But we're owned by a billionaire!

Dave

My opinion is in the Arshavin thread, no point in repeating the detail here because people don't like to read/hear/believe it . . .

Summarised - there is something not right going on at my club.

(I am not a "reds under the bed" Daily Mail reader Dave!!!)

But . . .

I'd be more worried if I was a City supporter wrt something not being right. They are spending big mind.

That is a different kind of "not right", but I wholeheartedly agree with you on that - if "whatshisname" was the owner here I would be ****ing myself . . . !!

1. huge crowds

2. big turnover

3. increased TV money

once the initial debt was cleared dave it didn't have to be run off his own money, it could be surely run spending a good amount (more than 10m net anyway) based on the 'spurs model' of signing players who'll likely keep some value in the market

this will go on forever if the usual suspects come in but no's 1-3 are enough for me

i never expected abramovich-esque levels of spending but i truly expected more than this - yes i know i'm not allowed to form an opinion before sep 2nd so in the event we buy some players please disregard

Pretty much all clubs in the Premier League have 1-3, how many have spent more than £10m net this summer? Honest question, I don't know.

Our spending power reflects our finishing positions over the last couple of years, surely. We're therefore cutting our cloth accordingly. If we finish this year well in the top half I'd expect higher spending next year to build on that. Is that concept difficult to accept for our fans?

well your first point is bullshit dave, are you saying our crowds & turnover are anywhere neat pompey, hull, stoke, blackburn, 'boro etc...?

our spending power reflects what we're spending dave, nothing more nothing less...i find your argument laughable - you can only increase spend if you improve matters on the pitch without spending?  that's the rationale and it isn't how football works

i'll let NE5 and others take it from here

Mrmojorisin75, I re-read Dave's words. I think you misunderstood what he meant.

He is not comparing Newcastle United's crowd with the crowds of the others. He is merely stating that pretty much all the clubs in the Premier League has huge crowds and increased TV money. It is a fair statement if you look at the crowds that attend Championship games, League 1 games etc. I see no problem with that.

As for the other statement, let us all be realistic, in this capitalist market today, football is a sport no doubt but also a sound and profitable investment. How many will be like Roman Abramovich?

The world is realistic. No matter passionate a person may be towards sports, profit/money is still the important thing. Of course, there can be exception but it is rare in today's modern capitalist market. Football does not work like in the past anymore sadly. Things have changed and move on. What Dave said is the bible for the modern capitalist football market today.

1. huge crowds

2. big turnover

3. increased TV money

once the initial debt was cleared dave it didn't have to be run off his own money, it could be surely run spending a good amount (more than 10m net anyway) based on the 'spurs model' of signing players who'll likely keep some value in the market

this will go on forever if the usual suspects come in but no's 1-3 are enough for me

i never expected abramovich-esque levels of spending but i truly expected more than this - yes i know i'm not allowed to form an opinion before sep 2nd so in the event we buy some players please disregard

Pretty much all clubs in the Premier League have 1-3, how many have spent more than £10m net this summer? Honest question, I don't know.

Our spending power reflects our finishing positions over the last couple of years, surely. We're therefore cutting our cloth accordingly. If we finish this year well in the top half I'd expect higher spending next year to build on that. Is that concept difficult to accept for our fans?

well your first point is bullshit dave, are you saying our crowds & turnover are anywhere neat pompey, hull, stoke, blackburn, 'boro etc...?

our spending power reflects what we're spending dave, nothing more nothing less...i find your argument laughable - you can only increase spend if you improve matters on the pitch without spending?  that's the rationale and it isn't how football works

First point, see the bit where I said 'pretty much all'. Obviously some clubs have bigger stadia than others, but most in the Premier League get 30k+, and all get the increased TV money.

Second point, where did I say we should be (or are) spending nothing? I didn't say that at all.

i'll rephrase then; why must/does spending have any link to last seasons performance?  or the last few seasons even?

i guess you're gonna use the europe argument (i.e. players won't come) but that's doesn't work either, the amount we're willing to spend has nothing to do with europe at this point imo as the amount clubs get from the waffa are negligible anyway

so come on then, given our "status" compared to many other clubs in the league with regards my original 1-3 why are we not spending more?  (lets just assume there's a standing agreement this becomes moot if we spend rather than you tell me the windows not closed yet)

My opinion is in the Arshavin thread, no point in repeating the detail here because people don't like to read/hear/believe it . . .

Summarised - there is something not right going on at my club.

(I am not a "reds under the bed" Daily Mail reader Dave!!!)

But . . .

I'd be more worried if I was a City supporter wrt something not being right. They are spending big mind.

That is a different kind of "not right", but I wholeheartedly agree with you on that - if "whatshisname" was the owner here I would be ****ing myself . . . !!

agree, everything has to be put in perspective i guess

1. huge crowds

2. big turnover

3. increased TV money

Mrmojorisin75, I re-read Dave's words. I think you misunderstood what he meant.

He is not comparing Newcastle United's crowd with the crowds of the others. He is merely stating that pretty much all the clubs in the Premier League has huge crowds and increased TV money. It is a fair statement if you look at the crowds that attend Championship games, League 1 games etc. I see no problem with that.

As for the other statement, let us all be realistic, in this capitalist market today, football is a sport no doubt but also a sound and profitable investment. How many will be like Roman Abramovich?

The world is realistic. No matter passionate a person may be towards sports, profit/money is still the important thing. Of course, there can be exception but it is rare in today's modern capitalist market. Football does not work like in the past anymore sadly. Things have changed and move on. What Dave said is the bible for the modern capitalist football market today.

Ericz i'm no finance guy but i reckon if you took our figures for 1-3 and compared them to the rest of the league we'd likely be overall 5th (and wage bill granted), 3rd for crowd lest we forget

i don't think i did misread at all, i know what he's saying i just don't agree with it, never have done

1. huge crowds

2. big turnover

3. increased TV money

First point, see the bit where I said 'pretty much all'. Obviously some clubs have bigger stadia than others, but most in the Premier League get 30k+, and all get the increased TV money.

Second point, where did I say we should be (or are) spending nothing? I didn't say that at all.

i'll rephrase then; why must/does spending have any link to last seasons performance?  or the last few seasons even?

i guess you're gonna use the europe argument (i.e. players won't come) but that's doesn't work either, the amount we're willing to spend has nothing to do with europe at this point imo as the amount clubs get from the waffa are negligible anyway

so come on then, given our "status" compared to many other clubs in the league with regards my original 1-3 why are we not spending more?  (lets just assume there's a standing agreement this becomes moot if we spend rather than you tell me the windows not closed yet)

The previous few seasons determine our cashflow, our status and reputation, our potential for the future. How can it possibly not be relevant? ???

The top four is virtually inpenetrable because they can all bank on the ludicrous amounts of money flowing in from the Champions League every year. If Liverpool finished 5th for three years on the spin do you think their spending would continue as now?

1. huge crowds

2. big turnover

3. increased TV money

The previous few seasons determine our cashflow, our status and reputation, our potential for the future. How can it possibly not be relevant? ???

The top four is virtually inpenetrable because they can all bank on the ludicrous amounts of money flowing in from the Champions League every year. If Liverpool finished 5th for three years on the spin do you think their spending would continue as now?

i can't do this again dave, others will pick it up and run with it if they can be arsed

lets just hope we're gonna pull something out of the hat eh?

1. huge crowds

2. big turnover

3. increased TV money

i can't do this again dave, others will pick it up and run with it if they can be arsed

lets just hope we're gonna pull something out of the hat eh?

Hey, time will tell. Nothing is more real than the truth I guess : D

This club has been mismanaged and squandering its potential for decades.

It looks to me as if the headlong rush to 'do a Leeds' has been halted by the new owner.

The last regime would have had us out of the premiership and skint.

I guess the other thing that irks me is that as fans we should know more than anyone else that simply spending lots of money guarantees nothing. We have to build to get to where we want to be, and build on solid foundations.

We have our best ever manager in, who knows exactly what is required to do that, why can't we give him time to work his magic? Why does it all have to be here and now, this summer?

Ashley's comment about KK being very specific about the kind of player we buy is very heartening for me.

It looks to me as if the headlong rush to 'do a Leeds' has been halted by the new owner.

But, must we rush from one stupid extreme to the other stupid extreme?

I was one of those optimistic IDIOTS who immediately (initially) thought that Ashley would get the balance right . . .

I know it's kinda inevitable in a thread of this nature, but please let's not turn this into another thread about the merits (or otherwise) of the previous board.

They had their time, it's someone else's now.

I was one of those optimistic IDIOTS who immediately (initially) thought that Ashley would get the balance right . . .

me too, didn't/doesn't have to be like abramovich but so far this ain't enough by anyones standards

on a side note if someone had told me in may smith & duff would still be at the club on august 28th i'd have been in fucken tears, i almost am now just thinking about it again

I know it's kinda inevitable in a thread of this nature, but please let's not turn this into another thread about the merits (or otherwise) of the previous board.

They had their time, it's someone else's now.

My only concern (and it is a major one) is the intentions and capabilities of the current board (well, 'owner', really).

We need to wait until the midnight sept 1st before we accuse him of not getting it right.

2 Chairman in a short space of time doesn't help the cause if he also fails to get players in we need.

me too, didn't/doesn't have to be like abramovich but so far this ain't enough by anyones standards

on a side note if someone had told me in may smith & duff would still be at the club on august 28th i'd have been in fucken tears, i almost am now just thinking about it again

Every time I go into my local shops, the owner gets out a freash packet of tissues for me (without being asked) on that one (Smith/Duff) !!

PS, unusually, I think that DUFF is the worse of the two.  What an ***h*le !!!!

You see I'm not sure how the club is to blame for that. Those players aren't very good, and probably on huge wages. How are they meant to be moved on when everyone knows this? We can't force clubs to buy them.

I think Ashleys doing OK, still learning and getting his backroom team in place, started badly transfer wise when he allowed SA to take on alot of crap on huge wages last season (Geremi,Barton,Smith,Viduka) id be happy taking it slowly and getting in 2-3 players like Jonas and Coloccini every preseason and adding another of that quality in the jan window. we clearly need a few more players but id rather struggle with a small squad than buy a Duff,Geremi,Smith type just to get the numbers in.

I expected more commitment than he's shown in terms of finance, i wasn't expecting RA style, but something decent to jolt us forward quickly, then to let the club build on that by itself.

As it is, he's done quite a shit job so far and it won't get any better from his recent comments. Wouldn't be arsed to see him leave for a proper billionaire.

Every time I go into my local shops, the owner gets out a freash packet of tissues for me (without being asked) on that one (Smith/Duff) !!

PS, unusually, I think that DUFF is the worse of the two.  What an ***h*le !!!!

yeah i agree about duff, waste of skin

We need to wait until the midnight sept 1st before we accuse him of not getting it right.

2 Chairman in a short space of time doesn't help the cause if he also fails to get players in we need.

Hmm, things may well happen (but they also may not) by then - but waiting so long (I don't care about comparisons with 'other' clubs) is not the right way to do it.

Not only did I think Asley would 'get the balance right', I thought he would also show a lot of expertise and business acumen - and "do a QUALITY job, in all aspects of the job" (selection of staff, appropriate expenditure, 'timely' expenditure . .  etc, etc, etc).

Hence, my expressed concerns.