Jonas Gutierrez signed from Mallorca on 5 year deal

magorific

Guest Howaythetoon

Black people dont tend to have a problem shooting with power!!

Joke people, i'm joking :)

Power in a shot is a combination of strength, speed and technique.

Different examples

Beckham - Technique

Shearer - Strength

Henry - Speed

They obviously have a bit of all 3 but these are their main attributes

All technique, nowt to do with strength or speed.

Disagree. Technique is fine when you want to 'ping' a ball cross field, however to create shooting power you need a combination of the 3. Beckham dosnt have a wickedly powerful shot as Martins, Shearer or Robert had, because he does not have the leg speed or strength that they have.

Technique is the "how" in regards to a player doing something, in this case shooting. It has nothing to do with speed or leg strength, it is about the swinging technique, part of foot used, body posture, timing, balance etc. - fuck all to do with how strong a player's legs are or how quick he is.

For example the traditional method of striking the ball hard is head and knee over the ball, back straight, standing leg about a ball's width away from the ball and pointing in the direction where you intend the ball to go, leg to swing like an axe, laces and follow through.

There is no mention of speed and leg strength because it has fuck all to do with power.

By the way shooting is all about accuracy and not power, 9 times out of 10 unless you have amazing technique your power shots will go high or wide or straight at the 'keeper.

Shearer had amazing shooting technique so he could hit the ball hard and get it on target or hit the back of the net, and his secret? A wall which he would bang the ball off constantly when he was a bairn, also the best method to develop your weaker foot.

Back to power, angles and motion are also important.

Guest Heneage

So you are saying they do? Racist.

Jonas: NUFC new boys must be up for the fight

NEWCASTLE United winger Jonas Gutierrez has warned Toon new boys Kevin Nolan and Ryan Taylor that they must be up for the fight that lies ahead.

The Argentine winger won the man-of-the-match award in the derby game with Sunderland but is already focusing on the crunch clash at West Brom on Saturday.

Failure to win for United could see them crash to the bottom of the table – and Jonas admits Newcastle’s form has been causing him sleepless nights, with the 40-point safety target still 16 points away with 14 games to go.

Gutierrez told the Chronicle: “We have signed new players but they must be aware of the fight we face.

“I don’t think we can afford to lose more matches.

“We were a team that was hard to beat earlier in the season.

“But we’ve struggled because of the injuries.

“Now with new players coming in we must regroup and look to fight our way out of it.”

Toon boss Joe Kinnear has conceded that a huge fight against survival is all Newcastle have to play for in the remainder of the season, and Gutierrez echoed his concerns.

He said: “I will feel a lot happier when we reach 40 points.

“If we can get near that we will be safe.

“But until we reach it we have to keep looking behind us. All the matches will be very difficult.

“But we can only focus on one at a time.

“These are like cup finals for us.”

Newcastle put in a much- improved performance in the second period against Sunderland but still only salvaged a point.

United have picked up just two points from a possible 12 since being crushed 5-1 by Liverpool.

Gutierrez admits that United must start turning performances into wins.

He added: “We felt we had a lot of opportunities to win the game against Sunderland.

“Sadly we didn’t show enough conviction, but hopefully we can pick that up against West Brom.”

Gutierrez was delighted to see United colleague Shola Ameobi smash home the equaliser against the Wearsiders, and hopes that the goal on his return will lead to more strikes for the Nigerian-born player.

He said: “It was a good moment for Shola to score on his comeback from injury.

“Now I hope he can stay fit and get more goals.

“He is certainly going to be a key player for us because he has a lot of experience with this club.”

Guest optimistic nit

Power in a shot is a combination of strength, speed and technique.

Different examples

Beckham - Technique

Shearer - Strength

Henry - Speed

They obviously have a bit of all 3 but these are their main attributes

All technique, nowt to do with strength or speed.

Disagree. Technique is fine when you want to 'ping' a ball cross field, however to create shooting power you need a combination of the 3. Beckham dosnt have a wickedly powerful shot as Martins, Shearer or Robert had, because he does not have the leg speed or strength that they have.

i dont have a clue what point you're trying to make here. power is fine, but while you can still hit a good shot without power if you have really good technique, if you're powerful but have poor shooting technique you will be shit at shooting. most of the more powerful players are defenders and def mids, who also coincidently can't shoot for shit (most of them). power is an added bonus, but not at all neccicary to score.

Power in a shot comes from speed and accuracy in the movement of the leg when taking the shot. Jonas certainly has the first quality.

It's also Owen's major flaw. Since the knee injury he's lost speed in his leg when going for the shot, equalling in weak shots almost all of the time.

That's my understanding of shooting and power anyway as it was explained to me by coaches when I played more.

Power (and shooting in general) is all about technique and not speed or strength, see goal-kicks for a prime example of using technique to strike the ball hard. It has nothing to do with strength or speed. Balance/body posture is also a major factor, although body posture comes under technique.

Speed of the kick by the way, not the speed of the player in general.

Guest Howaythetoon

Power in a shot comes from speed and accuracy in the movement of the leg when taking the shot. Jonas certainly has the first quality.

It's also Owen's major flaw. Since the knee injury he's lost speed in his leg when going for the shot, equalling in weak shots almost all of the time.

That's my understanding of shooting and power anyway as it was explained to me by coaches when I played more.

Power (and shooting in general) is all about technique and not speed or strength, see goal-kicks for a prime example of using technique to strike the ball hard. It has nothing to do with strength or speed. Balance/body posture is also a major factor, although body posture comes under technique.

Speed of the kick by the way, not the speed of the player in general.

The speed in which the leg swings or kicks has little to nothing to with with the force of impact to ball, it is technique which would be how the player in question swings his leg or kicks the ball not how quick he can swing or kick it.

The ankle and foot movement will actually determine the level of power more than the speed of the swing/kick or size of thigh muscle. This is why Martins (and Ronaldo) can hit the ball hard without much back lift which translates as swinging the leg to kick the ball. They and strikers of a ball like them invariably lock their ankle (so to speak) and thus turn their foot into a club.

If you lock your ankle, the foot isn't all bendy/floppy, a force of resistance is created, which pushes the ball ball faster.

Kick a ball off a wall and it will come back to you harder and faster than it left your foot even if you tap it, locking the ankle has a similar effect as the wall. Incidentally this is why a wall is a superb tool to develop ball control, reflexes and the weaker foot and of course, shooting technique as Shearer discovered when he was a bairn.

What rubbish, Wright-Phillips and Van Persie have two of the most powerful shots about and they're not exactly the most 'strong'.

I still don't understand how he gets so much power in his shots, I mean he hardly moves his foot, strikes it like he's taped it yet the ball flies at the net/someone at like 100mph.. it's ridiculous.

Guest Howaythetoon

What rubbish, Wright-Phillips and Van Persie have two of the most powerful shots about and they're not exactly the most 'strong'.

I still don't understand how he gets so much power in his shots, I mean he hardly moves his foot, strikes it like he's taped it yet the ball flies at the net/someone at like 100mph.. it's ridiculous.

He too 'locks' his ankle.

Imagine Gutierrez in a team like Liverpool or Chelsea. He would be amazing, this guy is amazing for the Argentine nationalt eam, hes trying to much because our whole freaking squad is just s***. Wouldn't surprise me if he's out back to La Liga or some other top clubs in June. Bassong too.

he's a PL player, he's said so himself. that said can see teams in europe going for him in the summer. not sure if they will get him, but i can see them trying.

I remember when he was playing for Keegan.

Attacking movement was exceptional throughout the team, which allowed Jonas to get involved in some really good passing moves, and he could run the full length of the pitch.

This doesn't happen anymore, because Kinnear spends four days out of five coacching defending.

Hence we are completely impotent.

Kinnear Out!

you know kinnear does that james? are you at the training ground 5 days a week?

we're completely impotent because we have martins and owen out injured. attacking movement wasn't bad vs the mackems, we just couldn't get shola or andy to move their lanky arses into any sort of space.

i'm not defending kinnear here btw, he's the worst manager i've ever seen both in a tactical sense and in a "what a c***" sense.

Kinnear has said that's what he does.

Yes, he did.

Guest Heneage

i'd happily take 11 players with smaller hearts than him if they all had his ability

I remember when we got him, a lot of hype, big fee, what a player.  :smitten:

Guest timmy boy

How we could do with someone who has the ability of Robert now, some of his goals were ridiculously good. The reverse bicycle kick v Fulham. The free kicks v Derby and Liverpool and that rocket he scored at Goodison park from a Woodgate pass. On his day he really was an awesome player to have, he had the ability to create some thing out of nothing, which we now lack. Only Martins can sporadically do this.

How we could do with someone who has the ability of Robert now, some of his goals were ridiculously good. The reverse bicycle kick v Fulham. The free kicks v Derby and Liverpool and that rocket he scored at Goodison park from a Woodgate pass. On his day he really was an awesome player to have, he had the ability to create some thing out of nothing, which we now lack. Only Martins can sporadically do this.

Somebody who could check back inside, with an accompanying shot to worry the keeper, is a missing ingredient right now. Guiterrez hasn't won me over as an attacking wide player thanks to his finished product - or lack of.

Those who bashed Robert for not having physical presence from a defensive standpoint rarely mentioned or simply overlooked his positional play in the final 1/3. We need that right now. I'd take that attacking element - Robert - over Guiterrez's more forceful defensive shift.

Goal returns from the midfield line is what seperates the top 4/6 from the also rans, and in our case with an injury depleted and largely unproductive strikeforce  it could be well be a major deciding factor between us staying up and going down this season.

Agree with much of that.

As well as being one of the elite 'pure' finishers of his generation in Serie-A former Lazio striker - Signori i think - used to hit a powerful penalty and many of them were aimed at either top corner. He was also a dangerous taker of set-pieces. All was accomplished from a one-two step take-off prior to shooting, and the same player was never blessed with Owen's pre-injury/ies athletic attributes.

As you say, a blend of technique - ie. ball striking - and balance.

Guest optimistic nit

Imagine Gutierrez in a team like Liverpool or Chelsea. He would be amazing, this guy is amazing for the Argentine nationalt eam, hes trying to much because our whole freaking squad is just s***. Wouldn't surprise me if he's out back to La Liga or some other top clubs in June. Bassong too.

he's a PL player, he's said so himself. that said can see teams in europe going for him in the summer. not sure if they will get him, but i can see them trying.

I remember when he was playing for Keegan.

Attacking movement was exceptional throughout the team, which allowed Jonas to get involved in some really good passing moves, and he could run the full length of the pitch.

This doesn't happen anymore, because Kinnear spends four days out of five coacching defending.

Hence we are completely impotent.

Kinnear Out!

you know kinnear does that james? are you at the training ground 5 days a week?

we're completely impotent because we have martins and owen out injured. attacking movement wasn't bad vs the mackems, we just couldn't get shola or andy to move their lanky arses into any sort of space.

i'm not defending kinnear here btw, he's the worst manager i've ever seen both in a tactical sense and in a "what a c***" sense.

Kinnear has said that's what he does.

Yes, he did.

oh really? :lol: fair enough.

It's not all about technique, though you certainly don't have to be powerful to have a powerful shot. In the same way, you don't have to  have excellent technique to be able to blast it, I'd say our very own Martins is proof of that. He just twats the ball as hard as he can, and that's where he gets his power from.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Oba's striking technique is the best part of his technique. His first touch is gash and close control not much better.

Guest Howaythetoon

It's not all about technique, though you certainly don't have to be powerful to have a powerful shot. In the same way, you don't have to  have excellent technique to be able to blast it, I'd say our very own Martins is proof of that. He just twats the ball as hard as he can, and that's where he gets his power from.

What Ass9 said.