Anyone looked over the fence?

Guest Heneage

Whilst our squad is probably better than theirs in quality by quite some margin, is it seriously unthinkable that they won't possibly close the gap further...possibly even overtaking us this season at some point? ???

They are closing the gap as we speak. We still have one or two players of ridiculously high quality, but as a whole they are catching up.

Whilst our squad is probably better than theirs in quality by quite some margin, is it seriously unthinkable that they won't possibly close the gap further...possibly even overtaking us this season at some point? ???

Their first choice midfield is probably better than ours.  Not unthinkable, but unlikely since they have terrible defenders and still no goalscorer.

Some of the stuff in here is embarrassing. I know we're in need of signings but I didn't realise how desperate some people are for squad players from a team that finished three points above us.

In a perverse way, it could be good for us if Sunderland do improve and continue to attract quality players since it could help raise the desirability of Newcastle and the North-East as a location of *choice* for players in a way not seen for quite a few years. If Sunderland became more successful it would raise the profile and boost the reputation of football in the North-East, rather than being so London-centric as it has been lately. May even help us sign the very best players in future rather than struggling time after time. Maybe? ???

Some of the stuff in here is embarrassing. I know we're in need of signings but I didn't realise how desperate some people are for squad players from a team that finished three points above us.

Not as simple as that though is it? Chimbonda is a very good player in my opinion, so is Malbranque. Not fussed about Tainio but those two would have strengthened us (Chimbonda & Beye could have played alongside each other imo as RCB & RB).

Not as simple as that though is it? Chimbonda is a very good player in my opinion, so is Malbranque. Not fussed about Tainio but those two would have strengthened us (Chimbonda & Beye could have played alongside each other imo as RCB & RB).

That would have weakened us though (if we sign Coliccini), because Chimbonda's not a centre half and certainly not as good a defender as Faye imo.

Malbranque's a good player but he's not that good. You'd think the buggers had signed Kaka.

At present...

Given < Gordon

Beye > Chimbonda

Enrique > Collins

Taylor > Nosworthy

Faye > Higginbotham

Milner < Malbranque

Gutierrez > Richardson

Butt > Reid

Guthrie > Tainio

Owen > Diouf

Martins > Jones

Their defence is laughable, but there really isn't a lot in the midfield.  We are banking on Gutierrez to make an instant impact in a league in which he has no experience and Guthrie to instantly take the next step in his career from promising top 4 reject to regular first teamer in an aspiring (key word) top 8 side.  We are also counting on Butt to roll back the years and Geremi to recover his form.

That would have weakened us though (if we sign Coliccini), because Chimbonda's not a centre half and certainly not as good a defender as Faye imo.

Malbranque's a good player but he's not that good. You'd think the buggers had signed Kaka.

You're the one going over the top. No-one's saying, or suggesting that at all. Merely people saying they've made a good signing and that he could have done a decent job at Newcastle.

You're the one going over the top. No-one's saying, or suggesting that at all. Merely people saying they've made a good signing and that he could have done a decent job at Newcastle.

I hope we sign better, time will tell.

That's a valid point only if Ashley, Wise & co. bring home some good players before the deadline.  Then we can all breath a sign of relief and laugh at their mediocre signings and overexcitement.

Otherwise the simple fact is that they improved their squad by signing better players than they had before while we didn't.  I can turn my nose up at Taino and Malbranque now, but I won't be on August 31st if we are going into our season with Nicky Butt and Milner as first choice.

Well there's load of players you could say that about but I'd still be hoping for better. It certainly doesn't make me worry about them.

They're improving like, I'm surprised they've managed to attract Chimbonda, Malbranque and Diouf - three players who (if we're talking purely in ability terms) would nicely slot into our own squad and push for first team places. I'm surprised there weren't bigger clubs in for them three.

Obviously it's not as simple as that like, but you'd expect those three to do well for them if they stay fit. Tainio is hardly a bad player, either.

If they can keep the likes of Edwards fit as well, then they'll probably do alright next term. Surely it can only be better for us if Sunderland look like improving as far as motivation goes (for the owner, the board, the staff, the players and the fans).

Might be the kick up the arse that we all need if they can start putting it together again.

Guest Heneage

I'm unsure meself. I just think as good as the players signed wheres the goals coming from. And their CB situation is still big problem, they need 2 goal getters and 2CB'S.

They're improving like, I'm surprised they've managed to attract Chimbonda, Malbranque and Diouf - three players who (if we're talking purely in ability terms) would nicely slot into our own squad and push for first team places. I'm surprised there weren't bigger clubs in for them three.

Obviously it's not as simple as that like, but you'd expect those three to do well for them if they stay fit. Tainio is hardly a bad player, either.

If they can keep the likes of Edwards fit as well, then they'll probably do alright next term. Surely it can only be better for us if Sunderland look like improving as far as motivation goes (for the owner, the board, the staff, the players and the fans).

Might be the kick up the arse that we all need if they can start putting it together again.

These signings move them up a level no question.

I'd be interested to know how much growth Sunderland's management board have built in for this season in terms of their player salaries budget. They simply must have made a decision to ratchet up what they're prepared to pay their players - because those three Malbranque, Chimbonda and Diouf won't have come cheap in terms of salaries, surely?

So they're clearly bedding in for a longer stay in the Premiership this time round, under the management of an increasingly confident Roy Keane, and who's to say (?), maybe this will be a renaissance for them from here on in.

You're right - if this doesn't give the Ashley & Co a serious jolt then nothing will. Things are going to get interesting and more exciting as a result. :nods:

I think these signings make them better, but they will probably be similar to last season and end up finishing either in the same place or 1 place either side of that position. Last year they were very lucky to finish as high as they did, how many goals did they score in the last few minutes?

Guest Heneage

I think we pretty much dominated them at our place so. I think depending on how we do up until the first derby will have a big effect.