Keegan on transfers

Guest hindu times

Guest elbee909

if clubs like wigan can tie down players,then why cant we.

Because it's easier to improve their team than it is ours.

To be honest, if I had the choice of being paid a very high Portuguese wage of £30k per week, when I could be paid an average English wage of £40k per week, I'd go for Benfica, as they were clearly pulling out all the stops.

Not that I believe the newspapers.

that a serious opinion or am i missing the sarcasm?  either way i'd tend to agree, especially if you consider benfica might have an outside chance of a title challenge too...

It is an opinion, but it only applies if we have missed out.

If so, it is the fault of the previous chairman for playing in a market that was unsustainable in the long term.

james, i'm gonna resist the urge to respond to this with "what the fuck are you on about" and instead say:

unless this is an attempt to be witty i'm gonna assume you mean that we could only offer aimar 40k a week (for example) due to the extravagent wages FS and his board laid out on players, if that hadn't been the case we might have offered more wages to aimar and he'd have perhaps come?

if i'm right with this interpretation that is so far beyond common sense & logical reasoning there isn't even a word or measurement for it

if that's not what you meant or you were being funny then what did you really mean?

My point is that the club can't afford to be paying the type of wages Shepherd was handing out, and thus when we offer players a fraction of Owen's wage, they are likely to be offended.

in the style of kyle from south park: "reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally?"

so shepherd was handing out wages & that was bad, yet if he hadn't done that ashley would be able to offer aimar high wages to tempt him to the club?

i was right in the first place, are you kidding me man?  you can see that makes no sense right?  you've invented your own version of catch 22

Shepherd created a market where any proven player would expect to get at least £50k. Had he not done so, expectations abroad would be lower, and therefore we could compete with Monaco and Benfica.

Fact is that he was throwing cash away with only the short term in mind.

howay james you can see that bringing shepherd into this discussion was a mistake right?  you could argue his wage offers created that expectation from players at the club presently but to suggest it affects players who might or might not join the club a year after he left is to be frank a little on the stupid side

it's the old government thing isn't it?  blaming the previous regime a decade after taking power...ashley has taken power and he has to deal with it, right now it looks like he's choosing to not deal with it in any way whatsoever

this mornings round of owen stories aren't helping either now are they?  we've one real marketable asset and top class player and we're facing the prospect of losing him for nothing in a year due to wages - jesus even biting the bullet, giving him the same wages then selling him for 5m on our terms would be preferable to that man

anyways everythings fine, we'll get the players, owen will sign, onwards and upwards; if we don't we can lay the blame at freddy eh?

New world interview up with KK.

Main points:

- Thinks Bassong is one for the future, but wouldn't be suprised to see him push his way into the team very soon.

- Aim is to slip 3 or 4 signings like him in under 3 big signings. *Speculation on my part is that Spear will be another of those for the future, if it ever gets confirmed.

- No mention of any more incoming signings, but WASN'T asked.

- Raving about Guthrie and Jonas again

- Owen and Faye left behind to work on fitness because they're a couple of weeks behind.

- Martins can't play because of minor injury (and injection), but thought it best to bring him out with the squad for team building.

Any chance of you posting it word-for-word please? ;)

*is excited*

I bet Jonas doesn't play btw.

He is said as such before, that not only did he want three or four players for the first team, he hoped to get a few younger and cheaper players to flesh his team out. I'd assume Bassong was the first of these.

New world interview up with KK.

Main points:

- Thinks Bassong is one for the future, but wouldn't be suprised to see him push his way into the team very soon.

- Aim is to slip 3 or 4 signings like him in under 3 big signings. *Speculation on my part is that Spear will be another of those for the future, if it ever gets confirmed.

- No mention of any more incoming signings, but WASN'T asked.

- Raving about Guthrie and Jonas again

- Owen and Faye left behind to work on fitness because they're a couple of weeks behind.

- Martins can't play because of minor injury (and injection), but thought it best to bring him out with the squad for team building.

Any chance of you posting it word-for-word please? ;)

*is excited*

I bet Jonas doesn't play btw.

"I think he's a very very good signing, and we haven't had to break the bank to get him. I think if we sign three or four signings like him underneath the three big ones then I think we'll have a very good squad".

Cheers lads.

Fits in with what he's always said - three or four to go straight in and a number of younger players for the squad.

First team: Jonas, Coloccini? (;)), AN.Other/Guthrie

Squad: Guthrie, Bassong, Spears?, others

Cheers lads.

Fits in with what he's always said - three or four to go straight in and a number of younger players for the squad.

don't want to start another fight here but if you'd have metioned spiderman & guthrie as 2 of only 3 "first team quality" players we'd be signing this summer (and us getting someone the quality of coloccini looks highly doubtful too) i would have laughed my arse off as would many others

sorry dave, i really am, but it's fuckin sad that we've come to this and if you think for one second they're the calibre of player KK would have been expecting to go for you're only kidding yourself

(bit aggressive there almost, not intended to be)

Cheers lads.

don't want to start another fight here but if you'd have metioned spiderman & guthrie as 2 of only 3 "first team quality" players we'd be signing this summer (and us getting someone the quality of coloccini looks highly doubtful too) i would have laughed my arse off as would many others

sorry dave, i really am, but it's fuckin sad that we've come to this and if you think for one second they're the calibre of player KK would have been expecting to go for you're only kidding yourself

I put Guthrie there as someone who is young/a squad player but already has enough experience to be pushing for a first team place. I'm not going to argue on Gutierrez again; unless you can tell me he's shit I'll prefer to hope he's as good as his value and international caps suggest.

Cheers lads.

I put Guthrie there as someone who is young/a squad player but already has enough experience to be pushing for a first team place. I'm not going to argue on Gutierrez again; unless you can tell me he's shit I'll prefer to hope he's as good as his value and international caps suggest.

Not to mention the calibre of the player Keegan says he's got.

Don't forget that Keegan reckons that Dani Guiza's golden boot in La Liga was mostly down to Jonas.

Guest elbee909

Cheers lads.

Don't forget that Keegan reckons that Dani Guiza's golden boot in La Liga was mostly down to Jonas.

My name is Jonas, I'm carrying the teeeam

Cheers lads.

no no, spiderman might be ace mate, hope he is, i'm just saying that unless he discovers some form that appears to have hitherto gone unnoticed in his career then he's gonna be steady rather than spectacular right?  keegan MIGHT turn him into a very good player but that's my point - the people we'd surely have been expecting to sign for the first team wouldn't have been "maybes" would they?

everyones a maybe at the end of the day but modric, van der vaart, diego or whoever (not suggesting they're realistic, don't start) are less of a maybe than spiderman

i've never said anything negative about either guthrie or spiderman because i don't know enough about them, but then that's my point in a nutshell really (and no that doesn't mean we should only sign people i've heard of)

just be honest and answer me dave - was this the calibre of player you expected?

oh and i like that spears crept on there as well, isn't he 15?!!  :lol:

15 would class him as a young player wouldn't it?

I don't know what calibre I was expecting, to tell the truth. We've got little or nothing to offer players as we've no Europe, we haven't been going anywhere for the last few years and we have a reputation for being very unstable. I was hoping for some promising players and a surprise or two along the way.

I don't really see your point, why list those players if you don't mean 'like that'? Why suggest those two aren't good enough if you accept you know nothing of them?

Basically it sounds to me exactly like you wanted 'names' tbh.

Cheers lads.

30 games (6 as sub) for Mallorca last season; 0 goals and 5 assists....

stats don't tell every story but if KK's right it must be some story that one

Yes, the squad's small. We know it, they know it, they'll do what they can. The only significant player we have lost is Emre, really. Troisi didn't play, neither did Diatta, Peter "Damage" Ramage doesn't need words and Carr was a waste. I guess Rozehnal was a useful-ish squad player but I haven't seen anybody too disappointed with his departure and we didn't miss him. We need to replace Emre but if we got somebody who actually played games for us, and I was a big Emre fan, it would probably be better in the long run. By trying to get Modric and Aimar it is evident that they know we need a creative midfielder. We can't do anything about it if someone prefers the allure of London or their wife wants to live in a designer beach climate. Our only option is to throw silly money at them, and we can clearly see it got us nowhere. We will get bodies in, it's a fact, I reckon 2-3 more by the close of the window. Yes, it's irritating that they'll miss pre-season/the first few games, but the long-term benefit of a player over a whole season who we haven't been rushed into signing will outweigh the benefits of a short-term stop gap solution to appease the fans (Luque, anybody?).

Also, I think our current squad, while small, is quite underrated. I think KK will get them playing pretty well this year. Don't forget that our team when he nearly won the league had some truly useless players or players who weren't previously considered world beaters performing well above their peak - Peacock, Lee Clark, Keith Gillespie, nobody had really heard of Rob Lee... Keegan has a well-known knack for getting the best out of players and picking up good ones.

We will be fine. Rant over.

PS:

no no, spiderman might be ace mate, hope he is, i'm just saying that unless he discovers some form that appears to have hitherto gone unnoticed in his career then he's gonna be steady rather than spectacular right?

You'd not be happy with Arshavin either then I take it?

Also, I think our current squad, while small, is quite underrated. I think KK will get them playing pretty well this year.

Completely agree. We have some good players here already, many of whom have underperformed for a long time. I'm looking at Keegan to get better out of them, not just try to swap them all.

I don't know what calibre I was expecting, to tell the truth. We've got little or nothing to offer players as we've no Europe, we haven't been going anywhere for the last few years and we have a reputation for being very unstable. I was hoping for some promising players and a surprise or two along the way.

I don't really see your point, why list those players if you don't mean 'like that'? Why suggest those two aren't good enough if you accept you know nothing of them?

dude, how many times do i have to say i'm by no means saying they're not good enough before you actually grasp it? 

15 would indeed class spear as young, you think KK will put a 15-16 year old anywhere near the squad?  really?

'names' are names for a reason mate, it's usually because they're very good footballers...i know you think i'm unrealistic but we're a much better prospect than a lot of you make us out to be, we can fucking turn this around quickly and in the right way (i.e. spend money on the right players) but we have to act and spend some money on players & wages

your attitude reminds me of a battered wife or something, we've had a few seasons of shit so we have to accept more of it, what's the alternative?

fuck that, we don't, but we appear to be happy enough to do so for no other reason (that i can see) than fat freds not in charge anymore...

dude, how many times do i have to say i'm by no means saying they're not good enough before you actually grasp it? 

15 would indeed class spear as young, you think KK will put a 15-16 year old anywhere near the squad?  really?

'names' are names for a reason mate, it's usually because they're very good footballers...i know you think i'm unrealistic but we're a much better prospect than a lot of you make us out to be, we can fucking turn this around quickly and in the right way (i.e. spend money on the right players) but we have to act and spend some money on players & wages

your attitude reminds me of a battered wife or something, we've had a few seasons of shit so we have to accept more of it, what's the alternative?

fuck that, we don't, but we appear to be happy enough to do so for no other reason (that i can see) than fat freds not in charge anymore...

Sounds easy enough, you should let them know.

A battered wife. :lol:

PS:

no no, spiderman might be ace mate, hope he is, i'm just saying that unless he discovers some form that appears to have hitherto gone unnoticed in his career then he's gonna be steady rather than spectacular right?

You'd not be happy with Arshavin either then I take it?

arshavin?  i wouldn't judge him like i've not judged spiderman yet because all i've seen of him was the euros - the fact that he'd cost 24m or something doesn't make him good

in my opinion arshavin is a player of the moment due to the euro's, i think for the money being talked about you could go and convince werder to sell diego (and the player to come with wages) or any number of other players who have scored goals and made assists consistently at the top level

arshavin is a gamble at that price, a huge one