But we're owned by a billionaire!

Dave

I guess the other thing that irks me is that as fans we should know more than anyone else that simply spending lots of money guarantees nothing. We have to build to get to where we want to be, and build on solid foundations.

We have our best ever manager in, who knows exactly what is required to do that, why can't we give him time to work his magic? Why does it all have to be here and now, this summer?

Ashley's comment about KK being very specific about the kind of player we buy is very heartening for me.

You are overlooking the fact that KK himself does not seem to be happy with the whole situation ; he hasn't exactly fallen over himself to back the way the club is being run right now, with comments about being in the dark over signings etc.

You can't have it both ways - yes, we should support the manager, but if he himself is not happy, then you can hardly blame the fans for having doubts.

My view is that Ashley has done a great job in clearing the club's debts, and in trying to get a lean, professional set-up in place ; where I have some doubts are in what looks to be an over-parsimonious transfer policy. I don't think he should be attempting to replicate Abramovitch, but I DO think the reins should have been loosened to the degree that KK could have most of the players he wanted IN PLACE by the time pre-season training started.

I also have doubts about whether KK DOES have the final say in either Transfer Policy or Players' Contracts. Both of these areas are potential minefields for future stability at the club and I think there MUST be some truth in the rumours that KK is only at the club because of financial problems with the Soccer School in Scotland - I know from past experience that he isn't one to accept things 'Not like it said in the Brochure !'

Has Keegan said several times since he came back that "Mike Ashley could be the best owner Newcastle has ever had?" Not the words of someone who is being undermined at every turn by the board, I think you'll agree.

Has Keegan also said, even more recently, that he wished Ashley would tell him about WOW signings before he told Corporate Fans...?? Has he also not been downbeat on the prospect of fewer new signings

arriving by deadline day..??

Not the words of a manager fulsomely praising his Chairman, I think you'll agree...

Why has nobody really chimed in that the team are playing well right now? Yes, we could do with a few more players. Yes, the Milner situation is a bit of a downer. Yes, it's frustrating that Ashley doesn't seem to spending as much as others thought he might, but get a grip. We'll be fine and better off in the long term. How people can complain about signings when we have Jonas and Colo on board is beyond me - I believe that these two could turn out to be two of the best made in our Premiership history.

Furthermore, how many teams have bought big this summer in terms of instant impact on their first team squad? Compared to everyone else we're ahead/not too far behind. The squad is thin, they know it. It's not like they're leaving it deliberately to piss us off/mess the team up, they are aware they need to strengthen but want to do so in a structured, sensible manner with players who will have an impact, play for the shirt and not just sit and pick up massive wages.

Personally, I think Mike Ashley's mint.

Why has nobody really chimed in that the team are playing well right now? Yes, we could do with a few more players. Yes, the Milner situation is a bit of a downer. Yes, it's frustrating that Ashley doesn't seem to spending as much as others thought he might, but get a grip. We'll be fine and better off in the long term. How people can complain about signings when we have Jonas and Colo on board is beyond me - I believe that these two could turn out to be two of the best made in our Premiership history.

How people can make that kind of statement based on 2 or 3 games is beyond me.

Aye. They look good, but that's mental.

I expected more commitment than he's shown in terms of finance, i wasn't expecting RA style, but something decent to jolt us forward quickly, then to let the club build on that by itself.

As it is, he's done quite a shit job so far and it won't get any better from his recent comments. Wouldn't be arsed to see him leave for a proper billionaire.

What exactly do you regard as a shit job? Buying Guthrie, Coloccini, Bassong and Jonas? Negotiating £8m for Dyer, £4m for Shola and possibly £10m for Milner? Seems pretty competent work to me so far.

Where did we finish last season?

12th.

Where did we finish the season before? 13th.

That's an improvement, bitch.

No doubt you'll be fuking your mother in her arse in celebration when we finish 11th?

No, it'll be your mother :)

You're a berk if you thought it was as simple as getting a new chairman, getting a new manager and bolting up the league straight away. Need I remind you that there are 13-14 clubs who can and are aiming to finish where we want to. Needless to say I want to be top of the pile but it's not an overnight thing. It'll take another year or two before we start to reap the real rewards of Ashley's reign and see what he's really up to.

We haven't spent as much as I would've liked over the past few months but bids for the likes of Modric and Woodgate, as well as signing Coloccini and Gutierrez (who's compensation package ranges between £5 m-£15 m, depending on who you listen to) show money is there. I get the feeling we've had a real issue attracting players this year with a major tournament occuring this summer. Most of our original targets were at clubs who were unwilling to let them move because they knew a good Euro 2008 would add an extra couple of million onto their fee and a bad Euro 2008 would allow them to keep 'em. Even under Robson we had real trouble during these years (need I remind you of the Miguel saga which saw us end up with Stephen 'kin Carr?) so i'm not overly worried that we haven't spent too much this year. It's not ideal but I don't really think anyone at the club is to blame.

I guess the other thing that irks me is that as fans we should know more than anyone else that simply spending lots of money guarantees nothing. We have to build to get to where we want to be, and build on solid foundations.

We have our best ever manager in, who knows exactly what is required to do that, why can't we give him time to work his magic? Why does it all have to be here and now, this summer?

Ashley's comment about KK being very specific about the kind of player we buy is very heartening for me.

You are overlooking the fact that KK himself does not seem to be happy with the whole situation ; he hasn't exactly fallen over himself to back the way the club is being run right now, with comments about being in the dark over signings etc.

You can't have it both ways - yes, we should support the manager, but if he himself is not happy, then you can hardly blame the fans for having doubts.

My view is that Ashley has done a great job in clearing the club's debts, and in trying to get a lean, professional set-up in place ; where I have some doubts are in what looks to be an over-parsimonious transfer policy. I don't think he should be attempting to replicate Abramovitch, but I DO think the reins should have been loosened to the degree that KK could have most of the players he wanted IN PLACE by the time pre-season training started.

I also have doubts about whether KK DOES have the final say in either Transfer Policy or Players' Contracts. Both of these areas are potential minefields for future stability at the club and I think there MUST be some truth in the rumours that KK is only at the club because of financial problems with the Soccer School in Scotland - I know from past experience that he isn't one to accept things 'Not like it said in the Brochure !'

Has Keegan said several times since he came back that "Mike Ashley could be the best owner Newcastle has ever had?" Not the words of someone who is being undermined at every turn by the board, I think you'll agree.

Has Keegan also said, even more recently, that he wished Ashley would tell him about WOW signings before he told Corporate Fans...?? Has he also not been downbeat on the prospect of fewer new signings

arriving by deadline day..??

Not the words of a manager fulsomely praising his Chairman, I think you'll agree...

Wasn't that during quite a jovial interview with the press where he was laughing and joking because it was clearly a rumour made up by some attention seeking moron on Rivals?

Until Keegan comes out and says "I can't sign players because i'm not being backed by the fat fella in the Newcastle shirt" then i'm not entirely convinced by the Ashley = Bad argument. Keegan's comments probably stem from the fact deals like Warnock have been going on for weeks but Ince wont entertain the idea of selling.

Guest alankhaw

I think Ashley's done the right thing by limiting our spending to be honest because we've always spent big and have expected big things and in the end have just ended up being dissappointed. He's trying to bring us back down to earth perhaps. 

Guest optimistic nit

i am very happy with the way the club is being run at the moment. my only qualm around mid july, was that it seemed that ashley wasn't willing to spend a large amount on a player, but we spent 10million on a defender, so now if feel that the money will be spent if he can find someone to spend it on.

the market has been slow this year.

i am very happy with the way the club is being run at the moment. my only qualm around mid july, was that it seemed that ashley wasn't willing to spend a large amount on a player, but we spent 10million on a defender, so now if feel that the money will be spent if he can find someone to spend it on.

Spot on. Everton had brought in a sum total of one player (who they had on loan last season) until this week. Now they've started to panic and have signed two players for the sake of it.

Agreed plus its also been a crazy transfer window with the fees being banded about however you cannot win with some.  Players like Crouch, SWP, Johnson etc have become available but at what price and at what salary yet many of those who will complain that we have not purchased these types of players are probably the same people who criticise the transfer policy we have been using in recent years which has seen many other players coming from the top 4/5 on huge salaries only to see in their performances that they are in fact players on the way down, contributing little to the team yet taking a small fortune out of the club season after season. 

I'm just saying that I believe that. Not on their games here, on their history elsewhere. You can tell when players are good, they are. Fair enough it's a bit hyperbolic.

I'll rephrase: Jonas and Colo could turn out to be 2 of the best signings we've made in our Premiership history, time will tell. I'm optimistic.

I don't think there's an issue with money and wages. The problem - as has already been said - is getting players to come to us. We've got a load of people saying how they'd be stupid not to because of the crowds and Keegan and the other lot are going on about not having Europe.

I'm happy with the people we've got so far this window, although I'll be concerned if we don't get another two more names in of the same calibre as Jonas or at the very least, Guthrie.

Personally, I don't think we will.

I expected more commitment than he's shown in terms of finance, i wasn't expecting RA style, but something decent to jolt us forward quickly, then to let the club build on that by itself.

As it is, he's done quite a shit job so far and it won't get any better from his recent comments. Wouldn't be arsed to see him leave for a proper billionaire.

What exactly do you regard as a shit job? Buying Guthrie, Coloccini, Bassong and Jonas? Negotiating £8m for Dyer, £4m for Shola and possibly £10m for Milner? Seems pretty competent work to me so far.

Where did we finish last season?

12th.

Where did we finish the season before? 13th.

That's an improvement, bitch.

No doubt you'll be fuking your mother in her arse in celebration when we finish 11th?

No, it'll be your mother :)

You're a berk if you thought it was as simple as getting a new chairman, getting a new manager and bolting up the league straight away. Need I remind you that there are 13-14 clubs who can and are aiming to finish where we want to. Needless to say I want to be top of the pile but it's not an overnight thing. It'll take another year or two before we start to reap the real rewards of Ashley's reign and see what he's really up to.

We haven't spent as much as I would've liked over the past few months but bids for the likes of Modric and Woodgate, as well as signing Coloccini and Gutierrez (who's compensation package ranges between £5 m-£15 m, depending on who you listen to) show money is there. I get the feeling we've had a real issue attracting players this year with a major tournament occuring this summer. Most of our original targets were at clubs who were unwilling to let them move because they knew a good Euro 2008 would add an extra couple of million onto their fee and a bad Euro 2008 would allow them to keep 'em. Even under Robson we had real trouble during these years (need I remind you of the Miguel saga which saw us end up with Stephen 'kin Carr?) so i'm not overly worried that we haven't spent too much this year. It's not ideal but I don't really think anyone at the club is to blame.

Haha, i apologize for the daft comment, but we'll have to finish at least 9th for my mother. ;)

All those are valid points, but none more than if we spend big and build a decent platform to play off, then were going to see progression a lot quicker, the odd over paying for a player is irrelivant if we have a billionaire owner ready to spend and we achieve Euro football in the process.

My personal belief at the moment is that Keegan has set his sights high in terms of the players he wants to bring in. He keeps re-iterating in interviews that anyone who comes in has to be almost top quality. We're probably having difficulty in bringing in these kind of players given our current reputation and standing and so it's probably gonna be a case of the fans and Keegan settling for players who aren't quite as good but will do a job for this season or signing no-one and just hoping we can get away with it this season then go back in for the higher quality players next year.

Guest optimistic nit

how bad would this place be if we had had everton, west ham or blackburn's transfer window? or were in citeh's cituation? pompey, villa et al haven't done any better than we have either in the window, pompey imo have done quite a bit worse. spurs also STILL need 3 players before they can call themselves the 5th best team in the league (essentially just to get them back up to the position they held 2 years ago, after spending all that money last season).

sunderland are rumoured to have paid 8million for ferdinand (2 less than colo) i think.

Guest optimistic nit

and our success (well apparent success at this stage) is all the more remarkable when you consider that we are the only club out of all the clubs i mention in my post above (apart from the mackems) without european football this season.

Mike ashley, is a Billionaire, yes, however. This does not mean, he has a billion in cash as ' Working Capital'

It counts his assets, shares in busineses, ownership of the toon etc. houses, holiday homes.

I think, though i may be wrong, buying the toon, and the hidden 40 mil debt, made a huge hole in Ashleys working capital ( thats the cash he has at hand to invest in stuff). Which therefore restricts what he can now afford to spend on players, thus he is unwilling to take the sort of risks Shepherd wouldnt have worried about.

To spend Money Ashley, has to turn assets into cash, ie sell shares in other stuff... after what he forked out, hes prob, thinking, hes spent enough.And the club needs to be generate its own cash now.

Compare to Roman Abra.....whatever, who has a working capital, that runs into billions itself.

Mike Ashley has spent about a fifth (£250M) of his £1.4Bn wealth on Newcastle.

Abramovich has spent about one fortieth (£600M) of his £23.5Bn wealth on Chelsea.

Who's risked more?

Anyone complaining wants their fucking head read.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Abramovich has spent about one fortieth (£600M) of his £24Bn wealth on Chelsea.

Who's risked more?

Anyone complaining wants their f***ing head read.

Shouldnt have got in over his head then should he!

Who's risked more?

He hasn't.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Who's risked more?

He hasn't.

In relation to your arguement, he has!

Who's risked more?

He hasn't.

How's that?

Who's risked more?

He hasn't.

That's like saying if you had 200 grand in the bank and you spent 40 grand on buying a business you would be in over your head.

and then I just bump in and post this link.

Before anything's being said: yes, I know it's The Sun.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1605899.ece

Now, let me just quote this rather interesting part :

Chelsea’s latest financial figures revealed the club are £736m in debt with £578m of that owed to Abramovich in an interest-free loan.

Since those figures were released, they have paid a further £24m for Deco and Jose Bosingwa.

And ask you all, would you rather have this?