Well done the Villa fans !

Guest Phil K

Dug his heels in and got it in the end though didn't he?  :rolleyes:

Just not right. Why can't a player just be honest and say "Thanks for having me here, it's been a pleasure but I want a move. I need a fresh challenge."

Citeh fought a good battle as well. It was Big Sam that buckled & put pressure on freshmen Mort & Ashley to stump up the £300K to force the move through iirc.

But I do agree that he's given a nothing club like Villa tremendous service and is within his rights to want to better himself.

You're a very, very silly man indeed, mate.

I'm in my late 30s and have been supporting us since I was 5. In that time I've seen us win one European Cup, one league title, one European Super Cup, and four league cups.

Your turn.

How many trophies have Liverpool won in the same time?

As much as I hate Liverpool, if it was a choice of Villa or them, I'd join them every time. Guaranteed top 4 finish every year, and a real push at trying to win the league. Villa have no chance of that I'm afraid.

I'm not passing comment on his desire to go to Liverpool, or on Liverpool's history in the same time.

I'm passing comment on that tit afar's description of Villa as a "nothing club".

He's said a few times he has a problem with me being here, and he's doing it specifically to wind me up, get me to react and get me banned.

I've pointed out the irony of him describing Villa as a "nothing club". If calling him a tit gets me banned, then fair enough, he's won.

And here we go once again - Afar, you're a tit. A brainless, witless tit, in fact.

OMG paranoid or what. Yeah I have admitted in the past that I don't think your contributions as an outsider here are as great as others seem to think and I really have no love of the club you support. But I have nothing against you personally, so for goodness sake, get a grip man.

If you read the whole body of the my post you will find me defending Villa fans for giving Barry abuse. One of the other posters used the term "Average club" to describe Villa, well "Nothing club" and "Average Club" are pretty much the same thing in my book.

And I'll repeat for the record, NUFC are pretty much in that "nothingness" right now and we most certainly were when you guys had your hayday back in the early 80's. If Barry was our player right now, I would still begrudgingly admit that Liverpool was a huge step up for him.

Don't get so bloody sensitive man, you can't come on to other teams forums and expect your club to be held in some untouchable paltform, Spurs, Liverpool, Manure and of course the mackems get their fair share of stick on here, as do NUFC actually from one poster anyway. Yet I don't see many of their fans poping on here whining.

For the record I have no desire to see you banned, far from it but I don't take too kindly to personal abuse, so please cut that out cos there's no need for it really.

Right, I've calmed down a bit now, so on to Barry.

I wasn't there last night, but I know a few people who were there. The general consensus was that 40 percent booed him at the start, 40 percent clapped him, and 20 percent did nothing.

The booing totally stopped towards the end of his shift when he'd played a few good passes, and you could see he was geeing up the kids (it was practically a youth team) he was playing with.

My take on Barry is that he's a very good player I'd prefer to keep. My take on the loyalty thing is that his agents have been hawking him around since the end of last year. In fact, he was widely considered to be on his way to Chelsea until relatively recently.

He's been with us 10 years, but those years include a decent spell of time where he hardly got a look in. He also asked to leave twice before, incidentally.

MON persuaded him to stay, said he'd get him in the England team. We called for him to get the call up for a long, long time. Then he does, and lo and behold, MON was right, he got it, and is practically a regular.

So what happens then? He demands his move the first chance he gets, slags the manager off in the press, throws his toys out of the pram and acts like a primadonna.

Can any of you say you'd really feel any different if he were a Newcastle player acting like that? I don't think you would. Not even Afar.

There's been very little surprising about the whole affair, really. He wants to go, he can go. But he goes on our terms. SOme people arent happy about it, some are less bothered.

Simple as that, really.

Now that's a way better post. As I mentioned above, I understand why the Villa fans feel the way they do. He's gone about it all wrong. But I do understand why he would want to move and although it pains me to say, I would probably understand it if he was a newcastle player too.

Get rid of false loyalty clauses then.

It is insane, though isn't it, the very concept of these "loyalty" clauses.

I do feel that football is eventually going to eat itself and then choke to death. It must surely end in tears at some point relatively soon?

If i was a footballer I'd try get the most money I could get aswell, wouldn't you? There's a chance of an extra million here, want it? Nah mate, I'm too honest for that, load of bollocks IMO.

Like wise Villa are thinking he is under contract if we sell we will have to pay him what he is owed due to not asking to leave so we will wait till Liverpool cough up a few more million.

Its one of the age old problems of being called into the international set-up.You can guarantee Gerrard has been in Barry's ear,promising him a bountiful career at Anfield.If he was an agent,there would be hell to pay.For what its worth,Villa shpould take the 15 or so on offer and get rid.They wouldnt have got that 12 months ago,so in one respect they're on a winner.

Villa should just demand a Barry for Alonso straight swap deal, if Liverpool are that desperate. If they were to actually pull that off it would be the best bit of business this Summer in my eyes.

Barry's been with villa for over 10 years, his entire professional career, why is it so hard to understand that he wants to move on to a far bigger club playing on the biggest stage? it seems villa fans are just senselessly taking out their frustrations about this situation on Barry, even though it's not in his hands what gerrard/o'neill/benitez get up to.

obviously had this been a popular NUFC player angling for a move in the press i'd be mightily pissed off too, but that's cos i am partisan, not cos i have some sort of moral authority. and if a player has given us good service and wants to improve himself at a bigger club i'd wish him all the best, like Woodgate when he went to Madrid for example. anyway afar is spot on when he describes villa as a nothing club, as that's what Villa have been for the duration of Barry's stay there. Even brummie has said so himself (look at his criticisms of doug ellis) only when someone else says it he throws some bitch fit.

Barry's been with villa for over 10 years, his entire professional career, why is it so hard to understand that he wants to move on to a far bigger club playing on the biggest stage? it seems villa fans are just senselessly taking out their frustrations about this situation on Barry, even though it's not in his hands what gerrard/o'neill/benitez get up to.

obviously had this been a popular NUFC player angling for a move in the press i'd be mightily pissed off too, but that's cos i am partisan, not cos i have some sort of moral authority. and if a player has given us good service and wants to improve himself at a bigger club i'd wish him all the best, like Woodgate when he went to Madrid for example. anyway afar is spot on when he describes villa as a nothing club, as that's what Villa have been for the duration of Barry's stay there. Even brummie has said so himself (look at his criticisms of doug ellis) only when someone else says it he throws some bitch fit.

Thanks Johnny I really wasn't trying to have a go and like I said above NUFC have been just as much of a nothing club over the last few years.

With Barrybeing there for so long, he's been idolised by the Villa fans for so long. I mean how long have they been singing barry for england? years!

I think the call up to the England squad and a couple of good performances on the international scene have caused the big guns to really start tracking the player. Yeah he shouldnt have went about it the way he did with slagging of MON to the press.

He cant really feel sorry for himself after he's gone and done that.

the lad has done nothing wrong. I don't get it, if you wanted to move to a bigger and better job, you wouldnt have customers booing you as you continue to work. Fact is Barry has the chance to develop himself and move on to bigger and better things, why cant fans realise football is a job, if they wish to move on, then they wish to move on, simple

Agreed, most jobs come with a permanent contract, does that mean you should work until retiring for the same company?

the lad has done nothing wrong. I don't get it, if you wanted to move to a bigger and better job, you wouldnt have customers booing you as you continue to work. Fact is Barry has the chance to develop himself and move on to bigger and better things, why cant fans realise football is a job, if they wish to move on, then they wish to move on, simple

Agreed, most jobs come with a permanent contract, does that mean you should work until retiring for the same company?

I think a lot of people are missing the point here, all he needs to do is to ask to be transferred, but he's obviously hanging on for a bonus. And he should have kept quiet and not bleated to the papers about Martin O'Neill.

Equating our ordinary jobs to a footballer's contract just doesn't work for me. It's not the same thing.