portsmouth, I've shown you the quotes confirming this before. Are you disputing them again?

By rejecting that bid they clearly valued him at more than £8m, no?

Just out of interest, how many games has he played for the England Under 21s? Haven't really noticed him in their side, which is rare if because if there's an Englishman with even a hint of talent from one of the big 4 they're in there.

None.

Rather underwhelmed by this signing.  Ashley seems to have adopted the policy the club and the rest of the top flight teams had back in the 60's and 70's - signing Liverpool reserve/fringe players, the reasoning being that as the Liverpool first team was so far ahead of the rest, i.e. numerous league titles, domestic and european trophies, their reserves must by default be at least top flight quality.  You wait, it will be Evans from Manu next then perhaps an Arsenal reserve and dare I say it?  perhaps a spurs cast off too!!!

missed this one, but its spot on based on what we've seen so far. Quite amazing how some people continue to choose not to recognise it just because it means ackonwledging the old board actually did something right and soopa Mike might not be so soopa after all.

Are you suggesting we never signed reserve/fringe players from the top clubs under the previous board? Think carefully before you answer.

We also signed top notch players and paid the going rate, which is how we qualified for the Champs League and europe so often.

Competing at the level of the likes of pompey and Blackburn isn't really how I think NUFC should be run. Stand by for years of real mediocrity if thats what you want Dave. The truth is that clubs like Blackburn are currently doing the best of about 40 or 50 teams competing at that level, thats all. Newcastle are bigger than that.

If this is the only type of player we sign you'll have a point. As it is, we've also signed a player Portsmouth wanted for £8m and there's six weeks of the window left.

Wtf.. They clearly didn´t or he would have been playing there wouldn´t he Dave? You are aware that was Mallorca´s asking price and no club was willing to match it, so how does that make him worth that amount? You seemed to understand this very same principle in the Arshavin thread..

what now? You've based that opinion on absolutely nothing whereas it was confirmed by the Mallorca that they rejected an £8m bid from Pormstmouth in Jan, so by that pricing it'd be fair to say that maybe he could of been worth more...

I´ve checked and it appears you may be right. Apologies Dave.

what now? You've based that opinion on absolutely nothing whereas it was confirmed by the Mallorca that they rejected an £8m bid from Pormstmouth in Jan, so by that pricing it'd be fair to say that maybe he could of been worth more...

whaaat????

Just out of interest, how many games has he played for the England Under 21s? Haven't really noticed him in their side, which is rare if because if there's an Englishman with even a hint of talent from one of the big 4 they're in there.

None.

I know it's not the be all and end all, but that's not very encouraging when you think Bolton paid £5m for the man who does occupy his position in that side (Muamba), rather than pay a few million for a lad they had on loan for a season.

None.

I know it's not the be all and end all, but that's not very encouraging when you think Bolton paid £5m for the man who does occupy his position in that side (Muamba), rather than pay a few million for a lad they had on loan for a season.

Midfield players infront of him at the moment include Muamba, Craig Gardner, Huddlestone, Leadbitter(fucking hell), O'Hara, Tom Soares, Andrew Surman, Noble, Cattermole, and Michael Johnson.

It makes you wonder.

Guest Heneage

None.

Midfield players infront of him at the moment include Muamba, Craig Gardner, Huddlestone, Leadbitter(f***ing hell), O'Hara, Tom Soares, Andrew Surman, Noble, Cattermole, and Michael Johnson.

It makes you wonder.

The U21s mean bugger all. Routledge was a regular where is he now? So was Chopa Shola Titus.

Can't say I'm that arsed about Stuart Pearce's opinion ahead of KK's like.

Let's be honest though, apart from Keith Gillespie, how many young players did he sign that cracked the Premiership? This could be a midfield version of Paul Kitson for all we know.

Let's be honest though, apart from Keith Gillespie, how many young players did he sign that cracked the Premiership? This could be a midfield version of Paul Kitson for all we know.

Andy Cole?

And I knew when I typed that there was Guppy and to a lesser extent Huckerby...but not under Keegan.

Andy Cole?

He was one of the most highly rated players in Division One at the time though. Sure he'd already scored 15 goals or whatever for Bristol City before we bought him.

Couldnt quite bring yourself to admit  that Dave was 100% right could you

Well, it´s a quote from somebody whose trustworthiness I don´t know (Mallorca´s chairman). You can´t know 100% either whether a club bid 8 million for him in January. I remember the quote as saying they had asked for 8 million from Portsmouth, not it being an offer. I apologised for being wrong and coming on a bit strong.. What more do you want?

Couldnt quite bring yourself to admit  that Dave was 100% right could you

Well, it´s a quote from somebody whose trustworthiness I don´t know (Mallorca´s chairman). You can´t know 100% either whether a club bid 8 million for him in January. I remember the quote as saying they had asked for 8 million from Portsmouth, not it being an offer. I apologised for being wrong and coming on a bit strong.. What more do you want?

Nowt mate. Just yanking your chain. There has been a fair bit of to-ing and fro-ing over this whole thread and it just made me smile that it still couldnt be brought to an ultimate conclusion

No offence meant

Woo! We've signed someone! All very meh, as I don't know how good or bad he is. Any extra body helps though, we'll just have to wait and see how he gets on.

Of course I'll give him a chance. But I'd loved to have seen the reaction had Souness or Roeder made this signing.