England

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

Whoever the cocommentator is hes got an agenda against Becks

Hes not having the greatest game but he is far from the worst

Guest quklaani

If I may interject...

Brown isn't good enough for Newcastle, never mind England.

Good enough to start for the european champions though.  The stick Brown gets never ceases to amaze me.  Same with Rooney, both are great players for the best team around, yet apparently are shit for England...think there might be a reason for that.

Then again, paradoxically I think Gerrard and Terry never really perform for England cause they're actually no way near as good as people think.  Biased I know, but I still think their comparitive club form backs me up.

A final word on England's best players being crap.  People whinge and whinge and whinge about Lampard and Gerrard together in a midfield.  How is it always Lampard's fault?  Why is it he, who is clearly not a centre mid and doesnt pretened to be, who should suffer to accomodate the most headless of all chickens?  If England want to make any progress Saint Steven should be dropped until he learns how to actually play in midfield, which will be never I'd guess.  Lampard should be allowed to play in his inimitable Lampardy way, with a pair of midfielders behind him who know how to defend.

I've noticed this place brings out the rants in me, I'm not sure why.

But at the same time, what have the Czech really done?

England at least try to play some football, Czech hasnt really done anything except scoring two goals.

You've not watched it then.

If I may interject...

Good enough to start for the european champions though.  The stick Brown gets never ceases to amaze me.  Same with Rooney, both are great players for the best team around, yet apparently are shit for England...think there might be a reason for that.

O'Shea was on the bench too. I guess that makes him Beckenbauer

Jesper Blomqvist - who? - started the 1999 final too.

If I may interject...

With players like him who've come through the ranks at Man United, I always wonder whether if they played for someone else, would Ferguson be interested in signing them, & Brown is one of the "No's" along with Phil Neville, Darren Fletcher & Nicky Butt.

I didn't think the opposition was anything great, so it's a worry. I hope there's some master plan unfolding in Capello's mind, because it looks to me like he doesn't know what to do.

I'd definitely play Bentley rather than Beckham. We need someone who can get forward from the right, and Beckham tends to wander around inside too much and get in other players' way.

Joe Cole definitely on the left, and Barry and Gerrard in the middle, I'd play. Seems obvious.

I've given up on Lampard. He looks so good for Chelsea, but they are nearly always better than the opposition they're playing, and that gives him lots of space and freedom. He's not the same player when he has to scrabble around.

Guest quklaani

If I may interject...

Good enough to start for the european champions though.  The stick Brown gets never ceases to amaze me.  Same with Rooney, both are great players for the best team around, yet apparently are s*** for England...think there might be a reason for that.

Stunning arguments these.  Wes Brown is the first choice right back for the European and League champions (and was also one of our best players in the European final, which is more than you can say for Jesper.)  The other two were never more than squad players.  Hes no world beater, but hes a good player, and easily better than most of the shite that play for the national team.  If he's so crap why haven't we signed a replacement, because we're so poor?  Hell we've even sold one of his main competitors for a place in the back four.  He might be the weakest link in the best back four around, but thats only because the other 3 are amongst the best players in the world in their positions.

If I may interject...

Then again, paradoxically I think Gerrard and Terry never really perform for England cause they're actually no way near as good as people think.  Biased I know, but I still think their comparitive club form backs me up.

A final word on England's best players being crap.  People whinge and whinge and whinge about Lampard and Gerrard together in a midfield.  How is it always Lampard's fault?  Why is it he, who is clearly not a centre mid and doesnt pretened to be, who should suffer to accomodate the most headless of all chickens?  If England want to make any progress Saint Steven should be dropped until he learns how to actually play in midfield, which will be never I'd guess.  Lampard should be allowed to play in his inimitable Lampardy way, with a pair of midfielders behind him who know how to defend.

Frank Lampard's not a central midfielder?

Harry's a bit upset...

can't say any of that suprised me, said when he capello was appointed that he may play a narrow midfield 4 with central midfielders like Gerrard out wide, that he'd obsess about big strong lads in the middle, that we'd play with no pace and the likes of Young would have no place in his team, and that Heskey would probably be back in the squad as Capello loves physical forwards.

If I may interject...

can see what quklaani is saying. i don't think he's a traditional central midfielder who can play in a 4-4-2 (well obviously he can, but he won't be at his best). When he's been at his best for Chelsea he's almost like a withdrawn striker bursting forward, bit like Owen for us at the end of last season, and he's had two midfielders behind him doing the more traditional 'central midfield' work. Same is true for Gerrard.

If I may interject...

Good enough to start for the european champions though.  The stick Brown gets never ceases to amaze me.  Same with Rooney, both are great players for the best team around, yet apparently are s*** for England...think there might be a reason for that.

Stunning arguments these. 

What? Using the same rationale as you?

Guest quklaani

If I may interject...

Not really, he's diabolical in a two man midfield.  Put him behind the forward(s) and allow him to do his thing, and he'll always get you goals.  if you partner him with some scouse pillock who overhits every second pass and whose idea of defending is to go in two footed and 3 seconds late then what can you expect?  This is a very extreme and quite inaccurate comparison...but would you play Riquelme alongside Gerrard?

My rationale was that Brown starts for United week in week out for a reason, your response was:  "but John O'shea gets on the bench and Jesper Blomqvist played when Keane and Scholes were suspended!!!!!!"  Stunning bit of logic that.

Sod it, lets hear your genius directly, if Wes Brown isn't good enough for Newcastle United, why does Alex Ferguson play him for Manchester United?

Heres a hint: its probably not because he says the word "hospikal."

If I may interject...

Not really, he's diabolical in a two man midfield.  Put him behind the forward(s) and allow him to do his thing, and he'll always get you goals.  if you partner him with some scouse pillock who overhits every second pass and whose idea of defending is to go in two footed and 3 seconds late then what can you expect?  This is a very extreme and quite inaccurate comparison...but would you play Riquelme alongside Gerrard?

My rationale was that Brown starts for United week in week out for a reason, your response was:  "but John O'shea gets on the bench and Jesper Blomqvist played when Keane and Scholes were suspended!!!!!!"  Stunning bit of logic that.

Sod it, lets hear your genius directly, if Wes Brown isn't good enough for Newcastle United, why does Alex Ferguson play him for Manchester United?

Heres a hint: its probably not because he says the word "hospikal."

Welcome to the board. I'm sure everyone's going to love your 'Ferguson's word is law' style patter.