Cheer up Toon's Taylor!

Dave

He has improved, and he's worth a lot more to the team than most of the players we've been paying since he's been here.

Maybe he should get himself thrown in jail if he wants £60kpw eh? Or miss two full seasons with injury for £120kpw, or just be selected for national duty only for £60kpw again.

No wonder he's pissed off.

So does he not deserve a new contract then?

He's hardly improved since he played his first game when Bobby was here, he had a lot of promise for a young lad but I'm not sure that he's really got his game together, some of that can be because of who he had to play with but that's an easy excuse.  Yes he can have good games but he has as many poor games as good ones.

How much Owen and Barton get paid has nothing to do with how much Taylor should be paid, and they don't get it for being injured or going to prison.

Does he deserve a new contract?  Yes, when his old one runs out.

Did people know that Steven Taylor's tackle success ratio is way inferior to the other defenders here:

Defender

Habib Beye 95 77,9% 49

José Enrique Sanchez Diaz 54 85,2% 41

Abdoulaye Faye 47 87,2% 36

Steven Taylor 42 64,3% 36

Claudio Caçapa 32 71,9% 30

Stephen Carr 11 81,8% 18

David Edgar 5 100,0% 2

Andy Carroll 3 66,7% 1

Peter Ramage 1 100,0% 0

Celestine Babayaro 0 N/A 0

Ben Tozer 0 N/A 0

Tamas Kadar 0 N/A 0

Taylor deserves his new contract, could be starting week in week out here for the rest of his career if he continues to improve.

continues to improve?

has the world gone mad? when has he improved, he's the same player he was 3 years ago

He has improved, and he's worth a lot more to the team than most of the players we've been paying since he's been here.

Maybe he should get himself thrown in jail if he wants £60kpw eh? Or miss two full seasons with injury for £120kpw, or just be selected for national duty only for £60kpw again.

No wonder he's pissed off.

So does he not deserve a new contract then?

He's hardly improved since he played his first game when Bobby was here, he had a lot of promise for a young lad but I'm not sure that he's really got his game together, some of that can be because of who he had to play with but that's an easy excuse.  Yes he can have good games but he has as many poor games as good ones.

How much Owen and Barton get paid has nothing to do with how much Taylor should be paid, and they don't get it for being injured or going to prison.

Does he deserve a new contract?  Yes, when his old one runs out.

His contract was running out unless you'd wait until 2009 till you offer him a new contract?

Well done, and you knock FS for being stupid.  :yikes:

Most clubs would have had this sorted a year ago, or preferably sorted and look what happens when you dont; Flamini, bet Wenger is kicking himself he didn't make more of an attempt to sign him up last summer or even better before then. All of a sudden he's one of Wenger's best players and leaves for free, and we laugh at Wenger for it. Massive massive mistake from him, very unlike him but he thought Diarra was better and Flamini was expendable. But let Taylor's contract run to the end and then offer him a new one, no way will he be pissed off for leaving it so late and be tempted to leave for fuk all.

Guest Heneage

Give the lad a break, hes had more partners than Callum Best, and is only in his early 20's. Nesta hit his peak around 26-27.

Taylor deserves his new contract, could be starting week in week out here for the rest of his career if he continues to improve.

continues to improve?

has the world gone mad? when has he improved, he's the same player he was 3 years ago

I can't understand how you see no improvement. Do you know what it takes to be a good centre back?

Did people know that Steven Taylor's tackle success ratio is way inferior to the other defenders here:

Defender

Habib Beye 95 77,9% 49

José Enrique Sanchez Diaz 54 85,2% 41

Abdoulaye Faye 47 87,2% 36

Steven Taylor 42 64,3% 36

Claudio Caçapa 32 71,9% 30

Stephen Carr 11 81,8% 18

David Edgar 5 100,0% 2

Andy Carroll 3 66,7% 1

Peter Ramage 1 100,0% 0

Celestine Babayaro 0 N/A 0

Ben Tozer 0 N/A 0

Tamas Kadar 0 N/A 0

And Taylor's pass rate is higher than all the 1st team defenders we've got bar Cacapa, Taylor must be a closet Deco eh?

Statistics can prove anything.

continues to improve?

I can't understand how you see no improvement. Do you know what it takes to be a good centre back?

He was Bramble's biggest fan on this board. Read in to that what you will.

I reckon renewing 12 months before the old one is up is an acceptable time to do it.

It's borderline dangerous, but acceptable if it comes off.

It is borderline dangerous, but on the other hand it means people have to prove their worth. If you only start to think about the situation with 12 months left (which is what I believe Wenger did with Flamini) then you might be in trouble.

continues to improve?

too right i do, i've played CB all my life. Taylor is the same, slow, rash, misjudging defender he was under Souness, how can you see an improvement?

at least a quarter of the goals we've conceded this season can be attributed to him, Everton (a) last game was a key example, Horrific defending

I reckon renewing 12 months before the old one is up is an acceptable time to do it.

It is borderline dangerous, but on the other hand it means people have to prove their worth. If you only start to think about the situation with 12 months left (which is what I believe Wenger did with Flamini) then you might be in trouble.

But that's what we've done, and the deal isn't signed yet.

We know he will though, all he wants to do is stay and be the best he can be for the club, had he been an imported teen with an unloyal personality (ie Zoggy and why he was sharply offered a new deal) i reckon we all would be bricking losing out on Taylor's transfer fee next summer.

We know he will though, all he wants to do is stay and be the best he can be for the club, had he been an imported teen with an unloyal personality (ie Zoggy and why he was sharply offered a new deal) i reckon we all would be bricking losing out on Taylor's transfer fee next summer.

Hasn't there been talk about Taylor as regards his contract for ages? I reckon we've been negotiating a while.

Hasn't there been talk about Taylor as regards his contract for ages? I reckon we've been negotiating a while.

1 Contract offer in 2007, around November i think it was, then nothing since.

His contract was running out unless you'd wait until 2009 till you offer him a new contract?

Most clubs would have had this sorted a year ago, or preferably sorted and look what happens when you dont; Flamini, bet Wenger is kicking himself he didn't make more of an attempt to sign him up last summer or even better before then. All of a sudden he's one of Wenger's best players and leaves for free, and we laugh at Wenger for it. Massive massive mistake from him, very unlike him but he thought Diarra was better and Flamini was expendable. But let Taylor's contract run to the end and then offer him a new one, no way will he be pissed off for leaving it so late and be tempted to leave for fuk all.

You asked if he deserved a new contract and I said that he did, when his current one runs out, I didn't say we shouldn't negotiate now though. 

You asked if he deserved a new contract and I said that he did, when his current one runs out, I didn't say we shouldn't negotiate now though. 

But that means it hasn't ran out, strange contradiction no?

continues to improve?

too right i do, i've played CB all my life. Taylor is the same, slow, rash, misjudging defender he was under Souness, how can you see an improvement?

at least a quarter of the goals we've conceded this season can be attributed to him, Everton (a) last game was a key example, Horrific defending

As a fellow centre back, I think we must have very different attitudes to defending. Everton away he was poor but it was so meaningless and we had such a poor team out. A quarter of our goals is a ridiculous statement, towards the end when him and faye were building a good partnership he outshone Faye on a number of occasions.

Taylor isn't snails pace, his basic defensive attributes have improved and he has held our defense together over the past few seasons.

As for Taylor, thank Christ, but any other club would never have let his contract run down so close to a year when the player was begging for a new deal.

Amateurs.

Of course its much more professional to just give the player whatever wage he demands the moment he clicks his fingers right?..  Ever think they may have called Taylors bluff and because of that he's now dropped his demands to a more reasonable level?