Rookie ref Attwell secures shock promotion to the Premier League

Dokko

Rookie ref Attwell secures shock promotion to the Premier League

The Premier League will have the youngest referee in its history next season.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/06/24/article-0-01BA677100000578-158_306x480.jpg

At just 25, little-known Stuart Attwell is also thought to be the youngest ever official to reach the top flight of English football.

It is a meteoric rise for the Warwickshire referee in that it comes after just one season in the Football League.

Attwell's shock promotion was confirmed to Sportsmail last night by Professional Game Match Officials as he joins Keith Hackett's select group for  the new season.

He is the new record holder by the considerable margin of four years. Mark Clattenburg was 29 when he become the previous youngest in 2004.

Hackett has long been committed to bringing officials through earlier, effectively lengthening a career that lasts only to the age of 48 but also allowing referees to operate at a high level when their fitness is at its peak.

Hackett also wants a balance between experience and youth. Michael Jones — a second League referee promoted for Premiership duty yesterday — is a seasoned campaigner of 40.

But the spotlight will fall on Nuneaton-based Attwell. He made his League debut on August 11 last season at Edgar Street for a League Two game between Hereford and Rotherham and ended the campaign by taking charge of the League Two play-off final at Wembley between Rochdale and Stockport.

Attwell has a degree in sports science and works for UK Sport.

Good on him.

That said, that whole must-retire-at-48 thing is a joke. Why does it matter if they're still fit enough? How are they all of a sudden incapable? Obviously, stand-out cases such as Jeff Winter do little to secure the point i'm making, but when you consider they chucked Collina purely because he surpassed the age limit - it was a bit of a farce really.

Good on him.

That said, that whole must-retire-at-48 thing is a joke. Why does it matter if they're still fit enough? How are they all of a sudden incapable? Obviously, stand-out cases such as Jeff Winter do little to secure the point i'm making, but when you consider they chucked Collina purely because he surpassed the age limit - it was a bit of a farce really.

Shame when Collina was more famous than 80% of the Players in Serie A.

Paul Mosley will break his record, quite easily may I add.

Is he that good?

PS: Paul Mosley is such a Ref's name.

He puts Collina to shame, just he's got worse hair.

How much do referee's at this level get paid?

Off the top of my head its around £100-150k a year.

Though i'm trying to think back years since they've been getting paid.

Guest Jungle Barry

I thought I read around the time they went pro that their basic salary would be 62k

Not sure how long ref's have been professional so it may have risen by now