Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

ABH requires more than leaving a mark on someone. Usually involves injuries along the lines of wide spread bruising, swelling or knocking someone unconcious. It's basically giving someone a good kicking and isnt a trivial offence.

ABH requires more than leaving a mark on someone. Usually involves injuries along the lines of wide spread bruising, swelling or knocking someone unconcious. It's basically giving someone a good kicking and isnt a trivial offence.

Sounds like foreplay to me...

"They want to consider all the facts relating to the Ranger case and make sure that any decision is in line with the club’s disciplinary policy and employment law.”

I don't see how they can sack him as every single disciplinary policy will state that the disciplinary policy must be seen to be fair.  If this is the case then we've had players who have done as much as Ranger, Barton did worse and he wasn't sacked.

The fact that Ranger is allowed to train shows that whatever he's done is not seen as being bad enough to warrant a suspension.  If they cancel his contract then I think a Keegan type claim will hit the club as Ranger would win an unfair dismissal case.

The only way the club will be able to dismiss him is if they have disciplined him every time he’s stepped out of line and  if others who have done the same thing have been hit with the same disciplinary action which may be the case.

"They want to consider all the facts relating to the Ranger case and make sure that any decision is in line with the club’s disciplinary policy and employment law.”

I don't see how they can sack him as every single disciplinary policy will state that the disciplinary policy must be seen to be fair.  If this is the case then we've had players who have done as much as Ranger, Barton did worse and he wasn't sacked.

The fact that Ranger is allowed to train shows that whatever he's done is not seen as being bad enough to warrant a suspension.  If they cancel his contract then I think a Keegan type claim will hit the club as Ranger would win an unfair dismissal case.

The only way the club will be able to dismiss him is if they have disciplined him every time he’s stepped out of line and  if others who have done the same thing have been hit with the same disciplinary action which may be the case.

Good point.

Guest bimpy474

None of you has ever left marks on someone that you quarreled with?  God bless you, then.

I haven't. Am I alone in this  :undecided:

Me neither?!?!?

Me too, mind you i'm small with the power of a fanny fart.

Guest NewBoyPeetah

I would estimate that 95 percent of the people on this forum have done something worthy of ABH at some point in their life

You've got to be joking.

I would estimate that 95 percent of the people on this forum have done something worthy of ABH at some point in their life (I certainly have), and I doubt that the club can end his contract for this. I think we really ought to just get rid at this point, but this should not be the reason why.

I don't think 95% on here have knocked someone unconscious and broke their jaw though.

That said, pretty similar to what Carroll did to one of our own and we cheered him and sang songs about it

Good point.

It's not. Barton didn't do worse in his time with us.

I don't think 95% on here have knocked someone unconscious and broke their jaw though.

That said, pretty similar to what Carroll did to one of our own and we cheered him and sang songs about it

Ranger didn't break the lads jaw.

Ranger didn't break the lads jaw.

Ah, my mistake. Sure the press had it as that originally?

Should have got wireside on the case?

That's one offence.  Ranger's been charged for multiple offences.

Very true, my interest was piqued by the hypothetical rather than ranger. I genuinely do think most people have had a scrap at some point in their teens or so when they have technically assaulted someone or committed abh by the very strict definition, or had it happen to them. Seems I'm possibly wrong and for the record this isn't an attempt to be the hardman as it were, I've taken the hiding rather than dished it out!

That's one offence.  Ranger's been charged for multiple offences.

Barton and his brother were jailed (Bartons brothers was suspended) for what they did so it wasn't even one on to one and Ranger hasn't been found guilty. 

I'm not trying to defend what he's done and I wouldn't be bothered if the club did sack him, I just think he will have a defence against being sacked.  As I said the club would get slaughtered if they decided now to do something with Ranger.  Man City were right with the way they handled Tevez and the Mackems got it right with Bramble when they were both suspended.

Guest bimpy474

They can't sack him yet whatever they think, he will have to be found guilty for the offences he has been charged with for them to do that, as it stands his only breaking of clubs rules is drinking 48 hours before a game, and he can't be sacked for that.

The number of offenders involved in the act is irrelevant. If the club want rid of Ranger, it'll happen - provided he's found guilty, of course.

I think you'll find the bit in bold isn't true. 

How will the club get rid of him?  I think they have two choices other than terminating his contract which would be massively risky and the first is a free transfer and they'd still have to pay him until he finds a club. 

The other would be to pay up on his contract.

They might risk sacking him and hope that they win a case against him although I doubt they'd want to lose at another tribunal.