Danny Guthrie signed from Liverpool on 4 year deal

Guest Redcar Mag

He is going to be the next Steven Gerrard this lad, and if we sign him that would be great.

I keep reading that one and I really can't work out if it's sarcasm or not :lol:

Judging by the other posts on that page though, probably not!  :kasper:

Nice to see anyway, I'm going to shamlessly allow those Bolton fans to raise my optimism that he's a canny buy and not bother reading the posts after he signed for us  :smug:

"He's better than half the muppets that get in the England Squad not mentioning any names Jermain "what am i doing, what is this round object" Jenas."

I'm liking the Bolton fans more and more by the second.

Guest Mucky01

as some of those Bolton fans realise, Guthrie is a bit lightweight – especially for their style of football. But Sammy Lee got him in as he new he’s a good footballer as he tried to change their style, but his form not surprisingly dropped under Megson’s route 1 coaching, he was always going to be a fish out of water.

He will suit KK’s style of play more than he would ever at Bolton. A young squad player with potential, what we needed, as we were so reliant on kak squad players in midfield last season – who weren’t even capable of passing and moving.

So Bolton fans were overwhelmingly in favour of signing him (less than 5% against),  but since he's joined us apparently he's shit.  There's a surprise.

The thing is that most of the Bolton and Liverpool fans admit that he has some quality about him in the sense that he tries to play good quality football. He may not quite be pulling off all the things he is trying to do yet, but at least he has the mindset, so now its a case of him learning how to put it all together. Who better to help him achieve this than Keegan?

It's just a good solid move this one.

I don't see him as a regular 1st team starter straight away.

But to have a sub that can pass and be at least some what effective when coming on is 10 times better than playing smith in midfield.

Just give the lad a chance and he could be the new Rob Lee.  (I HOPE)

I remember being very "meh" when during his first stint in charge Keegan signed a 26 year old midfielder from Championship side Charlton for 700k.

Still, Rob Lee turned out all right, didn't he?

Of course, although people have much more access to watching football these days, so more people are aware of him. I would guess that not many Newcastle fans had heard of Rob Lee, whereas with Sky and the internet, a lot more are aware of Guthrie.

I think we're building a great reserve team tbh. I just can't wait to see some real quality added to the first team.*

*Not talking about our first signing by the way ;)

Guest Mucky01

"He's a bit lightweight"

What do we consider as lightweight?

Two examples off the top of my head, Juninho Paulista and Shaun Wright-Phillips are lightweight but did/do well in the Premier League.

as in Guthrie and (more so) SWP are too lightweight for Bolton with their style of physical route one football. They’re more suited to a ‘carpet football’ playing team – is that clear enough then?

Perhaps considering how we only heard about this transfer from those discreet people at Bolton last month, yet signed him a month later without a whisper to the media, it is now possible to appreciate how long it takes to seal a deal these days, and realise that their could be numerous other concurrent deals in the pipeline.

Southampton fans seem to rate him from his spell there

http://www.thesaintsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55244

"Great player, ability to play at pace and in comngested areas. Not hard to see that he was good enough for the higher level. Not hard to see why we struggled so badly last season having lost him, Baird, Bales, Jones and Pele."

Need to be registered to view, but there are some weird things at the bottom of that thread.

Interesting to read the difference between their comments then, when he was with them, and now he's joined us. Sour grapes or what?

Happens with every club's fans everywhere, including us.  We're no better (and no worse) than any other club's set of fans for this kind of thing: there is a bazillion-page thread on Luka Modric on these boards to prove it...