So, who's signing in the final week?

Coxaux
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

negative spin on a board who ran a club that filled a 52,000 stadium for years and qualified regularly for europe ?

Positive spin on a board who have - so far - sold a manager short and gates have gone down ?

Aye, bonkers.

If its your opinion its positive, and if it isn't its negative Dave ? Isn't that correct ?

I'll leave this thread now, didn't mean to "hijack" it, although my opinion is these threads go into this area because - like it or not - they are topical and very much to the point.

:2funny:

The club can't win. The likes of NE5 and UV will pick holes in every single thing they do, it's as simple as that.

The best bit is they really don't see the irony in them doing this after telling everyone else season after season they shouldn't be doing it. :lol: The difference of course being that the old lot had been in charge 10 years and had their chance, whereas this lot have barely got their foot through the door.

10 years of Shepherd et al, but not allowed to strongly criticise.

1 year of Ashley et al, but are allowed to strongly criticise.

It's bonkers.

negative spin on a board who ran a club that filled a 52,000 stadium for years and qualified regularly for europe ?

Positive spin on a board who have - so far - sold a manager short and gates have gone down ?

Aye, bonkers.

If its your opinion its positive, and if it isn't its negative Dave ? Isn't that correct ?

I'll leave this thread now, didn't mean to "hijack" it, although my opinion is these threads go into this area because - like it or not - they are topical and very much to the point.

The point being the old board had time to prove their worth (and their weaknesses), yet you're not willing to give the new lot any time to prove anything.

You point out only the great things the old board did, but only the poor things the new board have done. This is the exact thing I'm on about. I notice you've failed to mention their biggest decision so far, which was to bring back the man you worship as manager. Why is that, I wonder.

Anyway, let's leave it. Again.

put more bluntly...where were we when the old board left and where were we going ?

The club can't win. The likes of NE5 and UV will pick holes in every single thing they do, it's as simple as that.

The best bit is they really don't see the irony in them doing this after telling everyone else season after season they shouldn't be doing it. :lol: The difference of course being that the old lot had been in charge 10 years and had their chance, whereas this lot have barely got their foot through the door.

It's bonkers.

Aye, bonkers.

The point being the old board had time to prove their worth (and their weaknesses), yet you're not willing to give the new lot any time to prove anything.

You point out only the great things the old board did, but only the poor things the new board have done. This is exactly what I'm on about. I notice you've failed to mention their biggest decision so far, which was to bring back the man you worship as manager. Why is that, I wonder.

this really is showing all the hallmarks of going to hell but i have to pull you on this a bit dave; how much time is enough?

the season starts in 2 days, do we just write it off 'cause they're still finding their feet?  or perhaps better phrased do you think we should accept it being written off because they're finding their feet? (not that it's an automatic write off obviously i understand that)

NE5 said elsewhere he's put his 3 years money in, doesn't he have a right, if you will, to expect something this season?  next?  when? 

when his next 3 years ST money is due?

i just don't know

It's bonkers.

Aye, bonkers.

You point out only the great things the old board did, but only the poor things the new board have done. This is exactly what I'm on about. I notice you've failed to mention their biggest decision so far, which was to bring back the man you worship as manager. Why is that, I wonder.

this really is showing all the hallmarks of going to hell but i have to pull you on this a bit dave; how much time is enough?

the season starts in 2 days, do we just write it off 'cause they're still finding their feet?  or perhaps better phrased do you think we should accept it being written off because they're finding their feet? (not that it's an automatic write off obviously i understand that)

NE5 said elsewhere he's put his 3 years money in, doesn't he have a right, if you will, to expect something this season?  next?  when? 

i just don't know

he put his money in under souness and roeder aswell. did he complain about the way that board was taking the club ?

Gates also diminished at the end of the old board's tenure though. It was only negative spin towards the end of the tenure as we were in rapid decline, even you must see that?

I don't also feel it's positive spin as you call it on the new board, if they can even be called that anymore, it's more so people are willing to give them a chance.

You're right, our average gates last season were almost a thousand per league game up on the season before. 

I think Dave is trying to say that its not always about the big negatives but some of the positives. We have done some good things this window unfortunately they arent all positive but its not going to be perfect because of many factors one of which is the lack of time the board/new set up has been together.

Well Keegan himself has already said that he only wants players who will play for the shirt and understand what it means to play for nufc - do you think a player who was needed to be convinced by an extra 10-20k per week to come here would fit into that select category of a player wanting to play for nufc?

Oh please. Find me a manager who doesn't say that.

The first player we signed cancelled his contract with his previous club so he could get a premier league salary FFS. Are you deluded enough to think he joined specifically because he wanted to play for US, and that he wouldn't have gone somewhere else if they'd offered him a better deal?

Thats not quite what im getting at, but i do see your point.

Who are you to say that that isnt the case? Alledgedly there was a top 4 club involved as well....im certainly not saying it IS the case but who knows for sure.??

All im saying is that if Keegan has to actively offer the player too much as opposed to a marked improvement on his previous contract then wouldnt it contradict his criteria, theres a definite difference there in my eyes.

Owen and Luque would fit into the first criteria (of being offered too much to come here),  Jonas, Colocinni and Guthrie fit into the second criterai (Of having an marked improvemnt on there previous contract). I see the difference there, do you? and do you think its the right way to go, or do you beleive that if a player doesnt want to come here we should offer him monetary compensation in order to get him commited to the team?

In an ideal world id rather have player happy to be here - seems to be the crux of what Keegan wants as well.

Tell me what Jonas and Colocinni are on and we might be able to debate what "too much" is. I don't see how your argument even gets off the ground without knowing that. Quotes like this:

“At the end of a player’s career, the only thing that counts is their checking account, they don’t feed themselves with cups neither with medals, and I fear he could miss the contract of his life.

“The pay rise is very important for Fabricio,” he added. “Here (in Spain) you have a better life, but a player’s career is very short"

don't exactly scream to me that Colocinni's motive for joining were football based.

FWIW for the vast majority of players I don't think what they're paid makes the slightest difference as to their "commitment" or how they perform on the pitch, it only affects which club they play for each season.

i understand what your getting at and i suppose you're right to an extent, im not articulating myself well and i suppose without the cold hard figures i cant really make too much of my point. But i do stand by my belief that there is a difference between a player coming for an imprioved contract and a player coming because of a deal they couldnt refuse.

I just dont beleive that Colo or Jonas head was turned only because of the money and that it was achoice to play in the league as well as the club -  maybe im being idealist.

Having said all that - you're kinda stepping on your own mantra if your intimating that we overpaid for Jonas and Collocinni and that we are in fact backing keegan by overpaying for "quality players"- dont let that mighty contradiction worry you too much though. we do seem to be backing our manager and the board do seem to be looking to aquire quality players, very amibitious of them, i suppose you cant fault them for that.

;)

It's bonkers.

Aye, bonkers.

i just don't know

he put his money in under souness and roeder aswell. did he complain about the way that board was taking the club ?

seemingly not, but he was happy with that for some reason...you and i might not be but it met his expectations evidently and he's judging this board via the same criteria, i see nothing wrong with that because i'm doing the same

i've personally always had a problem, during the Shep years, with the fact we rarely had a complete and balanced sqaud (more accurately that it seemed we weren't even attempting to acheive that goal) and that is the basis upon which i'll be judging MA & co come tuesday morning

i'm not saying that in the one year he's owned the club we should have the perfect squad 'cause that's impossible obviously, we're improving but not at a rate (of speed or depth) that i consider satisfactory right now

Aye because appointing Souness and Roeder met all of our expectations.

did they?  our expectations must differ wildly then

I was being sarcastic at you said how they met his expectations.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Ifeel better now :D

Aye because appointing Souness and Roeder met all of our expectations.

Our performances under them did apart from when Roeder got us to 7th, by that I mean expectations of performance under those two.

It doesn't matter what Ashley etc if I'm being honest as NE5 you know if they do splash the cash you'll just say well the old board done this and yous weren't happy with this or why is nobody moaning about these so-called 'trophy' players now.

Well mate, prior to the sale of Milner, we needed a striker and a central midfield player. Quality ones, not necessarily pricey, but accept that they may not come cheap. There is no point in saying that if someone who is the player the manager thinks will make the difference but he costs 8m quid for instance, telling him we don't have this money.

That is utter bollocks. Nor should we be telling him he has to sell first, thats the point.

If the Milner money is spent on a quality striker who improves the team, then I would consider it a good swap, but the overall feeling I have ref my above comments, would remain until basically they show me they are prepared to sign player for the reason of improving the team and squad as a whole when players become available and balancing the books later if necessary.

I don't think we have told him to sell first. Keegan himself has said the money is there, that is a fact. I believe Keegan, do you not?

I think we all know we need another striker and a couple of midfielders, in particular top drawer ones, but Rome wasn't built in a day as they say, you can't expect all of the shambles that have occurred over the past four years prior to Keegan to be fixed in one window.

The Milner deal was far too good to turn down, for a player of limited ability.

Well tooj, I'm going to pose a question here.

If we sign a quality striker [for instance] in the next 3 days, why has it waited until the last few days if the money was already there ?

I'm all for Keegan setting standards, as I would too, and I've always said its quality that counts. But they have had all summer, have they not ? In fact, this Wise, Jiminez etc have had since January to identify and find a badly needed striker. Plenty of people have made comments about "timing" etc and how things would be "better", so why not ?  You can't tell me that there are loads of players out there who would be better than Ameobi and even do a good short term. This need is urgent mate. Its as urgent as anything else I can remember.

I understand what Keegan is doing here. He's trying to stick to his principles and bring in quality, but the player(s)  he wants are going to cost money so he's reluctant to bring in a short term buy. Somethings got to give, or we will go until January at least with what we have and throw away the chance of a good season.

Good way to run a club ? Is it bollocks.

how about.....because quite a lot of deals go through at the end of the window when players and clubs have a better view of their options. think owen and rooney for example.

you mean to say that most clubs make panic signings and/or loan deals ?

Well spotted, and thanks for proving my point.

what on earth are you rattling on about. neither were panics or loans.

well, you will have to ask some of the numerous people that called them panic signings what they mean, not me, as I didn't either.

i just don't know

Well yes actually, I think the next three years is a fair period of time to judge where we're going as a club. It allows them to learn from their mistakes (they have certainly made some, and that's just what we know about) and it allows Keegan to realise his plans within the basis of his contract.

I just don't see why the club should be expected to change everything around in a year, especially given where we were before the takeover. Anyone would think we were already gunning for the top four before Ashley arrived; well I'm sorry but we weren't.

Btw I don't see why the fact NE5 has taken advantage of the three year deal keeps coming up. I've done it, as have many others - it's to save me money, it has no bearing on my level of loyalty to the club whatsoever.

The club can't lose. The likes of Dave and Baggio will lick their arse for every single thing they do, it's as simple as that.

I'd like you to point out where I've criticised the club other than disagreeing with selling Milner now, over their slipshod communication with supporters, their sluggishness to address the squad depth before the season started (which we've got away with up to now), and their lack of investment (with club generated money) in the squad should the situation not significantly change from what it is now.

I hardly see that as criticising everything they do. I certainly haven't criticised their signings (although personally I wouldn't have spent £10m on a defender from another league, I think that's a big risk), but I'm also not going to proclaim them as some of the best signings the club has ever made based on a couple of games as it seems a lot of others have.

he's on about the appointment of souness and roeder mick, that the old board appointing them met our expectations and was being sarcy

Sorry, I edited my post once I'd seen yours.

i just don't know

Well yes actually, I think the next three years is a fair period of time to judge where we're going as a club. It allows them to learn from their mistakes (they have certainly made some, and that's just what we know about) and it allows Keegan to realise his plans within the basis of his contract.

I just don't see why the club should be expected to change everything around in a year, especially given where we were before the takeover. Anyone would think we were already gunning for the top four before Ashley arrived; well I'm sorry but we weren't.

Btw I don't see why the fact NE5 has taken advantage of the three year deal keeps coming up. I've done it, as have many others - it's to save me money, it has no bearing on my level of loyalty to the club whatsoever.

i'd agree three years is a good period, that shouldn't stop me or anyone else from having an opinion about whether they're anywhere near getting where we want to go after one year does it?  or two when we get there

if the window closes with the squad as it is now then the next window becomes more critical and consequently more difficult, and reaching our goal will be harder as we eat into the 3 years

you can see that right?

i brought up the 3 year thing to point out that NE5, and yourself if you were so inclined, has every right to be unhappy if his cash isn't being invested in players on the pitch...i don't know how many people have put in for 3 years but lets imagine it's a lot; if the club keep hold of the majority of that money for the 3 years it would be pretty fucken poor, don't you agree?