Skysports.com NUFC Season shape-up

LoveItIfWeBeatU

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11096_3771132,00.html

Some total crap said in this: -

Predicting the fortunes, activities and actions of Kevin Keegan would likely send Mystic Meg's crystal ball a little cloudy. However, Peter Fraser takes up the task as pre-season begins with changes expected at Newcastle.

What's happened so far

With critics pointing to the need for no-nonsense defenders and workmanlike performers at St James' Park, Keegan recently demonstrated he has lost none of his flair for unexpected entertainment as he completed his first pre-season signing with the capture of explosive winger Jonas Gutierrez.

The lively Argentina international, nicknamed Spiderman on account of his eye-catching goal celebrations, arrives on Tyneside from Real Mallorca on a five-year contract and comes straight out of the David Ginola mould to ensure that, if he fulfils his potential, he is bound to be a hit.

With Keegan returning for his second spell in charge of Newcastle as he replaced former boss Sam Allardyce in January, he was expected to bide his time throughout the New Year transfer window before quickly splashing the cash at the end of the 2007/08 campaign to stamp his mark on his inherited squad.

However, Keegan's only other movements have been towards trimming his less-than-watertight rearguard with David Rozehnal departing for Lazio in a £2.9million move, while fellow defender Peter Ramage left for Queens Park Rangers before the end of last season and attacking full-back Stephen Carr and young Australian winger James Troisi were released.

The above shows Keegan's delivery of a short back and sides to his squad began early, but there has been little in the way of re-growth to leave Newcastle supporters scratching their collective heads.

There will have been few tears shed as Rozehnal headed for Italy, but the Magpies faithful are eager for replacements as the name of West Ham stopper Anton Ferdinand is discussed, while Pascal Chimbonda and Reading's Nicky Shorey could offer reinforcements at full-back.

Elsewhere, there have been rumours that Joey Barton could be sacked for his off-field misdemeanours and Newcastle are keen for talks with the imprisoned midfielder. However Keegan has stood by the one-time England cap and the 25-year-old could be offered the pre-season opportunity to run off his porridge, if he is released early.

What they need

The necessity for solid defenders is more than evident after leaking 65 Premier League goals last season and Keegan will be buoyed by the positive end to contract discussions with star centre-back Steven Taylor, but Newcastle also need assurances at the opposite end of the field.

Michael Owen, who had an uneasy relationship with Keegan at international level, is holding talks with Newcastle over new terms but, with one year remaining on his current deal, for as long as the England striker fails to put pen-to-paper, speculation will mount about his future.

And with Arsenal reportedly sniffing around Obafemi Martins, and Shola Ameobi expected to move on, a new striker is likely to be high on Keegan's wish-list as doubts about the season-long fitness of Mark Viduka continue.

In midfield, James Milner is thought to be a target of Liverpool, while Republic of Ireland winger Damien Duff is set to leave, but in Gutierrez Newcastle already have a perfect replacement for either player.

Therefore, the age of Nicky Butt combined with queries about Barton's future and Alan Smith's discomfort in a deeper role, make a holding central midfielder a priority to play alongside the improving Geremi.

Birmingham midfielder Sebastian Larsson has been offered as a possible target, while Real Madrid's Julio Baptista has also been mentioned, but neither possesses the defensive qualities Newcastle appear to require.

What they'll get

At previous clubs Keegan has tended to reassure himself with tried and tested players from his past but, with a moustachioed Phillipe Albert unlikely to be tempted out of retirement and Richard Dunne committed to a new deal at Manchester City, Rangers star Carlos Cuellar would be an option.

Russian full-back Yuri Zhirkov is thought to have caught the eye at Euro 2008, but CSKA Moscow's £10million asking price could prove a little steep and Croatian Danijel Pranjic, Shorey or Chimbonda would be a more frugal choice.

Tottenham winger Aaron Lennon has struggled for first-team opportunities at White Hart Lane and is another likely arrival following the scouting work of southern-based executive director Dennis Wise, while Udinese's Switzerland international Gokhan Inler and Rosenborg playmaker Per Ciljan Skjelbred could provide midfield stability and creativity.

In attack, there has been furious back-pedalling following Euro 2008 flops from Germany striker Mario Gomez and France forward Bafetimbi Gomis, while Barcelona's Eidur Gudjohnsen has been cited in passing.

However, the likely arrival is 20-year-old Basel forward Eren Derdiyok, who represented Switzerland at this summer's European Championship, and the lofty frontman could prove a perfect foil for either Owen or Martins.

Fan's view - Tom Robinson

I think If Newcastle can sign Pablo Aimar, Carlos Cuellar and get a two-footed full-back to cover for Beye and Enrique then we could be in business. We also need a good defensive midfielder as Nicky Butt isn't going to keep going forever.

I'd also like to see Keegan sign a decent striker to cover for the Three Musketeers up front (Owen, Martins and Viduka) then we'll have an alright chance of getting top 6 next season, most likely top 8.

The season after that we can go even higher, possibly even challenge for that champions league place that we used to occupy.

Yes, we are all crying out for "workmanlike performers".  :rolleyes:

Other than the workmanlike performers bit, most of the critique is fair enough i thought.

Yes but starting with that as the main point was what annoyed me. Also the comment about leaking goals. We didn't leak as many goals once we actually started to attack other teams. Last season is hard to generalise considering it was two polar opposite managers in charge.

I do hope this bit is true though: -

"while Republic of Ireland winger Damien Duff is set to leave"

Guest Stephen927

Thought it was a decent read.

Howay the lads get a few more signings through the door and a couple more players off the wage bill  :clap2:

im more pessimistic about this season than any i can remember

Honestly? ???

Why?

I have to admit I am a little bit too, but I'm remaining patient and waiting to see what happens in the transfer market.

I do hate it how people keep pointing at our defence and not our midfield as the main area to improve. All that tells me is that they didn't watch us last season and have only looked at the stats. Lack of goals = strikers needed, goals let in = defenders needed, it's not as simple as that.

Honestly? ???

Why?

just feel the clubs above and around us are pulling further away, and clubs below us catching up in terms of quality. things might change (especially in the transfer market), but i cant see it.

Honestly? ???

Why?

just feel the clubs above and around us are pulling further away, and clubs below us catching up in terms of quality. things might change (especially in the transfer market), but i cant see it.

In one word how would you describe our season just gone?

disapointment - but if it happened again this season, it would be less of a disappointment, because i expect a lot less.

we cant sign anyone without being able to offer europe. our rivals in the market - spurs, city, portsmouth - all can.

disapointment - but if it happened again this season, it would be less of a disappointment, because i expect a lot less.

we cant sign anyone without being able to offer europe. our rivals in the market - spurs, city, portsmouth - all can.

I'd use the word 'pathetic' tbh, and we still finished only six points off the top half. Barring the top four and a couple of steady improvers I don't think we're being left behind at all.

I'm expecting more this year, not less. And on the basis of the above, that means top half at least. With Keegan being a fan of flowing football I can't see what's not to look forward to, really.

Add the couple of signings we're all hoping for and I'm even more optimistic.

I do hate it how people keep pointing at our defence and not our midfield as the main area to improve. All that tells me is that they didn't watch us last season and have only looked at the stats. Lack of goals = strikers needed, goals let in = defenders needed, it's not as simple as that.

I agree its annoying but this is the world we live in. Some people only see highlights or the goals and will assume that the defence has dropped a clanger again to let the other teams score.  What they wont see or choose to  see is the failure further up the pitch which puts presure on the defence.

I have to say that that article is a completely nothing article. There's just nothing there. As someone else pointed out it's so easy to look at NUFC from the outside and say "Well they can't defend", that might be true but there's a hell of a lot more to it than just whom we employ in our back four.

I'm sorry but that's a crap article.

As for the side deabte there, I too am  not overly excited, but neither was I for Roeder's full season. I was genuinely excited for last season, I was hoodwinked by Sam, thinking he was at last a decent appointment.

Dave, for a pleasant surprise ;P, makes a good point, really outside the top 4 there's nothing in this league, we are all pretty much of a muchness. It's not that difficult to go from near the relgation zone to near the european spots as Man City and West Ham proved last year. Villa improved greatly too in a short time, Portsmouth can be added to that listand we've even seen the likes of Wigan and Reading flirting with UEFA cup slots.

I'd use the word 'pathetic' tbh, and we still finished only six points off the top half. Barring the top four and a couple of steady improvers I don't think we're being left behind at all.

I'm expecting more this year, not less. And on the basis of the above, that means top half at least. With Keegan being a fan of flowing football I can't see what's not to look forward to, really.

Add the couple of signings we're all hoping for and I'm even more optimistic.

Maybe with a couple of signings, but where are they coming from? Yes the window IS only open 9 days, but with KK saying he'll bring in 3 or 4, with Jonas already in, we realistically need 2 Def (1 CB, 1 FB) 2 Mid (Holding and creative player) and prob 1 Striker. Our squad is so thin at the minute we really need to be bringing in maybe 6 players, maybe not automatic starters but ones like Larrson who will push for a starting place.

I am a tad pessimistic about this season, prob as i'm very impatient! But i have every faith in KK and his ability to spring a surprise or two! Its just when teams like spurs and pompey have already signed 3-4 players and got in before anyone had a chance to, makes me wonder what we are doing at times.

We shall wait and see....

Pardon my french... but this is what I just put on Toon Ultras when this topic was discussed....

That was the most wankest page for comments everywhere. Dont Sky pick them out from a load of comments too? If so they are absolute twats. They're making it out as though Keegan, Ashley and the rest of our staff are w***. Fair enough, they may not be Ferguson, Queiroz and co but what do they expect?!?!

It's almost as though Sky are jumping on the badnwagon of the likes of the BBC, ITV and all the press. f***ing knobheads.

:angry:

Guest neesy111

I think the league is wank except the top four teams and on top of that Liverpool are god awful to watch.

totally agree, only man utd and arsenal we're worth watching last season

if we get the right players, then i believe top 6 is achieveable

we could of easily finished top 8 if we didn't have that mid-season crisis

The league is very average except the top 3 IMO, we'll do OK if we flesh out the squad a bit more.

Sick of articles like that, we could do with a FB but defenders definitely aren't our problem at the moment. It's like they copy and pasted some of that from every season preview for the last 10 years.

I think the league is wank except the top four teams and on top of that Liverpool are god awful to watch.

totally agree, only man utd and arsenal we're worth watching last season

if we get the right players, then i believe top 6 is achieveable

we could of easily finished top 8 if we didn't have that mid-season crisis

you mean that mid season crisis when we played some good teams and they tore us to shreds?  that one?

(just kidding, kind of)