What happened?

Dave

Supporting a football club is supposed to be fun isn't it?  Sure we all take it seriously and are upset if we don't compete.  However, I've just booked my train tickets up for the Bolton and Hull games and I'm starting to feel the frission of excitement already.  If we're shite it will still be good craic.  It's a win win situation.  Let's just enjoy it, you only live once after all and I'd sooner do that as a toon fan than anything else

I'm always positive. I just want the pre-season friendlies to began, at least then we can start analysing performances and build hope for the coming season.

By the way, those who are posting about negativity, i'd like to point out that it only comes from a few people on here. Rarely ever do i come across it in the pubs or the stands. Sadly alot of people believe a football forum is an accurate view of the mood, which is fictious.

We were good in last years friendlies and the first few games.

What happened to the positivity?

All I seem to read on this forum these days is negative, negative, negative. People moaning and whinging about the club, the board, the players, the targets, the colour of the new shirt, the baseless shite in the media as though it's gospel etc etc. Realism is great but the doom and gloom is reaching nauseating levels.

What happened to a bit of confidence? What happened to a bit of patience? What happened to a little bit of bullishness about a new season? What happened to looking forward to winning each match? What happened to Newcastle United being a big club?

I'm as tired as anyone of the press calling us deluded, but fucking hell we could do with a bit of that daft upbeat attitude right now.

We've got the best manager we've had since Robson, we've got a set of players who can only get better, and we've got a club we all love trying its collective damndest to improve next year. If that's not good enough for you, I suggest you fuck off and 'support' Manchester United or Chelsea.

I can't bloody wait for the new season. Bring it on.

I know what you're saying Dave. I get near depressed sometimes watching the threads descend into bickering about how crap things are.

They don't know they're born, they don't!

Guest Sniffer

I enjoy the day out as much as anyone. But it's about what happens on the pitch that's important, isn't it?

I agree there are a lot whingers but some of them do make valid points, if people can see past the user name. I also think sometimes the subjects get lost in peoples own eternal battles with each other. I don't reading mind peoples rollcoaster/knee jerk reaction of emotions as football is an emotional game. But people like this MaetihS deserve account deletion for sanity of majority.

What happened to the positivity?

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5393/81514697vz5.jpg

That's quality, where is it from? I assume it's designed to have the different depths to it?

The positivity placed before the season started last season was based upon a new owner & a new manager. The manager proved to be disaster but there were those who refused to see it. Look at the games where we got late goals against the likes of Wigan, Fulham, Birmingham...... & you have to say we could have gone down. The second half display away to Birmingham paved the way for us to drag ourselves up the table.

I believe BS would have taken us down & his dealings in the transfer market were appalling. That our major signing was Barton was laughable & that brings us to Ashley.

He has not been seen to have backed either manager. He is looking for outside investment. He is looking to build a side based on promising youngsters & low wages.

KK must be crapping himself. First time around KK had the money to attract players & there was a real feel good atmosphere around the club. This time the money has not been forthcoming so far & the club are not attractive to players. Pompey & AV are far more attractive, Spurs are way ahead & we are competing for signings with (no disrespect) the likes of Blackburn.

This isn't being negative. We need to see things as they stand, right now. Yes, Ashley has put money against the debts & revamped the way the club behind the scenes is working. But, it is out on the pitch the ultimately matters & right now our squad is poor.

Guest Heneage

Im being an Optimistic realist. The signings while not earth shattering have provided a good block on which to build, ergo my realism, my optimism comes from the potential for other signings that will follow

The positivity placed before the season started last season was based upon a new owner & a new manager. The manager proved to be disaster but there were those who refused to see it. Look at the games where we got late goals against the likes of Wigan, Fulham, Birmingham...... & you have to say we could have gone down. The second half display away to Birmingham paved the way for us to drag ourselves up the table.

I believe BS would have taken us down & his dealings in the transfer market were appalling. That our major signing was Barton was laughable & that brings us to Ashley.

He has not been seen to have backed either manager. He is looking for outside investment. He is looking to build a side based on promising youngsters & low wages.

KK must be crapping himself. First time around KK had the money to attract players & there was a real feel good atmosphere around the club. This time the money has not been forthcoming so far & the club are not attractive to players. Pompey & AV are far more attractive, Spurs are way ahead & we are competing for signings with (no disrespect) the likes of Blackburn.

This isn't being negative. We need to see things as they stand, right now. Yes, Ashley has put money against the debts & revamped the way the club behind the scenes is working. But, it is out on the pitch the ultimately matters & right now our squad is poor.

:thup:

What happened? Well there's the realistic stuff that has already been mentioned; our midfield is weak and our squad has no depth, and we're expentant of being disappointed, purely because that's been the trend for the las few seasons.

That said, Dave's point still stands; people should still be positive and excited - we all love football and our club. What's really happened is that this place has lost it's top, interesting, inciteful Regulars, and has had them replaced with 'negative-tosser' Regulars and Wind-Up Merchants. That's the real answer. Most football fans should be positive whatever the weather, and i think most are. The forum's full of shite atm because there's a lot of shite doom-monger-style posters.

And if anyone replies to this post with "you're not that great a poster either, Yorkie"... well, i know, but that's not really my point.

Guest Sniffer

You really mean you want posters with the same opinion as you because then you can believe you also have insight.

I assume you mean insight as opposed to incite.

Guest DonnieZane

Probably means he wants posters with reasonable and varied opinions, not people who's opinions only ever vary from negativity to extreme negativity to delusional negativity.

Guest Badhead

I'm staying optimistic on the grounds that us ordinary fans know the sum total of fuck all about our transfer budget/targets, and to form a firm view at this stage would be pure Mystic Meggery.

We have very little to go on (press bollocks aside). Ashley's comments about seeking investment might suggest caution, but that's very tenuous and anyway, conversely, you have the bids for Woodgate and Modric, as well as Keegan's insistence back in January the funds were there if he wanted to use them - which is probably the strongest evidence we have.

But the bottom line is we know nowt - why get vexed yet?

What happened? Well there's the realistic stuff that has already been mentioned; our midfield is weak and our squad has no depth, and we're expentant of being disappointed, purely because that's been the trend for the las few seasons.

That said, Dave's point still stands; people should still be positive and excited - we all love football and our club. What's really happened is that this place has lost it's top, interesting, inciteful Regulars, and has had them replaced with 'negative-tosser' Regulars and Wind-Up Merchants. That's the real answer. Most football fans should be positive whatever the weather, and i think most are. The forum's full of s**** atm because there's a lot of s**** doom-monger-style posters.

And if anyone replies to this post with "you're not that great a poster either, Yorkie"... well, i know, but that's not really my point.

I assume I fall into that category, along with a few other posters like Tsunami and UV? Strangely, last summer after the Ashley takeover and with Sam Allardyce as our manager, there was mass euphoria on here and a few people including the people mentioned and myself declared we would not join the party before there was any reason to, i.e. before the new regime had shown its hand. We got a lot of stick for this stance at the time, just like we are getting stick now. However, we are one year down the line and the hand that has been shown so far is confusing to say the least. I think by now a lot of the people who were mass celebrating have had time to analyse the situation and are now on the fence themselves, saying they expect a few top class signings, be patient, will only be disappointed if it doesn´t happen, stop slitting your wrists et cetera. Since some of us started from a different perspective, i.e. on the fence and waiting to be convinced we have moved off the fence a little bit and are expressing our valid concerns about recent developments and the level of ambition that is being shown. It´s not because we want to be negative or don´t want the club to do well. it´s for exactly opposite reasons, i.e. we want to be positive and optimistic about the club, but for the right reasons and not just blind faith and hope. In short, what´s happened is people are waking up to the idea that a new regime does not necessarily mean everything is better than it used to be and the new board need to convince us, their paying customers and the lifelihood of their business, that they will continue to provide a product that is worth the outlay that they are charging..

How much is your outlay?

My personal outlay? I have had a season ticket for two years when I lived in Newcastle. Since moving back to Holland I have gone to matches whenever I am in the region, which is about once every two months. I have also subscribed to a paid television station here that broadcasts nearly all Newcastle matches, and would gladly pay to watch a match online if there is no other way. Does it matter to my argument? Is this the only hole you can pick in it? It´s a good thing you are never online during our matches or you would look a little silly asking that question..

Normally the club make false promises and over hype the club in order to sell season tickets.

The new regime seems to be a little more honest and realistic about its ambitions.

If anything, I'm sick of the way the fans are being treated. Barton 'earning' more than what I will in 10 years during one month in prison, then being accepted with open arms by his employers sticks in the craw.

Thinking back to 12 months ago and the Austrian Training Camp thread, the optimism at that time was incredibly high. I think everyone this year is a little hesitant to be as optimistic just in case it all happens again and that huge balloon gets burst again.

Personally cant see it being anything like the first half of last season as I have every faith in Kevin but I can understand why people are hesitant to get their hopes up again.