Arsenal (a) 30/08/08 5:30ko (Setanta)

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I thought Coloccini was meant to be good at right-back? Stick him in there, Taylor-Bassong at CB.

If we have to use those three, I'd rather keep Colo at CB and put Taylor out to the right.

Same here

Bassong can play right back can't he? His pace would maybe make him a better option.

He's left footed.

Ah  :razz:

Guest alijmitchell

on a more serious note, can anyone find somewhere offering odds on Nile Ranger as a first/last/anytime goalscorer?

www.daftodds.com-ranger-brrrrap-firstlastgoallikefuck

mackems.gif

Guest musika

Anyone else feel like the optimism has been somewhat drained out after the fiasco with James Milner? After the Coventry game I thought we had a great chance against Arsenal, but the events of the last few days have turned all that on it's head for me. It concerns me that Keegan wanted Milner - who hasn't had a bad performance this season imo - to stay, and yet the board sold him anyway

2-0 loss today for me... Unfortunately.

Exhibit A: -

"At the end of the day it was my decision to sell him. We got an offer which I felt was good value. It might not look a positive move to fans at the moment, but what will happen in the next two to three days will be positive.

I would not have sold him if it did not move the club forward."

Kevin Keegan, Friday 29/Aug/08

Keegan bigging Milner up a few days before is just a way of getting more money for him. Keegan has recently sung the praises of Ameobi and Smith. Do you think Keegan really doesn't want to sell them either?

Two letters.

B & S.

For weeks before Milner was sold Keegan was saying how he hoped the board would give Milner the contract he wanted, and Keegan also openly confessed that he was never involved in those negotiations.

Ofcourse Keegan is going to say the decision was his - Imagine if he said otherwise?

The fact that KK had to actually make a statement to allay fears of a rift between himself and the board speaks volumes in itself.

Anyone else feel like the optimism has been somewhat drained out after the fiasco with James Milner? After the Coventry game I thought we had a great chance against Arsenal, but the events of the last few days have turned all that on it's head for me. It concerns me that Keegan wanted Milner - who hasn't had a bad performance this season imo - to stay, and yet the board sold him anyway

"At the end of the day it was my decision to sell him. We got an offer which I felt was good value. It might not look a positive move to fans at the moment, but what will happen in the next two to three days will be positive.

Keegan bigging Milner up a few days before is just a way of getting more money for him. Keegan has recently sung the praises of Ameobi and Smith. Do you think Keegan really doesn't want to sell them either?

Two letters.

B & S.

For weeks before Milner was sold Keegan was saying how he hoped the board would give Milner the contract he wanted, and Keegan also openly confessed that he was never involved in those negotiations.

Ofcourse Keegan is going to say the decision was his - Imagine if he said otherwise?

The fact that KK had to actually make a statement to allay fears of a rift between himself and the board speaks volumes in itself.

Link?

Keegan, like us all, could never have foreseen a £12m bid for an average player.

It is possible that KK wanted Milner to stay, yet thought Villas offer was too good to refuse and the club made a decision to sell.

Of course thats just stupid.

Yeah but that doesn't sell papers or cause widespread panic.

Guest musika

Let's not forget that it wasn't Newcastle United's decision to sell Milner. Milner demanded a transfer after he didn't receive the contract that he thought he deserved. If Milner had never kicked up a stink regarding his contract he would still be at Newcastle. So Milner wants contract -> Keegan wants Milner to get his contract -> Milner never gets the offer he wants -> Milner demands to leave -> Milner leaves.

How the F does that translate to KK's "it was my decision to sell him"?

Two letters.

B & S.

Conjecture.

Let's not forget that it wasn't Newcastle United's decision to sell Milner. Milner demanded a transfer after he didn't receive the contract that he thought he deserved. If Milner had never kicked up a stink regarding his contract he would still be at Newcastle. So Milner wants contract -> Keegan wants Milner to get his contract -> Milner never gets the offer he wants -> Milner demands to leave -> Milner leaves.

So if it was Milner's decision to leave, how could anyone at the club be at fault.

He wanted a wage rise that, in the opinion of many people, he did not deserve.

Guest neesy111

milner put the transfer request in, so he wanted to leave to get more money

therefore he is a greedy bastard imo

Guest musika
Although the United boss has been kept informed of the progress made in the negotiations, he has not been part of the talks and revealed he expects to know more when he meets with the club’s board on Wednesday.

“I’m fairly relaxed about it, but I will know more on Wednesday,” said Keegan ahead of Newcastle’s first home game of the season.

“There are other players as well to discuss – James Milner and Steve Harper – and that will be done next Wednesday once the Coventry game is out of the way. I have not been party to these talks, meaning I have not been in the room, but I have been informed and I don’t see any reason why all these players whose contracts have got to certain stages, why we can’t secure all those players.

“Is it a concern that it is taking a long time? No it is not. These things happen. The main thing is, at the end of the day, it will be sorted.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/sundaysun/tm_headline=keegan-relaxed-over-owen-s-future-at-united%26method=full%26objectid=21590589%26siteid=61634-name_page.html

Does that sound to you like someone who's expecting a player to be sold soon? Unless ofcourse Harper is leaving this week too, in which case I concede error.

Although the United boss has been kept informed of the progress made in the negotiations, he has not been part of the talks and revealed he expects to know more when he meets with the club’s board on Wednesday.

“I’m fairly relaxed about it, but I will know more on Wednesday,” said Keegan ahead of Newcastle’s first home game of the season.

“There are other players as well to discuss – James Milner and Steve Harper – and that will be done next Wednesday once the Coventry game is out of the way. I have not been party to these talks, meaning I have not been in the room, but I have been informed and I don’t see any reason why all these players whose contracts have got to certain stages, why we can’t secure all those players.

“Is it a concern that it is taking a long time? No it is not. These things happen. The main thing is, at the end of the day, it will be sorted.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/sundaysun/tm_headline=keegan-relaxed-over-owen-s-future-at-united%26method=full%26objectid=21590589%26siteid=61634-name_page.html

Does that sound to you like someone who's expecting a player to be sold soon? Unless ofcourse Harper is leaving this week too, in which case I concede error.

If someone bids £12m for Harper this week, he'll go. You can take my word for it.

milner put the transfer request in, so he wanted to leave to get more money

therefore he is a greedy bastard imo

yes, but we established in the Milner thread that you have an irrational understanding of the situation and a twisted perception of the events.

How doesnt it?

We could have kept him as he was under contract and made him stay.

Anyhow...I'm not going to argue with something that is irrelevant when KK has actually came out and said that we had too good an offer come to us and that it was his decision. 

Shall we ask KK to put it in writing to make it even more legally binding just for you?

Reet...my take on the situation is that I can imagine it would have went a little like this:

KK "Ok James, we understand your frustration, but unfortunately your not actually THAT good.."

JM "Oh...shit...I'm not am I...bugger!"

KK "Aston Villa have put in a 12m offer, I laughed and literally ripped the money out of their hands before they had seen your assists/crosses/goals ratio, 12m for you...'kin idiots!"

JM "....umm...bye then."

JM ...thinking "Oh...I thought I'd be able to stay here, and get a better contract, arse"

KK "Tara! 12million for him...haha...hahahha....hahahhahaha....muhahahahhahahhahahah" - Closes the door behind JM.

*Please note I actually like Milner...just a bit of light humour in an otherwise depressing week.*

He's gone, he wasnt as good as some people make out, lets fucking get on with things and HOWAY THE LADS!!!  :indi:

Guest musika

If someone bids £12m for Harper this week, he'll go. You can take my word for it.

He'd be regretting that if Given picked up an injury. I understand your point, and maybe Keegan did jump at the mention of £12m for Milner.. But then maybe not.

I'll be very interested to see who comes in before Monday night when the transfer window closes. If no one who would replace Milner does, then I'll have my doubts.

Guest musika

How doesnt it?

Contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on in football these days.

The same can be said for what's written in the press (and what players / managers say). How many times do we hear "I love it here" -> /player leaves and is seen kissing the badge of his new club 2 weeks later.

How doesnt it?

The same can be said for what's written in the press (and what players / managers say). How many times do we hear "I love it here" -> /player leaves and is seen kissing the badge of his new club 2 weeks later.

Aye, Man Utd had no chance of keeping Ronaldo once he turned around and said he wanted to go to Real Madrid, what was the final transfer figure again? Think it was a little more than Barry's fee wasn't it?

Guest musika

How doesnt it?

Aye, Man Utd had no chance of keeping Ronaldo once he turned around and said he wanted to go to Real Madrid, what was the final transfer figure again? Think it was a little more than Barry's fee wasn't it?

Ronaldo had just won the league and champions league double and was in debt to a manager in Ferguson who had made him the world class player that he is today.

Barry was a surprise, I admit, but unlike Milner, he never requested a transfer.

But then you have the likes of Berbatov and Hleb, who force their way out of their club, and Milner could very well have fallen under that category.