What happened?

Dave

Normally the club make false promises and over hype the club in order to sell season tickets.

The new regime seems to be a little more honest and realistic about its ambitions.

If anything, I'm sick of the way the fans are being treated. Barton 'earning' more than what I will in 10 years during one month in prison, then being accepted with open arms by his employers sticks in the craw.

Thats not true though, if you look at all the quotes from the time of the takeover they were saying that they wanted us to compete at the very top within 5 years. Things have changed somewhat since then....

How much is your outlay?

My personal outlay? I have had a season ticket for two years when I lived in Newcastle. Since moving back to Holland I have gone to matches whenever I am in the region, which is about once every two months. I have also subscribed to a paid television station here that broadcasts nearly all Newcastle matches, and would gladly pay to watch a match online if there is no other way. Does it matter to my argument? Is this the only hole you can pick in it? It´s a good thing you are never online during our matches or you would look a little silly asking that question..

It was a simple question that you answered, thanks. No need to be so defensive about it.

I'm online during games I don't go to btw, which is half of the home games (I share an ST) and most of the away ones.

Guest ObaStar

Look one good thing about newcastle united is that it keeps everyone entertained. In reality the purpose of sports is entertainment. And while as of right now we aren't pushing to win the champions league newcastle is for sure one of the most entertaining clubs to support. What other clubs has highs and lows a great as ours in 1 season. Think last year we were on the verge of the quarter finals of the Uefa cup (4-2 first leg over AZ Alkamar) and here we are a year later having just avoided relegation. Our manager the Messiah is back and we have a new owner. Compare all of this to the relative boredom of supporting a club like Middlesborough. Who have year after year of mid table shit to look forward too and Gareth Southgate as their manager. Nothing exciting ever happens there. Although Newcastle United isn't winning the league yet I want to thank it for keeping me very entertained.

p.s. I am optimistic for the next season

How much is your outlay?

My personal outlay? I have had a season ticket for two years when I lived in Newcastle. Since moving back to Holland I have gone to matches whenever I am in the region, which is about once every two months. I have also subscribed to a paid television station here that broadcasts nearly all Newcastle matches, and would gladly pay to watch a match online if there is no other way. Does it matter to my argument? Is this the only hole you can pick in it? It´s a good thing you are never online during our matches or you would look a little silly asking that question..

It was a simple question that you answered, thanks. No need to be so defensive about it.

I'm online during games I don't go to btw, which is half of the home games (I share an ST) and most of the away ones.

Ok

I find it funny that under big sam optimism was sky high, why is that?

* Because he made the players wear heart monitors?

* Because he took them to austria to get them fit?

Most people knew that the football would be dull and in our heart of hearts we knew that his style of football wouldnt lead to success.

Now we have keegan back and everyone thinks we are fucked! Ha! we should be glad we managed to survive last season and looking forward to seeing some decent football next season under a manger who has never let us down in any way, shape or form.

People getting pissed off that we have signed guthrie, as if you were glad we had signed geremi to be the focal point of our team(and captain). I for one am a damn sight more optimistic about this season than I have been since Robson left. So we havent signed the required quality yet, so fuck?! Its  the 12th july! Get a grip and stop shitting your pants. In keegan we have a manger who can literally  polish a turd and turn the same squad that couldnt string a pass together under fat sam into one which could go to spurs and tear them a new one!

Just because Maethis says we are going to get relegated doesnt mean its going to happen. We will finish top half at least.

Guest Stephen927

I'm quite happy with the transfers so far and while I don't expect us to finish the season in Europe, I think we'll finish 8th or 9th with the positivity that Keegan will want to get through to his squad, rather than playing for draws against Derby.

Can't wait to see Jonas Gutierrez in action, I trust Keegan as he has a great eye for talent and I think that'll come through, whether we're buying youngsters or experienced footballers, that Keegan will bring in people who have a positive effect on the squad and get a bit of competition going for places.

I'm cautiously optimistic, need to see who else we sign/sell and then I'll be able to make a prediction. Right now, I think a lot of people in limbo (got to remember it's still very early in the window and not many clubs have made a real move so far), so it'll be good to get a few friendlies under the belt and hopefully we can get a positive start to the season to keep the doubters quiet.

If I had to say I'd guess that most of the perceived negative posters are a touch older than than those deemed as positive. Doesn't make either bad, both have their opinions & there is the exuberance of youth against the experience of age.

I started going regularly to matches in the late 70's when we were by any standards s**** & in the days when gates of 14,000 were a regular occurrence. At that time I believed it would always be ok & that we'd get promoted. Yes, it is an unrecognisable situation now but to progress you need to invest in the team and make the team attractive. We just aren't doing it at the moment; 1 or 2 signings isn't going to change it; we need major investment in the team. When we were s****, in the old second division, we managed to get Peter Withe. Today that would be like Leeds signing someone like Berbatov.

It is frustrating as we should be able to improve but we do seem to have hit a wall. In the passed posters have said that members like me have no patience, are negative & are missing trophy signings. It is so ironic. As said I started going in the late 70's, stopped going regularly just as we got promoted to the PL as I was playing Saturday afternoon football & all the space had been taken up by regulars and the new Glory Hunters who snapped up the season tickets. I started going again once I stopped playing & got a ST when the ground grew to 52,000 - that's right; at the end of the glory period (SBR excepting).

It's great that members are optimistic but don't knock those with concerns. We cannot afford to stand still or we will go backwards.

You really mean you want posters with the same opinion as you because then you can believe you also have insight.

I assume you mean insight as opposed to incite.

No, i want posters that vary their opinions and don't do their utmost to find the worst in everything. There was a fairly even balance in poster mentality on here until fairly recently.

Not patronising doom-monger twats that correct people's spelling.

You really mean you want posters with the same opinion as you because then you can believe you also have insight.

I assume you mean insight as opposed to incite.

No, i want posters that vary their opinions and don't do their utmost to find the worst in everything. There was a fairly even balance in poster mentality on here until fairly recently.

Not patronising doom-monger twats that correct people's spelling.

People will change the nature of their posts when they have been given reason too. At the match we all should be positive & supportive; that doesn't stop us asking questions outside of the game & being concerned. Seriously, look at our squad, it is paper thin with not much quality.  It's not as though this is a new problem; it was here this time last year & a common reply was to wait until the end of August. Well, we waited & what we got was largely rubbish.

Guest diddimz

I'm positive about the upcoming season. Really this is the best position we have been in in a long time, the club isn't at risk of going under, we have the best manager we've had in years, our squad really only needs a few tweaks and some depth, while our youth has been improved by signing more quality youngsters recently. I think a lot of the negativity comes from the optimism last season. Most people were excited, new owner, new manager, new players, things were looking good. We then find out the club had been in way to much debt, our results also started going terribly down hill, and we faced the fears of relegation. So even though things are better then they were just over 12 months ago, theres still the fear that it could quite easily go out of control, and the media's constant bullshit (and we all know most of it is bullshit), constantly keeps that level of doubt firmly planted in our mind.