Another transfer done and dusted in a few hours...

Dave

Guest neesy111

Shame the Modric transfer (or lack of it) was not so efficient.

It is a shame and shows what can go wrong when potential deals are made public, all the more reason to keep them quiet.

the club blame the chronicle 4 this, this is why they've veen cut off from the club completely now (except taylor of course)

well the club actually said they we're not happy with the deal being public knowledge, and how the fuck does any fan know details of what happened with the agent ffs

Could it be that in recent weeks  no players or any of the 1st team football coaching staff have spoke to the Chron because they have been on holiday. Since the players return I have seen interviews in the Chron with Edgar, Carroll, Harper & Given + Taylor.

As for the club blaming the Chron for not signing Modric pass me the straws your clutching at bro. It wasn't that long James (iirc) was blaming sinister controlling agents.

yeah, i thought the inside track was his agent decided on spurs despite us bidding more and offering more wages right?  what the fucks that got to with anything being leaked to the press?  they decided not to talk to us from what i've heard here

Lets see ...

Option 1: act like Spurs, w*** yourselves off over the bajillions of signings you get linked with every day, look like twats when the vast majority (who most people have only ever "seen" on FM anyway)  dont sign, but hey, you get a month or two of jealousy from other fans on their message boards because you're acting like Charlie Big Bollocks in the transfer market.

Option 2: Quietly go about acquiring the players you want, nothing breaking until they sign and it is all done and dusted. Get the players you want, don't get excited about stuff that is never going to happen, but you know your management team are doing all they can to get their targets in.

Absolute f***ing no brainer.

problem is you are talking bollocks mate, the vast majority of players NUFC have signed in the last 15 years have been conducted without undue publicity.

The hype and s*** you are taking in here is no different to the hype and s*** that sunday tabloids print.

Ironic ?

Definitely.

If you like I am quite prepared to draw up a long list of players signed that willl show this to be true. And by the way, how long has this Danny Glover rumours be going on ?

Laughable.

that was the way till robson left for the most part but then when souness came in we had lengthy drawn out and very public transfers (boumsong,emre style),,,,roeder with martins wasn't exactly private either

In actual fact, by laying the blame at the manager(s) concerned, you are taking it away from the board, which is exactly the point that I was waiting to make. Well done.

Keegan particularly, signed most players with very little if anything leaked to the press, the first time around. Its his style, just like the first time. The only major exception I can think of just now was Les Ferdinand, as everybody knew for months he wanted him and it always looked possible he would come here.

Still, as I said earlier, sign a major player like Arshavin and Bentley without anybody finding out until its done, and that is a different kettle of fish to managing to do it when it involves players that not many people even know about, never mind care about.

On a slightly different note, Newcastle is a goldfish bowl, people want news coming out of the club. Ashley's PR skills are non existent. When the team is winning, or while Keegan is boss, they will get away with it, but when things go badly, they will get flak for bad and non existent PR, just like Dalglish did when he did precisely that and also started playing negative football.

NE5,

You probably remember this more vividly than me but didn't Alan Oliver seem to have all the major 'scoops' transfer wise during the first KK reign?

I thought (and I might be imagining this........) Oliver always announced new signings first and often a couple of days before they happened. I'm thinking Beresford, Lee and Sellers off the top of my head.

I'd say the majority of SBR's signings were done with minimum fuss, as someone said above it was only the incompetence of Souness and Roeder that led to everything been hung in public. Remember Kuyt ffs?

So what you saying Ally transfer becoming public is more about the managers than the boards?

What did the board have to do with Roeder constantly going on about scouting Kuyt?

Lets see ...

Option 1: act like Spurs, w*** yourselves off over the bajillions of signings you get linked with every day, look like twats when the vast majority (who most people have only ever "seen" on FM anyway)  dont sign, but hey, you get a month or two of jealousy from other fans on their message boards because you're acting like Charlie Big Bollocks in the transfer market.

Option 2: Quietly go about acquiring the players you want, nothing breaking until they sign and it is all done and dusted. Get the players you want, don't get excited about stuff that is never going to happen, but you know your management team are doing all they can to get their targets in.

problem is you are talking bollocks mate, the vast majority of players NUFC have signed in the last 15 years have been conducted without undue publicity.

The hype and s*** you are taking in here is no different to the hype and s*** that sunday tabloids print.

Ironic ?

Definitely.

If you like I am quite prepared to draw up a long list of players signed that willl show this to be true. And by the way, how long has this Danny Glover rumours be going on ?

Laughable.

that was the way till robson left for the most part but then when souness came in we had lengthy drawn out and very public transfers (boumsong,emre style),,,,roeder with martins wasn't exactly private either

In actual fact, by laying the blame at the manager(s) concerned, you are taking it away from the board, which is exactly the point that I was waiting to make. Well done.

Keegan particularly, signed most players with very little if anything leaked to the press, the first time around. Its his style, just like the first time. The only major exception I can think of just now was Les Ferdinand, as everybody knew for months he wanted him and it always looked possible he would come here.

Still, as I said earlier, sign a major player like Arshavin and Bentley without anybody finding out until its done, and that is a different kettle of fish to managing to do it when it involves players that not many people even know about, never mind care about.

On a slightly different note, Newcastle is a goldfish bowl, people want news coming out of the club. Ashley's PR skills are non existent. When the team is winning, or while Keegan is boss, they will get away with it, but when things go badly, they will get flak for bad and non existent PR, just like Dalglish did when he did precisely that and also started playing negative football.

i was using the managers more as a time frame. in my opinion the style changed after woodgate in which fat fred done it very publically and pulled off a bit of a coup and i think he used that as a template from then on.

edit... i don't give a toss for PR. whats on thew pitch answers everything.

How does a thread about the press knowing nothing about our transfer business bring out the whingers?   :lol:

Maybe because the press knowing about our transfer dealings and the quality of the players involved are logically related? Do you really think we will sign top quality, high profile players without the press having a clue until it happens? A relatively unknown Argentinian and a low profile Liverpool youth/squad player yes, but somebody being courted by other big clubs? If so, what went wrong in the Modric (no) deal?

he won't answer this.

Unbelievable's point is the best one yet on our transfers this summer - when we sign a 10m+ player this summer under the noses of the press i'll listen and doff my cap accordingly, til then i'm finding it unlikely there are reams of journalists hanging about liverpools training ground to see who their reserves are signing for, and we managed to keep it from them

more likely no-one gives a flying fuck whether danny guthrie signs for bolton or newcastle (his reported choices) 'cause it's not newsworthy

Precisely

It is a shame and shows what can go wrong when potential deals are made public, all the more reason to keep them quiet.

Leaks to the press will 'inadvertantly' occur when an in-demand player is the subject of a transfer move, agents and the selling club are usually the main culprits as they hope to seal a better financial cut for themselves. It's natural when we pursue somebody like Martins it will enter into the public domain. It doesn't excuse Mort/Jimenez/Ashley for not being able to sell a better 'footballing future' than what Spurs were able to offer. It's about selling a better 'footballing future/alternative' than your immediate rivals when the likes of Modric are up for grabs, and our current front-office have not been very good at it.

BTW i seem to recall the 'Viana transfer' going through very little press fanfare, in comparison with the Martins' deal. Add Woodgate as well. Courses for horses Mick

:clap:

How does a thread about the press knowing nothing about our transfer business bring out the whingers?  :lol:

Maybe because the press knowing about our transfer dealings and the quality of the players involved are logically related? Do you really think we will sign top quality, high profile players without the press having a clue until it happens? A relatively unknown Argentinian and a low profile Liverpool youth/squad player yes, but somebody being courted by other big clubs? If so, what went wrong in the Modric (no) deal?

he won't answer this.

Unbelievable's point is the best one yet on our transfers this summer - when we sign a 10m+ player this summer under the noses of the press i'll listen and doff my cap accordingly, til then i'm finding it unlikely there are reams of journalists hanging about liverpools training ground to see who their reserves are signing for, and we managed to keep it from them

more likely no-one gives a flying f*** whether danny guthrie signs for bolton or newcastle (his reported choices) 'cause it's not newsworthy

Precisely

comparing like for like....i'll compare benayoun (winger we'd never heard of playing in spain) with jonas....the press were al over the benayoun thing for weeks

I'd say the majority of SBR's signings were done with minimum fuss, as someone said above it was only the incompetence of Souness and Roeder that led to everything been hung in public. Remember Kuyt ffs?

So what you saying Ally transfer becoming public is more about the managers than the boards?

What did the board have to do with Roeder constantly going on about scouting Kuyt?

That being the point. It is more often the manager that talk about transfer rather than boards.

NE5,

You probably remember this more vividly than me but didn't Alan Oliver seem to have all the major 'scoops' transfer wise during the first KK reign?

I thought (and I might be imagining this........) Oliver always announced new signings first and often a couple of days before they happened. I'm thinking Beresford, Lee and Sellers off the top of my head.

I'm not sure mate. I wasn't living in the area at the time so didn't read the Chronicle, but over the years it has always been first on the ball most of the time, especially when John Gibson was the reporter, which I DO remember quite well. It would be pretty surprising if the local rag didn't have first ear to what is happening at the club ? I don't blame Oliver or anybody else for printing these sort of scoops if true but at the same time he doesn't want to be seen as being the person who leaks news that might cost a good signing.

Personally, I was actually on holiday when we bought Beresford and Venision [one or both] so knew nothing until I opened a national paper. I didn't find out about Lee or Sellars until I did the same.

Lets see ...

Ironic ?

Definitely.

Laughable.

i was using the managers more as a time frame. in my opinion the style changed after woodgate in which fat fred done it very publically and pulled off a bit of a coup and i think he used that as a template from then on.

You quite clearly in fact DO give a toss for PR, but only when it suits you to do so.

Personally, I don't. But I'm making the point that quite a lot of other people in this city of Newcastle and Tyneside do give a toss for PR.

Lets see ...

Ironic ?

Definitely.

Laughable.

You quite clearly in fact DO give a toss for PR, but only when it suits you to do so.

Personally, I don't. But I'm making the point that quite a lot of other people in this city of Newcastle and Tyneside do give a toss for PR.

please expand ?

That being the point. It is more often the manager that talk about transfer rather than boards.

Indeed. :)

Leaks to the press will 'inadvertantly' occur when an in-demand player is the subject of a transfer move, agents and the selling club are usually the main culprits as they hope to seal a better financial cut for themselves. It's natural when we pursue somebody like Martins it will enter into the public domain. It doesn't excuse Mort/Jimenez/Ashley for not being able to sell a better 'footballing future' than what Spurs were able to offer. It's about selling a better 'footballing future/alternative' than your immediate rivals when the likes of Modric are up for grabs, and our current front-office have not been very good at it.

BTW i seem to recall the 'Viana transfer' going through very little press fanfare, in comparison with the Martins' deal. Add Woodgate as well. Courses for horses Mick

I could have sworn that Keegan got to see Modric and even he couldn't talk him into coming here, why blame it on the three mentioned while leaving Keegan out of it?  I can't  remember how the Vianna deal was handled but I'm sure you're right and it was done on the quiet, the Woodgate transfer was in the papers before we signed him.

Doing transfers on the quiet isn't a new thing at the club and nobody is trying to say that it is, just that at the minute we're doing it that way and we're right.

Lets see ...

Ironic ?

Definitely.

Laughable.

please expand ?

Well, if you have never been bothered about PR (gaffes or otherwise) and only bothered about what happens on the pitch, its difficult to see what we have ever disagreed about ?

Lets see ...

Ironic ?

Definitely.

Laughable.

please expand ?

Well, if you have never been bothered about PR (gaffes or otherwise) and only bothered about what happens on the pitch, its difficult to see what we have ever disagreed about ?

are you saying souness,roeder and allardyce...the direction the club were headed on and off the pitch were PR gaffes ?

Lets see ...

Ironic ?

Definitely.

Laughable.

please expand ?

are you saying souness,roeder and allardyce...the direction the club were headed on and off the pitch were PR gaffes ?

eh ?

Have you never made a remark about our ex pie eating chairman ? Does Ashley eat pies too I wonder  :lol:

Lets see ...

Ironic ?

Definitely.

Laughable.

please expand ?

eh ?

Have you never made a remark about our ex pie eating chairman ? Does Ashley eat pies too I wonder  :lol:

i call him fat fred. i'll call ashley "fat mike" if it makes you happy. i also used to call him fat fred when i was defending him.

Mick, the point is that you can't tell top players that are being courted by several other clubs to keep it quiet, nor can you make the selling club that is involved shut up about it. It is in bith their interests to forge the best possible deal for themselves, not us. That's why keeping things quiet will not work that well when we (hopefully) move onto bigger targets. Of course, when there's only one club interested and the player is not a high profile character that attracts a lot of media attention, keeping things quiet is far easier, but that in itself doesn't make them better signings. I can't believe I've had to explain this..

Mick, the point is that you can't tell top players that are being courted by several other clubs to keep it quiet, nor can you make the selling club that is involved shut up about it. It is in bith their interests to forge the best possible deal for themselves, not us. That's why keeping things quiet will not work that well when we (hopefully) move onto bigger targets. Of course, when there's only one club interested and the player is not a high profile character that attracts a lot of media attention, keeping things quiet is far easier, but that in itself doesn't make them better signings. I can't believe I've had to explain this..

I'm not surprised in the slightest you've had to explain it

i've read it a few times and can't find where he makes out they are better signings because of it.

Roeder will be watching him this summer as he tries to make up his mind.  :lol:

i've read it a few times and can't find where he makes out they are better signings because of it.

see the bold.

Anything that puts the fat bastard in a bad light is fair game, and must be explained when it isn't necessarily true, as you know. Thats Shepherd BTW, not Ashley.

I'm a bit surprised this is still going on to be honest. Some of us have explained it all in such a way that even a child could understand, if they want to of course.