Have we been punching above our weight?

Parky

that old board got it wrong often  most notably the  "we'll keep our powder dry" summer. But  however much you hate them, they undeniably backed their manager's in the transfer market

That's an oxymoron.

Don't let your petty fued with NE5 cloud your view here Ozzie. Highlighting a small part of my text, where I maybe could have added a word like "largely" for clarity does not prove my point wrong. Only a complete idiot would suggest that the old board did not back their managers in the transfer market. Which is probably why our debts were so large.

that old board got it wrong often  most notably the  "we'll keep our powder dry" summer. But  however much you hate them, they undeniably backed their manager's in the transfer market

That's an oxymoron.

Don't let your petty fued with NE5 cloud your view here Ozzie. Highlighting a small part of my text, where I maybe could have added a word like "largely" for clarity does not prove my point wrong. Only a complete idiot would suggest that the old board did not back their managers in the transfer market. Which is probably why our debts were so large.

That's an ozziemoron.

That's an oxymoron.

Blah blah. Highlighting a small part of my text, where I maybe blah blah blah Only a complete idiot would suggest that the old board did not back their managers in the transfer market. Which is probably why our debts were so large.

It's the "undeniably" bit I have problems with. Shepherd "backed his managers" sometimes. In reality the spend went up and down wildly. In the period most comparable to where we are now -- Bobby's first couple of seasons -- Shepherd "backed" his only decent managerial appointment with less than was splashed on the rest of them. There certainly wasn't a Robert or Owen every season, though I suppose there was often a Cort, Viana, Marcelino or Luque and they all cost a lot too.

That's an oxymoron.

That's an ozziemoron.

Aye they backed their managers in the transfer market except when they didn't back their managers in the transfer market – such as in the summer of our last chance at the CL before the drawbridge got pulled up -- and you'd have to be stupid or a liar to argue otherwise.

I believe we are the 6th or mabe 7th most successful club in English History,

our average prem position, may be higher than that.

We are the third best supported club thro history,

Under Keegan we finished, 1, 3,6,2,2, season started with him as manager.

if anything we punch Below our weight.

under Keegan though, an ambitious manager, we will achieve better than mediocrity.

That's an oxymoron.

That's an ozziemoron.

Aye they backed their managers in the transfer market except when they didn't back their managers in the transfer market – such as in the summer of our last chance at the CL before the drawbridge got pulled up -- and you'd have to be stupid or a liar to argue otherwise.

Aye, they spent too much except when they didn't spend enough. That's the definition of an ozziemoron.

Firstly, it does make me wince a bit when people say that Ashley should put his hand in his pocket. He's already cleared £90m of debt, which in the medium to long-term, is a fantastic bonus for the club.

Ever since the first Keegan era, I've had this sense that the club has been desperate to get back to the top, but not been realistic about what it takes. It's like there's a belief that it only needs one or two big signings, or a change of manager, to restore us to our supposedly rightful position. There's been an atmosphere of desperation that hasn't helped.

The new Board is taking the IMO entirely correct position that we have to be build from where we are, not from where we'd like to be, and that in the current times, you can spend £100 million and still finish outside the top four. A certain ex-Thailand Prime Minister is going to find that out the hard way.

The other problem is we missed the chance to establish ourselves in the top four, during the Sir Bob era. At a crucial point, when we should have kicked on, Sir Bob wasn't backed, and we started sliding back again. It's now more difficult to get up there than it was 10 years ago, and we just have to face that.

What's important is that we start to establish an upward momentum. It doesn't have to be meteoric. We just need a sense that the club and the team is improving.

Like already said we have been punching BELOW our weight recently, well below.

NUFC is as big as Arsenal and Chelsea, the only difference is they have competed on the pitch for years whereas we have not.

Its simple.

Newcastle United.............. present tense.

Mike Ashley and his 'front office team' = Newcastle United punching well below our listed weight as a 'big club'.

My sentiments exactly.

Our Premier League record:

3,6,2,2,13,13,11,4,3,5,14,7,13,12 - Avg 8th

So slightly below our punching weight, but not massively.

As I said in the Present Tense thread.

Our Champions League forays saw us punch above our weight, we are typically a top half pushing for Europe club.

Any club in that category can hit the jackpot in any given season and challenge the top 4, the problem as ourselves, Everton, Ipswich, Leeds etc have found is sustaining that. Poor decisions have cost us each time (with hindsight in appointing Kenny granted).

Don't be fooled with the '5th top club' spin, our average POSITION is 8th since we got promoted

Newcastle United.............. present tense.

Mike Ashley and his 'front office team' = Newcastle United punching well below our listed weight as a 'big club'.

My sentiments exactly.

Our Premier League record:

3,6,2,2,13,13,11,4,3,5,14,7,13,12 - Avg 8th

So slightly below our punching weight, but not massively.

As I said in the Present Tense thread.

Our Champions League forays saw us punch above our weight, we are typically a top half pushing for Europe club.

Any club in that category can hit the jackpot in any given season and challenge the top 4, the problem as ourselves, Everton, Ipswich, Leeds etc have found is sustaining that. Poor decisions have cost us each time (with hindsight in appointing Kenny granted).

Don't be fooled with the '5th top club' spin, our average POSITION is 8th since we got promoted

Shouldn't have much problem going slightly above our punching weight, but not massively, and into 4th then, especially with all the obvious improvements in the club now.

If ever there was a thread made for the boards resident twat (and I'm not talking about myself before the like of Brummie or Role Model chirp in), this was it. Welcome Shiteam. Let the fun begin.

already accepted the fact that we will be a midtable club for at least 10 years.

Take it you're referring to Sunderland there. If so, would just like to say: :lol:

already accepted the fact that we will be a midtable club for at least 10 years.

Take it you're referring to Sunderland there. If so, would just like to say: :lol:

That would be an improvement for Sunderland. Shiteam is actually a Spuds fan not a mackem.

That would be an improvement for Sunderland. Shiteam is actually a Spuds fan not a mackem.

Same disease, different location.

Guest MaetihS

under Keegan though, an ambitious manager, we will achieve better than mediocrity.

sounds like mediocre stats to me

Guest elbee909

sounds like mediocre stats to me

Why are you here?

:mystery:

Guest MaetihS

sad but true...nufc is slowly rotting into midtable also rans. but hell, is it not more exciting these days when we match up with the top 4 and pray there is not a mauling and hope we can hold our own against Pompey and Blackburn? this has been happening for past seasons and really this is more exciting (and upsetting) for us fans more than when we were in Champ League days.

Guest elbee909

Quick, somebody pretend to bite so he pisses off feeling that his day's been worth living.

Aha, I see  :mysterysolved:

Same disease, different location.

Being a s**** WUM can hardly be classed as a disease.

It can hardly be classed as a gift, either. Certainly not in his case anyway.