Jonas Gutierrez signed from Mallorca on 5 year deal

magorific

I've seen Jonas Gutierrez compared to Robert and Ginola but with tracking back abilities. He's started well and seems to have settled into the 'English game' so far but he doesn't seem to have the offensive abilities of Robert or Ginola. He is good at running at people but doesn't seem to get into shooting positions. He isn't well known for scoring goals (4 in his time in Spain isn't it?).

Sadly i agree. I think he's being slightly over hyped by a few. When he gets the opportunity to cross he is very good but i think i remember him crossing the ball once last night.

He wasn't playing out wide though last night.

Good point but i don't think i saw one cross againt Bolton either. I like the guy, don't get me wrong but for someone with such a good cross he doesn't so it often enough. Still plenty of time for that to change.

That's what I was saying. From what I've seen of him so far, I like him and I'm glad we've got him. The thing is, I don't think he is going to chip in many goals. I think it's wrong to compare him to Robert and Ginola. That's a lazy press comparison. He plays left wing so let's compare him to Robert and Ginola.

I've seen Jonas Gutierrez compared to Robert and Ginola but with tracking back abilities. He's started well and seems to have settled into the 'English game' so far but he doesn't seem to have the offensive abilities of Robert or Ginola. He is good at running at people but doesn't seem to get into shooting positions. He isn't well known for scoring goals (4 in his time in Spain isn't it?).

Sadly i agree. I think he's being slightly over hyped by a few. When he gets the opportunity to cross he is very good but i think i remember him crossing the ball once last night.

He wasn't playing out wide though last night.

Good point but i don't think i saw one cross againt Bolton either. I like the guy, don't get me wrong but for someone with such a good cross he doesn't so it often enough. Still plenty of time for that to change.

I don't think he's a classic winger as such though. He's more a direct runner with the ball. I also think he'll be better on the left as he looks far more dangerous when cutting in. Although if we want more crossing etc from him out on the right would be his best bet. But he does have a canny left peg on him mind.

what's with the crossing obsession.. several people complained in the match thread how N'Zogbia and Enrique didn't cross enough in the penalty area.. now Jonas..

first of all, we didn't have anybody to aim for in the opposition box yesterday.. and even if Milner or Jonas managed to position themselves there, they are hardly gonna out-jump two large fuckers, are they..

I think it's evident that Keegan has instructed the players to cut down to minimum the Milner type crossing - when a player sends the ball in the box without aiming at anything in particular.. we seem to play with a lot of short passes and one-twos which is a rather welcome change from previous seasons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mallorca launch Gutiérrez fee claim

Oct 16 2008 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

NEWCASTLE United could still have to pay as much as £8m for Argentinian winger Jonás Gutiérrez after his former club Real Mallorca launched a legal challenge against his summer move to the Premier League.

Gutiérrez’s switch to Newcastle has whipped up a storm of controversy in Spain as both Mallorca and Argentina side Velez Sarsfield claimed to hold the player’s registration and both insisted they were owed a fee by the Magpies.

However, United officials have refused to pay either club as they believe the winger was a free agent when they signed him after he walked away from his contract with the La Liga side to facilitate the move.

This has been hotly contested by Mallorca who rejected an £8m offer for the player from Portsmouth back in January and who insist they should have received a similar fee in compensation from Newcastle when Gutiérrez engineered his move to England.

According to Gutiérrez, he was entitled to negotiate his own transfer without Mallorca’s permission as he had taken advantage of Fifa’s Article 17 – commonly known as the Webster ruling after the test case involving the Hearts defender Andy Webster – which enables players under the age of 28 to buy themselves out of a contract three years after the deal was signed.

The Argentina international, who is set to return for Newcastle against Manchester City on Monday night following his recovery from a broken collarbone, had moved to Mallorca in 2005 after winning the title with Sarsfield.

That Fifa ruling, however, has not stopped Mallorca from pursuing their claim for compensation and a court date has been set by a judge for February. The case will be heard in Spain and, if successful, Newcastle will be forced to find the money. Mallorca’s lawyer Vicente Morales said: “Newcastle are responsible. Newcastle have signed Jonas without paying a Euro.”

The prospect of such a court ruling might be a hindrance to the Magpies should they attempt to strengthen the squad during the January transfer window, whoever is in control of the club.

Present owner Mike Ashley has privately indicated he will not provide any money to invest in the team in the New Year, although he may well be forced to if he has not found a buyer willing to match his £300m asking price. Despite the Magpies’ spirited comeback against Everton, they remain in the bottom three and the squad still looks short in several key departments, most notably in defence.

Ashley is keen to sell, but he will also realise he needs to ensure he is not left trying to sell a club which is in danger of suffering the financial disaster of relegation to the Championship.

Should a takeover deal be completed before then, the new owners will also need to be aware of the potential added cost of Mallorca’s compensation claim.

Wow ... so it appears we got him for free without paying a single euro.

Amazing.

We didn't pay anything to Mallorca. That doesn't mean we didn't pay Gutiérrez himself a hefty signing on bonus to cover the compo he'll have to pay Mallorca.

He was a free agent when we signed him. This compensation claim has nothing to do with us & should be thrown out of court.

Wow ... so it appears we got him for free without paying a single euro.

Amazing.

We didn't pay anything to Mallorca. That doesn't mean we didn't pay Gutiérrez himself a hefty signing on bonus to cover the compo he'll have to pay Mallorca.

He was a free agent when we signed him. This compensation claim has nothing to do with us & should be thrown out of court.

The best line is:

That Fifa ruling, however, has not stopped Mallorca from pursuing their claim for compensation and a court date has been set by a judge for February.

In other words "fuck the rules, you give us money now!"

• 3 weeks later...

Jonas Vows To Send Toon Temperatures Soaring

By Craig Hope

JONAS Gutierrez insists that he'll be doing all he can to turn up the temperature inside St.James' Park on Monday night with Aston Villa the visitors to Barrack Road.

The former Real Mallorca ace is used to the warmer climes of the Mediterranean island having spent three seasons with the La Liga outfit before his summer switch to Tyneside.

And, while Jonas donned his woolly hat and gloves for the first time during training this weekend, the Argentine wing-king is hoping that the Magpies won't be caught cold when they face Martin O'Neill's high-flyers.

"The weather is a little different in Newcastle compared to Mallorca," he told nufcTV.

"But I knew that the cold would come, it will get better once I get used to it.

"But it won't be a problem, we want to keep the fans warm tonight.

"It's important to take three points again.

"Villa have a lot of quality and we will have to fight.

"All of the Premier League matches are like this though.

"That is what makes it such a great competition.

"It is going to be hard but we'll be looking to get three points."

Jonas only returned to the United starting XI during Tuesday's 2-1 win over West Brom having been sidelined because of a cracked collarbone since the beginning of September.

But the 25-year-old insists that his injury problems are now firmly behind him, adding: "The shoulder feels very good.

"I have had to take a lot of care to make sure the problem doesn't get worse.

"It's very good at the moment.

"I have been playing with protection so I don't expect any more problems from my shoulder.

"I have had an extra few days to work on my fitness."

By Craig Hope

JONAS Gutierrez insists that he'll be doing all he can to turn up the temperature inside St.James' Park on Monday night with Aston Villa the visitors to Barrack Road.

The former Real Mallorca ace is used to the warmer climes of the Mediterranean island having spent three seasons with the La Liga outfit before his summer switch to Tyneside.

And, while Jonas donned his woolly hat and gloves for the first time during training this weekend, the Argentine wing-king is hoping that the Magpies won't be caught cold when they face Martin O'Neill's high-flyers.

"The weather is a little different in Newcastle compared to Mallorca," he told nufcTV.

Jonas only returned to the United starting XI during Tuesday's 2-1 win over West Brom having been sidelined because of a cracked collarbone since the beginning of September.

But the 25-year-old insists that his injury problems are now firmly behind him, adding: "The shoulder feels very good.

"I have been playing with protection so I don't expect any more problems from my shoulder.

:jonas:

By Craig Hope

:jonas:

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Can't wait until he can perform like the first 45mins against West Brom for a full match.

Was nowt special against them tbh. Was the kind of performance where he didn;t do anything wrong, but didn't do anything special either. Made one or two driving runs, but that was it.

I thought he played very well in the first half against West Brom. Stuck some good balls in, ran with the ball and barely ever lost it (if at all). Definitely faded in the second half though, but that could well be down to our shocking tactics for the second half.

I havent been excited watching someopne bomb down the line at the opposition in a long time...

He looks much more comfortable on the left, however - wherever he plays - ill be happy hes on the pitch.

• 2 weeks later...

Guest Heneage

I'm not saying that, but he took time to get into the Villa game as well, I just hope we aren't rushing him back, as soon as he was fit we threw him straight in. He just needs to get set and keep to his basics.