La Liga 2008/09

Mr. Snrub

Guest kingdawson

Schuster obviously wants the Madrid board to sack him so he can get his pay off. Every time the opposition has scored against madrid lately, schuster has just sat there with his arms crossed not giving a fuck.

Guest timmy boy

Was obviously coming after those comments, they made his position untenable.

How many managers do Real go through? Seems like they change every season!

Every manager fails at Real.

No matter how much they win, how well they play, something will go wrong. It's the ultimate poisoned chalice and in terms of common sense, is a ridiculous move for any manager.

But, it's Real Madrid, so who'd refuse?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7773422.stm

Ramos in.

Real Madrid have sacked Bernd Schuster as coach and replaced the German with former Tottenham manager Juande Ramos until the end of the season.

The 54-year-old's first game in charge will be Wednesday's Champions League match at home to Zenit St Petersburg.

Real are fifth in the Primera Liga, nine points behind Barcelona, who they face in El Clasico on Saturday.

The Madrid board had given Schuster, 48, several votes of confidence before Sunday's 4-3 home defeat by Sevilla.

Schuster, whose side was knocked out of the Copa del Rey by little-known Real Union, conceded after the match that his side was incapable of winning at Barcelona.

"We spoke to Schuster this morning about all the difficulties over the past few months," said Real director of sport Pedja Mijatovic.

"We came to the mutual agreement to take this decision. He took the decision well.

"I have to take the opportunity to thank Bernd Schuster for the work he did at Real Madrid. He did an excellent job last season to win the title and the Spanish Supercopa."

Ramos, who has signed a six-month contract, was sacked as manager of Tottenham in October following Tottenham's worst start to a season.

But he made his reputation in Spain by leading Sevilla to back-to-back Uefa Cup wins in 2006 and 2007.

"I would like to thank the board for their confidence - I face this job with excitement. It's everybody's dream," he stated.

"I hope I don't let anyone down and that I achieve the successes that this club has set for this season.

"In most of my previous jobs I have had short contracts. We came to a quick agreement and I'm delighted.

"If I'm happy at the end of the season then I might extend the contract. Both sides are free to see what happens."

Schuster enjoyed a successful first year at the Bernabeu, retaining the league title his predecessor Fabio Capello clinched in 2007.

But attempts to win it for a third successive time have floundered amid a spate of injuries and Barcelona's resurgence under new boss Pep Guardiola.

On Monday, Mali international Mahamadou Diarra became the latest Real player to be struck down after it emerged he will sidelined for six to nine months because of a knee injury.

Diarra joins Ruud van Nistelrooy, Gabriel Heinze, Pepe, Wesley Sneijder, Miguel Torres and Ruben de la Red in the treatment room.

Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas also gave an insight into the negativity surrounding the club on Tuesday when he admitted they were not capable of challenging for the league title on current form.

Casillas told radio programme El mirador de Punto Radio: "At the moment the team isn't capable of winning trophies because Barcelona lead us by nine points and it's true that they're playing well.

"We are going through a bad run. Defensively we are vulnerable - and I'm the first (to blame).

"At the moment it seems that our opponents will have three chances and score three goals and it's clear that we are all to blame.

"I have been 10 seasons in the Primera Liga and this, for now, is the worst start I have had."

Guest LucaAltieri

I can see Juande Ramos at Real Madrid by Christmas given that they can't appoint someone who's currently in a job until June.

Well done that man.

Should have had some money on it.

Guest Stephen927

Look at Capello, won the league for Real Madrid for the first time in a couple of years and he's sacked for his style of football. Crazy man.

Guillem Balague has said that Valencia could be on the verge of administration, their debts are so big.

Might see David Villa in the Premiership sooner rather than later.

City it is then...or maybe Liverpool if they sell Keane.

Villa wouldn't go anywhere near Man City.  He's already turned down Chelsea saying he's not about the money.

Guest timmy boy

Depends how much City offer him, if it's as crazy as say 200k a week I can't see him turning it down especially if Valencia desperately need the cash from his sale.

Guest Heneage

Guillem Balague has said that Valencia could be on the verge of administration, their debts are so big.

Might see David Villa in the Premiership sooner rather than later.

City it is then...or maybe Liverpool if they sell Keane.

Villa wouldn't go anywhere near Man City.  He's already turned down Chelsea saying he's not about the money.

I can see him going to which ever team he prefers Robinho may be able to sell him the idea of Man City. He won't want to leave but the 50m plus suggested fee could save Valencia.

Guest Stephen927

Villa has talked recently about moving if the deal is good for Valencia. If City offers stupid money and is the only bid accepted, then it's likely he'll move.

Liverpool would be his best bet if they could find the money. Him and Torres up front, plus the Spanish contingent at Liverpool would help him settle in quickly.

Guest Stephen927

Or it could go the other way and give him a bit of a kick up the backside in a way, not that he needs it too much because he's doing most things right except finding the back of the net.

It'll come in time, players like Keane don't turn crap overnight.