But we're owned by a billionaire!

Dave

Mike Ashley has spent about a fifth (£250M) of his £1.4Bn wealth on Newcastle.

Abramovich has spent about one fortieth (£600M) of his £24Bn wealth on Chelsea.

Who's risked more?

Anyone complaining wants their f***ing head read.

Shouldnt have got in over his head then should he!

He hasn't.

In relation to your arguement, he has!

Jesus wept :lol:

and then I just bump in and post this link.

Before anything's being said: yes, I know it's The Sun.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1605899.ece

Now, let me just quote this rather interesting part :

Chelsea’s latest financial figures revealed the club are £736m in debt with £578m of that owed to Abramovich in an interest-free loan.

Since those figures were released, they have paid a further £24m for Deco and Jose Bosingwa.

And ask you all, would you rather have this?

Abramovich is letting them pay interest on £160M of loans?

:kasper:

Prob not even worth mentioning but a little rumour that I dont believe myself but its what i heard from a mate...

Another topic at the meeting was to discuss the executive boxes that have not sold as usual.  Apparently the usual occupants have been told there will be one signing that will blow everyone away. so they all bought there boxes...?

Prob not even worth mentioning but a little rumour that I dont believe myself but its what i heard from a mate...

Another topic at the meeting was to discuss the executive boxes that have not sold as usual.  Apparently the usual occupants have been told there will be one signing that will blow everyone away. so they all bought there boxes...?

Does your mate read Rivals, by any chance?

Guest sicko2ndbest

Honestly, I take it all back MA is the man!

anyone else heard this?

True or not I still think people are gonna eat there words surely there is no way we will not sign anyone before end of aug.  Maybe there trying to pull a hard one off and if fail will bring others in last minute?

anyone else heard this?

True or not I still think people are gonna eat there words surely there is no way we will not sign anyone before end of aug.  Maybe there trying to pull a hard one off and if fail will bring others in last minute?

urgh!

Fnarr Fnarr.

My personal belief at the moment is that Keegan has set his sights high in terms of the players he wants to bring in. He keeps re-iterating in interviews that anyone who comes in has to be almost top quality. We're probably having difficulty in bringing in these kind of players given our current reputation and standing and so it's probably gonna be a case of the fans and Keegan settling for players who aren't quite as good but will do a job for this season or signing no-one and just hoping we can get away with it this season then go back in for the higher quality players next year.

Great thread, nice lively debate. I don't know see anyone picking up on this but I think Skelator's theory is pretty interesting and something I have thought about a bit. I just hope something gives before midnight on Monday.

In regards to the OP, I think most people know my feelings on this, I think underwhelmed is the best way to describe my feeling’s thus far about Ashley’s stewardship. We could be on the brink of a very exciting season but that could be undone if we don’t buy 2 to 3 quality players in positions we need before the end of the month. It’s looking increasingly unlikely and that’s the part I am most frustrated with and find it hard to excuse the owner for (if Skelator is right then maybe I’m directing my frustration at the wrong person?).

To be fair, I am fairly certain that if given the choice and the opportunity, every supporter would no doubt like to see a Roman Abramovich like owner/investor splurging lavishingly in the transfer market etc. However, finding such a owner is every club's and every fan's dream.

It has to be admitted that football clubs are now being ran like modern corporate organisations in today's modern society. From a business point of view (even business theories differs and there are different variables to determine risks as well), the route that Ashley has chosen to take appears to be a sound one which cannot be faulted at this point in time.

In every business, there are always going to be the positives and the negatives. What some supporters have spoken publicly about are negativities. Why not consider the positive aspects and be optimistic. After all, reasonably, we should all give Ashely a reasonable period of time to determine his success or otherwise failure. Three years would be a more than adequate amount of time. Surely, after so many trophyless seasons, we can afford to wait another three years.

As for some members saying that since Keegan will leave after three years, we should expect him to provide result as soon as possible. Frankly, Ferguson said countless number of times that he will retire but now he is still staying strong. No doubt, we are all anxious for successes and results, however, it should be achieved gradually and securely instead of rushing through matters, which may produce short-term benefits/results but long-term disbenefits/detriments.

If members truly hope to see Keegan stay on after three years, the support is vital and moaning should be kept to the minimum, especially when it comes to 'storm in the teacup' incidents. If you are frustrated and wish to procrastinate, take a deep breadth first and count to 10 or even better, go to sleep instead or ask yourself if your expectation is exceptionally high?

As the situation stands, we flirted with relegation last year, this season seems like a good start. To be honest, I do not think we have any reasons to complain. (at least for now). We drew with Manchester United, last year English Premier League Champion and European Champions League Champion, what more do you as fans want? Is it not enough for now?

Abramovich has spent about one fortieth (£600M) of his £23.5Bn wealth on Chelsea.

Who's risked more?

I am not complaining but when you have Randy Lerner who is worth HALF of Ashley's wealth (I am being overly cautious on this one cos the Times values Ashley in 2007 at 1.9bn and Lerner apparently 800m-ish) telling MO to spend money on players it puts a better perspective on it. 6m on the boro right back 4 mill on the reading left back, 8m on Cuellar and now 10m on Milner (apparently). This to me shows a bit more ambitious approach rather than being a little too prudent like we have been i.e. argueing the toss of a million or so on Colo.

So I reserve judgement till 1 September at midnight.

I think for Ashley to splash the cash, we need to be in europe.

Hes paid off alot of debt, signed a few players this summer (probably £15 million worth) which is a decent amount. I think our squad is better than last season, they will be improving every week in training. This club is on the way up, although people think its on the way down.

Give Ashley another year or two then expect money being invested in the transfer market.

Guest optimistic nit

Abramovich has spent about one fortieth (£600M) of his £23.5Bn wealth on Chelsea.

Who's risked more?

I am not complaining but when you have Randy Lerner who is worth HALF of Ashley's wealth (I am being overly cautious on this one cos the Times values Ashley in 2007 at 1.9bn and Lerner apparently 800m-ish) telling MO to spend money on players it puts a better perspective on it. 6m on the boro right back 4 mill on the reading left back, 8m on Cuellar and now 10m on Milner (apparently). This to me shows a bit more ambitious approach rather than being a little too prudent like we have been i.e. argueing the toss of a million or so on Colo.

So I reserve judgement till 1 September at midnight.

i'd rather have our signed players than theirs, although they have done a good job, and that should be the measure of ambition.

we say that we are not overambitious and that we do not think we have a god given right so succeed, but when you see how some of us go on about ashley its not suprising other fans think this. we know that we're not supposed to finish top 4 anymore, but instead of forgetting that false belief we've just shifted it onto ashley.

we no longer expect CL football, but we expect to have the best chairman in the league. Ashley is expected to spend more than anyone else (why is no one comparing ashley to the chairman of blackburn, everton, pompey or west ham, who have all had shit windows?), if we miss out on ANY player who could even possibly do a job for a top 10 team ashley gets stick, if we wern't in for him we should have been and if we were we should have offered him more money, and the worst one is we're now criticising ashley for not doing things that shepheard did that got the club where it is today, and those are the very same probably protested against shepheard 2 years ago.

Kev above me is spot on, essentially a more conscise version of the above.

how, after last season, are our expectations so high? when you think of how unbelieveably shite we are, i'm over the moon that for the first time in 4 years the club is going, in my opinion, in the right direction.

Guest microbar

Put your hands up, when Ashley took over, who expected us to go out and splash silly money on new players, to not give a f*** about extortionate wage demands, to be able to cancel players' contracts just because we don't think they're good enough and so on?

It's bonkers to me, this argument that seems to filter through that just because Ashley has a few quid in the bank, he should be running the club with his own money. The club has to be sustainable with or without Ashley's cash (don't forget, the papers have him leaving every other week), and it has to be a business run well.

I hate Roman Abramovich.

Trouble is we need to sign just to field a half decent side if we go on and have anymore injuries

we will be lucky to put out a 5 a side team.

Put your hands up, when Ashley took over, who expected us to go out and splash silly money on new players, to not give a f*** about extortionate wage demands, to be able to cancel players' contracts just because we don't think they're good enough and so on?

It's bonkers to me, this argument that seems to filter through that just because Ashley has a few quid in the bank, he should be running the club with his own money. The club has to be sustainable with or without Ashley's cash (don't forget, the papers have him leaving every other week), and it has to be a business run well.

I hate Roman Abramovich.

Trouble is we need to sign just to field a half decent side if we go on and have anymore injuries

we will be lucky to put out a 5 a side team.

We are in a total mess . .  but 'sssshhh' you're not supposed to say so  -  and whatever you do DON'T RESPOND to someone who does say so!

In every business, there are always going to be the positives and the negatives. What some supporters have spoken publicly about are negativities. Why not consider the positive aspects and be optimistic. After all, reasonably, we should all give Ashely a reasonable period of time to determine his success or otherwise failure. Three years would be a more than adequate amount of time. Surely, after so many trophyless seasons, we can afford to wait another three years.

That's what it boils down to, is the poster a 'glass half-empty' or a 'glass half-full' kind of person.

Guest neesy111

anyone who thinks we are in total mess, should go fuck themselves, the club and 1st team is in it's best state for 4-5 years now

anyone who thinks we are in total mess, should go fuck themselves, the club and 1st team is in it's best state for 4-5 years now

whoop dee fucking doo, the club have marginally improved (1st team playing staff wise) upon some of our darkest seasons since joining the PL

you don't take much pleasing you

whoop dee fucking doo, the club have marginally improved (1st team playing staff wise) upon some of our darkest seasons since joining the PL

Would you rather go back to the summer of 2005? 2006?

Of course the club is being better managed then during Freds last couple of seasons

anyone who thinks we are in total mess, should go f*** themselves, the club and 1st team is in it's best state for 4-5 years now

whoop dee f***ing doo, the club have marginally improved (1st team playing staff wise) upon some of our darkest seasons since joining the PL

I like to look a the Villa model.  They didnt spend too much initially and just bought small amounts of quality over time.  That's what I want us to do.

anyone who thinks we are in total mess, should go f*** themselves, the club and 1st team is in it's best state for 4-5 years now

I understand the 'defensiveness' towards criticism of our club, I have reacted like that a million times (perhaps 10 million times) before  -  but we are in a mess.

Denying it, getting upset about it, making comparisons to 'times in the past', and sticking your head in the sand generally, doesn't help!

There is something wrong at our club, there is something very "smelly" going on there (can't think of a better way to describe it) - quite simply, all is not as it should be.

Look at their faces and the words and body language.

I have seen organisations like this before - ill at ease with themselves and with eachother.  Things not happenning, significant progress not being made in the way that it should be.

I do not know what can be done now (a few last minute - even BIG - signings will not cover up the cracks). And, how likely is that (even) to happen.

Keegan's man-management skills with the players has helped get us some reasonable performances - not great performances - and some decent results from those performances . . . so far. When the injuries and suspensions come in with our tiny squad though - we will struggle. We shouldn't even be considering 'struggling' - we should be taking steps to PROGRESS.  That is what is wrong with the club, but the reasons WHY it is so wrong at the club at the moment - we are not privvy to, we can only speculate.

But, lets not hide from the truth . . .

You're a berk if you thought it was as simple as getting a new chairman, getting a new manager and bolting up the league straight away. Need I remind you that there are 13-14 clubs who can and are aiming to finish where we want to. Needless to say I want to be top of the pile but it's not an overnight thing. It'll take another year or two before we start to reap the real rewards of Ashley's reign and see what he's really up to.

We haven't spent as much as I would've liked over the past few months but bids for the likes of Modric and Woodgate, as well as signing Coloccini and Gutierrez (who's compensation package ranges between £5 m-£15 m, depending on who you listen to) show money is there. I get the feeling we've had a real issue attracting players this year with a major tournament occuring this summer. Most of our original targets were at clubs who were unwilling to let them move because they knew a good Euro 2008 would add an extra couple of million onto their fee and a bad Euro 2008 would allow them to keep 'em. Even under Robson we had real trouble during these years (need I remind you of the Miguel saga which saw us end up with Stephen 'kin Carr?) so i'm not overly worried that we haven't spent too much this year. It's not ideal but I don't really think anyone at the club is to blame.

Its all in there if you're prepared to engage about 4 or 5 braincells and actually think about it.

whoop dee f***ing doo, the club have marginally improved (1st team playing staff wise) upon some of our darkest seasons since joining the PL

I like to look a the Villa model.  They didnt spend too much initially and just bought small amounts of quality over time.  That's what I want us to do.

That´s what we are doing right now, but as usually it does not please our fans. Nothing does.