Tony Green

Tooj

If you read the cuttings about Green on the earlier pages you will see that he himself blamed the tackle from Mel Blyth on his injury...I remember hearing about it on the day too and that was what the radio reporter said. Green might have tried to play on but if you read what he said were the extent of his injuries it is no wonder he went down in a heap...

My point was that TaylorJ had questioned jacky on 'no one anywhere near' Green when he went down when all accounts, including the player's had indicated it was a bad tackle by Mel Blyth. Then jacky comes along and reiterates his original post.

If you read the cuttings about Green on the earlier pages you will see that he himself blamed the tackle from Mel Blyth on his injury...I remember hearing about it on the day too and that was what the radio reporter said. Green might have tried to play on but if you read what he said were the extent of his injuries it is no wonder he went down in a heap...

My point was that TaylorJ had questioned jacky on 'no one anywhere near' Green when he went down when all accounts, including the player's had indicated it was a bad tackle by Mel Blyth. Then jacky comes along and reiterates his original post.

Fair enough..it was jackyj's version that I was really calling into question....when the player himself confirms that Blyth was to blame it seems cut and dried to me..

Braithwaite WAS a surgeon and he was on the board...it could have been him but the club had a reputation for not getting the best possible treatment for players in those days.

However, Green had to acknowledge retirement in 1975 and it would be over 10 years until Cruciate ligament injuries - like those which afflicted Gazza and Shearer - were satisfactorily treated and enabled players to continue their careers. Brian Clough suffered one on Boxing Day when at Sunderland and he had to finish at the age of 29...the same age as Macdonald when he had to pack in.

Medicine has come on massively since those days, thankfully we don't see as many careers going down the pan because of injuries.  In those days they'd inject a pain killer into a knee and let them play on or inject them before games to disguise the pain and let them play on and make things worse.

• 2 years later...
Guest firetotheworks

There's 45 minutes of footage of him vs Man United on Youtube now if you search for him. As you'd expect, it doesn't live up to the hype at first, but as the footage carries on he looks like a class player. He looks like a faster version of Beardsley. Imagine being that, a faster Beardsley. :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

I hate it when threads are bumped for our ex players, I was expecting RIP.

Yeah, I suddenly realised that after I posted it. Sorry.

Guest firetotheworks

Aye, the video's just pushed a little further on. I can see the reason that everyone rams him like, second half especially he's absolutely class.

Thanks for posting a recommendation for the YouTube clip. Can't recall ever having seen Tony Green play. He looked great to watch. There's a definite, pre-Pedro, Beardsley-shuffle at one point! Maybe someone should point Matt Ritchie in this direction, Green would be a great role model for him, and Ritchie has what it takes to achieve similar folk lore status.

I was at the game at Crystal Palace with my dear old dad when Tony Green went down and there was nobody near him, just turned and went down.  He was probably the best midfielder I have ever seen at this club

• 2 years later...

Green had a unique style which involved changing direction so quickly that the player he beat would become so disoriented that he would often fall over. What a player he was and I would put him at least on a par with gazza and Beardsley.